Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How does your confidence level for Saturday's game vs Alabama

Started by BOAR_N2BWILD, October 05, 2014, 02:34:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BOAR_N2BWILD

compare with your confidence level of Arkansas vs Alabama in 2010 - Mallet's last year? We went into that game thinking that we were as good if not better. How do we compare now?
Phil. 4:13 "I can do all things through Him, who gives me strength."

Dr. Starcs

Not good. But admittedly I never feel good about any game.

hawg IQ

Quote from: BOAR_N2BWILD on October 05, 2014, 02:34:37 pm
compare with your confidence level of Arkansas vs Alabama in 2010 - Mallet's last year? We went into that game thinking that we were as good if not better. How do we compare now?
Chances are nowhere near as good as 2010, which BTW we should have won.
  But yet in College football anything can happen ( see yesterday's upsets). Hogs have a chance, a decent chance I think, it could happen.
go hogs go !

3kgthog

My confidence level for Saturday = 0%. 2010 = 75%.

2010 had an NFL level QB, a TE better than any we have right now, the best group of WRs we've ever had, and a RB that would be a Pro Bowler if he wasn't backing up a Pro Bowler in KC. That was a very good team. The current one is not. We also had a better coach then, but that's lost on some here.

4me2know

Quote from: 3kgthog on October 05, 2014, 02:47:35 pm

2010 had an NFL level QB, a TE better than any we have right now, the best group of WRs we've ever had, and a RB that would be a Pro Bowler if he wasn't backing up a Pro Bowler in KC. That was a very good team. The current one is not. We also had a better coach then, but that's lost on some here.
We also had a better coach

[attachment deleted by admin]

Bubba's Bruisers

I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

eusebius

Truth.
These things I know: There's no doubt Gary Anderson was very underrated . . Ike Forte had the best number ever for a running back and the best thing about the option was that last second pitch right before the DE hits the quarterback.

Dr. Starcs

trashcan maN

We had a better offensive schemer and playcaller, but head coaching duties dont end there. The fact that he recruited about 9 SEC level athletes, including Hocker, over a 2 yr period in 2010 and 2011 has kind of set us back......but thats lost on some here.

2010=80% confident
2014=8% confident

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: BOAR_N2BWILD on October 05, 2014, 02:34:37 pm

Last Friday Paul Finebaum called it a crapshoot.  Of course Bama always seems to play these games with loaded dice.

Arkansas was near its peak under Petrino when Bama came calling in 2010.  Saban's team was slightly off but still in the midst of what will likely be remembered as the program's all-time peak.

This year both programs are on the move, Arkansas trying to finally pull it all together in a big game, Bama desperately trying to hang on to what might be the last true chance for a title.

Ole Miss upsetting Alabama was a shock.  Arkansas beating Bama with it's own game will signal a true power shift and maybe the end of a great dynasty.  I am reminded of 1971 when Oklahoma and Arkansas pounded the Longhorns back to back with their own Wishbone. 

Two very smart and capable coaches know what's on the line and you can expect their teams will reflect it.  If we thought last week in Arlington was intense then Saturday in Fayetteville will top it by a country mile.  These Razorbacks have been through a couple of rough dress rehearsals on the road this year but one gets the feeling that this is finally showtime.

HOGINTENNESSEE

That 2010 Bama Team was Saben's worst Bama team (not considering his first season)

Hollywood_HOGan45

Higher in 2010 only because we had a top ten team that had three years to develop.

I do like the fact that bama will be beat up and we are coming off a bye. Also Alabama isn't as good as a normal bama team.

Anything can happen. Proven just this past weekend.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Petrino was an awsome coach that developed awsome teams in 10 and 11.

Too bad he couldn't recruit with a damn coming off those great seasons  or keep his pen out of the company ink.

Wants2Win

100% confident we will score this year. Baby steps guys.

dagnamit

Alabama has an awful QB. This might be the only SEC game we play where the Hogs have the best QB.

Breems

1% for next Saturday as there's always the chance that the entire Bama team will devolve into a group of empty A&W Cream Soda cans that don't play football well.

52-0 again, I suppose.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: dagnamit on October 05, 2014, 03:32:33 pm
Alabama has an awful QB. This might be the only SEC game we play where the Hogs have the best QB.

Lsu

eusebius

[/quote

I assume you are kidding. Sims threw for 445 yds and 4 scores in an SEC game vs Florida. 
These things I know: There's no doubt Gary Anderson was very underrated . . Ike Forte had the best number ever for a running back and the best thing about the option was that last second pitch right before the DE hits the quarterback.

dagnamit

Augustus

Since you brought this up... Let me just remind you that, that "better Coach" never beat Bama once in his tenure here at Arkansas.  Even Houston Dale beat Bama.

Also, "Good coaches" don't inflict epic meltdowns upon their programs, via scandals... whether they result in said Coach's firing or not.

People can be brilliant offensive minds, but turn out to be horrible Coaches.

Also, I noticed in your post you didn't (couldn't) include one positive remark/stat about the defensive side of the ball under that "better Coach's" tenure.  That says a lot about that "better Coach".

eusebius

Quote from: dagnamit on October 05, 2014, 03:49:01 pm
Ok. We will have the advantage against LSU at QB.

LOL. Okay you are forgiven. The issue with Alabama is not QB. Ole Miss is very skilled defensively and has outstanding team speed. Cooper and Jones had to work for everything they got yesterday. Sims will hit some deep ones vs us and we will have our hands full with those receivers. 

Smokehouse

I don't like getting Bama after a loss.

I do like having the bye week before the game and having them come to Fayetteville.

I think Bama wins by a couple touchdowns but the Hogs keep it close going into the 4th before lack of depth strikes again.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

Atlhogfan1

We were better than Bama in 2010.  This Bama team is just below the level of that Bama team.  We aren't close.  Mallett's arm strength and our speed at wr could stretch the field against most teams.  And we hurt Bama early because they like to man up in the secondary and have their LB's cover.  As the game went on, SEC officials let Bama DBs get really physical and grabby and we didn't try and have a run game. 

I think we will make some plays offensively because of our TE's.  Bama's defensive front can pressure Allen so we need either have our backs help in protection or have quick throws. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

nchogg

I think we have a better chance than in years past. We have a much better defense. Our offensive line is stout. With focus on 4th quarter play on both offense and defense we will be prepared for this game. Alabama seems like their offense is not scoreing like years past. The winner will be the team with the least mistakes and who wants it the most. Alabama may have lost to Ole Miss but we are  starving for an sec win and 2 years of shut out by Bama. Don't count this teams desire out. I for one do have confidence in our hogs. We now have a coach that depends on both sides of the ball and not just offense. The main thing we have to worry about is penalties. We will be called more than Bama, look at the face mask and touch down. I will say, Go Hogs, Beat Alabama!

wupigsuey

It hasn't changed. I still think we have a shot. OM dude said it best, Bama isn't as good as they've been in the past.
A Hogville member since July 24, 2004<br /><br />The average response time of a 911 call is 23 minutes, <br />the response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

Atlhogfan1

If LK will establish their run game, they have a chance to wear us out and hit some pass plays.  OJ Howard will not have as awful of a game as he just had.  I do not like that matchup against our LBs and S's. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

HF#1

There are a few matchups that make me very nervous. 

1. Cooper vs anyone in our secondary.

2. Yeldon vs anyone in our secondary. (Tackling)  Henry makes me even more nervous

3. Our O-line vs their D Line.  I'm not sure how good Alabama is at stopping the run this year. 

If we can run the ball and limit Cooper big plays, we will have a pretty good shot to win.  If Cooper has a big day, we will have a long day. 
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Danny J

Better than 2010. They are not even as good as that team that went on to lose 3 games.

Grunt

Quote from: Danny J on October 05, 2014, 04:59:58 pm
Better than 2010. They are not even as good as that team that went on to lose 3 games.
Same here. In 2010 I felt we had a good chance. This time I believe we will win.
The above is likely to be highly biased and may not be defensible.

Pigstie

Rushing Offense - even
Passing Offense - bama
Rushing Defense - even
Passing Defense - bama
Special Teams - bama
The views and opinions of this poster are personal only, and are not one of a professional coach or X Box player.  Beware the Mall Cop.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Pigstie on October 05, 2014, 06:24:10 pm
Rushing Offense - even
Passing Offense - bama
Rushing Defense - even
Passing Defense - bama
Special Teams - bama

You gave Bama STs the edge after yesterday?  I think both have issues.  Marshall may give us an edge. 

If Bama would go to their rushing game and show patience with it, their rushing game vs our defensive front could be a big advantage for them in the second half plus the play action they could get off of it vs our LBs and Ss. 

BigPapaHawg

WOO PIG

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

870hogfan

The_Bionic_Pig

3kgthog hasn't been a fan of Arkansas football since Bobby Petrino's departure.  He simply hangs around to takes shots at the current staff whenever the opportunity presents itself. 

Alabama will be fired up and if we can survive the initial onslaught then doubt by Bama playersmay start replace confidence in the later stages of the game.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Augustus

Rushing Offense - even
Passing Offense - bama
Rushing Defense - even
Passing Defense - bama
Special Teams - bama

I disagree on the Special Teams.

Field Goal kicks? Yes, both Hogs & Bama have lackluster FG kickers... Bama knows this more than anyone, and we do too after last week.  Equal.

punt/KO returns? Advantage Arkansas.  Especially if Korliss Marshall is returning.

Kickoffs? Advantage Bama. I can't remember the last time this year that Arkansas put a kickoff through the endzone.

Punts? Advantage Arkansas. Sam Irwin Hill. Who's not only a very versatile punter, but has proven he can also fake and run the ball.

From the Bama fans I follow on twitter, one of their biggest gripes about the Ole Miss loss was the continued lack of focus from Saban regarding Special Teams.

I say Special Teams advantage goes to Arkansas.

HSVhogfan2

If Alabama rushes for 220 like they did against Ole Miss, Arkansas 40% chance to win. If they trust Sims enough and he throws for big yardage like against Fl, 0% chance.
"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

wupigsuey

Rushing Offense - even
Passing Offense - bama
Rushing Defense - even
Passing Defense - bama
Special Teams - bama

I say our running game is better.
A Hogville member since July 24, 2004<br /><br />The average response time of a 911 call is 23 minutes, <br />the response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

The_Bionic_Pig

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Hedgehog79

Rushing Offense - even
Passing Offense - bama
Rushing Defense - even
Passing Defense - bama
Special Teams - bama
coach - bama

older boar

If we can get past the "It's Bama" syndrome I think we have a shot.

Am I confident that we win (no) but I am confident that we will play a hard nosed, smash-mouth SEC football game that will leave both teams battered and bruised. There is a reason that almost any victory over BAMA is considered an upset. Their roster is full of top rated talent and their coaches are always top tier. They are sound in all aspects of the game and it generally takes a very good plan executed nearly flawless to come out on top.

I go to one game a year and this one is it this year. I did not book it expecting a lopsided loss and will be one sick puppy if that happens.

srwhogs1

Our team now believes they can beat bama, HOGS win Saturday night..

VirginiaHog

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

October 05, 2014, 07:28:31 pm #45 Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 07:40:37 pm by dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya
I feel better about our team after the A&M loss than I did about ANY win under Dale.

If that makes it the hated "moral victory", then oh well.  It is what it is.

I am confident we can beat anybody on any given day, and next year I think we will be good enough to expect to win every time we take the field.

*EDIT*  And I know Dale wasn't our coach in 2010.

To answer the OP, I feel about the same.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

go hogues

Quote from: Smokehouse on October 05, 2014, 03:57:57 pm
I don't like getting Bama after a loss.

I do like having the bye week before the game and having them come to Fayetteville.

I think Bama wins by a couple touchdowns but the Hogs keep it close going into the 4th before lack of depth strikes again.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

HognVA

Confidence is not high, but then again we haven't done that well in big games when we all expected to win. Most of our big game wins have come when least expected. I BELIEVE we will beat at least one SEC West team this  year. Might as well start this week.

Go Hogs

redeye

Wow, that's hard.  I can definitely say that it's not as high now, but the difference isn't huge.  However, that's largely because I don't think Alabama's as good as it was in 2010, although 2010 ended up being a bad year for the Tide, overall.

In 2010, I thought we could have, and should have, won the game.  This year I think it's unlikely, but still very possible.

redeye

Quote from: Locutus_of_Boar on October 05, 2014, 03:17:18 pm
Arkansas was near its peak under Petrino when Bama came calling in 2010.  Saban's team was slightly off but still in the midst of what will likely be remembered as the program's all-time peak.

Excellent point.  If you're simply looking to compare Bielema and Petrino, then we should be talking about how both fared in their second years.  That was 2009 for Petrino and we lost 35-7.  I think we can do better then that in Bielema's second year and Bielema has had a longer path to install his system.