Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Todd Gurley is suspended, returns, and suffers ACL injury

Started by NoNC4Tubs, September 30, 2014, 11:41:19 am

Previous topic - Next topic

SkeeterHawg

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on October 09, 2014, 04:54:52 pm
Anyone remember 2010 when we beat Georgia in Athens? AJ Green was suspended for the exact same thing.

You mean Green didn't play in that game!! You would think the announcers would have mentioned it.

Pulled(PP)pork

I thought he played, could have sworn they mentioned his name several times and that doesn't happen to players that aren't playing....does it?

PP

jbcarol

Seth Emerson @SethEmerson  ·  11 hours ago

Stranger things have happened, but people I spoke to didn't expect a Friday reprieve to allow Gurley to play. http://www.macon.com/2014/10/09/3354084/gurley-suspended-indefinitely.html ...
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on October 09, 2014, 11:18:32 pm
Yep. Gurley sold a bunch of smaller autographed stuff and presumably some equipment as well. Sold for $8 to $25 per item.

Was Gurley selling the items for $8-$25 or was he paid $8-$25 each, for signing the items?
Or both?
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Theolesnort

You will not hear me defend Gurley at all like a bunch of you will. Rightly or wrongly the Judge that heard the case over the summer let the NCAA rule stand on that with some adjustments because of the unfair advantage concerns. Gurley knew about the rule and he selfishly showed disdain for his school his team his coaches and his team mates when he did this back in August or whenever. I don't question his talent but I question his moral fortitude and character and censure by his school and team is well deserved no matter what the NCAA does. He put his whole team in a very bad position for purely selfish reasons no matter if the NCAA By  Law is right or wrong. The only way I could defend his actions would be if his family was desperate and needed the money in the worst way and he just took a chance that he would get away with it.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: jbcarol on October 09, 2014, 06:51:07 pm
Andy Staples @Andy_Staples  ·  31 minutes ago
http://SI.com  has learned a person confirmed to Georgia compliance that he paid Gurley $400 to sign 80 items.http://www.si.com/college-football/2014/10/09/todd-gurley-georgia-bulldogs-suspension ...

If that is the case he probably just has to come up with $400 before he can be reinstated. Pretty sure that what AJ Green had to do

Biggus Piggus

Gurley will be back in time to play Arkansas, and he'll be motivated to compensate for the damage his Heisman candidacy is taking for this gaffe.
[CENSORED]!

Theolesnort

Utterly selfish on Gurley's part. He put his coaches, fellow players and team at risk. Contemptible whether the NCAA By Laws are wrong or right. It is all about him or so he thinks.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

jacobp

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on October 10, 2014, 07:48:52 am
If that is the case he probably just has to come up with $400 before he can be reinstated. Pretty sure that what AJ Green had to do
Green had to pay it back AND was suspended.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

jbcarol

Sans Gurley, is all UGA hope lost? Not just yet

Let's look on the bright side. If Georgia wanted to prove it's not a one-man team, here's the chance...Sans Gurley, is all UGA hope lost? Not just yet

Quote...if Georgia can ride Nick Chubb and Hutson Mason (or Brice Ramsey, maybe) to a one-point victory in Columbia West, things could change. Gurley is suspended indefinitely, which means what it says. Nobody knows how long this will last. It could be for the rest of the season. It could be for one game while the NCAA sorts things out.

At the moment, it's only an "alleged" violation. (Early reports indicate this investigation concerns memorabilia, the same transgression for which Johnny Manziel wound up being docked a whole half against Rice.) At the moment, the suspension is Georgia's, not the NCAA's. That's always the correct course. Nothing ticks off the NCAA like a team that has reason to believe a player might have compromised his eligibility but lets him play anyway.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

DeltaBoy

jbcarol

Scott Michaux @ScottMichaux  ·  11 minutes ago

From fans are nuts files: UGA students have set up a shrine for Todd Gurley at the stadium and are holding a candlelight vigil. #getagrip

Been10Hog

jbcarol

NBC Sports: If Todd Gurley broke a dumb NCAA rule, he still deserves to be suspended

QuoteNCAA is investigating Gurley's alleged accepting of money for his autograph, although the amount he accepted seems to be in question. The person who reportedly turned over information incriminating Gurley also seems awfully shady as well. Whatever may be the case regarding how the information was reported or discovered, there is a pretty simple reaction to all of this.

If Gurley broke a rule, the NCAA should not be criticized for enforcing its rules. It can, however, be criticized for having a ridiculous rule.

Let's be clear about this story. The NCAA rules prohibiting players from accepting compensation for their likeness or autograph etc. is a silly one that was established in a different era of the collegiate athletics world. They should be amended or discarded, and perhaps one day they will. Few would argue the rule should be maintained. Sometimes there are gray areas with the interpretation of the NCAA rules, which has been a struggle. But the bottom line is, the rules may be silly but they are still in place and should be enforced as outlined by the NCAA. Players should be aware of many of the rules, but will not always know every single line in the rule book. It is probably safe to assume the majority of players know they are not allowed to accept money for anything, and high-profile players are probably the most informed of these rules.

If Todd Gurley violated an NCAA rule as it is written, then he deserves to sit out whatever the mandated suspension time is under the NCAA rules...

Been10Hog

Quote from: Pickwick Hog on October 09, 2014, 05:41:16 pm
Here's the real deal...how in the hell did Gurley think his actions were OK? Did he disrespect Mark Richt, ignore Mark Richt or did Mark Richt not tell his team this was a No-No?
Was the entire UGA football team locked in a cave last year when Manziel went through this? Why should Mark Richt even think he had to mention it?

Been10Hog

He will probably get a 5 game suspension to go in effect after the Arkansas game due to precedent set by OSU tattoo scandal. He will then turn pro and have no consequences and probably be paid a settlement by the NCAA for hurting his feelings! :puke:

Theolesnort

Jamie Jones

If he is out this week, next week, and beyond, I think Richt gets them up for the initial game at Missouri. But they come back down to earth in LR and moving forward. The rally cry will work for the first week, but after that it is just cliché and the team will feel the loss of their leader. IMO.
I'm a Hog fan. I never chant S-E-C! I hate all the other members.

OnYourToes

it'll all be cleared up by next Sat.
Isn't that the truth

Georgia will get clobbered at MIZ - PUKE.

As of 2pm on Saturday, October 18th, Todd Gurley will be cleared of any and all charges.
Georgia will know this as of 8am Sunday 10/12, and will get a full week of prep for Arkansas.

I hope I'm wrong
Quote from: Fresh Legs on September 22, 2006, 09:56:48 am
Quote from: OnYourToes on September 22, 2006, 09:48:23 am
The wife's b-day was this past Tuesday, I got her a gift certifiacte for a message, she is going to redeem it Saturday, around 2:35ish.  I had it planned all along.  House to myself, game on, free to yell as loud as I can!!!!!

You sir are a genius!

PorkRinds

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on October 10, 2014, 07:53:44 am
Gurley will be back in time to play Arkansas, and he'll be motivated to compensate for the damage his Heisman candidacy is taking for this gaffe.

With our luck, yes, this is how it will go.  But I really don't think it will be that easy for him.  He screwed up big time, and since I've read that he admitted it instead of doing like Johnny Football and denying til the bitter end, he will likely get suspended a few games.

jbcarol

Seth Emerson @SethEmerson  ·  56 seconds ago

Where things stand right now with the Todd Gurley situation. http://www.macon.com/2014/10/10/3355293/gurley-doesnt-make-the-trip-to.html ...

QuoteGeorgia spokesman Claude Felton confirmed Friday morning that running back Todd Gurley did not make the trip to Missouri with the Bulldogs' football team for Saturday's game.

Sports Illustrated has reported that a memorabilia dealer told UGA that he paid Gurley $400. If that figure holds up, then under the NCAA's revised guidelines it would mean a one-game suspension.

But it's not known yet whether the dollar figure will increase under further investigation, assuming the original allegations are even substantiated.

The fact that memorabilia web sites purport to have authenticated Gurley autographs does not mean that each is in itself a violation. A player can sign something for free and then the item pops up on a web site to be sold. That is not a violation for the player. An investigation would have to prove that Gurley knowingly sold his autograph to a dealer, accepting money for it in the process.

As for the timing, UGA has been conducting the investigation and could conceivably wrap it up soon, depending on how it goes. But even then it has to turn over its findings to the NCAA, which would have to approve any findings...

jbcarol

John Infante @John_Infante  ·  3 hours ago

Thinking through why someone would tattle on Todd Gurley http://30mileradius.com/2014/10/thinking-through-why-someone-would-tattle-on-todd-gurley/ ... @30_Mile_Radius

Quotewhy would someone pay a college athlete to sign memorabilia, then shop a story to the media that would get the athlete in trouble before ultimately making the allegation to the school's compliance office? Many have theorized something must have gone bad in the deal between Gurley and the memorabilia broker. But even though I'm not an expert on the memorabilia trade, a bit of logic and common sense offers a reasonable explanation.

Let's say I am a memorabilia dealer who has paid a college athlete to sign items. I have done this clandestinely. But the value of the items goes up if I can authenticate the autographs, that is prove that they are real. So I video tape or photograph the athlete signing the items. I can take the items to an authentication company and get the certificates.

But how do I market what I have? By getting the salacious story out there that an athlete broke NCAA rules. If I want to do this in the least damaging way possible to the athlete, so I first try my luck with the media. That makes the story public, boosting the demand for and value of the memorabilia I am selling. So long as I refuse to cooperate with the institution or the NCAA, the odds of the player facing a significant penalty from the NCAA go way down.

Charles Robinson        ✔ @CharlesRobinson
Why did memorabilia guy shop the Todd Gurley story? Think. More items Gurley signs for others, the less his already-signed items are worth.
9:12 AM - 10 Oct 2014

jbcarol

darren rovell @darrenrovell  ·  13 hours ago

Update: Authentication company JSA authenticated at least 500 Gurley signatures (300+ jerseys, 70+ photos, 30+ mini helmets)

darren rovell @darrenrovell  ·  3 hours ago

James Spence, whose company JSA authenticated 500+ Gurley signed items, tells ESPN he is positive the signatures are real.

jbcarol

Bruce Feldman @BruceFeldmanCFB  ·  22 minutes ago

Gurley story is very fluid & who knows what else may surface.. AJC saying he's unlikely to be cleared rest of season http://bit.ly/1uRcERO

jbcarol

Spencer Hall @edsbs  ·  15 hours ago

Someone's been trying to get a Todd Gurley story out there for a while now. This is the email we got: http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/10/9/6954229/todd-gurley-suspended

Sept. 30:

I have video of Todd Gurley doing a private autograph signing ***. He has been paid thousands of dollars for his stuff over the last 18 months. I personally paid him for this signing on the video. I have bought and sold game used equipment from him.

I want no compensation. Just want someone to leak this story that's deserving. If you have any interest, give me a call or email. I attached a photo of him in my car signing a mini helmet that I just sold last week on my eBay store.

All I ask is some privacy until we can touch base.

I live on Georgia and would crucified if my name was released.

The video is about 5 minutes long but doesn't show the money exchange.

My cell is **********

I believe this would be the lead story on sports center if ESPN got their hands on this. Hope to hear from you soon.

(sic)

jbcarol

Jay Bilas @JayBilas  ·  20 hours ago

If reports are accurate, UGA's Todd Gurley took advantage of his name and likeness. That's for UGA, NCAA only.

ATLHogcallin

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: OnYourToes on October 10, 2014, 10:22:04 am
it'll all be cleared up by next Sat.
Isn't that the truth

Georgia will get clobbered at MIZ - PUKE.

As of 2pm on Saturday, October 18th, Todd Gurley will be cleared of any and all charges.
Georgia will know this as of 8am Sunday 10/12, and will get a full week of prep for Arkansas.

I hope I'm wrong

Wish this had come out a week later. 

Watch for something like Collins and Williams being unable to play against Mizzou to end the season.  Mizzou has something going. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

FearTheTusk91

Stupid rule, but it's a rule nonetheless.

Theoretically, I want to beat every team at their best, but we need bowl eligibility so badly this season that I really don't care who we beat or how to get to the 6 win mark.  If we were in any other conference, we'd get there for sure.  This helps.

:razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: FearTheTusk91 on October 10, 2014, 01:14:50 pm
Stupid rule, but it's a rule nonetheless.

Theoretically, I want to beat every team at their best, but we need bowl eligibility so badly this season that I really don't care who we beat or how to get to the 6 win mark.  If we were in any other conference, we'd get there for sure.  This helps.

:razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

Too bad this game vs Georgia is in War Memorial Stadium where we lose to Miss State, Ole Miss and UL-Monroe. I would feel better if the game was in Fayetteville.

ATLHogcallin

I'm driving from Atlanta to LR for the game next week.  I don't care where it is....I'm going to be flying my flags through Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, a sliver of Tennessee and all of eastern Arkansas proudly! 

Been10Hog

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 10, 2014, 12:37:09 pm
Now they are saying he is likely done for the season.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2014-10-10/todd-gurley-likely-to-miss-rest-of-season-ncaa-violations-memorabilia?eadid=SOC/Twi/SNMain
Not going to happen!!

No way he is suspended for season after Manziel lost half of one game for exactly the same thing! No way! I know lawyers in Athens are praying they try to do that! Make for an early pay day before Christmas!

HoginGa

You've gotta be kidding me Razorback guy...I've been telling every Georgia fan I know, including my wife , that UGA does not know the history and the loudness of WMS or they would have fought playing the game there. We win this game because its in Little Rock . People like yourself that hate on Little Rock jeopardize the Hog Nation and I for one wish you would keep it to yourself....WPS!!

ATLHogcallin

Now now children.....JUST WIN and let our running backs run HOG WILD on them!!!

Tusks

I didn't read the article but Manzel only got half a game suspension, so I think he'll be back after the Hogs game.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

HoginGa

Wish I didn't have to work ATLhogcallin I'd love to fly flags and ride behind you ...I hope you have a great ride there and a better ride home...WPS beat bama ....and beat dogs...

ATLHogcallin

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: HoginGa on October 10, 2014, 01:24:58 pm
You've gotta be kidding me Razorback guy...I've been telling every Georgia fan I know, including my wife , that UGA does not know the history and the loudness of WMS or they would have fought playing the game there. We win this game because its in Little Rock . People like yourself that hate on Little Rock jeopardize the Hog Nation and I for one wish you would keep it to yourself....WPS!!

Yeah I went to the UL-Monroe game. It got quiet in Waste Management Stadium.

ATLHogcallin

As a Razorback fan in Georgia.......I'm ARKANSAS proud....I'll watch em wherever they are played.   Get over it and WOOOO PIG SOOIE!!!!

DeltaBoy

Radio reported he is gone for the rest of the season.

hogsanity

Quote from: tusked on October 10, 2014, 01:26:34 pm
I didn't read the article but Manzel only got half a game suspension, so I think he'll be back after the Hogs game.

apparently there are a couple of differences.  1, there is a lot of evidence against Gurley, and it appears to be thousands of dollars. 2. GA has a history of coming down pretty hard on their own. Green got 4 games in 2010 for, and I could be wrong, a handful of signed shirts, and he also had to pay back $1,000.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

bphi11ips

Gurley has nothing left to prove.  The best thing that can happen to him is he doesn't have to play another game. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

sickboy

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on October 10, 2014, 01:17:16 pm
Too bad this game vs Georgia is in War Memorial Stadium where we lose to Miss State, Ole Miss and UL-Monroe. I would feel better if the game was in Fayetteville.

If it makes you feel any better... we're not playing last year's Mississippi State team, the 2012 Ole Miss team, or the 2012 UL Monroe squad... even better... we have a different team entirely. Oh... and we're playing this year's Georgia team. 

So it's almost like those other three games are different games entirely and have no ramifications on this game. So that's good.

greasy_corner

Quote from: hogsanity on October 10, 2014, 01:42:22 pm
apparently there are a couple of differences.  1, there is a lot of evidence against Gurley, and it appears to be thousands of dollars. 2. GA has a history of coming down pretty hard on their own. Green got 4 games in 2010 for, and I could be wrong, a handful of signed shirts, and he also had to pay back $1,000.

It was one shirt at 1000=4 games.  The NCAA has guidelines for the amount of money vs the length of suspension.   

Dirty

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on October 10, 2014, 01:17:16 pm

So let's play it where we lost to Alabama, Auburn, LSU, Alabama , Rutgers, see I can do it too.

DeltaBoy

Mick Hogger

I thought they never could prove the Manziel accusations? Big difference if these things on Ebay are tied to him and he's getting the money directly.
Quote from: forrest city joe on Today at 10:06:10 am
ok i get you. but do you have to post it over and over and over and over? and for the 100th time. Mike is going to be coach here no matter if you like it or not.