Texas-ATM-12

Missouri-2
Kentucky-2
Vandy-2
Tennessee-7
South Carolina-7
Georgia-12
Florida-6

So we have more than 5 other SEC schools and are equal to LSU.  Not that this is the desired standing within the conference, but I see this as significant progress by this staff. 

LJHOG

Want to challenge for the SEC crown??  Need 10+ a year from this list.

BigD94

Or develop the ones who aren't on that list
WOO PIG!

KeithStone

Quote from: LJHOG on October 06, 2014, 11:19:21 am

Really?  10+ a year?  Player #301 is so significantly inferior to player #300 that we might as well pass on them?

jrulz83

Quote from: KeithStone on October 06, 2014, 11:41:56 am
Really?  10+ a year?  Player #301 is so significantly inferior to player #300 that we might as well pass on them?

Damn your logic!!!!!
Lenin is cautiously optimistic.

LJHOG

Quote from: KeithStone on October 06, 2014, 11:41:56 am
You want shot most years?  Then yes, really.  Or you need a Cam Newton at QB.  And still you need to have a bunch of these guys.  We play in the SEC west, which is a farm league for the NFL.  You ain't have 5, 6, 7 guys drafted every year, you in trouble.  And preferably a couple in the first round.

HoustonwehaveaProblem

Butch Jones can recruit, but I'm not sold on his coaching abilities.

scooby21322

The same old reference here...but JJ Watt comes to mind.  They don't have to be ESPN300 guys to help you win.  It just increases the probability. 

My point is, this is progress.  In years past, we would be happy with 5 of these guys on NSD.  It's October and we already have 5 (along with two more 4 stars according to ESPN). 

redeye

Quote from: LJHOG on October 06, 2014, 11:59:33 am
You want shot most years?  Then yes, really.  Or you need a Cam Newton at QB.  And still you need to have a bunch of these guys.  We play in the SEC west, which is a farm league for the NFL.  You ain't have 5, 6, 7 guys drafted every year, you in trouble.  And preferably a couple in the first round.

That's a reasonable assumption, but I don't agree with it.

It is nice to see us have so many ESPN 300 players, though.

trashcan maN

There are coaches out there who bust their ass and make a living by finding undervalued players who have the intangibles to develop into great players after a year or two in the system. These coaches normally have marginal class rankings and a high number of players drafted.

Sound familiar?

Philip Seaton

Divide 300 by 25 (number of scholarships allowed by each college), you get 12. So if 12 schools filled up their rooster with ESPN 300 players no one else would get any. I get the number 10 plus. I do. Not disputing your logic at all, but player development is more important than given credit for. Getting the right players for your system is more important. It would be interesting to see some of the other non-SEC schools and the numbers they have. A&M is not surprising because, well, the state of Texas and A&M being the only SEC school in the conference. Georgia? Well again Georgia being a fertile recruiting grounds and Bama? Well Bama is Bama. On par with LSU, Florida, and Auburn at this point speaks volumes to what positive things are going on up on the Hill. It doesn't hurt that Arkansas has a better in-state class this year. That helps too. Give it time and I'll think you'll see that 10 plus as you speak. The tipping point, just waiting for that tipping point. Coming soon. Real soon IMHO.

scooby21322

Quote from: Philip Seaton on October 06, 2014, 04:25:12 pm
Divide 300 by 25 (number of scholarships allowed by each college), you get 12. So if 12 schools filled up their rooster with ESPN 300 players no one else would get any. I get the number 10 plus. I do. Not disputing your logic at all, but player development is more important than given credit for. Getting the right players for your system is more important. It would be interesting to see some of the other non-SEC schools and the numbers they have. A&M is not surprising because, well, the state of Texas and A&M being the only SEC school in the conference. Georgia? Well again Georgia being a fertile recruiting grounds and Bama? Well Bama is Bama. On par with LSU, Florida, and Auburn at this point speaks volumes to what positive things are going on up on the Hill. It doesn't hurt that Arkansas has a better in-state class this year. That helps too. Give it time and I'll think you'll see that 10 plus as you speak. The tipping point, just waiting for that tipping point. Coming soon. Real soon IMHO.

Full non-SEC list:

Clemson-12
Penn St.-10
Miami-8
Texas-8
Florida State-7
USC(w)-7
Michigan-7
Oklahoma-6
Oregon-5
Notre Dame-5
UCLA-5
Ohio St.-4
Oklahoma St.-4
North Carolina-4
Stanford-3
Baylor-3
Michigan St.-3
West Virginia-3
Texas Tech-3
Washington St.-2
Duke-2
Arizona-1
Washington-1
Arizona St.-1
Pitt-1
Nebraska-1
Virginia-1
Louisville-1
Wake Forest-1
Illinois-1
Florida Atlantic-1
BYU-1
Colorado-1
Boston College-1
Georgia Tech-1

rolyat_2008

Quote from: Mao Tse-tusk on October 06, 2014, 12:33:09 pm
Butch Jones can recruit, but I'm not sold on his coaching abilities.
looks like Gene Chizik 2.0 to me without a QB and OC

opineonswine

Quote from: rolyat_2008 on October 06, 2014, 05:15:01 pm
looks like Gene Chizik 2.0 to me without a QB and OC

Tennessee looks awful.  Year two of coaching change...Arkansas up several spots...Tenn...not so much.

redeye

To be honest, I'm not really a fan of the ESPN 300 and don't really care what they think.

scooby21322

Despite that, it's a tape measure.  It is also what gains exposure for a program because it gets the program talked about.  Future recruits see that.

onebadrubi

Critics and saban are currently using this exact excuse for his decline.  The talent he is getting isn't staying that 4th and 5th year.  It's a fine line between getting a nice O and D line with 4th and 5th year guys with a few sprinkled in skill guys.  Saban's D is filled with 2nd year guys and even a few freshman, he's not use to that...  All because his 5stars are leaving.  Now am I saying I don't want the top talent?  No, I'm just saying there is more to this game than getting your name up there with Alabama and Auburn every recruiting class. 

lumphog

Quote from: onebadrubi on October 06, 2014, 09:44:44 pm
Critics and saban are currently using this exact excuse for his decline.  The talent he is getting isn't staying that 4th and 5th year.  It's a fine line between getting a nice O and D line with 4th and 5th year guys with a few sprinkled in skill guys.  Saban's D is filled with 2nd year guys and even a few freshman, he's not use to that...  All because his 5stars are leaving.  Now am I saying I don't want the top talent?  No, I'm just saying there is more to this game than getting your name up there with Alabama and Auburn every recruiting class. 
There's a lot of truth in that

redeye

Quote from: scooby21322 on October 06, 2014, 09:37:49 pm
Despite that, it's a tape measure.  It is also what gains exposure for a program because it gets the program talked about.  Future recruits see that.

That's very true.  I just don't consider it a very good "tape measure".  I'd rather they ranked us higher, then lower, for that reason, but it's the only reason I care.

MojaveJoe

I'm not sure about a "decline" but I think there is a lot to this and the problems they have winning it all every year (which they should with all those amazing classes every year). Interesting thought.

LJHOG

Quote from: trashcan maN on October 06, 2014, 02:50:17 pm
There are coaches out there who bust their ass and make a living by finding undervalued players who have the intangibles to develop into great players after a year or two in the system. These coaches normally have marginal class rankings and a high number of players drafted.

Sound familiar?
and have zero SEC championships or NC between them.

PorkSoda

we just need to outsource our recruiting ESPN.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Großer Kriegschwein

MS State has 17 seniors on their 2-deep. Having a team full of seniors has always mattered in College Football.

This is my non-signature signature.