Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Did Cole Hedlund redshirt? Sure could use him

Started by whosiskid, October 11, 2014, 11:08:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

whosiskid

I have been a bit confused as to why we haven't been using Cole Hedlund. He is one of the best kicking prospect we have landed in a long time, but he seems to have vanished. I'm guessing we redshirted him. But why? I notice that he was listed as weighing only 155 last year, so perhaps we are trying to beef him up a bit?

All I know is that he was supposed to be the solution to our kicking problems, but he doesn't seem to be playing a role this year. Given that we aren't recruiting any place kickers I assume he is the plan for next year, but why redshirt him this year when we had no kickers on deck?
"It's no trick to make a lot of money...if all you want...is to make a lot of money." - Bernstein, in Citizen Kane

"What if you were given the task of entertaining yourself all day but were finished by noon?" - Kierkegaard

"The disposition to admire, and almost to worship, the rich and the powerful, and to despise, or, at least, to neglect, persons of poor and mean condition [is] the great and most universal cause of the corruption of our moral sentiments." - Adam Smith

"That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves." - Kim Stanley Robinson

hawgon

Quote from: whosiskid on October 11, 2014, 11:08:09 pm
I have been a bit confused as to why we haven't been using Cole Hedlund. He is one of the best kicking prospect we have landed in a long time, but he seems to have vanished. I'm guessing we redshirted him. But why? I notice that he was listed as weighing only 155 last year, so perhaps we are trying to beef him up a bit?

All I know is that he was supposed to be the solution to our kicking problems, but he doesn't seem to be playing a role this year. Given that we aren't recruiting any place kickers I assume he is the plan for next year, but why redshirt him this year when we had no kickers on deck?

Don't worry, the kicking game won't cost us this year.

whosiskid

Quote from: hawgon on October 11, 2014, 11:09:48 pm
Don't worry, the kicking game won't cost us this year.

Where did I say I was worried? I think what I actually said was that I was confused. Still confused.
"It's no trick to make a lot of money...if all you want...is to make a lot of money." - Bernstein, in Citizen Kane

"What if you were given the task of entertaining yourself all day but were finished by noon?" - Kierkegaard

"The disposition to admire, and almost to worship, the rich and the powerful, and to despise, or, at least, to neglect, persons of poor and mean condition [is] the great and most universal cause of the corruption of our moral sentiments." - Adam Smith

"That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves." - Kim Stanley Robinson

Tick Hog

Quote from: whosiskid on October 11, 2014, 11:21:54 pm
Where did I say I was worried? I think what I actually said was that I was confused. Still confused.
Yes he will redshirt. Apparently he had trouble learning to kick off the ground vs the tee used in High School. I do agree it's a very weird thing to redshirt a kicker on scholarship

PorkerOinker

The KICKER had nothing to do with the missed extra point tonight, if you think he did you were clearly not watching the game.
"America promises equal opportunity, not equal outcomes"-Paul Ryan

Waldron_Hog

I sill grant you the ATM game was lost in part due to inability to make a make able fg. But not this week. 

The pat was blocked. Not on the kicker
The snap was high n holder couldn't control it. Again not on the kicker.

I just can't understand all of the kicker hate this week?

bphi11ips

Quote from: Tick Hog on October 11, 2014, 11:30:47 pm
Yes he will redshirt. Apparently he had trouble learning to kick off the ground vs the tee used in High School. I do agree it's a very weird thing to redshirt a kicker on scholarship

He learned to kick off the ground long before he stepped foot in Fayetteville.  That's not the issue. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

hawgon

Quote from: Tick Hog on October 11, 2014, 11:30:47 pm

He kicked off the ground in high school.

Tick Hog

Quote from: hawgon on October 11, 2014, 11:34:35 pm
He kicked off the ground in high school.
Ok Sorry that's what I read somewhere prob here. Obviously the staff just missed on the kid then.

hawgon

Quote from: Tick Hog on October 11, 2014, 11:59:18 pm
Ok Sorry that's what I read somewhere prob here. Obviously the staff just missed on the kid then.

They didn't miss on him.  They think redshirting him is more important than putting the best kicker on the field this year.

bphi11ips

Quote from: Tick Hog on October 11, 2014, 11:59:18 pm

He was 24 of 26 last year with a long of 52 yards.  He was Parade's All-American kicker.  The coaches missed, but not on Hedlund.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Tick Hog

If any of you have watched our team attempt a FG then somebody has dropped the ball somewhere period.

311Hog

Quote from: Tick Hog on October 12, 2014, 01:49:29 am
If any of you have watched our team attempt a FG then somebody has dropped the ball somewhere period.

^^^ this.  our current kickers may not be the best but they are servicable.   The problem is in the teams as a whole. No way should an extra point be blocked, or one of the MANY fumbles tonight not recovered. I mean we couldnt even kick the ball into the end zone on kicks offs or pooch any punts. Bama's punter was a weapon tonight the only real shining performance from any of the special teams on both sides.

If we cant realistically kick a 40 yard FG or an extra point then there is a major problem.

PorkSoda

have we even made a field goal this year?  Our special teams are a mess this year.  I can only assume we are spending our practice time on offense and defense, and saving ST practice for spring.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Peppa Pig

Quote from: PorkerOinker on October 11, 2014, 11:33:26 pm
The KICKER had nothing to do with the missed extra point tonight, if you think he did you were clearly not watching the game.

Wrong!!!!

The kicker should always get under a PAT and get enough height on it that it's unblockable.