Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why completely abandon the run?

Started by Arazorbackguy1, October 11, 2014, 08:39:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Pigdiana Jones

Because the run didn't work. Forced us to throw and BA is not a good passer. See last pass of game he threw as reason for that.
"In the East, college football is a cultural exercise.

On the West Coast, it is a tourist attraction.

In the Midwest, it is cannibalism.

But in the South, college football is a religion, and every Saturday is a holy day."

Dark Helmet Hog

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on October 11, 2014, 10:33:25 pm
True, but the thing is...an actual SEC caliber QB and passing game would have made the difference tonight.  It wouldn't have taken much.  He's simply not close to a difference maker.  Not are his WR's.  We are incompetent throwing the ball.

I don't pretend that BA is an all SEC QB, but remember Bama still has one of the nations top defenses. I just don't put this loss on him.

clutch

Quote from: Jerrajo on October 11, 2014, 10:28:03 pm
I agree .. Not only was the play calling horrible. But we were poorly prepared.

I don't think we were poorly prepared at all. I think we ran into a very good Bama D-line, on a wet sloppy night. The outcome is turnovers and trouble running.

Our defense was very prepared I thought. They shut down the Bama rushing attack too and did a very good job of keeping the passing game in check too. A passing attack that went for almost 500 against Florida.

redeye

1st quarter:

15 RA
56 yards
3.7 ypc

2nd quarter:

10 RA
37 yards
3.7 ypc

3rd quarter:

5 RA
5 yards
1.0 ypc

4th quarter:

4 RA
19 yards
4.75 ypc

This was calculated from ESPN's play-by-play drives and includes attempts credited to Brandon, which were a significant plus.  I'll note that we ran less in the entire 2nd half, then either quarter in the first.

Jerrajo

This coaching staff doesnt have a clue how to throw the ball downfield.. They also don't have a clue how to stretch a defense.. They get in the I formation and try to power the ball down everyone's throats including Bama's.. You can say what you want but I've seen enough to know that CBB is no better than one HDN...

Its beyond stupid to not one the ball one single time in the two minute offense with three minutes on the clock !! When we have several wide the Tide defense was stretched a bit. Thats the best time to throw in a run or two !!!! But not Chaney. He gets pass happy EVERY single time we try the two minute drill.. And all the routes are ten yards plus !!! AS if we have to get a first down on every play to drive the field..

Other than our defense finally getting it together.. Thank you Rob Smith.. We are crap... Trust me BA would be breaking records if Petrino were coaching him. But nope we decided to go back to the days of Broyles and smash mouth football..

Hows that working out for us ?

Time to use our SEC money and throw the gobn out the freaking door and tell them to take Jeffie with them !!!! Hire the Louisville A.D. and get a real coach.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Dark Helmet Hog on October 11, 2014, 10:36:09 pm
I don't pretend that BA is an all SEC QB, but remember Bama still has one of the nations top defenses. I just don't put this loss on him.

I don't either, but the lack of a passing game was the difference in the AU game and to a lesser extent the A&M game.  And it loomed large tonight as well. 

There is never a single culprit in a loss.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Jerrajo

Quote from: clutch on October 11, 2014, 10:36:22 pm
I don't think we were poorly prepared at all. I think we ran into a very good Bama D-line, on a wet sloppy night. The outcome is turnovers and trouble running.

Our defense was very prepared I thought. They shut down the Bama rushing attack too and did a very good job of keeping the passing game in check too. A passing attack that went for almost 500 against Florida.

I admit the defense was better. The offense is still stuck in 1964.

Cartoon Man

TomasPistola

Quote from: S.A.D.C on October 11, 2014, 10:32:33 pm
They were stacking the box.  Don't confuse blitzing with alignment.  They might not all have rushed but they were all tight to the LOS.

No. In the last 5 minutes of that game, they were not all in the box. We could have and should have tried to run it.
Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

shotgun7

Everytime we get toward the end of the game, they abandon the run completely.... thats not gonna work, as we have seen. Had we run the ball just twice, maybe 3 times... in our last possession it could have completely changed the outcome even if only a couple yards. Plus, you never know when  our backs can break off a big chunk.... but on our last drive, we only had one completion on 3rd down for a 1st down, all the other passes were incomplete and then the pick. And, If I recall on the drive before that it was all incomplete passes....It just does not make sense... yea, I know we need play makers, and we don't have an all SEC qb but, we can move the ball well or at least decent the whole game and then the last 5-10 mins get shut down? Come one...

Deep Shoat

Quote from: cpohog on October 11, 2014, 08:47:31 pm
Why did Collins, our leading rusher have only 6 carries yet Williams had 20 carries?
Missed practice in the off week, then fumbled.
All Gas, No Brakes!

sharpd1

I don't think playcalling is costing us these games.  We've had a good deal of success throwing as well as running.  I mean, my god, how many 3rd downs did we covert throwing the ball tonight?  Probably not as many as I recall just because I haven't seen it in 160 quarters, but it's definitely been a huge improvement.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: redeye on October 11, 2014, 10:38:10 pm
1st quarter:

15 RA
56 yards
3.7 ypc

2nd quarter:

10 RA
37 yards
3.7 ypc

3rd quarter:

5 RA
5 yards
1.0 ypc

4th quarter:

4 RA
19 yards
4.75 ypc

This was calculated from ESPN's play-by-play drives and includes attempts credited to Brandon, which were a significant plus.  I'll note that we ran less in the entire 2nd half, then either quarter in the first.

This post is the one that shows we gave up on the run when we didn't have to.  We rushed for over 80 yards in the first half.  Then we decide to only run 9 times in the entire second half.   BS on they stopped the run.  We stopped the run by giving up on it.   The play calling in the second half is what cost us this game.  Give up on what we do best seems to be the second half strategy for Chaney. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

redeye

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on October 12, 2014, 01:12:48 am
This post is the one that shows we gave up on the run when we didn't have to.  We rushed for over 80 yards in the first half.  Then we decide to only run 9 times in the entire second half.   BS on they stopped the run.  We stopped the run by giving up on it.   The play calling in the second half is what cost us this game.  Give up on what we do best seems to be the second half strategy for Chaney.

Nick Chubb is receiving all sorts of praise for his performance while filling in for Gurley, during Georgia's 38-0 win over Missouri.  He had 143 yards on 38 carries, which comes out to an average of 3.76 ypc.  Why is that average good enough for Georgia, but not for Arkansas?  Anytime we're not getting 5 ypc, we seem to abandon the run.

grayhawg

Quote from: redeye on October 12, 2014, 01:46:34 am
Nick Chubb is receiving all sorts of praise for his performance while filling in for Gurley, during Georgia's 38-0 win over Missouri.  He had 143 yards on 38 carries, which comes out to an average of 3.76 ypc.  Why is that average good enough for Georgia, but not for Arkansas?  Anytime we're not getting 5 ypc, we seem to abandon the run.
If I did this right here are the stats from last night 2.3 yards per carry and a total of 89 yards. 4 rushes at 2.3 per rush = 9.2 yards Bama stuffed the run.
http://espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?id=400548365

Jek Tono Porkins

We abandoned the run against a&m? I seem to remember gashing a&m late in the fourth quarter until a skipper penalty. I also seem to remember running four straight running plays in OT. We probably abandoned the run against bama because we had no timeouts and running hadn't worked all game. A couple of stuffs on running plays in a two minute offense and you're basically screwed.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

wildhogman

Quote from: Jerrajo on October 11, 2014, 10:40:33 pm
This coaching staff doesnt have a clue how to throw the ball downfield.. They also don't have a clue how to stretch a defense.. They get in the I formation and try to power the ball down everyone's throats including Bama's.. You can say what you want but I've seen enough to know that CBB is no better than one HDN...

Its beyond stupid to not one the ball one single time in the two minute offense with three minutes on the clock !! When we have several wide the Tide defense was stretched a bit. Thats the best time to throw in a run or two !!!! But not Chaney. He gets pass happy EVERY single time we try the two minute drill.. And all the routes are ten yards plus !!! AS if we have to get a first down on every play to drive the field..

Other than our defense finally getting it together.. Thank you Rob Smith.. We are crap... Trust me BA would be breaking records if Petrino were coaching him. But nope we decided to go back to the days of Broyles and smash mouth football..

Time to use our SEC money and throw the gobn out the freaking door and tell them to take Jeffie with them !!!! Hire the Louisville A.D. and get a real coach.
How did that "real" HC fair against bama in 4 tries? Was the final score ever within ONE point? Didn't HIS "all star" QB RM throw a pick in one game that pretty much sealed our fate because this super HC didn't know how to spell defense, let alone put one on the field? 

Jerrajo

Quote from: wildhogman on October 12, 2014, 10:00:03 am
How did that "real" HC fair against bama in 4 tries? Was the final score ever within ONE point? Didn't HIS "all star" QB RM throw a pick in one game that pretty much sealed our fate because this super HC didn't know how to spell defense, let alone put one on the field?

No comparison between the Alabama that Petrino coached against and that mess we saw last night. You're dishonest as can be if you think so.. How many botched kicks did Petrino's teams get as gifts ? Don't pretend the teams were the same. You know better.

Pig In The City

Quote from: TomasPistola on October 11, 2014, 08:43:34 pm
Bama wasn't stacking the box in the last 5 minutes. They were bringing 4, maybe 5. We were just throwing every single down. I really don't get it. Even a draw play could have yielded something.
We only had one time out! Geez!

Jerrajo

Yeah give me that no defense 21-5 anytime.

TomasPistola

Quote from: Pig In The City on October 12, 2014, 10:25:15 am

We only had one time out! Geez!

One time out with 5 minutes left and we want to get the last score. That's plenty of time to run the ball.
Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

wildhogman

Quote from: Jerrajo on October 12, 2014, 10:20:53 am
No comparison between the Alabama that Petrino coached against and that mess we saw last night. You're dishonest as can be if you think so.. How many botched kicks did Petrino's teams get as gifts ? Don't pretend the teams were the same. You know better.
can you tell me the total scores of bama vs us during his time here?  the closest game we played during the four year stretch?
I can tell you we came closer to winning last night then at any time during  those 4 years. I wouldn't have cared until people like you bring him up as the standard to achieve.  146 to 55.  Interesting what those numbers mean.

bpoecell

Quote from: Jerrajo on October 12, 2014, 10:26:26 am
Yeah give me that no defense 21-5 anytime.

21-5 and no better than 3rd in the West. 21-5 and 30 points worse than the two best teams in the SEC. 21-5 looks a little worse when you actually look into it instead of just rattling it off like it's the end-all argument.

And by the way, 21-5 was in years three and four against a much weaker SEC West. Years one and two was 13-12. Let's save 21-5 until it's an apples to apples comparison, k?

010HogFan

Quote from: Jerrajo on October 11, 2014, 10:40:33 pm

You should probably stop talking about football, you're in over your head.