Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Todd Gurley is suspended, returns, and suffers ACL injury

Started by NoNC4Tubs, September 30, 2014, 11:41:19 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Sed76

If you hate WMS so freaking bad don't go. It's simple, game will be on SEC Network. Sell or give your ticket to someone who will actually enjoy getting to see their team play and not complain the whole time.

jbcarol

CollegeFootball 24/7 @NFL_CFB  ·  5 hours ago

What does suspension mean for Todd Gurley's draft stock? @BuckyBrooks has the answer: http://bit.ly/1C1hPyI 

QuoteThe suspension will not have a major impact on Gurley's draft stock. While scouts and executives will dig deep to uncover all of the details behind the suspension, it's not a criminal matter and most observers won't view it as a serious character concern. Now, Gurley must come clean in team meetings to clear up any confusion about his involvement in the situation, but the NCAA-imposed suspension will be viewed as a minor incident within the war room and won't have a significant impact on his final grade.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

ballz2thewall

Decent Authority on Gurley

------------------------

By Chip Towers
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
A person familiar with the investigation of the possible violations by Georgia running back Todd Gurley told the AJC on Friday that it's a "significant" case of the sale of memorabilia and there is a possibility that Gurley may not be cleared to return to the field this season.
Unlike the case involving Heisman Trophy winner Johnny Manziel of Texas A&M, the source says, there is evidence that wasn't available in the Manziel case. Manziel got a half-game punishment last season to start the year.
Other sources familiar with the investigation say a determination of punishment should be made by early next week.
Georgia on Thursday suspended Gurley indefinitely following allegations the junior tailback and Heisman hopeful had violated NCAA rules regarding improper benefits for amateur athletes.
Gurley could face anywhere from a couple of games to the rest of the season, depending on the amount of money he may have made from the sale of any memorabilia.
Gurley is alleged to have received $400 to sign 80 pieces of memorabilia on the Georgia campus this past spring, according to several media reports.
Gurley, who was ruled inelligible to play by the university, did not travel with the team to Missouri, where the Bulldogs will face the Tigers Saturday at noon. Freshman running back Nick Chubb is expected to start for the Bulldogs.
The length of a suspension likely would hinge on the value of those benefits.
NCAA Bylaw 12.1.2.1.6 sets specific guidelines for such penalties:
1. Value of the benefit ranges from greater than $100 to $400 = withholding of 10 percent (of games) and repayment;
2. Value of the benefit ranges from greater than $400 to $700 = withholding of 20 percent (of games) and repayment;
3. Value of benefit ranges greater than $700 = withholding of 30 percent (of games) and repayment.
Barring other circumstances that might add to the penalty, the guidelines indicate a suspension would range from one to four games if a player receives benefits worth more than $100. But a "substantial" case might be cause for further penalty.
AJC staff writers Danny Robbins and Tim Tucker contributed to this report.
The rest of the frog.

Wildhog

Quote from: Sed76 on October 10, 2014, 02:45:33 pm
If you hate WMS so freaking bad don't go. It's simple, game will be on SEC Network. Sell or give your ticket to someone who will actually enjoy getting to see their team play and not complain the whole time.

I'm going to support my team, but WMS is a hole.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Polecat

Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

Arazorbackguy1

I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

Sed76

HognVA

This is our luck we're dealing with here. He will be fully reinstated for our game.

azhog10

So might be out for the season, but in the article it says a decision will come next week and he could be looking at a 2 game suspension or just one. What part of that is the entire season? It seems like Gurley must have made more than just $400 off the autographs.

Wildhog

Quote from: HognVA on October 10, 2014, 02:58:04 pm
This is our luck we're dealing with here. He will be fully reinstated for our game.

It's certainly possible.  He also could very well be out for two games or the rest of the year.  Let's see how it shakes out.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

PorcineSublime

$400 means he will be in LR next Saturday. More than that and we play a team with razor thin depth at RB. The article that I read this morning on MSN was claiming $400. Time will tell. But I am like some of the others here. I couldn't care less how we win or who we face on the other sideline at this point. If half the team gets lost and ends up in Jonesboro, that would be fine with me.

I'll be all full of bravado in a couple of years and want to "beat them at their best". But for now a W is a W.
Sittin in the morning sun, I'll be sittin here when evening comes.

Been10Hog

Quote from: bphi11ips on October 10, 2014, 02:08:17 pm
Gurley has nothing left to prove.  The best thing that can happen to him is he doesn't have to play another game.
This could be true. He was Heisman front runner and if he doesn't play again his legend will increase as he doesn't play and doesn't risk injury. Doesn't seem fair but that's life!

ballz2thewall

Quote from: azhog10 on October 10, 2014, 03:04:45 pm
So might be out for the season, but in the article it says a decision will come next week and he could be looking at a 2 game suspension or just one. What part of that is the entire season? It seems like Gurley must have made more than just $400 off the autographs.

spot on, az.

there is strong talk of some bigger transactions in hand, and likely soon to come out.

on this deal, the teasers have ended up turning into more than foreplay.
The rest of the frog.

bphi11ips

Quote from: Been10Hog on October 10, 2014, 03:16:07 pm
This could be true. He was Heisman front runner and if he doesn't play again his legend will increase as he doesn't play and doesn't risk injury. Doesn't seem fair but that's life!

Georgia won't finish well enough with or with or without Gurley to bring him the Heisman.  Two running backs have won it since 2000.  Both played for teams that played in the national championship game. 

Besides, the NFL couldn't care less about the Heisman anymore.  Todd Gurley will be the first running back taken, and no one else is close. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Been10Hog

Quote from: bphi11ips on October 10, 2014, 03:33:56 pm
Georgia won't finish well enough with or with or without Gurley to bring him the Heisman.  Two running backs have won it since 2000.  Both played for teams that played in the national championship game. 

Besides, the NFL couldn't care less about the Heisman anymore.  Todd Gurley will be the first running back taken, and no one else is close.
Wasn't talking about winning Heisman. His draft stock

jbcarol

Johnny Manziel @JManziel2  ·  3 hours ago

#FreeGurley @TG3II
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

NoNC4Tubs

Quote from: jbcarol on October 10, 2014, 08:39:10 am
Scott Michaux @ScottMichaux  ·  11 minutes ago

From fans are nuts files: UGA students have set up a shrine for Todd Gurley at the stadium and are holding a candlelight vigil. #getagrip

Hahahaha You just can't make this stuff up....... 8)

NoNC4Tubs

Quote from: jbcarol on October 10, 2014, 11:47:40 am
As for the timing, UGA has been conducting the investigation and could conceivably wrap it up soon, depending on how it goes. But even then it has to turn over its findings to the NCAA, which would have to approve any findings...

They could just take a page from the auburn Operations Manual and say that they found no evidence and reinstate him........ 8)

jbcarol

AL.com sports @aldotcomSports  ·  1 hour ago
Johnny Manziel says of Todd Gurley 'I feel for him' | http://ow.ly/CAMdt

Would know.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: ballz2thewall on October 09, 2014, 06:44:21 pm
from what i'm reading

about 6 months ago

a reddit poster did an AMA [ask me anything] about how athletes try and market their schwag.  he ran the post by the mods first, who asked him to not name names.  he agreed.

he did describe many methods, including the trickle down from ebay.  among other things he stated that there is a 100% heisman candidate that has TONS of items and action, far and above any of the others.

this, it turns out, is gurley. 

so, as far as 6 months ago people in that world were paying attention to gurley action on ebay.

fyi,

If it is found out that Gurley violated NCAA rules, and if it was going back as far as the beginning of this season, then Georgia should have to forfeit all of their wins this season in which Gurley played (he would be an ineligible player).  What might happen though is the "slap on the hand" way of doing things, and that is the vacate of wins instead of forfeiture (which forfeiture should happen).

rljjr

Doesn't matter if he plays or not, we were going to spank them anyway.

HSVhogfan2

I have  2 pretty close friends in the Atlanta area, both GA alums and are not idiot homers, who say they have been told its over $700 which would probably put him out for 3-4 games. GA throwing everything they have to get him back before next week. They are thinking that is a sure win with Gurley, a sure loss without him. For some reason they seem more confident this weekend without him.
"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

hehawg

#LEFTLANE
#HAMMERDOWN!

TomasPistola

It'll be 4 games minimum. UGA will be very lucky if it's not the end of Gurley's career.
Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

jbcarol

Quote from: jbcarol on October 10, 2014, 01:07:53 pm
Jay Bilas @JayBilas  ·  20 hours ago

If reports are accurate, UGA's Todd Gurley took advantage of his name and likeness. That's for UGA, NCAA only.

Jay Bilas @JayBilas  ·  17 hours ago
So, Georgia is no longer selling #3 jerseys. Of course, it's not because everyone knows it's Todd Gurley. Nah, just coincidence.

jbcarol

Seth Emerson @SethEmerson  ·  39 minutes ago
Five more thoughts (and a bonus thought) on the Todd Gurley situation.
http://www.macon.com/2014/10/11/3357073/five-more-things-about-the-gurley.html ...

QuoteRegarding the idea that Gurley has played his last down at Georgia ... maybe, but something more needs to become known.

Something else so pernicious has to be uncovered, such as association with an agent, or such widespread selling of autographs by Gurley that UGA and/or the NCAA decide that adding games to the suspension is warranted. Or ...

b) The investigation drags on so long that UGA has to continue to hold Gurley out.

2. This is not an NCAA investigation, at least not yet. The statement from organization spokesman Stacey Osbourn made that clear: "We are working with Georgia as they continue to gather information." (Italics are mine.)...

jbcarol

Seth Emerson @SethEmerson  ·  14 hours ago
Georgia A.D. Greg McGarity says UGA is paying for Todd Gurley's legal representation.
http://www.macon.com/2014/10/10/3356237/mcgarity-releases-lengthy-statement.html ...

One key part of McGarity statement: Gurley's new lawyer has "vast experience with eligibility matters."

jbcarol

Keith Marshall @Truthh4  ·  Oct 9
Something has to change.

jbcarol

Keith Niebuhr @Keith247Sports  ·  19 hours ago
RT @SwainEvent Bryan Allen better go move in with Casey Anthony and George Zimmerman /// Or Ray Lewis .... same attorney

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Arazorbackguy1 on October 10, 2014, 02:55:12 pm
No excuses if we lose that game.

Are you watching UGA-Mizzou? Dawgs are still pretty darned good.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

root_hawg

Mr. Barnett (rbarnet424)

It appears he is back at practice this week... probably distraction tactic or simply means nothing but well that would be fitting with Arkansas' tradition to have Suspended Players reinstated right before our game  >:(

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11697931/todd-gurley-georgia-bulldogs-back-practice-suspension
PanamaHOG
Representing the Razorbacks down in PTY

onebadrubi

He will be back, it's happen umpteen times to us and players cheating the system only to be available for our games.  People are scared to play us so they do whatever is possible

LZH

Richt saw Mizzou's defense and thought about what our defense has looked like in the past and figured "now's a good time to do this".....until he saw the Arkansas/Alabama film and re-figured his figuring.

I love the 'suspended indefinitely' moniker.  It's code for 'until we can't afford to play without him'.

hogcard1964

Last night ESPN scrolled he was out for our game.  Now he's playing?

IntegrityHog

Won't matter, Chubb is the real deal.  GA wins by 2 TDs, but we'll continue to put forth a good effort and show improvement.

Steef

Quote from: LZH on October 14, 2014, 08:30:27 am
Richt saw Mizzou's defense and thought about what our defense has looked like in the past and figured "now's a good time to do this".....until he saw the Arkansas/Alabama film and re-figured his figuring.

I love the 'suspended indefinitely' moniker.  It's code for 'until we can't afford to play without him'.

QFT

LZH

Quote from: IntegrityHog on October 14, 2014, 08:34:13 am
Won't matter, Chubb is the real deal.  GA wins by 2 TDs, but we'll continue to put forth a good effort and show improvement.

I agree, that is one big ol' boy.

But we'll be able to score some on them, I think.

Hogwild

ShadowTheHedgehog

I still think we have a chance at beating UGA even if they are at fill strength.

Augustus

If Arkansas can keep the stupid mistakes at bay and not shoot ourselves in the foot, it won't matter if Gurley plays or not.

PORKULATOR

You have no integrity.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

Steef

Question...

Is Gurley/Anybody...from Georgia...any better than Yeldon/Henry from Bama?

Because we defended THEM okay.

Our defense practices against JWill/Alex every day.

PorkRinds

Quote from: steefhog on October 14, 2014, 08:51:06 am
Question...

Gurley is better than them, and their run scheme works better too.  But I think we can stuff Gurley like we did Bama's stable of stud backs.  I say we beat GA.

YodaHog

Gurley would kill us on kickoff returns since we can't seem to kick it in the end zone for a touchback.

The Galloping Ghost

Quote from: steefhog on October 14, 2014, 08:51:06 am
Question...

My personal opinion is that Gurley is the best running back in college football, but I also think that Collins/Williams are better than Yeldon/Henry.

After what i saw Saturday i believe GA's OL is better than the bammers also.
"The only football players in my time were fellows who really loved to play football. They were not in it for the money. There wasn't much money there. They would have played football for nothing."

razorbacker3

The Hogs can't have a letdown Saturday. It's really hard to get up for great team week after week. If they don't realize that Georgia is every bit as good as Bama and play that way, we could be in for a long afternoon.

wildhogman

Let me see if I got this correct. So far this year: Texas Tech will pass us to death as we cant defend a pass. (we defeat them with a superb running game and great DEF). ATM will blow us out, to many studs on offense and semi improved Def. (They needed overtime to win, and should have lost the game) Bama will mop the field with us. 104-0 past two years, just hope we score a TD, field goal. Maybe Bama will give us a safety late in 4th qtr to prevent a 3rd shutout.(needed a few miscues and lot of love from Refs to win this game by ONE dang point).  And now the story line is, Georgia has to much running and best running back, we wont be able to slow their running down enough. 
I put my money on Robb Smith coordinating our D and coming up with a game plan to slow them down if not stop them.Losing Ellis will hurt, but we find out how our depth is now. 7th game so hopefully we have a little. Maybe we lay another egg against another top 10 opponent but it wont be because they ran all over us. 
I hate losing as much as the next guy. But I hate even more seeing fans talking negative, conceding a loss a week before the game is played. I pray they win this one, and then on sunday stand outside the stadium handing out nice big steaming bowls of crow. I just wonder who here would show up and get theirs.

Danny J

Quote from: YodaHog on October 14, 2014, 08:52:59 am
Gurley would kill us on kickoff returns since we can't seem to kick it in the end zone for a touchback.
That is also my biggest concern going forward....special teams. They are beyond terrible in almost every aspect. If they can improve as much as our back 7 then we will be ok. We can't keep losing the field position battle so badly.

bigdaddyhawg

Wrong, it matters.

Chubb is good, maybe very good.  But he is not an explosive game breaker like Gurley.

IMO Gurley is a two TD difference maker on Saturday.  Hope he stays suspended.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858