Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I guess we can't Out-Bama Bama

Started by upperdeck_hawg, October 11, 2014, 11:20:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

upperdeck_hawg

I mean the notion of lining up and pounding the ball on an SEC defense like we did to Tech.

Our D played like a real SEC defense today. Our offense was predictable and easy to stop.

I still believe that the HUNH/spread offenses are the great talent equalizers and we will continue to struggle to score points with our methodical approach.
I don't hate the guy.  He's a great Hog, and a needed contributor.  I despise that he does not understand his role as a complimentary player puts an absolute ceiling on this team.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

RAZORHOGG15

Step away from the ledge upper deck it's only year two man.  Things will be alright
ONE TEAM ONE HEART ONE GOAL

Never make the mistake of confusing kindness for weakness

TMc

Not yet.  Until we able to do just that.., I think we are going to have to be more dedicated to the passing game so that we can run it more effectively against these better defenses.  I think we need to adapt and adjust a bit.

Jek Tono Porkins

The hunh is not an equalizer. Can Newton and Johnny Manziel are equalizers. If you could out scheme bama Petrino would have found a way to do it. Simple as that.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

Atlhogfan1

Our offense did as well as Ole Miss' last week with the exception they scored on Bama's gifts.  We had opportunities to make plays in the passing game.

Lets keep bitching though that we aren't a HUNH.  We should hire Lashlee and scrap everything we are doing.  This is so easy to quit.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Science Fiction Greg

Quote from: upperdeck_hawg on October 11, 2014, 11:20:00 pm
I mean the notion of lining up and pounding the ball on an SEC defense like we did to Tech.

Our D played like a real SEC defense today. Our offense was predictable and easy to stop.

I still believe that the HUNH/spread offenses are the great talent equalizers and we will continue to struggle to score points with our methodical approach.

Literally a 4 year-old's football logic.
I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.
Twitter sucks now. I deleted my account. I mostly just use TikTok now.

upperdeck_hawg

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 11, 2014, 11:24:41 pm
Our offense did as well as Ole Miss' last week with the exception they scored on Bama's gifts.  We had opportunities to make plays in the passing game.

Lets keep bitching though that we aren't a HUNH.  We should hire Lashlee and scrap everything we are doing.  This is so easy to quit.

You just made my point. Ole Miss has plays to get what they call bunch yards through a vertical passing game. That is why they scored touchdowns and we could not.
I don't hate the guy.  He's a great Hog, and a needed contributor.  I despise that he does not understand his role as a complimentary player puts an absolute ceiling on this team.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

Fletch

Saban has had his machine going for 8 years. In year 2, we are almost their equal. Hard to put a negative spin on that, but some will give it their best.
I feel like $100

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: upperdeck_hawg on October 11, 2014, 11:26:56 pm
You just made my point. Ole Miss has plays to get what they call bunch yards through a vertical passing game. That is why they scored touchdowns and we could not.

We made plays in the passing game from a bunch formation as well.  We used our TE's like Ole Miss.  But I'll join you.  Frank it, lets quit.  We need to scrap what we are doing and hire Lashlee or Chadd Morris.  Maybe this will be the beginning of the end of Bielema and we can move on in a couple of years.  I can't wait till we go finesse spread. 

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

upperdeck_hawg

Quote from: Fletch on October 11, 2014, 11:27:22 pm
Saban has had his machine going for 8 years. In year 2, we are almost their equal. Hard to put a negative spin on that, but some will give it their best.

He will be hiring a spread HUNH coordinator soon too. He cant stop them so he'll be smart enough to join them.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

Break & Run

We out-Bama'd Bama today. We just didn't capitalize on mistakes. But we did out-Bama them today.
Quote from: Michael BernalWhat's your favorite Arkansas tradition?
"I can't be cliché and say 'Call the Hogs,' but I think I have to.  That's just something that sets our university apart.  When you're out on the field and everyone in the stadium stands up, it's amazing.  Even when we're at a football or basketball game, just to see that many people around you doing the same thing for you when you're on the field or for the other guys who are playing, it's pretty awesome."

Science Fiction Greg

Apparently people don't even realize that we are not trying to "Bama."
I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.
Twitter sucks now. I deleted my account. I mostly just use TikTok now.

Fatman

How are we their equal when they played as poorly as I have ever seen a Bama team play and we still lost?? Not negative spin reality. When we were given gifts we turned them down. We are a long way from winning games in the SEC on a regular basis . Does not mean we are not good it means that the whole division has stepped up their game also

roothawg

We did out bama bama. A freak fumble, bobbled hold on the field goal try,  throwing the ball to the covered receiver instead of a WIDE open hatcher, and the defense not intercepting the ball when it hits them in the numbers cost us 13 to 17 points. we have been our own worst enemy the last 2 games.

MuskogeeHogFan

The only team that has rushed for more yards against Bama than us is Florida and that was in large part to Driskels 59 yards in scrambling of their total of 107.

Our defense played well enough to give us a chance to win, holding Alabama to its lowest total offense for the year to date.

As a team that still needs to mature, we made some mistakes that cost us, but this team just gave #7 Alabama all that they wanted in the most difficult game that they have had this year and they were lucky to win.
Go Hogs Go!

code red

With this offense u can't absolutely can't have drops and u can't miss open recievers......and you must get rid of the ball quick.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

jdevers

Per ESPN:

Alabama had seven 3-and-out drives Saturday against Arkansas, its most under Nick Saban. The Crimson Tide had five total such drives in their first five games of the season.

That is a pretty good start at looking a bit more like Bama.  The offense needs depth and a few talent upgrades and it will be "good enough".

Letsroll1200

We played a good game but didn't take advantage of the gifts. I hope they don't allow bama to beat them against Georgia. Have to keep grinding and having confidence.

WarPig88

Seriously, this is a weak Bama team in relative comparison to Saban led Bama teams. I would put this as his weakest team since his first year at Bama.

If we were ever going to out Bama, Bama, last night was the night. History suggests that they won't get worse over the course of the next year on the offensive side of the ball.

They have youth on the O line and a shaky qb situation with a new OC. Any improvement on offense and they win going away if they just stand pat on D.

We should improve as well, but our ceiling has never been equal to Bama's.

hobhog

No way you watched he game....

pigture perfect

I was seething last night. This morning paper cleared several things up for me. We beat Bama in every statistical category except the score board. HDN was not always wrong when he said, we are close. Just one play away. Play calling was not as bad as it seemed, it seems. Win lose or draw I'm sticking with this team as I see things each week that have improved.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Pig Worshipper

Alabama is on the way down and we're on the way up. Yes, we'll be able to beat them soon and on a regular basis. Saban has made a huge mistake by changing his offense. It's going to make things easier for us in the future.

upperdeck_hawg

Seriously, this is a weak Bama team in relative comparison to Saban led Bama teams. I would put this as his weakest team since his first year at Bama.

If we were ever going to out Bama, Bama, last night was the night. History suggests that they won't get worse over the course of the next year on the offensive side of the ball.

They have youth on the O line and a shaky qb situation with a new OC. Any improvement on offense and they win going away if they just stand pat on D.

We should improve as well, but our ceiling has never been equal to Bama's.
[/quote]

This Bama team is not as weak as Sabans first. I'd compare it to the 2010 team which we should have beaten. They had just lost 8 or 9 guys on defense to the NFL and we had a BCS team that should have beaten them in Fayetteville.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

Fayettechill14

We did out-Bama Bama. We outgained them by over 100 yards. A fumble through the endzone and a blocked extra point have nothing to do with the scheme.

urkillnmesmalls

You just watched us out Bama Bama, assuming you even watched the game.  The only thing that didn't illustrate that was the final score.  We were ONE play away from winning that game on several occasions, and we just didn't quite get it done. 

Let me ask you something.  You're saying that power football can't win anymore and the HUNH is the answer.  Have you watched Oregon at all this season?  Did you see Rich Rod at AZ get beat yesterday by the mighty USC's?  How about MSU vs. Auburn? 

So much fail in your post.  Maybe BA isn't an elite QB, and we don't have any elite WR's.  Does that mean we never will?  I LOVE it that we're proving that we can match anyone we play physically.  The prospect that when we do get those elite skill players in place, we will be able to play with anyone makes me look forward to the future.   

The days of winning football games in the trenches aren't over.  Bama just doesn't possess the line this season that they have in years past, and they're having to adapt.  Don't kid yourself into thinking Saban won't go right back to the power game though. 

What style do you think MSU is playing right now?   

I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on October 13, 2014, 12:23:39 am
We did out-Bama Bama. We outgained them by over 100 yards. A fumble through the endzone and a blocked extra point have nothing to do with the scheme.

What are your thoughts on the UGA game?  I think our kids are going to come out with their hair on fire and play possessed, and we're going to beat them easily.  I can just feel a break out game, and the kids are so ready to win that it's not even funny.  They have to be gaining confidence, and obviously the defense has gotten more familiar with what they're being asked to do. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

Fayettechill14

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on October 13, 2014, 12:37:20 am
What are your thoughts on the UGA game?  I think our kids are going to come out with their hair on fire and play possessed, and we're going to beat them easily.  I can just feel a break out game, and the kids are so ready to win that it's not even funny.  They have to be gaining confidence, and obviously the defense has gotten more familiar with what they're being asked to do.

Assuming Gurley does not play, it will either be a close loss or a blowout win. Without Gurley, we shut down their run, pressure their QB, and force mistakes. Or at least we should.

On offense, Allen's going to have to make some throws, but the good news is that Georgia's pass defense isn't very good. Worley and Thompson torched them, and neither are great QBs. Their run defense looks very average, but I suspect it's actually pretty decent. Not Alabama good, but we'll have to throw to win.

I'll be pretty disappointed if we don't win, especially if Gurley is out.

Boarcephus

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on October 12, 2014, 12:42:06 pm
As a team that still needs to mature, we made some mistakes that cost us, but this team just gave #7 Alabama all that they wanted in the most difficult game that they have had this year and they were lucky to win.

We start 8 soph's and jr's on offense and it's almost the same on defense.  That's a young team.  When you watch Bielema's PC after the game you know we're in good hands.  This guy will bring in the talent.to compete because kids and their parents love the guy.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

rljjr

So when we throw that oblong spherical object we don't want to get a lot of yards? I'm pretty sure I saw something resembling a football flying against the grain of these little white lines every five yards or so. Hmm. Guess I missed the event AND intent of that.

Hogfaniam

Until Chaney can figure out how to attack the middle of the field with our current personnel, these arguments will persist.
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

Steef

+1

Been a lot of hate on the board this weekend. And stupidity.

Corkscrew Johnson

How many underclassmen are starting/playing on our online?   I think we just out-bama'd bama on Saturday with a bunch of youngsters we threw in the fire

popcornhog

In only one year of Bielema's system we've gone from getting destroyed 52-3 or 52-0 to playing them within a missed PAT in this system.

What are you talking about? The evidence is directly contrary to what you're saying.
WPS

jneal56

Ignorant. That is all I can say without being banned on this post. You obviously have no idea what is really going on the field to make this post. You want to know what we didn't do? We didn't secure the ball when we should have and we lost somewhere between 60-100 yards of field position by not at least fair catching the punts. Letting them bounce and roll 10-15 yards each time really takes it's toll. We ran the ball effectively. Those who say we didn't have no idea what they're talking about. Bama defense is one of the best in college football. Running effectively doesn't mean you have to get 6 yards a pop. Running effectively against this defense means you open up the passing game. Which it did. Look at how many times we had open receivers and couldn't get them the ball. I don't think BA's accuracy is to blame as much as timing is still a little off. He still holds on to the ball a little too long sometimes. Our defense did the same thing to their offense which is a very amazing stat in my eyes. This team is coming around 1-2 seasons before most thought it would. The coaches game plan on both offense and defense worked. The execution by the players is what did us in. The two that come to mind is the fumble costing us a TD and possession and Collins fumble. There were 3 missed int's if I recall as well that hit our players right in the numbers. There is the difference in the game. Period.
"At least we are moral"

jneal56

Quote from: Hogfaniam on October 13, 2014, 07:03:37 am
Until Chaney can figure out how to attack the middle of the field with our current personnel, these arguments will persist.

In our formations, it is very difficult to attack the middle of the field in the passing game. Especially when we are in two TE. Every defender is bunched to the middle of the field. Timing on out routes needs to improve dramatically as well as some wheel routes. The throw to JWill that was intercepted at the end was a great play had he been able to set his feet to throw or at least had the arm strength to throw it far enough for JWill to either run it down or be over thrown to where nobody could get to it. Both of BA's ints this year I have not been upset with him on his part. Last year's frenzy of pic 6's compared to what he has done this year is a drastic improvement.
"At least we are moral"

Boarcephus

It wasn't but a couple weeks ago Sumlin was talking about how much of a bitch it was to prepare for our offense.  I like the way we're going and I'm not at all unhappy with Chaney. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

gmarv

our team as a whole is so young and inexperienced they are still learning.the games probable still seem very fast to them.as they mature as players it will slow down and the mistakes we are making will magically go way down.then we will beat these teams we are losing to.

Shorttimer

I'm tired of the meme that keeps getting some run on this board that Bama just didn't play well and we still couldn't beat them. 

There's really only two possibilities for what happened:  either the team that had been averaging about a half mile a game in total offense completely forgot how to play offense OR maybe, just maybe, the Arkansas defense stymied them. 

Based on the defensive improvement I've seen from this team from week to week, I'm leaning toward #2.

Corkscrew Johnson

Quote from: gmarv on October 13, 2014, 09:10:15 am
our team as a whole is so young and inexperienced they are still learning.the games probable still seem very fast to them.as they mature as players it will slow down and the mistakes we are making will magically go way down.then we will beat these teams we are losing to.

This is an obvious truth, and I can't understand why more of our fans don't appreciate it. 

onebadrubi

We were too much like bama.  With hocker we'd be 2-1 in SEC play right now. 

upperdeck_hawg

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on October 13, 2014, 12:33:23 am

What style do you think MSU is playing right now?   

Enlighten me. I dont think I saw a two tight end I-formation set the whole game when I watched their Auburn game. They run a spread similar to what Urban Meyer ran at Florida.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

EastexHawg

Quote from: Shorttimer on October 13, 2014, 09:21:17 am
I'm tired of the meme that keeps getting some run on this board that Bama just didn't play well and we still couldn't beat them. 

There's really only two possibilities for what happened:  either the team that had been averaging about a half mile a game in total offense

Here's Bama's schedule so far this year.  Who was the best team they had beaten coming into Saturday night?

http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/333/alabama-crimson-tide

This isn't 2009 or even 2013 Alabama.  They have a first year QB who is not particularly good.  T.J. Yeldon was a very good back for the Tide when he didn't have to be the feature back and carry the load by himself...and when they had A.J. McCarron as a legitimate passing threat.

They have probably the best receiver in the country in Amari Cooper but Sims couldn't get the ball to him.  Other than the wide open dump pass to the tight end that went for 47 yards Sims was 10 of 20 for 114 yards.  As someone posted in another thread, he is the reincarnation of the QBs LSU has been running out onto the field for most of the Les Miles era.

The Alabama defense will be the only reason they don't have an extremely disappointing season this year.  They're good enough to beat most teams by themselves, as they showed Saturday night.

sickboy

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on October 13, 2014, 12:23:39 am

This. What game were people watching? We just out-bama'd bama in year two. We're not even there yet and we out bama'd bama.

Been10Hog

So if we run the HUNH, whay your saying is we would not have fumbled the ball out the back of the end zone for a touchback, would not have muffed a snap for a FG attempt, had a PAT blocked, had AC fumble the ball away 1st play after we held Bama on 4th and 1. I see the reasoning here!! I'm starting to catch on.

The fact that Mike and Mike said we dominated the game and that Bama should have lost is ridiculous. They don't see your brilliance! The answer is clearly the HUNH like every other team in the conf and eventually the country are running

I guess Chris Carter, when asked about the Cowboys beating Seattle on Mike and Mike didn't know what he was talking about either when he said: "Teams that play with physicality will always be relevant whether in Sept, Nov, or Feb, whether in a dome or out in the elements in winter. Cowboys need to scrap their rushing attack in put in HUNH.

Another idiot who never played the game and only plays with himself!!

upperdeck_hawg

Quote from: Been10Hog on October 13, 2014, 11:12:17 am
So if we run the HUNH, whay your saying is we would not have fumbled the ball out the back of the end zone for a touchback, would not have muffed a snap for a FG attempt, had a PAT blocked, had AC fumble the ball away 1st play after we held Bama on 4th and 1. I see the reasoning here!! I'm starting to catch on.

The fact that Mike and Mike said we dominated the game and that Bama should have lost is ridiculous. They don't see your brilliance! The answer is clearly the HUNH like every other team in the conf and eventually the country are running

I guess Chris Carter, when asked about the Cowboys beating Seattle on Mike and Mike didn't know what he was talking about either when he said: "Teams that play with physicality will always be relevant whether in Sept, Nov, or Feb, whether in a dome or out in the elements in winter. Cowboys need to scrap their rushing attack in put in HUNH.

Another idiot who never played the game and only plays with himself!!

Lol..easy there fella. You're trying to make a comparison between the pro game and the college game here and it's not fair because in the NFL, the playing field is level. They all get to draft their players. In college, teams like Ole Miss, Mizzou and Miss State can gain an advantage by running schemes that are difficult to defend.

By the way, the number 1 and two ranked teams in the country right now run either a spread or HUNH or both.

Last year, two HUNH teams played in the SEC championship. One of them was in their second year of the SEC.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

Been10Hog

Quote from: upperdeck_hawg on October 13, 2014, 11:19:55 am
Lol..easy there fella. You're trying to make a comparison between the pro game and the college game here and it's not fair because in the NFL, the playing field is level. They all get to draft their players. In college, teams like Ole Miss, Mizzou and Miss State can gain an advantage by running schemes that are difficult to defend.

By the way, the number 1 and two ranked teams in the country right now run either a spread or HUNH or both.

Last year, two HUNH teams played in the SEC championship. One of them was in their second year of the SEC.
I think our "scheme" did pretty good little fella!

Not going to argue with someone who has never played div 1 football that thinks they know it all. I'm glad we're headed where we're headed! Played competitive with 3 top 5 teams in year 2 of "our scheme". Cuddle up with your HUNH blanket!

Hog Fan...DOH!

If we had a Laquan (sp?) Treadwell, things would be very different. 

Also of note, Ole Miss did not run the HUNH against Bama very much- if at all. Freeze stated, and I'm paraphrasing from the announcers, that the HUNH causes too many offensive mistakes against big time SEC defenses.   

Finally- the Arkansas team is a work in progress.  Prior to the year, pretty much everyone said the goal should be 6-6.  That CBB would be coach of the year at 7-5.  Guess what? If you're a 6-6 team, you're going to have deficiencies. 

Hog Fan...DOH!

Quote from: EastexHawg on October 13, 2014, 10:58:08 am

The Alabama defense will be the only reason they don't have an extremely disappointing season this year.  They're good enough to beat most teams by themselves, as they showed Saturday night.

I'm convinced that Bama has the only D in the country that could have stopped that pass from Allen to Williams- even though Allen's throw wasn't great.  The consistent discipline and athleticism is presently unmatched by anyone. 

upperdeck_hawg

Quote from: Been10Hog on October 13, 2014, 11:37:00 am

Not going to argue with someone who has never played div 1 football that thinks they know it all. I'm glad we're headed where we're headed! Played competitive with 3 top 5 teams in year 2 of "our scheme". Cuddle up with your HUNH blanket!

you're obviously old school. you're trying to point out how great you are by saying you've played competitive football so you know more than the rest of us. Another flawed argument. I'm willing to bet half of the Nfl coaches never played competitive football. But yeah, good for you that you played competitive football. You win a lollipop.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

Fayettechill14

Quote from: EastexHawg on October 13, 2014, 10:58:08 am
Here's Bama's schedule so far this year.  Who was the best team they had beaten coming into Saturday night?

http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/333/alabama-crimson-tide

This isn't 2009 or even 2013 Alabama.  They have a first year QB who is not particularly good.  T.J. Yeldon was a very good back for the Tide when he didn't have to be the feature back and carry the load by himself...and when they had A.J. McCarron as a legitimate passing threat.

They have probably the best receiver in the country in Amari Cooper but Sims couldn't get the ball to him.  Other than the wide open dump pass to the tight end that went for 47 yards Sims was 10 of 20 for 114 yards.  As someone posted in another thread, he is the reincarnation of the QBs LSU has been running out onto the field for most of the Les Miles era.

Please don't play the "but who have they beaten?" card halfway through the season.

You could do that for most teams in CFB. See, I'll show you:

1. Oregon probably sucks. Lost to Arizona. Who have they beaten? UCLA, whose best win is Texas (2-4) or Virginia (4-2, lost to BYU), Washington State (lost to Nevada and Rutgers), and Michigan State (best win Nebraska, who has beaten no one)

2. Auburn probably sucks. Lost to Miss State. Who have they beaten? LSU, which also lost to Miss State and has Wisconsin (no quarterback, lost to Northwestern) as its best win.

3. Ole Miss probably sucks as well. Sure they beat Alabama, but as you so artfully established, Alabama probably sucks. Texas A&M? Needed OT and some luck to beat Arkansas. Aggies did beat South Carolina, but as we all know, South Carolina sucks (lost to UK and Mizzou).

4. Mississippi State? Give me a break. We've established that their three big wins - LSU, Auburn, and Texas A&M - all suck, so they do as well.

5. Baylor? Sucks. Beat 2-4 Texas and had to come from behind to beat TCU. Sure, TCU beat Oklahoma, but Oklahoma doesn't have a quarterback, struggled with Texas, and has beaten no one of note. So Oklahoma sucks, TCU sucks, Baylor sucks, everyone sucks.

6. Florida State? HA! Struggled with NC State, who has been blown out by BC and Clemson in back to back weeks. Sure they beat Clemson, but Clemson sucks. Clemson lost badly to Georgia, who sucks because they've beaten no one and lost to South Carolina, who also sucks, and Clemson's only quality win is Louisville. Apologies to Bobby Petrino, but Louisville sucks. They lost to Virginia, who we already established sucks (lost to BYU, who lost to Utah State, who lost to Arkansas State, so they all suck).

7. Ohio State sucks. Lost to Virginia Tech AT HOME. VT lost to East Carolina, who sucks due to losing to South Carolina who sucks, and to Georgia Tech, who sucks due to losing to Duke who sucks due to losing to Miami and beating no one.

So everyone sucks. No one will be in the playoff. College football will end after the conference championships.