Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Down 2 go for two?

Started by pigscuits, October 11, 2014, 09:35:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Bacons Rebellion

Quote from: WarPig88 on October 11, 2014, 10:05:04 pm
Extremely poor logic for anyone watching the game. Bama was not going to score 2 more times, that was evident.

I understand the math, but wasn't relevant to this game. Bama was only going to score one more time at the most.

It was completely asinine especially when afterward you "gamble" trying to draw Bama off sides and have to waste a timeout.

If you were going to gamble, should have been for a 2 pt conversion.

Poor logic? It's impeccable logic.

The math was entirely relevant to the game.

You just want to cry and brag how smart a coach you would be. If we had lost 13-12, you would on here, bragging how you would have kicked the extra point and how smart you are.

bigred223

Wow do people not realize we were ahead at that point. People who are saying we were down 2 and should have gone for 2 are freaking killing me. Go rewatch the game bc you clearly were too drunk to realize what was actually happening. Probably the same people putting the loss squarely on BA.

hawgfan4life

Going for 2 would have been stupid.  You kick PAT in that situation every time.  Two point would have been low percentage play and you get down and fire opponent up if you miss.  You u also allow them to beat you with two FG which would be very doable with that much time. Kick it and force them to beat you with a TD AND have to stop you from getting a FG in the amount of time you need 2 FG.  Going for 2 would have been a dumbass move.

hawgfan4life

Science Fiction Greg

Quote from: WarPig88 on October 12, 2014, 12:52:04 am

As a matter of fact, it held to be true and some of you still can't see the folly of the decision.

You cannot use the results as evidence in a probability-based calculation.
I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.
Twitter sucks now. I deleted my account. I mostly just use TikTok now.

Hogarusa

Quote from: WarPig88 on October 11, 2014, 11:32:05 pm
Your post is a great illustration of this.

When we kicked the pat, My phone and the buddy I was watching the game with lit up with texts saying WTH is he thinking.

Oh, well that changes everything.

I'll ride the wave where it takes me

Hog in Iowa

I have no argument with going for 1 at that point in the game.  Take the point and get ready to play the game out.  Unfortunately, we never got close the rest of the way.
The border town shook my hand, it was the gateway to some other land.
The border town is the great divide, just the gateway to some other side.
I got to get across. ~ Chris Whitley

hawaiianhogster

I questioned going for the extra point. Going for 2 would have tied the game and put the pressure back on Bama to win. Since Ark did not score another point Bama did not have to either. Go for two at least you gave yourself a chance to tie it up early. Going for one point did nothing. Don't make 2 points you can still win with a field goal. Go for 1 point and you still have to kick a field goal to win. Your better off going for 2.

The Hogs lost by 1 point. Had they went for 2 and made it they would have went to OT with a chance to win.

Tie the game up when you have momentum. That really ticks me off the coaches did not make that call. That is pathetic.

hawaiianhogster

Quote from: Hog in Iowa on October 12, 2014, 09:29:20 am
I have no argument with going for 1 at that point in the game.  Take the point and get ready to play the game out.  Unfortunately, we never got close the rest of the way.

What gave the coaches faith that the offense would score again when they had trouble getting into scoring position and playing a top 10 team of the likes of Alabama? When your in scoring position go for broke.

Bama has the number 1 defense against the run. What do we do? Run!!!!!! Go for 2 next time. You better your chances of winning.

hawaiianhogster

Quote from: hawgfan4life on October 12, 2014, 08:21:30 am
Going for 2 would have been stupid.  You kick PAT in that situation every time.  Two point would have been low percentage play and you get down and fire opponent up if you miss.  You u also allow them to beat you with two FG which would be very doable with that much time. Kick it and force them to beat you with a TD AND have to stop you from getting a FG in the amount of time you need 2 FG.  Going for 2 would have been a dumbass move.

I can not count the many times I have witnessed teams going for 2 points to tie the game in every quarter of football. Always go for 2. Going for 1 was stupid.

The day Arkansas gets a QB that can not only manage the game but make all the throws is the day they win the SECW and the SECT. Until then Arkansas will be on the outside looking in. They will be close but not close enough. Mark my words as the truth.

hawaiianhogster

I'm not bashing nor bragging nor being a coach. Just stating my opinion and what I would have done. It is what I have seen many other teams do. Going for two is the smart and correct choice. Momentum doesn't stay around for long. Use it or lose it. The coaches decided to lose it.

RAZORHOGG15

Quote from: hawaiianhogster on October 12, 2014, 11:11:25 pm
I can not count the many times I have witnessed teams going for 2 points to tie the game in every quarter of football. Always go for 2. Going for 1 was stupid.

The day Arkansas gets a QB that can not only manage the game but make all the throws is the day they win the SECW and the SECT. Until then Arkansas will be on the outside looking in. They will be close but not close enough. Mark my words as the truth.
Do you not realize that at no time during this game were we down by two.  If we were this arguement would be moot and you would probably be right.  We had the lead and the book says you take the easy points
ONE TEAM ONE HEART ONE GOAL

Never make the mistake of confusing kindness for weakness

lefty08

Quote from: Danny J on October 11, 2014, 10:39:46 pm
agreed

Pretty sure that wasnt henson. Henson never attempted another pat after the block
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

redeye

I see both sides, but I think going for 2 was the better choice.  Bielema said they planned on going for 2 in the 4th, but we didn't score in the 4th and rarely do.  Take it when it's available.

Going for 2 might have allowed Alabama to win with 2 FG's, but it was wet and Alabama's kicker had already missed once, so I like the odds of that not happening.  We've also had problems with our kicker, so we really didn't want to rely on him winning the game.

Finally, if we'd gone for 2 and scored, then the game would have gone to OT and that makes it the obvious choice imo.

lasthog

Me and my buddies were watching and drinking and thought we should've gone for a field goal instead of the extree point. Threes better than one OR TWO.

Didn't get no texts but talked to buddies that saw the game and they said so too.

Hogarusa

Going for 2 conversion rate is below 50%.  What play were the Hogs going to run from the 3 yard line to convert?

RAZORHOGG15

Quote from: redeye on October 13, 2014, 12:00:07 am
I see both sides, but I think going for 2 was the better choice.  Bielema said they planned on going for 2 in the 4th, but we didn't score in the 4th and rarely do.  Take it when it's available.

Going for 2 might have allowed Alabama to win with 2 FG's, but it was wet and Alabama's kicker had already missed once, so I like the odds of that not happening.  We've also had problems with our kicker, so we really didn't want to rely on him winning the game.

Finally, if we'd gone for 2 and scored, then the game would have gone to OT and that makes it the obvious choice imo.
Although I do not agree at least I can get behind your frame of thought.  At no point did you belittle our coaching staff or any other fans with different opinions.  Just stated your opinion and why you thought that.  I applaud you for a well thought out post
ONE TEAM ONE HEART ONE GOAL

Never make the mistake of confusing kindness for weakness

cypert2

Quote from: Hogarusa on October 13, 2014, 12:30:23 am
Going for 2 conversion rate is below 50%.  What play were the Hogs going to run from the 3 yard line to convert?

So you'd rather lose by one point than by two points?
Swinging on the two and the four.

Peter Porker

Quote from: WarPig88 on October 11, 2014, 09:56:23 pm
There is literally no difference between 13 and 12 points in that instance.

Either one gets you beat by a td, but getting 2 there is insurance for overtime.

Nutt'esque decision for sure.

Actually, Nutt did chase pounts. In fact, he did it 3x vs LSU and lost by 3.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

hogpc

Quote from: Prestworthy on October 11, 2014, 10:38:06 pm
I mean, really....what did they have to lose?  Go for it and tie the game up.  Henson almost missed his 2nd try too!
Did you watch the game...? We were never down by 2 points!!

hogpc

Quote from: hawaiianhogster on October 12, 2014, 11:03:26 pm
I questioned going for the extra point. Going for 2 would have tied the game and put the pressure back on Bama to win. Since Ark did not score another point Bama did not have to either. Go for two at least you gave yourself a chance to tie it up early. Going for one point did nothing. Don't make 2 points you can still win with a field goal. Go for 1 point and you still have to kick a field goal to win. Your better off going for 2.

The Hogs lost by 1 point. Had they went for 2 and made it they would have went to OT with a chance to win.

Tie the game up when you have momentum. That really ticks me off the coaches did not make that call. That is pathetic.
So you really questioned it at the time? What time was that?  When we were down by 2?  When was that???  We were never down by 2...did you even watch the game?  What a bunch of idiots!

texas tush hog

Quote from: Hogarusa on October 13, 2014, 12:30:23 am

Quote from: WarPig88 on October 11, 2014, 11:32:05 pm
Your post is a great illustration of this.

When we kicked the pat, My phone and the buddy I was watching the game with lit up with texts saying WTH is he thinking.

It seems that there were a lot of people who were able to see how this game was playing out. Unfortunately, you and our staff were in the minority who couldn't.

There is no guarantee that we make the conversion, but at least we could say we went down without holding anything back.

Can't say that now.

With our kicking game, a two point conversion is the higher percentage play.

Danny J

Quote from: texas tush hog on October 13, 2014, 08:30:39 am
I agree and I am 100% serious especially last Saturdays game. I had no faith he was going to make it due to either the line being blown up or just kicking it wide left/right.

bigred223

The extra point was going right down the middle and cook got run over and it was blocked. So stop acting like it's the kickers fault.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Prestworthy on October 11, 2014, 10:38:06 pm
I mean, really....what did they have to lose?  Go for it and tie the game up.  Henson almost missed his 2nd try too!

CabotHog87

Really getting a good kick (no pun intended) out of those who think we were down by 2. The only times we trailed were 7-6 and 14-13. We led 6-0 and 13-7.

jkstock04

Quote from: bigred223 on October 13, 2014, 10:01:16 am
The extra point was going right down the middle and cook got run over and it was blocked. So stop acting like it's the kickers fault.
My vantage point in the stadium didn't show this...nor did jumbotron replay. Looked like he just yanked it left from get go. But I would like to see it...anyone have a snap shot of this block from tv screen?
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Danny J

Quote from: bigred223 on October 13, 2014, 10:01:16 am
Agreed....it is not just the kicker it is the entire special teams from the line on kicks/pat's or the punt return team or the not able to get the ball even close to the endzone on kickoffs. It is all pretty bad.

Danny J

Quote from: jkstock04 on October 13, 2014, 10:10:38 am
My vantage point in the stadium didn't show this...nor did jumbotron replay. Looked like he just yanked it. But I would like to see it...anyone have a snap shot of this block from tv screen?
It was blocked for sure. As the previous poster mentioned it was going straight and kicked very well just blocked because our line on the right side was blown up.

Hogarusa

Quote from: cypert2 on October 13, 2014, 06:47:27 am
So you'd rather lose by one point than by two points?

A loss is a loss, i dont care about the margin

ricepig

Quote from: Danny J on October 13, 2014, 10:11:42 am
It was blocked for sure. As the previous poster mentioned it was going straight and kicked very well just blocked because our line on the right side was blown up.

Yep, the advantage of 5* on Bama's special teams.

hobhog

Quote from: WarPig88 on October 11, 2014, 09:56:23 pm
There is literally no difference between 13 and 12 points in that instance.

Either one gets you beat by a td, but getting 2 there is insurance for overtime.

ricepig

Quote from: hobhog on October 13, 2014, 10:13:32 am
Wrong. We miss converting 2, and it's 14-12. They score a TD and we are down 21-12, two scores.

No coach other than Mike Leach or PAs coach is going to do that.

Lester??

ArkansasI

I'm struggling with this thread.  The touchdown put us up 12-7.  The extra point made it 13-7.

If we had kicked two field goals prior to scoring the touchdown, then should we have gone for 2?  The logic in going for 2 is the idea that we should be chasing a mixed extra point.

I appreciate that some may argue that we wanted to go up 7.  But at that point in the game I was just as concerned that we go up 6 (2 field goals).  Not a bad position to sit given how well our defense was playing.

The extra point might have gotten us to overtime.  On the otherhand, we weren't playing for overtime at that point in the game. Hindsight is 20/20.

Let's beat Georgia.

jkstock04

Quote from: Danny J on October 13, 2014, 10:11:42 am
Ya I had no idea... Different vantage points of the stadium I guess. I would like to see replay on tv or still shot.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

ArkansasI

Quote from: jkstock04 on October 13, 2014, 10:15:44 am
Ya I had no idea... Different vantage points of the stadium I guess. I would like to see replay on tv or still shot.
I don't know where it is, but I promise it was blocked.  The hand on the ball redirected the ball left.

hobhog

Quote from: ricepig on October 13, 2014, 10:14:27 am
Lester??

I AM Lester. I was at even at the game!

Still think it was too early to chase points.

Hogarusa

Quote from: texas tush hog on October 13, 2014, 08:30:39 am

You arent good with math

Choctaw Hog

October 13, 2014, 10:31:10 am #88 Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 10:46:38 am by Choctaw Hog
Quote from: pigscuits on October 11, 2014, 09:35:08 pm
pretty easy concept imho

That's why you aren't now or ever have been a college football coach. Going for two at that point in time is chasing points. In fact, if the Hogs went for two and failed I'm sure you would have started a thead about what a stupid decision it was.

Opining on subjects that you mnow nothing about. It's what pathetic losers do.

Hogwild

According to the chart CBB should have gone for 2

Choctaw Hog

Quote from: Hogwild on October 13, 2014, 10:45:04 am

And who put together that chart? No doubt a message board football "expert".

Killean

Except...

YOU ONLY USE THE CHART IN THE 4TH QUARTER
Everyone is born with the right to exist. When you become a Nazi you give up that right.

Shorttimer

This is an interesting thread because some of you thought we were down two at the time and many of you can only judge the decision through the lens of knowing the final score. 

There are a lot of reasons to take the 1, but primarily that a subsequent Arkansas field goal would have required Bama to score twice to win.  Taking the point there was not a Houston Nutt decision . . .assuming in the middle of the 3rd quarter that we weren't going to score again would have been Nuttesque.

Hogwild

Quote from: Choctaw Hog on October 13, 2014, 10:47:59 am
And who put together that chart? No doubt a message board football "expert".

Dick Vermeil, seriously google it. But I'm not sure if he goes on to football message boards.

hawgwash

There are some things in this world you just can't fix.  Stupid is one of them.

IBleedRazorbackRed

If we go for 2:

Get it. Tie ball game
Don't get it. We're up 12-7. Bama scores, its 14-12. If they score again, 21-12. 2 possession game.

If we kick it, we're up 13-7. Bama scores, its 14-13. If they score again, 21-13. Still a 1 possession game.

Science Fiction Greg

This chart is for the 4th quarter.  I addressed this early on in the thread, even posted an entire article about it.  You do not go for 2 in the third quarter unless there is other reason to do so (mainly your success rate is estimated at over 50%).
I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.
Twitter sucks now. I deleted my account. I mostly just use TikTok now.

hawgwash

Quote from: Possible Oatmeal on October 13, 2014, 12:12:58 pm
This chart is for the 4th quarter.  I addressed this early on in the thread, even posted an entire article about it.  You do not go for 2 in the third quarter unless there is other reason to do so (mainly your success rate is estimated at over 50%).
Your avatar:

Their avatar

hogsanity

up 5 in the 3rd q with almost 5 mins to go only 1 bad thing could happen going for 1, and naturally that was the one thing that happened, you take the one the other team scores a td, and you don't score another point in the last 19mins and change of the game.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hawgfan4life

Just WOW!

Go for 1 and force Bama to beat you with a TD and they have to STOP you from getting at least 1 FG during the last 19 minutes of the game.

Go for 2 and allow Bama to beat you with 2 FG in 19 minutes of a game IF they can stop you from scoring which still should have been unlikely.

Going for two points is a low percentage play.  Why on earth would you take away the momentum and energy surge of a TD by missing an extra point attempt for 2 points and give them reason to get fired up and feeling good after a TD. 

Any person that would have went for two points in that situation is nothing more than an X-box, armchair, etc. coach and you really do not understand the game of football.  Sadly, there are too many fans like this and they NEVER know when to shut up and they only feed off the other idiots just like them.