Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How does your confidence level for Saturday's game vs Alabama

Started by BOAR_N2BWILD, October 05, 2014, 02:34:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

GoHogs1091

In 2010 when we played Alabama, they had 9 defensive starters that didn't have much playing experience.  This season, they have defensive starters with a lot of playing experience, but they are having issues with inconsistent play from their Linebackers and their Cornerbacks.

What is really surprising is the play of their current LBs.  With the way they have recruited at the LB position, you would figure that position would be the last area they would have below optimal play. 

dynastyhog

Quote from: 3kgthog on October 05, 2014, 02:47:35 pm
My confidence level for Saturday = 0%. 2010 = 75%.

2010 had an NFL level QB, a TE better than any we have right now, the best group of WRs we've ever had, and a RB that would be a Pro Bowler if he wasn't backing up a Pro Bowler in KC. That was a very good team. The current one is not. We also had a better coach then, but that's lost on some here.

True about the QB.
Debatable about the TE.
True about WR's.
Running game is currently better.
O line is currently better.
D line is currently better.
Defense as a whole is currently better.
Staff as a whole is better by leaps and bounds.

Confidence level is not good for Saturday but it will be better in BB'S 3rd year as it also wasn't high in BP's 2nd either.
Life is too short to spend your precious time trying to convince a person who wants to live in gloom and doom otherwise. Give lifting that person your best shot, but don't hang around long enough for his or her bad attitude to pull you down. Instead surround yourself with optimistic people. - Zig Ziglar.

Ā 

redeye

Quote from: Breems on October 05, 2014, 03:35:16 pm
1% for next Saturday as there's always the chance that the entire Bama team will devolve into a group of empty A&W Cream Soda cans that don't play football well.

52-0 again, I suppose.

Wanna bet?  Winner leaves the board for a year?

Is your confidence as brash as your mouth?

proffitthog

Hog's win 38 - 24. I will also add we beat Georgia 42 - 21

code red

"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

razorbackchamps94

Quote from: nchogg on October 05, 2014, 04:31:55 pm
I think we have a better chance than in years past. We have a much better defense. Our offensive line is stout. With focus on 4th quarter play on both offense and defense we will be prepared for this game. Alabama seems like their offense is not scoreing like years past. The winner will be the team with the least mistakes and who wants it the most. Alabama may have lost to Ole Miss but we are  starving for an sec win and 2 years of shut out by Bama. Don't count this teams desire out. I for one do have confidence in our hogs. We now have a coach that depends on both sides of the ball and not just offense. The main thing we have to worry about is penalties. We will be called more than Bama, look at the face mask and touch down. I will say, Go Hogs, Beat Alabama!
[/quote Our D hasn't improvement much .. We're allowing 400 plus yards on D

dynastyhog

Life is too short to spend your precious time trying to convince a person who wants to live in gloom and doom otherwise. Give lifting that person your best shot, but don't hang around long enough for his or her bad attitude to pull you down. Instead surround yourself with optimistic people. - Zig Ziglar.

razorbackchamps94

Quote from: dynastyhog on October 05, 2014, 08:00:51 pm
True about the QB.
Debatable about the TE.
True about WR's.
Running game is currently better.
O line is currently better.
D line is currently better.
Defense as a whole is currently better.
Staff as a whole is better by leaps and bounds.

Confidence level is not good for Saturday but it will be better in BB'S 3rd year as it also wasn't high in BP's 2nd either.
How can you say the D is better ? They are allowing 400 plus yards a game , that's not improvement ... Mcfly

dynastyhog

Quote from: razorbackchamps94 on October 05, 2014, 08:30:01 pm
How can you say the D is better ? They are allowing 400 plus yards a game , that's not improvement ... Mcfly

We have played two of the best offenses in the sec.  Defense will be improved "stat wise" by seasons end.  Any other brain busters?

Dropkick

Quote from: 3kgthog on October 05, 2014, 02:47:35 pm
My confidence level for Saturday = 0%. 2010 = 75%.

2010 had an NFL level QB, a TE better than any we have right now, the best group of WRs we've ever had, and a RB that would be a Pro Bowler if he wasn't backing up a Pro Bowler in KC. That was a very good team. The current one is not. We also had a better coach then, but that's lost on some here.
Just think if Bielema never beats Bama as our HC he will beat them as many times as Bobby did. Wow? And Bobby had all those great players you named.

ronmahony

I feel like I am not going to be disappointed, we may lose this game but I feel like Bama is going to know they have been in a game. I would love to win and feel like we have a chance. I just hope we don't do anything crazy like passing 6 or 7 times in a row like we did to end the half.
"If you are able, save for them a place inside of you and save one backward glance when you are leaving for the places they can no longer go.
     Be not ashamed to say you loved them, though you may or may not have always. Take what they have taught you with their dying and keep it with your own.

And in that time when men decide and feel safe to call the war insane, take one moment to embrace those gentle heroes you left behind.

Breems

Quote from: redeye on October 05, 2014, 08:03:07 pm
Wanna bet?  Winner leaves the board for a year?

Is your confidence as brash as your mouth?

No. Those bets are stupid. If we beat Bama, I'll be here celebrating.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

Ā 

MSMHawg

Quote from: Augustus on October 05, 2014, 03:54:54 pm
Since you brought this up... Let me just remind you that, that "better Coach" never beat Bama once in his tenure here at Arkansas.  Even Houston Dale beat Bama.

Also, "Good coaches" don't inflict epic meltdowns upon their programs, via scandals... whether they result in said Coach's firing or not.

People can be brilliant offensive minds, but turn out to be horrible Coaches.

Also, I noticed in your post you didn't (couldn't) include one positive remark/stat about the defensive side of the ball under that "better Coach's" tenure.  That says a lot about that "better Coach".

We lost to three top five teams in two years. Two national champs, no one else beat Bama those two years either. 2-16. Soon to be 2-17 since Long fired Bobby. The coaching abilities are not even comparable

Dropkick

Quote from: MSMHawg on October 05, 2014, 09:21:24 pm
We lost to three top five teams in two years. Two national champs, no one else beat Bama those two years either. 2-16. Soon to be 2-17 since Long fired Bobby. The coaching abilities are not even comparable
Where you been man? We couldn't find you over on your money making thread for several days after you lost a few in a row.

MSMHawg

Quote from: Dropkick on October 05, 2014, 09:28:23 pm
Where you been man? We couldn't find you over on your money making thread for several days after you lost a few in a row.

You must not be talking about this past weekend.

Dropkick

Quote from: MSMHawg on October 05, 2014, 09:30:28 pm
You must not be talking about this past weekend.
According to your post you would have won one bet after losing how many in a row?

greasy_corner

redeye

Quote from: Breems on October 05, 2014, 09:15:30 pm
No. Those bets are stupid. If we beat Bama, I'll be here celebrating.

Yea, I agree that they're stupid, but then I'm not the one pretending we're as bad as last year.  That's the only reason I'm willing to bet this time, because I know you're spitting out more then you can chew.  So, I'm not at all surprised to hear you're not interested.

If you mean offensive coordinator abilities, then I might agree, but Bielema isn't too shabby, either.

Quote from: ronmahony on October 05, 2014, 08:49:55 pm
I feel like I am not going to be disappointed, we may lose this game but I feel like Bama is going to know they have been in a game. I would love to win and feel like we have a chance. I just hope we don't do anything crazy like passing 6 or 7 times in a row like we did to end the half.

Same here and I hope we stomp them up and down the field.

As Arkansas fans, I think we fear Alabama more then we should.  They've obviously had the best 5-year span of any team in the nation, but even though we also had some great years in there, we also fared worse against Bama then most teams during that span.  Blame Petrino, blame JLS and blame Bielema, if you must, but the fact is that we haven't fared as well against them as we should have.  Auburn, LSU, South Carolina, Texas A&M, and now, Ole Miss have all beaten them, while Georgia and Tennessee have come close.  We should have lost most of those games, but not by such huge margins.

It's time to change that.

bigpigonthehill

My confidence level is much higher than the last couple of years. I feel we can keep up with Bama until the fourth quarter. We still have to prove we can finish big games in the fourth quarter.

I don't think they can keep us off the score board. We can keep up with them because of the offense. However, we cannot (cannot turnover the ball) in this game if we want to win. Their defense is too good.

The one area we must attack is their quarterback and offensive play. If they have a weakness, it may be at quarterback which can cause problems for their offense. However, they do have some good receivers. We can shut down their run, I think, but we must put pressure on the quarterback and force errant throws. This can keep us in the game for a while. What I worry about is our defense getting worn down in the fourth quarter and not having the depth to combat Bama. We know Bama's defense has three deep depth. This may be where Bama wins the game in my opinion.

My prediction is 35 to 28 in favor of Bama but I hope my prediction is wrong. I hope like everything we win but I know defense will determine the game.
How the hell did we wind up like this? Why weren't we able to see the signs that we missed? And try to turn the tables. Nothing is wrong, just as long as you know that someday I will. Some day, Some how. Gonna make it alright but not right now. I know you're wondering when.

Piggfoot

When we came into the SEC I gave us a 30 % chance against Bama. Considering everything now. I'm raising my expectation to 45%. Go hogs.
I think we are still a year away but we are improving rapidly. Still weak in the secondary,LB's and WR. I fear Cooper kills us across the middle.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

MJ2

Not a good situation for the Hogs.   Saban will take out his frustration on us.   It will be a statement game for the Tide.

MSMHawg

Quote from: Dropkick on October 05, 2014, 09:32:26 pm
According to your post you would have won one bet after losing how many in a row?
up two grand for the year, hardly losing.

OneTuskOverTheLineā„¢

Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Ā 

OneTuskOverTheLineā„¢

Long didn't fire Bobby... Bobby went off and got himself fired...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Kevin

confidence level has not changed.

bama by 14 or more.

we have no answer for cooper.

i want to be wrong.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

bphi11ips

Don't think it will be close, but you guys are starting to convince me we have a "puncher's chance". 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Dropkick

eusebius

Quote from: proffitthog on October 05, 2014, 08:06:52 pm
Hog's win 38 - 24. I will also add we beat Georgia 42 - 21

Are you also predicting Alabama to lose 4 regular season games? In addition to OM who has already beat them, are you predicting them to lose to Ark, MSU and Aub? Do you think Alabama is going to lose back to back games? They are not out of National Title hunt. Ranked 7th they have a great shot to get back in it as they have MSU and Aub left.     
These things I know: There's no doubt Gary Anderson was very underrated . . Ike Forte had the best number ever for a running back and the best thing about the option was that last second pitch right before the DE hits the quarterback.

proffitthog

I am just predicting what the Hog's will do. The Iron bowl is a crap shoot. I think they beat MSU. :D

The Great Hogsby

Quote from: BOAR_N2BWILD on October 05, 2014, 02:34:37 pm
compare with your confidence level of Arkansas vs Alabama in 2010 - Mallet's last year? We went into that game thinking that we were as good if not better. How do we compare now?

I went into that Mallett game thinking we could win, maybe 50/50. This year, I see no chance. Maybe if they were still undefeated I would feel differently but I just don't see Saban losing the Ole Miss and Arkansas back-to-back.

The run has been stopped in the second half of each of our two losses and I believe Bama will do the same.
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it." - Jack Handey

The Great Hogsby

Quote from: eusebius on October 06, 2014, 09:14:43 am
Are you also predicting Alabama to lose 4 regular season games? In addition to OM who has already beat them, are you predicting them to lose to Ark, MSU and Aub? Do you think Alabama is going to lose back to back games? They are not out of National Title hunt. Ranked 7th they have a great shot to get back in it as they have MSU and Aub left.   

With that young quarterback, I see them getting better and better as the year goes on. I don't see another loss on their schedule.
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it." - Jack Handey

superior_wang

southarkhog06

im confident because at this point we are playing with house money, we need to be a bowl team this year to keep the rebuild on schedule anything above that is gravy. the only reason not to be confident is if you have an agenda for us to either fall apart or beat the world so you can gloat on here about your fav/most hated coach/asst coach.

The Great Hogsby

Quote from: southarkhog06 on October 06, 2014, 10:24:21 am
im confident because at this point we are playing with house money, we need to be a bowl team this year to keep the rebuild on schedule anything above that is gravy. the only reason not to be confident is if you have an agenda for us to either fall apart or beat the world so you can gloat on here about your fav/most hated coach/asst coach.

You can be confident about the future, or us making a bowl game, without having confidence that we will beat Alabama. Seeing things for what they are doesn't make you a bad fan, it makes you realistic.

If we beat Alabama I'll be happy and probably pretty surprised. I expect them to beat us because they are the better football team, not because we are going in the wrong direction.

010HogFan

I'm not afraid of Alabama at all. They looked very pedestrian against Ole Miss. They have some areas in the secondary that we can exploit if we can establish a running game. Our passing game isn't as bad as everyone around here wants to make it out to be. We actually slung it around pretty good against A&M. If I'm Alabama, I'm pretty nervous about going up against the best running combo in the nation. They are as good as ever on the d-line, but they haven't played anyone with a rushing attack like ours yet. If our D-line can generate pressure on Sims, he WILL throw up a pass or two that we will have a chance to intercept. He's not McElroy or McCarron, and Cooper can't beat us by himself.

...and it's tough to win on the road. Just ask our basketball team. Coming off the bye week, I think we will be ready, and I think we will have a very good chance to win.

PennHOG

I wonder if this counts for anything.  Tthis will be the 3'd year that Brandon Allen will be facing Alabama.

1.  He's healthy
2.  He's more accurate
3.  He's making better decisions
4.  He's studied Alabama's Defense for 3 years
5.  He's studied his mistakes against Alabama for 2 years

I have to wonder if we may see an emergence of a Brandon Allen that wants to erase the last two years of failure.  Stranger things have happened.

It's still going to be very tough to keep the Tide under 35-40 points.  We are just not there defensively to stop all that talent.  Offensively, if Brandon Allen can keep the chains moving on 3 down we can possibly keep pace with them.  Also, special teams could provide us a lift.

However, I'm just simply hoping for something better than 52-0.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

three hog night

Quote from: 010HogFan on October 06, 2014, 10:48:30 am
I'm not afraid of Alabama at all. They looked very pedestrian against Ole Miss. They have some areas in the secondary that we can exploit if we can establish a running game. Our passing game isn't as bad as everyone around here wants to make it out to be. We actually slung it around pretty good against A&M. If I'm Alabama, I'm pretty nervous about going up against the best running combo in the nation. They are as good as ever on the d-line, but they haven't played anyone with a rushing attack like ours yet. If our D-line can generate pressure on Sims, he WILL throw up a pass or two that we will have a chance to intercept. He's not McElroy or McCarron, and Cooper can't beat us by himself.

...and it's tough to win on the road. Just ask our basketball team. Coming off the bye week, I think we will be ready, and I think we will have a very good chance to win.

Our safeties have to play over their heads for us to be competitive.  Cooper and OJ Howard will stress our safety decision making.  The Bama Oline is good but not as good as in the past, so our def front should be competitive.  Sims has a good arm but before Ole Miss he had played teams with defense issues.  Our LB's are going to earn their scholarships in this game, because Yeldon and Henry will make them pay for taking the wrong gaps or keys.
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 
Posters that think they are Jim Rhome are ruining message boards.

eusebius

Quote from: 010HogFan on October 06, 2014, 10:48:30 am

The reason they looked pedestrian vs Ole Miss is that Ole Miss is good. They match up well with Alabama with the ability to put pressure on the QB and tackle in space. Ark can put pressure on the QB, but we can't cover in space and have not tackled well in space. If you watched the OM game, Bama would throw short passes to Cooper and OM would make the open field tackle. Cooper had his lowest output of the season on Sat, 9 catches for 90 yds. It's the only game that he has been under a 100 yds all season. Cooper is the key.     
These things I know: There's no doubt Gary Anderson was very underrated . . Ike Forte had the best number ever for a running back and the best thing about the option was that last second pitch right before the DE hits the quarterback.

three hog night

Quote from: eusebius on October 06, 2014, 11:13:16 am
The reason they looked pedestrian vs Ole Miss is that Ole Miss is good. They match up well with Alabama with the ability to put pressure on the QB and tackle in space. Ark can put pressure on the QB, but we can't cover in space and have not tackled well in space. If you watched the OM game, Bama would throw short passes to Cooper and OM would make the open field tackle. Cooper had his lowest output of the season on Sat, 9 catches for 90 yds. It's the only game that he has been under a 100 yds all season. Cooper is the key.     

Ole Miss is talented at every level of their defense so they have a complete defense that is rare.   Bama couldn't get Cooper freed up with coverage that kept him in front.   Bama looked great against UF but that is a terrible UF team.    Bama has not played any offense like us this year, but we have played multiple teams with that quality of player and scheme.   They have quick def tackles that we need to run straight into so we negate their lateral quickness.  We learned a lot from the AU and A&M games in this regard and changes we should be prepared for.
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 
Posters that think they are Jim Rhome are ruining message boards.

010HogFan

Agreed on all counts. I, for one, wasn't particularly impressed with Henry. That's the first time I've watched him play this year, but he just looked big and slow to the hole. Think Broderick Green. I'm used to our guys hitting the hole super quick, I guess, but it seemed like he's gotten significantly slower since their bowl game last year. Yeldon is better.

MSMHawg

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLineā„¢ link=topic=577067.m

sg9244116#msg9244116 date=1412601801

He laughed his freaking head off..!

Because that is what lunatics do

MSMHawg

Quote from: Dropkick on October 06, 2014, 08:55:20 am
interesting math...............................

LV 4-2 to spread Ark 3-1 so for me that is 5-5. Auburn is 4-1. That is 9-6 so in those games +900

Dropkick

Quote from: MSMHawg on October 06, 2014, 12:47:58 pm
LV 4-2 to spread Ark 3-1 so for me that is 5-5. Auburn is 4-1. That is 9-6 so in those games +900
Your topic stated betting on LV and against Hogs all year. You never stated you were betting Auburn every game. You also disappeared from that thread after your losing hat trick weekend but magically re-appeared after this weekend. Have fun with your charade, it is entertaining.

MSMHawg

Quote from: Dropkick on October 06, 2014, 01:57:40 pm
Your topic stated betting on LV and against Hogs all year. You never stated you were betting Auburn every game. You also disappeared from that thread after your losing hat trick weekend but magically re-appeared after this weekend. Have fun with your charade, it is entertaining.

Disappeared,? This board is not that important to me as it is to you evidently. It is not how I identify myself.

BOAR_N2BWILD

Quote from: Kevin on October 06, 2014, 08:34:18 am
confidence level has not changed.

bama by 14 or more.

we have no answer for cooper.

i want to be wrong.

While a kind of agree with you, I see that the answer to Cooper is to keep cooper on the side lines. We have done a pretty good job of keeping the ball out of our opponents hands thus far.
Phil. 4:13 "I can do all things through Him, who gives me strength."

MSMHawg

Quote from: Dropkick on October 06, 2014, 01:57:40 pm

Spread right now is Bama 9.5, how about you and I bet 10 grand, I will give you 10.5 and take Bama. Show us all you are a big fan and defender of the Hogs.

Dropkick

Quote from: MSMHawg on October 06, 2014, 02:39:43 pm
Spread right now is Bama 9.5, how about you and I bet 10 grand, I will give you 10.5 and take Bama. Show us all you are a big fan and defender of the Hogs.
Thanks for the PM, I will forward to the mods. I wouldn't trust you with a 10 cent bet even if you are a keyboard millionaire. You wouldn't even come back to the thread you started till you won a game.  But as I said you are entertaining.

By the way, I don't bet with my heart and wouldn't touch either side of that line.

southarkhog06

Quote from: The Great Hogsby on October 06, 2014, 10:31:09 am
You can be confident about the future, or us making a bowl game, without having confidence that we will beat Alabama. Seeing things for what they are doesn't make you a bad fan, it makes you realistic.

If we beat Alabama I'll be happy and probably pretty surprised. I expect them to beat us because they are the better football team, not because we are going in the wrong direction.
60% Bama 40% Us all things considered

Dropkick

Quote from: Dropkick on October 06, 2014, 03:04:42 pm
Thanks for the PM, I will forward to the mods. I wouldn't trust you with a 10 cent bet even if you are a keyboard millionaire. You wouldn't even come back to the thread you started till you won a game.  But as I said you are entertaining.

By the way, I don't bet with my heart and wouldn't touch either side of that line.

Changed my mind about forwarding PM, wouldn't want to lose your comedic value here, lol.