Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is it just me?

Started by kiddhog, October 11, 2014, 11:19:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

kiddhog

Is it just me?

But when we are in  a position where we have to pass .... for example we are down 14-13 , with 2 minutes to go and we get the ball on our own 20...

that when we have to pass to move down to win a game, we have absolutely no chance? i mean under CBB, every time, I can recall under these circumstances we have failed miserably . I mean its not even close.

I understand the " run, beat them down, run clock, time of possession , turn over free, perfect game " theory. However when  you battle your ass off for 58 minutes and have the ball to win... shouldn't have an offense that gives yourself a chance to win??

Jek Tono Porkins

Well, there's this concept called defense. You see, Alabama has all-American defensive players on their team. That makes moving the ball on alabama's defense really hard. That's what Alabama does. They shut down offenses. You think that with a different scheme, BA and our receivers would have just carved up bama's secondary?
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

kiddhog

Quote from: Jek Tono Porkins on October 11, 2014, 11:21:44 pm
Well, there's this concept called defense. You see, Alabama has all-American defensive players on their team. That makes moving the ball on alabama's defense really hard. That's what Alabama does. They shut down offenses. You think that with a different scheme, BA and our receivers would have just carved up bama's secondary?
Quote from: Jek Tono Porkins on October 11, 2014, 11:21:44 pm

OH OK .. I see so we have no issues at all.  thanks for your comments.. I guess we only play all american defenses

kiddhog

Jek Tono....

Not trying to be an a...hole... I think you missed my point. we got 18 first downs and moved the ball "fairly" decent against Bama's tough defense. However, the main reason we have any chance at success at passing is when we have the threat of the run. So when we battle all game long, and have to be put in a position to pass only to win...we fail miserably every time. its usually 3 and out and its an ugly 3 and out... just go back to our games where we have been in that position.

i guess another thing I'm saying playing the " hold on to the ball, run the clock, keep their offense off the field" only works when you build huge leads. I don't think we have any chance to come back from behind to win.

JaketheSnake

We have a tendency to fall short in the 4th quarter... This didn't start with CBB

hawgon

Quote from: kiddhog on October 11, 2014, 11:19:07 pm
Is it just me?

But when we are in  a position where we have to pass .... for example we are down 14-13 , with 2 minutes to go and we get the ball on our own 20...

that when we have to pass to move down to win a game, we have absolutely no chance? i mean under CBB, every time, I can recall under these circumstances we have failed miserably . I mean its not even close.

I understand the " run, beat them down, run clock, time of possession , turn over free, perfect game " theory. However when  you battle your ass off for 58 minutes and have the ball to win... shouldn't have an offense that gives yourself a chance to win??

No, you are absolutely right.  We are completely inept offensively when we must pass.  We have no hope whatsoever of moving the ball down the field like that.

Jek Tono Porkins

So is having a pass-first offense and no running game to speak of somehow better? See Arkansas-Alabama 2011. I just don't understand what you want. If a defense shuts down a phase of your offense, you will struggle on offense. This is true for every team ever. I think what you want is an offense that is able to move the ball all the time regardless of the circumstance. I think that's called the magical unstoppable offense and as far as I know that doesn't exist in this universe.

hogginbama

Looks like someone panics something terrible and can't mentally go through the progressions. At the beginning of the game, you have time to recover from it, at the end of the game....well, we saw what happened a second game in a row.
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

WarPig88

Run heavy pro style schemes and teams are not known for their 2 minute offensive ability, and never will be.

It is vital that they stay close most of the game and have the lead late. If not, then they will struggle.

rickm1976

Quote from: hogginbama on October 11, 2014, 11:45:05 pm
Looks like someone panics something terrible and can't mentally go through the progressions. At the beginning of the game, you have time to recover from it, at the end of the game....well, we saw what happened a second game in a row.

That's called "choking".

Magic_Hogg

Magic_Hogg

We just missed too many opportunities.  How many times did bama fumble and no recovery or interceptions that bounced off the defender's hands?   Bama fumbled on that one kickoff return and we didn't get it.

AR can't do that.  And win.

And the PAT.  Got to make those. 

IDK have to hit on all cylinders as best you can and take advantage of every opportunity that presents itself. 

kiddhog

Quote from: Jek Tono Porkins on October 11, 2014, 11:44:37 pm
So is having a pass-first offense and no running game to speak of somehow better? See Arkansas-Alabama 2011. I just don't understand what you want. If a defense shuts down a phase of your offense, you will struggle on offense. This is true for every team ever. I think what you want is an offense that is able to move the ball all the time regardless of the circumstance. I think that's called the magical unstoppable offense and as far as I know that doesn't exist in this universe.
I think I want an offense that can dominate the line of scrimmage , control the clock, etc... but I also want an offense thats not totally inept that can't move the ball 40 yards in 2 minutes to set up for the winning field goal"... whether it's Bama, A&M or any team... just a chance???

kiddhog

Quote from: Magic_Hogg on October 11, 2014, 11:53:02 pm
Lol

What's funny? the fact that i would want a " 2 minute offense" ? or the fact we will never have that under CBB? I'm not saying it's a given when we are down and we automatically drive into scoring range... but we have not shown ANY ability at all up to this point.... Take todays game, or overtime at A&M, or MSU overtime last year... when teams know we have to pass... we are toast... plain and simple

kiddhog

Quote from: Magic_Hogg on October 11, 2014, 11:57:22 pm
We just missed too many opportunities.  How many times did bama fumble and no recovery or interceptions that bounced off the defender's hands?   Bama fumbled on that one kickoff return and we didn't get it.

Kind of my point ... play a perfect game or lose ... we still had the ball with 2 minutes to go and down 1. we couldn't gain a yard? not one yard... so do we have to play absolutely perfect or we lose?

AR can't do that.  And win.

And the PAT.  Got to make those. 

IDK have to hit on all cylinders as best you can and take advantage of every opportunity that presents itself. 

Jek Tono Porkins

And what evidence as arkansas provided thus far that they can't do that? We were gashing a&m late in the game until penalties and botched snaps got us, that's not exclusive to a certain offensive style. And again, you want the magical unstoppable offense that is able to march down the field against bama's defense late in the game. That doesn't exist. Go watch the 2010 Wisconsin-Iowa game. Or the 2011 big ten championship game. Both of those games, the offense won the game in the final minutes. And then go watch the 2010 arkansas bama game and tell me how that offense designed to come from behind and win fared against alabama's defense. Particularly the last two offensive drives.

Magic_Hogg

Quote from: kiddhog on October 12, 2014, 12:03:03 am
What's funny? the fact that i would want a " 2 minute offense" ? or the fact we will never have that under CBB? I'm not saying it's a given when we are down and we automatically drive into scoring range... but we have not shown ANY ability at all up to this point.... Take todays game, or overtime at A&M, or MSU overtime last year... when teams know we have to pass... we are toast... plain and simple

No I was just laughing at that is called a "choke" comment. 

kiddhog

Quote from: Jek Tono Porkins on October 12, 2014, 12:06:26 am
And what evidence as arkansas provided thus far that they can't do that? We were gashing a&m late in the game until penalties and botched snaps got us, that's not exclusive to a certain offensive style. And again, you want the magical unstoppable offense that is able to march down the field against bama's defense late in the game. That doesn't exist. Go watch the 2010 Wisconsin-Iowa game. Or the 2011 big ten championship game. Both of those games, the offense won the game in the final minutes. And then go watch the 2010 arkansas bama game and tell me how that offense designed to come from behind and win fared against alabama's defense. Particularly the last two offensive drives.

I don't know .. maybe a first down in overtime ... that would be a start.. i think we dint have one on the MSU overtime last year? i know we didn't against A&M this year, and we sure as hell didn't get a 1st down when we got the ball back with 2 minutes to go tonight.. i guess i will flip it around.. so me any evidence we have every moved the ball under CBB with a chance to win late??

kiddhog

Quote from: Magic_Hogg on October 12, 2014, 12:10:03 am
No I was just laughing at that is called a "choke" comment. 

got you... i don't think we choked at all. i think our guys played their hearts out. i just don't think our scheme allows us any chance to win from behind

Jek Tono Porkins

So you want the magic offense. Answer me this question: we had the scheme that allowed us to come from behind and win in 2010. Why didn't that work against bama? You are asking a dumb question and not thinking it through. This is year 2. It's called growing pains. If it's still happening in year 3 and 4 then I'll be concerned. Our problem is mostly depth and inexperience. Not scheme. Scheme is overrated.

kiddhog

Quote from: Jek Tono Porkins on October 12, 2014, 12:24:11 am
So you want the magic offense. Answer me this question: we had the scheme that allowed us to come from behind and win in 2010. Why didn't that work against bama? You are asking a dumb question and not thinking it through. This is year 2. It's called growing pains. If it's still happening in year 3 and 4 then I'll be concerned. Our problem is mostly depth and inexperience. Not scheme. Scheme is overrated.

ok you win... no need to worry... i think if we keep recruiting like we are, we will play perfect football in the coming years  and never have to come from behind to win... i get it .. be patience.. it's coming... scheme is overrated ...  got it.. thanks for your help...

Jek Tono Porkins

I've never said we'll never have to come from behind to win. Again, Bielema's team had to come from behind and win at Iowa in 2010. And the big ten championship game in 2011. The problem is that you're just too lazy to look these things up.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: Jek Tono Porkins on October 12, 2014, 12:35:03 am
I've never said we'll never have to come from behind to win. Again, Bielema's team had to come from behind and win at Iowa in 2010. And the big ten championship game in 2011. The problem is that you're just too lazy to look these things up.

He has also lost games where he was up 2 scores in the 4th quarter. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

kiddhog

Quote from: Jek Tono Porkins on October 12, 2014, 12:35:03 am

well if you really look into CBB's teams you will see he has a tough time  closing in the 4th QTR to win games. You point to one win in his coaching career against Iowa of all teams... in case you don't know we are in the toughest division  in the entire country... i love his ideal ... "no penalties, control clock, time of possession , mistake free football"... i think thats great... but at some point you have to have an offense that can win the game late... give me one example of ANY drive in the 4th QTR in CBB's 18 games (which isn't fair)  so lets say close games .. Rutgers, Ole Miss(not really), MSU, A&M, Bama... I understand you will say it's year 2 and give him time... but we moved the ball in all of those games until we had to...

Hogsooey

Quote from: Jek Tono Porkins on October 12, 2014, 12:24:11 am

No, he's asking for an offense that can execute late in the game with the game on the line. Arkansas for the last two years has not been able to do that against anyone. We have rarely shown that we can do it late in the first half with less time on the clock, even when we have enough time to run the ball. We can hope that this problem gets figured out, but the evidence is not there to show that it will be. You can point to this being year two, which is fine, but we might as well not even debate anything if that is the counter argument. We can't make a FG! It's only year two!