Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hogville Offensive Coodinators Kill Me

Started by S.A.D.C, October 11, 2014, 10:46:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerrajo

Quote from: racinghog on October 12, 2014, 08:03:36 am
Well there you have it ladies and gentlemen.

What Jr. High did you throw away your Mcdonalds career for ?

jdevers

Quote from: ricepig on October 12, 2014, 08:25:00 am
Ole Miss rushed for 76 yards against Bama, next.......

And that was with a receiving threat we can only dream of.  We won't play another team that shuts down our run game like that until next year, it is what that defense is built and recruited to do from the ground up.  Until Bama changes defensive schemes in order to better protect against all the spread teams, we will never run well on Bama...doesn't mean we can't beat them every so often though once we get a play maker at QB and a couple at WR.

S.A.D.C

Quote from: Jerrajo on October 12, 2014, 07:09:58 am
Oh no its time for the you're not an expert so you can't have an opinion thread. Next its you're not a fan if you don't agree with everything that the coach does thread.

We have had more than one game where the two minute offense was run poorly. We had 3 minutes on one occasion and at least one timeout. With the defense spread out and expecting the pass we didn't even attempt one single run. Let that sink in.

And I don't care if I'm not a college football coach or not. A good OC NEVER abandons the run. Its not about having to pick up 5 YPC. Its about having the threat there. Its about keeping the defense honest.

You can make arguments for talent or depth. And maybe thats the case. But the play calling is bad. Unless we can get out there and run all over people we can't score. Thats because we don't spend enough time in the passing game in practice. BA knows where he's going to throw the ball before the snap. He isn't being taught to make reads. He's being taught to look at one guy then toss the ball out of bounds if he's covered.

We need a good OC. You guys can say what you want but I wouldn't be shocked to see CBB show Chaney the door at the end of this season. I get it all the guys who think Chaney is doing well are all division 1 coaches. And those who disagree are a bunch of nobodys who don't understand college football.

Next we won't even be fans.. Got it.

Not at all what I am saying.  Chaney may not be good.  I don't know but every single week the posts on play calling shown up- even after we took TT's manhood away from them.  I just think people need to recognize that this team has more issues than simply play calling.

I will say Chaney called good enough plays for us to have scored 24 points last night (fumbled a TD, blocked FG, missed extra point).  To me he is only the problem if you think someone else's play calling with this team would have given us a chance to score more than 24.  (Keep on mind Ole Miss only scored 23 on them.  Bama might not be good as a team- but their defense is still legit.

LJHOG

You can't coordinate what you ain't got.  Alabama stopped the run game and we don't have anything else to go to.  Our passing game cannot function in obvious passing situations.  We don't pass protect well.  We don't have one playmaker at WR, and our QB is not equipped to put the team on his shoulders and win the game.

Kevin

is chaney predictable because that is how he coaches or is he predictable based on qb & wr talent
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Mr. Hog

Quote from: moses_007 on October 12, 2014, 07:43:41 am
I won't deny the fact that he wasn't a great coach.  But, he had the ability to motivate his team to win some games that no one gave them a chance to win, such as the 2000 Cotton Bowl against Texas.  I have yet to see that with Bielema.

He also had the ability to lose with three really good NFL running backs on his team!
Go Hogs Go!

Jerrajo

Quote from: S.A.D.C on October 12, 2014, 08:47:18 am
Not at all what I am saying.  Chaney may not be good.  I don't know but every single week the posts on play calling shown up- even after we took TT's manhood away from them.  I just think people need to recognize that this team has more issues than simply play calling.

I will say Chaney called good enough plays for us to have scored 24 points last night (fumbled a TD, blocked FG, missed extra point).  To me he is only the problem if you think someone else's play calling with this team would have given us a chance to score more than 24.  (Keep on mind Ole Miss only scored 23 on them.  Bama might not be good as a team- but their defense is still legit.

I get where you are coming from. But if he's going to cause us to lose some big games once we have all of the pieces because he gets predictable then he needs to go now. I'm not 100 percent sure Chaney can't get it done. But the way he abandons the run makes me very uncomfortable. I also don't care for the fact that he NEVER seems to run the ball from the shotgun formation. Why not do something different ? Our two minute offense has been all pass all year. Even when we had 3 minutes and timeouts left. That bothers me.

It also bothers me that BA is still deciding where to go with the ball before the snap instead of making his reads. Thats coaching. He should have come off that fade and hit Hatcher on that one series. Thats also coaching. So QB not making reads and play calling thats easily predictable by formation are two things that are really bothering me about Chaney at this point. I don't see how its a talent problem. It just looks like bad coaching.

Maybe I'm just spoiled from years of enjoying a man who could coach QB's and make really good calls. I don't see why we can't find a better OC than Chaney.

GuvHog

I'm not so much disappointed with the Hog offensive game plan as I am those silly mistakes they've been making. If it weren't for a fumble inside Bama's 1 yard line, a missed Field Goal, and a missed extra point, the Hogs would have beaten Bama by at least 10 points. A team can'[t make those mistakes and still beat Bama.

The Defense however, played lights out. Holding Bama to 14 points was a heck of a night for them. Even with all of the mistakes the offense and special teams made, the Defense stood tall and gave the Hogs a chance to win it.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Southpaw Hawg

Quote from: Jerrajo on October 12, 2014, 07:14:08 am
Where do you coach college football ? Sarcasm off.  ;)

That's the beauty of a message board.  You can critique and should feel free to do so.  I hope you've never complained about Obama Care unless you're ready to grab your shize and move to 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue. . . see my point?

Jek Tono Porkins

Oh my god I agree with guv. That weird feeling you feel is a tear in the space-time continuum. Good post guv. A red zone turnover is pretty much a death nail against Alabama. None of you would be bitching about Chaney right now if walker had held on to the ball.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

ricepig

Quote from: LJHOG on October 12, 2014, 08:49:55 am
You can't coordinate what you ain't got.  Alabama stopped the run game and we don't have anything else to go to.  Our passing game cannot function in obvious passing situations.  We don't pass protect well.  We don't have one playmaker at WR, and our QB is not equipped to put the team on his shoulders and win the game.

Correct, we have to run either play action, short routes, or two man routes to give our QB time for a deep pass. Skipper is a monster, but #7 beat him several times, making BA flush out of the pocket. Now, they did say he twisted an ankle and wasn't 100%, my question, where was Jefferson?

HogPound

Bobby could have and would have beat Bama.

Oh wait.

Jerrajo

Quote from: Southpaw Hawg on October 12, 2014, 09:23:40 am
That's the beauty of a message board.  You can critique and should feel free to do so.  I hope you've never complained about Obama Care unless you're ready to grab your shize and move to 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue. . . see my point?

Dude you should work on your reading comp.. I was agreeing with him and using sarcasm.. Try reading it again.

Jerrajo

Quote from: HogPound on October 12, 2014, 09:55:45 am
Bobby could have and would have beat Bama.

Oh wait.

I for one believe Bobby would have killed this Alabama team given this same Arkansas squad. I know its not the popular thing to say here when for some reason all the sudden the coach everyone loved suddenly became "cancer" since he was no longer our coach.. Strange how that happens..

Sheep.

ricepig

Quote from: Jerrajo on October 12, 2014, 10:02:32 am
I for one believe Bobby would have killed this Alabama team given this same Arkansas squad. I know its not the popular thing to say here when for some reason all the sudden the coach everyone loved suddenly became "cancer" since he was no longer our coach.. Strange how that happens..

Sheep.

Same as the sheep who can't get the smell off their feet, but he's gone, no need to discuss.

Jerrajo

Quote from: ricepig on October 12, 2014, 10:04:47 am
Same as the sheep who can't get the smell off their feet, but he's gone, no need to discuss.

No not the same. Sheep are the ones who allow a group of message board bullies to dictate their opinions to them.

Petrino did a lot of good here. He had an affair. People do that. It didn't suddenly make him a bad coach unlike whats constantly blasted on here. He's a great coach who did a bad thing. Thats what a sheep does. Thinks what he's told to think.

I understand he's not coming back. Thats unfortunate. I wouldn't come back here either after the way he was used by Long to further his career. Thats our loss. 0-15 says as much. Petrino never had the luxury of playing against such a crappy Alabama team. He would have destroyed Saban last night.

CBB on the other hand doesn't have any identifiable strengths as a head coach other than running the ball. Any idiot can do that. HDN made a living doing it. Petrino was the best coach we have had since being in the SEC and maybe the best coach we ever had. Running him off was stupid. But hey Long's happy. And I guess his sheep are too.

HogPound

Trade in the hog fan card and get yourself a Louisville card, you bastige. Don't need your types here for the program. That idiot is looking for idiot fans in Kentucky. Go forth.

sigpooie

It's a given that the rest of the teams on out schedule will make BA the goat. He can't play at this level and looks confused on plays that would have worked if he could hit a zone around or near the wr. They would have also worked if he could take a tap without falling to the ground. So I don't see blaming this on Chaney, even though I don't think he is that good (ala TN). But the last two games fall  right on BA and his ability to fake the coaches into thinking he's the best option on campus.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! Hunter "my buddy" Thompson

Tusks

If the hogville DC were coach Bama's D, how would you beat the hogs? You'd load up on the run and make BA beat you with his arm.

Pretty simple with all that D talent. 

Unfortunately that's what they did and it worked.  BA could not beat Bama with his arm no matter what play Chaney called.

With the talent Bama has on D, you're not going to run on them when they have 8-9 in the box, you're just not going to do it.  You can try but it won't happen. 

So what do you do?

Oh and for the 'screen' kids.  Chaney has said the hogs OL doesn't block in space very well so getting them out in space and them hitting a block on a screen doesn't happen. So why waist the play?
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Jerrajo

Quote from: HogPound on October 12, 2014, 10:20:08 am
Trade in the hog fan card and get yourself a Louisville card, you bastige. Don't need your types here for the program. That idiot is looking for idiot fans in Kentucky. Go forth.

FYI I enjoy Louisville. Petrino is doing well for his first season there. And hey bastige I don't have to trade in my fan card just because I think our AD is a self promoting scum bag. I love my hogs despite the crappy leadership on the Hill. If it wasn't for poor decisions we could have been contenders far more than what we have been. By the way the last time we contended was under the coach you hate. And for no other reason than Long told you too.

Maybe you're the one who should turn in your fan card. Because you would rather trust the media and Jeff Long then actually care about how bad the program has gotten. Excuse me for not being a yes man to Mr. Integrity and for not enjoying 0-15 !!!

Maybe you should think for yourself.

Sow Lancelot

Quote from: ricepig on October 12, 2014, 08:01:08 am
Well, I think he is to the degree that we don't run enough combo routes or get separation from our WR's. All of our big passing plays came from BA scrambles or play action, something that was more than a basic route.

Which to me says a ton about the ability of our receivers, much more than it says about the play-calling, except as it seems to be limited due to the WRs skills.
"Nec vitia nostra nec remedium tolerare possumus." Livy
Nihil boni sine labore, sic vis pacem, para bellum.

jkstock04

I guarantee you could go back in the Hogville archives and find threads just like this one with the "level headed folks" doing all they could to defend Houston Nutt's play calling. History does often repeat itself.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Fatty McGee

Quote from: jkstock04 on October 12, 2014, 11:26:14 am
I guarantee you could go back in the Hogville archives and find threads just like this one with the "level headed folks" doing all they could to defend Houston Nutt's play calling. History does often repeat itself.

Not true.  Tecmo Bowl was huge then. 
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

MTBrookHog

Quote from: S.A.D.C on October 11, 2014, 10:46:13 pm
The post game/Monday morning offensive coordinating that happens here exhausts me to no end.  Has to be the easiest, most low-brow, weak take ever to constantly question play calling.  It is so easy to do.  It is idiotic.

You want to run more but when the running game isn't working and we keep running it you want them to throw.  Hell- some of you wanted us to throw more when we were getting 12 yards a carry at TT.  When we throw and it doesn't work you want us to run.

If you guys are such offensive geniuses what the hell are you doing on Hogville? And why isn't your paycheck coming from a football team?
How dare you come on here and put down the greatest offensive minds X-Box and Playstation have assembled on a message board. You sir should be ashamed!

Fatty McGee

I want them to do the opposite of whatever play they called that didn't work. It's so clear that's all we need to do.
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

31to6

Quote from: Oklahawg on October 12, 2014, 12:02:54 am
Damn fine OP.

Rote beginners are always smarter than seasoned veterans. Suuuuuurrrrrrrre. LOL

I am quite pleased with things. Frustrated, but pleased - progress is much further along than all but the most pie-in-the-sky optimists could have hoped for.
I don't understand why we don't try harder to get the ball in the hands of our playmakers in hurry-up situations. Even NFL spread teams in the "passing league" will mix in draws, screens and pitches into their hurry-up situations to get the ball in the hands of their play makers and punish the defense for dropping 7 into coverage every down.

three hog night

Quote from: dmaxfan on October 11, 2014, 11:55:47 pm
I agree. I also remember the "fire Willy" bandwagon that I was a part of and soon found out Willy wasn't the problem, but recruiting was. That is the same problem we have now, and if no one can understand that and see the dramatic improvement we have made after 1 year of Bielema/Chaney recruiting, they are either ignorant or blind. I blame impatience mostly though.

We have a lot of fans that are drinking and posting, too dumb to know anything about football, or angry because they gambled money on the game.  Sometimes it is a combination of all.
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 
Posters that think they are Jim Rhome are ruining message boards.

racinghog

Quote from: Jerrajo on October 12, 2014, 08:39:32 am
What Jr. High did you throw away your Mcdonalds career for ?
Ouch!!! That hurt!!!! Let me guess you are one of those we were warned about a month or so ago? Yeah after reading your other post there is definitely an agenda here.

But you also miss understood my suggestion. You could coach as a community coach and not have a career as a teacher. Just show up for practice and show all the coaches what you know. I am sure in time you will be the offensive coordinator at the local HS.

By the way it wasn't McDonalds but Wendy's!!!!

three hog night

Quote from: Jerrajo on October 12, 2014, 10:32:57 am
FYI I enjoy Louisville. Petrino is doing well for his first season there. And hey bastige I don't have to trade in my fan card just because I think our AD is a self promoting scum bag. I love my hogs despite the crappy leadership on the Hill. If it wasn't for poor decisions we could have been contenders far more than what we have been. By the way the last time we contended was under the coach you hate. And for no other reason than Long told you too.

Maybe you're the one who should turn in your fan card. Because you would rather trust the media and Jeff Long then actually care about how bad the program has gotten. Excuse me for not being a yes man to Mr. Integrity and for not enjoying 0-15 !!!

I wish that we could ban trash posters
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 

code red

Quote from: S.A.D.C on October 11, 2014, 10:46:13 pm
The post game/Monday morning offensive coordinating that happens here exhausts me to no end.  Has to be the easiest, most low-brow, weak take ever to constantly question play calling.  It is so easy to do.  It is idiotic.

You want to run more but when the running game isn't working and we keep running it you want them to throw.  Hell- some of you wanted us to throw more when we were getting 12 yards a carry at TT.  When we throw and it doesn't work you want us to run.

If you guys are such offensive geniuses what the hell are you doing on Hogville? And why isn't your paycheck coming from a football team?

Run sets up our pass genius.  Our pass game is useless without run sprinkled in. We panicked again.  0-6 vs SEC teams when ahead or tied at half.  Defensed are taking away the run when they have to. 
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

wupigsuey

Quote from: Jerrajo on October 12, 2014, 10:32:57 am

Always love these posts. "the hogs suck but I love 'em"
A Hogville member since July 24, 2004<br /><br />The average response time of a 911 call is 23 minutes, <br />the response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

wupigsuey

Quote from: code red on October 12, 2014, 12:24:40 pm
Run sets up our pass genius.  Our pass game is useless without run sprinkled in. We panicked again.  0-6 vs SEC teams when ahead or tied at half.  Defensed are taking away the run when they have to. 

Does run set up the pass if you cant run?
A Hogville member since July 24, 2004<br /><br />The average response time of a 911 call is 23 minutes, <br />the response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

three hog night

Quote from: code red on October 12, 2014, 12:24:40 pm

We have played AU and Bama with 2 solid to great defenses.  We play in the SECW and that means we are not playing Tulsa, Rice, Southern Miss.   THere is valid reasoning why we have trouble in our 2nd year of a rebuild

Southpaw Hawg

Quote from: Jerrajo on October 12, 2014, 10:00:38 am
Dude you should work on your reading comp.. I was agreeing with him and using sarcasm.. Try reading it again.

My bad . . . I stand corrected.