Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Clock

Started by azhog10, October 11, 2014, 08:37:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

azhog10

It should have stopped on the penalty. Alabama should have had to punt the ball. We missed a ton of opportunities and no blame can be put on the coaches. Another loss due to our players lack of focus.

hldstdy

Probably wouldn't have mattered, but the clock thing is really annoying.

Hog Milanese

mckinneyhog5

Towards the end, I can't count how many times players went out of bounds but yet the clock kept running.  On our last possession Hunter Henry made a catch went out of bounds but yet the clock kept running.
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

Hog_Fink

on our home field

that's basic.
pretty damn bad

b_stackhouse

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on October 11, 2014, 08:41:22 pm
Towards the end, I can't count how many times players went out of bounds but yet the clock kept running.  On our last possession Hunter Henry made a catch went out of bounds but yet the clock kept running.

I believe the clock will start again once the ball is marked ready for play until the last 2 minutes of the game.

GB-Razorback

Quote from: hldstdy on October 11, 2014, 08:38:52 pm
Probably wouldn't have mattered, but the clock thing is really annoying.

I would say this but remember Bama's TD where Bret ran 40 yards onto the field trying to get a TD.  He was literally on the 20 yard line like 15 yards onto the field when the ball was snapped.  We were in disarray.  Maybe Bama would have scored but with how our D was playing, there was no guarantee. 

Game changing mistake by referees ... perhaps ...
Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tanks of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.<br /><br />Jake: Hit it.

mckinneyhog5

I'll go over the game tomorrow and show how many times in the last five minutes this happened.  It was more then 3 times I know for sure.
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

Danny J

The clock should not have started after the false start penalty unless they changed the rules.

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: b_stackhouse on October 11, 2014, 08:42:53 pm
I believe the clock will start again once the ball is marked ready for play until the last 2 minutes of the game.
you're right

Cartoon Man

That missed timeout was huge, as was Walkers fumble.

razorJAcker

We'll have to remember this the next time we have the ball with the lead in the 4th quarter and we're trying to run the clock out.  Just false start 15 times in a row and let the clock run out.

lrhogfan24

Anyone know if this isn't the case? This was my understanding as well but this obviously isn't what happened.

Quote from: Danny J on October 11, 2014, 08:45:32 pm
The clock should not have started after the false start penalty unless they changed the rules.

sowmonella

Quote from: Danny J on October 11, 2014, 08:45:32 pm
58 seconds left when that happened. I agree with you. The clock shouldn't have restarted.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

Danny J

Quote from: sowmonella on October 11, 2014, 08:52:35 pm
58 seconds left when that happened. I agree with you. The clock shouldn't have restarted.
Correct.....they should have ran the play with :58 seconds left and say run one or two seconds off on a run play and the clock then resets to 40. So we would have got the ball back with around 15 seconds.

However once the clock got close to 2 minutes we should have let them score. Apparently our staff plays checkers and not chess. Bad clock management.

mckinneyhog5

How much do these idiot refs make to screw things up? I'm not saying we would have won but they need to do their damn job correctly.

FATHAWG08

Quote from: b_stackhouse on October 11, 2014, 08:42:53 pm
You are correct
I love off season Football!!

brenthog

The clock is supposed to stop if a penalty is on the offense.  Otherwise,  the team could just keep committing false start penalties till the clock runs out.

Danny J

Quote from: brenthog on October 11, 2014, 09:39:27 pm
The clock is supposed to stop if a penalty is on the offense.  Otherwise,  the team could just keep committing false start penalties till the clock runs out.
Correct.....

mecoach

The clock does start after an offensive penalty. It stops after a defensive penalty though.

If, in the judgment of the referees, the offense created the penalty in order to get a new play clock, then the referees can stop the clock.  So, offenses can't simply go offsides 10 times in a row in the last 2 minutes and run the clock out. 

Again, it is in the judgement of the referees.

Wish they had a rule like in the NFL.  In the NFL, if you do that in the last minute or so, 10 seconds is added to the clock.

Josh Goforth

Its a loophole, Bielema took advantage of one they had back in 2006 against Penn St where the clock started running as soon as the ball was kicked on a kickoff and not when the returner caught it. They went offside on purpose to run out the clock. Next season the rules committee changed it back. http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/2006-11-06-clock-loophole_x.htm

GammaRayzorback

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/24156338/28548261

Not a loophole.  There is a 10-second runoff unless the defense chooses to not allow the runoff.  If I'm not mistaken, we weren't given the choice.

mecoach

Yes.  That is correct.