Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2nd half timeouts

Started by woo_pig_al, October 11, 2014, 09:35:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

woo_pig_al

Was at the game watching live and couldn't believe it when we used 2 time outs that early in the 4th quarter in a one point game. Not that I expected the offense to miraculously string a 1minute together, but we had no time after bama ran the clock down even after we had forces a punt. Was not impressed with bielema's calls there.

IllinoisRazorbackFan

Yup. People are missing the part that Bert blew this game as much as BA didn't

eusebius

The usage of timeouts is concerning. CBB uses his timeouts much like Nutt did: early in the game or in panic situations because we aren't in the right formation or don't get the play called in time. That was something that Petrino rarely did. At the end of halves we had our timeouts with CBP. Saban had his timeouts as well tonight. It's those in game management issues that I thought were a thing of the past.
These things I know: There's no doubt Gary Anderson was very underrated . . Ike Forte had the best number ever for a running back and the best thing about the option was that last second pitch right before the DE hits the quarterback.

rogers-hog

Well in the 2nd half one was taken for the challenge of jwills spot.

eusebius

Quote from: rogers-hog on October 11, 2014, 09:46:08 pm
Well in the 2nd half one was taken for the challenge of jwills spot.

That's the risk you run. Some coaches will do that and others will not challenge in order to save the TO for later. Some will take a delay of game instead of burning a TO, because being moved back 5 yards is not a big deal. But, when you are a team that cannot afford to get behind the chains, sometimes coaches burn TO's early. Coaches uses of TO's is often predicated on the kind of offense they run and how much confidence they have in the QB on the field to make decisions.
These things I know: There's no doubt Gary Anderson was very underrated . . Ike Forte had the best number ever for a running back and the best thing about the option was that last second pitch right before the DE hits the quarterback.

dzeppfan77

October 11, 2014, 09:55:24 pm #5 Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 10:06:55 pm by dzeppfan77
I remember when bielema was hired a wisc fan called into an arkansas talk radio show and said bielema's clock management skills are horrible. He gave several examples. He also went on to tell about bielema's poor record against ohio st and mich as well as 2 (would have been 3) straight rose bowl losses. Can handle the cupcakes, but can't beat the really good teams.

MountieDawg

The timeout on 4th down was ridiculous
SEC!

azhog10

It's the timeouts he wasn't given that truly hurt our chances.

Bubba's Bruisers

I still can't believe everybody thinks going for it at mid field with over 7 minutes left with our D playing lights out was a fantastic idea.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

azhog10

I liked the idea. High risk, high reward. You get the first and you have a chance to run the clock way down and score a TD or get a field goal. Defense was playing well enough to do it.

BigoBoys

Got nothing to do with this loss