Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

P-U-N-T IT

Started by Cowtown Hog, October 11, 2014, 08:46:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Cowtown Hog

Bad decision of the game was going for it on 4th &1 at midfield.  Our defense has been our only positive all night.  Pen their offense deep and force them to punt it back to us getting the ball back around midfield.  We had much better chance of going 20-25 yds vs driving the whole length of the field.  There's a time to be aggressive and then there's a time to be smart.  That call was not football smart.

I'm hoping coach mans up and admits that mistake.  we've made players practice "perfect 4th Q" but that was not a matter of players not finishing - that's just bad decision making by the head hog.  I'm for this staff but that was not putting our team in the best position to win.

cubsfan5150

Bull darn, should have done a QB sneak, but no, we shouldn't have punted, you hindsight Frank.
QuoteWest Side Rooter wrote:

Always best to talk [expletive] about a team when you don't have to face them again.

I'd do the same. LaRussa's a nutjob and would probably throw at his head.
ETA: A bottle of wine, not a baseball.
ETA: Empty bottle, obviously.

Arazorbackguy1

why not try the play action to the TE right there?  scratching my head on that run play.
I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

AHSC412

Completely disagree. This is typical Hogville; I'm willing to wager damn near every Arkansas fan watching was begging Bielema to go for it. He did. We finally have a damn coach that is willing to gamble and go for the win. Even though we didn't make it; he still made the right call.

We don't have an offense built to move the ball through the air as you saw at the end of the game. We needed a short field and that was our best chance. There is plenty to piss and moan about from that game; going for it on that fourth down is not one of those things.

Hogfan1660

But when you're a GREAT rushing team and it's 4th and 1 every person in the stadium knows you're going to run it (PAUSE......)  You need to throw play action because we aren't a great rushing team!!!!!!!

moses_007

Two staight games we go for it on fourth and one and don't make it, losing both games.

A short pass would have been a much better call.

Bryant Disciple

Going for it was the right decision. So was running it. The players just didn't execute.

Cowtown Hog

I understand everyone wants to go, but that's not the moment to prove you can pick up a yard.  Our defense carried their load all night.  by punting let our defense force them to give us back the ball with the advantage of field position.  i just think that is the more sound play with just 7 minutes remaining.

Cowtown Hog

I disagree that its an execution issue.  They had everyone crowding the line, it's a numbers game.

Waldron_Hog

Not that it matters now. But we got that first down with the stretch. His knees were on top of the defender. The ball was at the marker.

Cowtown Hog

both of bama's scores were short field scores.  saban will play a sound fundamental style, which includes field position advantage.  did you see his facial expression when they punted earlier in the 2nd half when they only had to get a half yard.  just have to play those percentages sometimes.

hopefully this won't get pinned on players and they can bounce back mentally and give Georgia a fight.

HiggiePiggy

I wasn't upset with the going for it on 4th down.  I was upset with not learning crap from Texas A&M game and spreading out the defense instead of packing everyone on the line. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

BallHog1

Quote from: Bryant Disciple on October 11, 2014, 08:53:55 pm
Going for it was the right decision. So was running it. The players just didn't execute.
This

rljjr

Quote from: drrowdy on October 11, 2014, 09:00:48 pm
Why did Allen have 40 pass attempts? That 4th and one call is all hindsight either way, but we sure could have used the flip in field position at that point.

Our problem was and remains, play calling. Our strength is running the ball and in a tight game, we throw 1 more time than rush, which is only close because Allen scrambled on about 5 other designed throws.

If we are a run team, then run the ball, because Allen is never going to be the guy to carry this offense. I'm not knocking him, he's just not a qb that can carry an offensive, especially with the lack of skill at the wr position.

Did you watch the game? We couldn't run. It was a brilliant strategy and it worked. We should have won. Despite the blocked extra point we scored in the first quarter if we hold onto the ball crossing the goal line. Shoulda coulda woulda.

LJHOG

I was on the fence on the decision until I saw our formation.  You want to go for it?  You want to try running it?  DON'T run from a formation that brings every defender to within 2 yards of the LOS. 
Ok decision.  VERY BAD play call against an SEC defense.  Works ok against a TTech.

BigSexyHog

I wanted to punt it.  I still want to punt it.  Going for it was stupid especially since we barely got 1 yard running all night long.  Oh and we wasted a time out as well.  HDN at his finest.
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

Speedracer

I certainly see both sides of the arguments to the debate.  I personally have no problem with BB going for it because I have absolutely no faith in our QB.  We will not win as long as he is at the position.  If you can't move the ball in that situation, then history has shown our offense won't under any other chances.  They don't know how to execute and it's time Chaney and Smith get questioned. 

I would have "gone for it now, because we can't later"
Like smites bother me.

redeye

Although I do think it was a mistake, I didn't mind the call.  We should have made that first down, but JWill stumbled a little.  If we'd made it, everyone would have been happy.

Many on here think we should never punt, so I'm wondering where they are now?

BigSexyHog

Quote from: redeye on October 11, 2014, 09:24:37 pm
Although I do think it was a mistake, I didn't mind the call.  We should have made that first down, but JWill stumbled a little.  If we'd made it, everyone would have been happy.

True.  Any coach has to believe you can make 1 yard. 
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

redeye

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on October 11, 2014, 09:11:22 pm
I wasn't upset with the going for it on 4th down.  I was upset with not learning crap from Texas A&M game and spreading out the defense instead of packing everyone on the line.

Yes, this also.

hogpc

I liked the decision and the call at the time - hated it after it didn't work, typical fan!!  BB did the right thing in my opinion.

ChicoHog

Quote from: redeye on October 11, 2014, 09:24:37 pm

Agreed.  I said in the game thread we should punt it and play for field position as we were not moving the ball much.  If we hold them we probably get the ball around our 40 vs getting it on our 15.  But I think it was a good emotional move by BB to show the offense he has faith to get that one yard even if it did not work. 

jim shell

isn't hindsight a wonderful thing....it can make you an expert coach.... ;)

WarPig88

I don't know how you pick the biggest mistake in judgement of the night.

Not going for 2 was pretty big. Wasting a timeout on the fake punt was even weirder given we didn't gamble for the 2 pt conversion earlier. Then your play is in the running as well.

There was still plenty of time to play the field position game at that point for sure.