Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Biggest day for football in the State of Mississippi, ever?

Started by popcornhog, October 02, 2014, 09:52:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

popcornhog

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/state-of-mississippi-braces-for-historical-saturday-071407980-ncaaf.html

"Four undefeated teams ranked in the top 12 playing on the same day, 93 miles apart?" he said, incredulous. "In Missi-bleeping-sippi?"

Nobody could have dreamed up this Saturday, where the nation's No. 6 team would visit No. 12, and the nation's No. 3 team would visit No. 11, without a loss between them. Not here, at least.

Maybe one state to the east, where Alabama and Auburn have won fistfuls of titles and hosted scores of big games. Or down in Florida. Possibly over in Texas, or out in California.

WPS

Steef

It has begun. The SEC will now feed on its own.

Can't be helped.

davglo35

popcornhog

Quote from: davglo35 on October 03, 2014, 12:59:02 am
I bet both Mississippi teams lose.

I've got State beating A&M coming off of a bye whereas A&M is coming off of a brutal, physical, hard fought OT win against the hogs.

I've got Bama over the Rebs but I think it'll be close.

MSU 38
A&M 30

Bama 17
Ole Miss 10
WPS

NaturalStateReb

This is the first time ever that Ole Miss and State are both 4-0 at the same time. 
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

go hogues

Hate this. The MS schools are the only only remaining schools in the west that we can try to stay above.

If both win this weekend, which I think both will, the exposure they get will even further boost their unbelievable recruiting and leave Arkansas as the true odd men out in the west for years to come.

We should ALWAYS be better than these two schools and yet we continue to languish at the bottom.

GO Bama and aTm!
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

ldfergu

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

HOGSWEAT

Ole Miss has never won the West. Maybe its time. I think whoever loses last will win the West this year. It's not entirely farfetched that a two loss team will play for the SEC Championship in the west.

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

DeltaBoy

Quote from: davglo35 on October 03, 2014, 12:59:02 am
I bet both Mississippi teams lose.

To Qoute Cal Coolidge "You Lose".

Yes this was the single greatest day in Mississippi History since Archie Manning signed to play at Old Miss.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

jbcarol

AL.com sports @aldotcomSports  ·  8 hours ago

Early lines have Ole Miss, Mississippi State as underdogs this week | http://AL.com  http://ow.ly/CjdD3

jbcarol

Robby Donoho @RobbyDonoho  ·  20 hours ago

I got a first look at Uncle Bunky's artwork featuring Mississippi State and Ole Miss for Monday. He's amazing.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: jbcarol on October 06, 2014, 09:10:58 am
Robby Donoho @RobbyDonoho  ·  20 hours ago

I got a first look at Uncle Bunky's artwork featuring Mississippi State and Ole Miss for Monday. He's amazing.

I had a old Coach tell me it will take 25-50 years to undo the advantages the Moneyed Big Schools like Texas and Mich who could put all the players they wanted on scholarships just to keep Ark and Sparty from getting them.  I believe we are seeing this today.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

jbcarol

Neal McCready @NealMcCready  ·  2 hours ago

Freeze was just asked if all of this was set in motion by @LeighAnneTuohy picking up @MichaelOher Seriously. That happened.

Freeze, to his credit, gave a representative, decent answer. I would have laughed out loud. I almost did laugh out loud.

Hugh Kellenberger @HKellenbergerCL  ·  1 hour ago

Hugh Freeze is a better person than me. Awful, awful question right now that claims Leigh Anne Touhy responsible for all of this.

He handled it as best as he could. I'd have been far, far less gracious.

Hugh Kellenberger @HKellenbergerCL  ·  2 hours ago

Not someone who is normally here. RT @Rightofthefig: @HKellenbergerCL Who in the heck asked that question???

Dani Wex @DaniWex  ·  2 hours ago

Gorgeous day today

jbcarol

Quote from: jbcarol on October 06, 2014, 02:41:42 pm
Neal McCready @NealMcCready  ·  2 hours ago

Freeze was just asked if all of this was set in motion by @LeighAnneTuohy picking up @MichaelOher Seriously. That happened.

Freeze, to his credit, gave a representative, decent answer. I would have laughed out loud. I almost did laugh out loud.

Hugh Kellenberger @HKellenbergerCL  ·  1 hour ago

Hugh Freeze is a better person than me. Awful, awful question right now that claims Leigh Anne Touhy responsible for all of this.

He handled it as best as he could. I'd have been far, far less gracious.

Hugh Kellenberger @HKellenbergerCL  ·  2 hours ago

Not someone who is normally here. RT @Rightofthefig: @HKellenbergerCL Who in the heck asked that question???

Dani Wex @DaniWex  ·  2 hours ago

Gorgeous day today

D ‏@Dcare24 1 hour ago

.@HKellenbergerCL @38Godfrey i bet he was Blindsided by that ...

Atlhogfan1

Just a coincidence Freeze got a non coaching job at Ole Miss just a few weeks after Oher signed.

Perhaps he is the Scott Drew of college football. 

HogScoutMaster

stop being Jealous, it doesnt help.

I am very happy for Ole Myth!  That was a hard fought battle to the VERY VERY END.  Fabulous game   
"A week of camp life is worth six months of
theoretical teaching in the meeting room."

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 06, 2014, 02:51:34 pm
Just a coincidence Freeze got a non coaching job at Ole Miss just a few weeks after Oher signed.

Perhaps he is the Scott Drew of college football. 

Or the Gus Malzahn.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on October 06, 2014, 04:25:28 pm
Or the Gus Malzahn.

I intentionally avoided that comparison.   ;D

Did you make it to Oxford this past weekend?  I'm sure you were excited. 

intelligence

We
Quote from: NaturalStateReb on October 03, 2014, 09:39:15 am
This is the first time ever that Ole Miss and State are both 4-0 at the same time.
Natural state Reb, if you will recall I stated previously the rebs would falter behind spotty play from Wallace, and that the defense wouldn't be enough to carry the rebels. I was wrong. Not only is the defense good enough to carry the rebels, it is one of if not the bed in the country, and Wallace made some nice plays on Saturday. Congrats to your rebs, may they or ms state un throne auburn and carry our conference banner with pride into battle in the playoffs. I will pull for ole miss to be the team this year that reps sec in da championship.

jbcarol

SEC Sports @SEC  ·  30 minutes ago

RT @SInow: MISSISSIPPI MAYHEM! http://on.si.com/1oN77Gm 

Tick Hog

I would have never dreamed they both would be this good. The SEC West is just down right nasty right now.

moses_007

Mississippi State is for real, and I believe they are the best team in the country right now.  Mississippi is #2, and Florida State #3 in my book.  FSU doesn't play anybody.

XavierZane

It's crazy what can happen when a coach is actually given time to rebuild. 

jfred59

You mean when some recruits get some real money.  Ole Miss is bad dirty

popcornhog

Unbelievable what a Patsy schedule can do for a school like FSU. What a joke!
WPS

jbcarol

Bill Rabinowitz @brdispatch  ·  42 minutes ago
I am seriously considering having the Mississippi teams as the top 2 on my AP ballot. I'd never have imagined that a month ago.

jbcarol

Brett McMurphy @McMurphyESPN  ·  2 hours ago
My AP ballot: MissSt OleMiss FSU Bay ND Aub Az Ore TCU Ala MichSt OU Ga OhSt OkSt ECU KSU Neb Utah ASU Clem USC Marsh WVU A&M

Mick Hogger

Who would have ever thought the Egg Bowl could have National Championship contender implications for both teams and the Iron Bowl might not?
Quote from: forrest city joe on Today at 10:06:10 am
ok i get you. but do you have to post it over and over and over and over? and for the 100th time. Mike is going to be coach here no matter if you like it or not.

Sweet Feet

Wacky year. Unscripted. However, if both mississippi schools can reach the top like that being in a state the same size as arkansas, this should give the hogs hope in the near future if they get it together.

WarPig88

Ole Miss isn't that surprising when you understand that they have been doling out the bucks to get talent under Freeze.

Miss St is straight out of the blue thought. Incredible defensive depth.

31to6

Quote from: WarPig88 on October 12, 2014, 01:27:44 pm
Ole Miss isn't that surprising when you understand that they have been doling out the bucks to get talent under Freeze.

MSU shows what can happen if a fan base is patient.

Everyone knew they were getting better, but they were on the losing end of the stick 3-4 times a year.

This year is a perfect storm for them: great QB, a very senior laden team, traditional powers with ???'s, and a relatively favorable schedule (For the SEC-W).

Sweet Feet

man i refuse to believe every underradar team that gets surprisingly good is cheating. Freeze is a good coach and hes in fertile recruiting grounds. The fact he had a small role in "The Blindside" im sure has a role too.

wupigsuey

Quote from: Sweet Feet on October 12, 2014, 01:51:27 pm
man i refuse to believe every underradar team that gets surprisingly good is cheating. Freeze is a good coach and hes in fertile recruiting grounds. The fact he had a small role in "The Blindside" im sure has a role too.

Too bad Astate is such a crappy school. Maybe they could've kept Freeze.
A Hogville member since July 24, 2004<br /><br />The average response time of a 911 call is 23 minutes, <br />the response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

Sweet Feet

Quote from: wupigsuey on October 12, 2014, 01:57:05 pm
Too bad Astate is such a crappy school. Maybe they could've kept Freeze.
i didn see anyone say anything about asu.... U must be insecure lol

wupigsuey

Quote from: Sweet Feet on October 12, 2014, 01:58:19 pm
i didn see anyone say anything about asu.... U must be insecure lol

I said it.

You didn't see my post you quoted?
A Hogville member since July 24, 2004<br /><br />The average response time of a 911 call is 23 minutes, <br />the response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

pigskenG

I still think somethings up when a coach goes from Arkansas State to Ole Miss and immediately recruits the #1 DE, #1 WR, & #1 OL, and none from Mississippi. As for Mississippi St., their starters are mostly seniors, they won't have another year like this for quite a while. I still think if Florida goes looking for a new coach this is their first stop. And recruiting is easier at Florida.

Baller

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11688921/mississippi-state-bulldogs-rise-no-1-associated-press-college-football-poll

Wow, got to be proud of our brethren here.  What an accomplishment!!  Funny thing is, they LOOK like the best team in the country.  It's not luck and it's not schedule (3 straight top-10 teams beaten), it's real, folks.

If they can do it, we can do it, I know that much!!

Sweet Feet

Quote from: wupigsuey on October 12, 2014, 02:02:50 pm
I said it.

You didn't see my post you quoted?
i didn see anyone else post about them before u

Sweet Feet

Quote from: pigskenG on October 12, 2014, 02:08:50 pm
I still think somethings up when a coach goes from Arkansas State to Ole Miss and immediately recruits the #1 DE, #1 WR, & #1 OL, and none from Mississippi. As for Mississippi St., their starters are mostly seniors, they won't have another year like this for quite a while. I still think if Florida goes looking for a new coach this is their first stop. And recruiting is easier at Florida.
has ole miss been in trouble for cheating before?

wupigsuey

Quote from: Sweet Feet on October 12, 2014, 02:13:55 pm
i didn see anyone else post about them before u

Besides you're the one who brought up Freeze who left your school to go to a real school.

Baller

Ole Miss #3.  Anyone counting on the MS schools for wins before the season started probably should reconsider. 

Has the whole world gone mad??

popcornhog

Which players did Ole Miss pay? How much did they pay them?
WPS

Baller

Sweet Feet

Quote from: wupigsuey on October 12, 2014, 02:15:58 pm
Besides you're the one who brought up Freeze who left your school to go to a real school.
u suck at trolling lol. "Freeze" wasn even in my first quote. Keep tryn

passinghog

Down season in the SEC. The east stinks and Alabama and LSU are young and inexperienced on defense. Everything is cyclical.