Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Program Status and Some Analysis

Started by NorCalRazorback, October 11, 2014, 10:29:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

NorCalRazorback

I do think that BB is building a program.  The team shows more fight and has definitely made progress.  We all should have known that the pure passing attack that Petrino had going - was not going to lead to an SEC Championship...not in the SEC.  The Razorbacks play in the SEC West.  At it's purest, that means, year after year, you have to be able run the ball, convert third downs, play well against the run and most of all that every year you have to beat Alabama and Auburn.  Ole Miss and Mississippi State are on the rise, and watching A&M, a pure passing game won't cut it.  BB is building a team that - and mark my words - is one year away.  Why wouldn't it be one year away.  There was not good talent when BB got here.  The D-Line could not stop the run.  The O-Line couldn't drive and allow the RB's to run. 

Next Year the O-Line will be 2X better than this year.  Wallace is redshirting, Ragnow get's another year of weights and film, Tretola, Skipper and Kirland will all be All-SEC.  Our D-Line will also be considerably better next year with Philon, Bijon, Hodge and Taiwan... imagine them with one more year under our Strength and Conditioning program.  We have all our backs coming back, plus Juan Day and the kid from Texas we signed already.  JoJo will be a key add to our WR's and he is the speed merchant we need.  Tight End - we're set with what we have and some amazing freshman coming in.  BB has redshirted for next year.  We have very, very good players that are sitting, watching, watching film, and lifting this year - next year, they will make a very positive contribution and be that extra bit that we need.  Davyon McKinney is being redshirted (I guess) and with him and the kid from Dollarway (Liddell) we have some studs that are getting ready for next year.  The back half of the defense will be really good next year.

All that said, BA still seems to get a bit excited on the Go Routes and Posts - and his passes are a bit too flat hence our receives cannot run under them.  I don't know if he can fix that, and we need to be able to hit those passes.  All of that said about BA, you cannot argue that he is not a competitor. Kids lays it out and tries... I'm actually surprised at how well he runs.

In the loss to Auburn, we were 2 quarters off.  In the loss to A&AM, we were a whole quarter off.  In the loss here to Bama, we were right there. 

I wish though that Chaney would use our Running Backs a bit more.  Our O-Line is built for the run.  Bama showed some crazy fronts, and fits - and as a result our running game stuttered, but Chaney needs to stick with it a bit more.  Also Korliss is home run hitter, but even home run hitters need to see a few more pitches to see before they break one.  I think J-Wil is awesome, has good vision, is secure with the ball and a brute.  We need to use Korliss on fly sweeps or find ways to get him through B gaps or edge runs.  Alex, well he can go anywhere as he has great cutback and great feet.

We're almost there, and should beat Georgia and LSU... Ole Miss and Miss State - I think they have too many seniors and they will likely take us out. 

Be patient.  It's inconceivable to think that this is our year...but next year, we will run the table in the SEC West.  I believe that to the core.
"...and Decori Birmingham has caught it in the back of the end zone to tie it at 20 all with 9 seconds left..." 

Miracle on Markham '02
Arkansas 21 LSU 20

Bubba's Bruisers

I'd say we are ahead of schedule...or at least ahead of my schedule.  Need playmakers in the passing game.  Desperately.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

NorCalRazorback

BA just seems to get excited and fires without touch.  Coaching can help with that, but I am not sure he is the starter next year.  I keep wishing that Duwop was in the mix, because he has an arm, can run, and would cause a defense to keep a safety in tight.

I don't know much about Austin Allen and haven't seen enough of Rafe Peavey... and I do think that BA is competitive, but he gets too excited and just completely misfires in the clutch too much. 

Chaney should work with him on progression reads... he still locks in on the hot route a bit too much. 

We will be better next year, lots better, but you have to have that QB that can ice it in the clutch and that's hurtin' us this year.
"...and Decori Birmingham has caught it in the back of the end zone to tie it at 20 all with 9 seconds left..." 

Miracle on Markham '02
Arkansas 21 LSU 20

Wants2Win

If not next year then the next. Then the next..then the next.

redeye

Good post OP!

In hindsight, I'm sure some of the reason we didn't run more was due to Collins not playing much.  My understanding is that he missed the 1st quarter for discipline reasons, but I guess the fumble was the last straw.

I'm not sure what to think with how Korliss has been used, but they're either targeting him or he doesn't have the same acceleration as last year.

I'll also add that I agree that we should have a very good team next year, but MSU is the only SEC-W team losing much.  The whole conference is young.  The biggest thing for us is that we're building depth.

davidharwood

I see the OP is located in Northern California. My wife and I lived in lovely downtown Turlock for ten years, she as an RN at Emanuel Hospital and me as a "chicken biochemist" for the poultry company home-based in Livingston. We made some wonderful friends there, and moved back to Arkansas two years ago. Can't say that I miss a thing about the area other than that San Francisco was only 90 minutes away.
My name has been carved on the UA sidewalks a total of 3 times, and my daughter's twice, but when I stop getting chills from the Alma Mater and the opening of the Hog Pen gates, I'll know it's time to stay home by the fireplace and wait for the new John Sandford novel.

NorCalRazorback

Quote from: davidharwood on October 12, 2014, 12:07:42 am
I see the OP is located in Northern California. My wife and I lived in lovely downtown Turlock for ten years, she as an RN at Emanuel Hospital and me as a "chicken biochemist" for the poultry company home-based in Livingston. We made some wonderful friends there, and moved back to Arkansas two years ago. Can't say that I miss a thing about the area other than that San Francisco was only 90 minutes away.

You are right brother... How about the super high state income taxes in California.  Married a girl from here (California) almost 20 years ago and doubt I will get to move back to the Great State of Arkansas, but I own a home in Hot Springs, and land in the Ozarks...and Gob Bless Me because I am still a RazorHog fan through and through!

Miracle on Markham '02
Arkansas 21 LSU 20