Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Stopping Amari Cooper?

Started by TheRazorbackGuy, September 30, 2014, 02:34:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

TheRazorbackGuy

He looks like the best WR in the nation this year. He can block also. How do you contain/stop him?

Locutus_of_Boar

ricepig

I figure some Ole Siss DB will cheap shot him this weekend.

code red

Quote from: ricepig on September 30, 2014, 02:39:42 pm
I figure some Ole Siss DB will cheap shot him this weekend.
I figure I will go to hell for praying for that....right??
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

The_Iceman

Honestly, we need Henre Toliver to be healthy for the Bama game. I think rotating he and Tevin Mitchel on him might be our best shot. He will be a tough cover tho. I don't think Alan Turner will be able to help on him, just not fast enough.

HF#1

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

code red

IDK how you stop him....he is a top 5 draft pick for sure.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: The_Iceman on September 30, 2014, 02:42:14 pm
Honestly, we need Henre Toliver to be healthy for the Bama game. I think rotating he and Tevin Mitchel on him might be our best shot. He will be a tough cover tho. I don't think Alan Turner will be able to help on him, just not fast enough.

Cooper will have to be contained, but how do you do it?

LA Football fan

You hit the qb before he throws the ball.  Only way to stop him.

ricepig

Quote from: code red on September 30, 2014, 02:41:51 pm
I figure I will go to hell for praying for that....right??

Nothing serious, just miss our game.....right??

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: HF#1 on September 30, 2014, 02:42:33 pm
Pass Interference?

HF, it might be better to give up 15 yards than a longer TD. +1 if I could

HF#1

You either have to get a good pass rush on Sims or you have to knock Amari off his routes.  Get physical with him at the LOS. 
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

PorkRinds

Yep.  Anything over 15 yards, interfere. 

Jerrajo

Hold him to nothing until the fourth quarter. Then let him score as much as he wants on the deep ball. That seems to be the game plan.

The_Iceman

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on September 30, 2014, 02:43:50 pm
Cooper will have to be contained, but how do you do it?

I would tell our DB's to force Cooper to the outside. Don't let him cut over the middle. Make their QB make the tough throw to the sideline.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: Jerrajo on September 30, 2014, 02:47:51 pm
Hold him to nothing until the fourth quarter. Then let him score as much as he wants on the deep ball. That seems to be the game plan.

I don't think the Bama game will be that close

Jerrajo

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on September 30, 2014, 02:50:37 pm
I don't think the Bama game will be that close

Maybe not. But we still have to give up big pass plays in the fourth quarter. Thats our mo.

bigred223

He's going to get his, we just can't allow him to have a record day. The dline really needs to do a good job of stuffing the run and putting Bama in long third downs so that we have the opportunity to bring pressure and disrupt their timing.

I know we are all bummed about the way the A&M game ended, but I don't know how anyone could watch that game and think that we don't have a very solid team. We have a punchers chance against Bama if we clean up the errors we had against A&M. Let's face it we had our worst day as far as penalties and ball protection go, and we still had a great chance to finish them off. The fans need to get behind this team because we have a legit chance to win every game on our schedule. Obviously Bama is the least likely at this point, but that's why they play the games.

WarPig88

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: bigred223 on September 30, 2014, 03:02:46 pm
He's going to get his, we just can't allow him to have a record day. The dline really needs to do a good job of stuffing the run and putting Bama in long third downs so that we have the opportunity to bring pressure and disrupt their timing.

I know we are all bummed about the way the A&M game ended, but I don't know how anyone could watch that game and think that we don't have a very solid team. We have a punchers chance against Bama if we clean up the errors we had against A&M. Let's face it we had our worst day as far as penalties and ball protection go, and we still had a great chance to finish them off. The fans need to get behind this team because we have a legit chance to win every game on our schedule. Obviously Bama is the least likely at this point, but that's why they play the games.

Bigred, Hogs only had one turn over. I suspect Bama causes more than one turn over against our Hogs.

PoormansRobbyHampton

Hogsmo Kramer

Hogville = The Nexus of the Universe!!!!!

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: WarPig88 on September 30, 2014, 03:07:43 pm
Call Tonya Harding.

She is probably available for hire. I suspect some Ole Piss player will pull a cheap shot on him.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on September 30, 2014, 02:34:27 pm
He looks like the best WR in the nation this year. He can block also. How do you contain/stop him?

Pray he catches a stomach virus and can not play.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

BatesvilleHOG

Rotate Mitchell and Toliver at the corner opposite him and bring Liddell and Gaines in to help over the top.

Lets just hope Gaines wears cleats against BAMA and not turf shoes. We cant afford to have any defenders falling down trying to guard the nations top receiver.

zane

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 30, 2014, 03:37:20 pm
Pray he catches a stomach virus and can not play.

Hahaha

BINGO!

Cooper is the real deal
RIP LSUfan

bigred223

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on September 30, 2014, 03:08:36 pm
Bigred, Hogs only had one turn over. I suspect Bama causes more than one turn over against our Hogs.

By that I mean we fumled two snaps and a pitch play. We only lost one, but it could have been worse had we not recovered the other two. I'm not so sure that Bama will force more than one turnover if we avoid silliness like that. Say what you want about Brandon Allen (not you specifically) but he is doing a great job of taking care of the ball in passing situations. Bama's defense is not an unstoppable force this year. That was very clear during the West Virginia game. I know they made Driskel look terrible, but in reality, Driskel is just not very good. Never has been and never will be.

thirrdegreetusker

Carl Spackler (Caddyshack):

If he bothers you, I'll take care of him. What you've got to do is cut the hamstring on the back of his leg right at the bottom. He'll never play golf again, because his weight displacement goes back, all his weight is on his right foot, and he'll push everything off to the right. He'll never come through on anything. He'll quit the game.

PORKULATOR

Every Spread teams best wr is usually holding when given credit for their blocking prowess. We just play our game. TRY AND NOT get beat deep, and maybe we'll get a call on him.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

ballz2thewall

i figure we try and interrupt him off the LOS as much as possible.  problem is, i don't know if any of our db's are instinctive like that [think chris houston]. 
The rest of the frog.

Hogarusa

Ask him if his Sugar Bowl game worn jersey is for sale.  If he says no, up the price until he says yes.  Then report him
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

Youngsta71701

Have the corner bumping him at the line of scrimmage and have our fastest safety over the top of him.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Jamie Jones

Get after Sims and make him at least have to scramble. He has a little bit of a banged up shoulder. If he escapes Ole Miss, we need to pressure him. Also take away the slant. Sims throws the inside route better than the pass that he has to be more perfect with down the sideline. Cooper is the real deal...Sims isn't.
I'm a Hog fan. I never chant S-E-C! I hate all the other members.

Spikes

Quote from: HF#1 on September 30, 2014, 02:42:33 pm
Pass Interference?

Let's do Illegal contact, its only cost us 5 yrds per penalty :)
You only have one life, so you better enjoy it!

Snouty

ricepig

SPAL

Torn ACL, allegations of rape or woman beating, swine flu, being lost at sea, a Breaking Bad marathon, 100 virgins and an act of God is all that will slow him down, and even then, we probably let him score.

HamIAm

Kryptonite, bad hot dogs, or a lights out defensive effort.

cubsfan5150

Put a safety over the top, jam him at the line, and get pressure on the QB without blitzing.
QuoteWest Side Rooter wrote:

Always best to talk [expletive] about a team when you don't have to face them again.

I'd do the same. LaRussa's a nutjob and would probably throw at his head.
ETA: A bottle of wine, not a baseball.
ETA: Empty bottle, obviously.

sowmonella

Quote from: LA Football fan on September 30, 2014, 02:44:09 pm
You hit the qb before he throws the ball.  Only way to stop him.

Nailed it. ^^^^^^^^^^^
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: Spikes on September 30, 2014, 05:10:01 pm
Let's do Illegal contact, its only cost us 5 yrds per penalty :)

Not a bad idea at all

Ragnar Hogbrok

Have a hot co-ed seduce him...but infect the hot co-ed with ebola first........Human bioweapon.

What?  Too soon?
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

Hoggish1

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on September 30, 2014, 05:39:37 pm
Torn ACL, allegations of rape or woman beating, swine flu, being lost at sea, a Breaking Bad marathon, 100 virgins and an act of God is all that will slow him down, and even then, we probably let him score.

You missed Ebola...

TheRazorbackGuy

PonderinHog

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on September 30, 2014, 02:34:27 pm
. How do you contain/stop him?

Put Cooper's picture up on the Pig Screen while Arkansas is on offense and then have Brandon "Dead Eye" Allen drill him with a pass while he isn't looking.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: Locutus_of_Boar on September 30, 2014, 10:30:24 pm
Put Cooper's picture up on the Pig Screen while Arkansas is on offense and then have Brandon "Dead Eye" Allen drill him with a pass while he isn't looking.

He did it to one of our WRs last wk so why not... +1 for creative response.... if I could

Johnboy

It's gonna be a long day I am afraid.  If you do double up on him and stop him (doubtful anyway) you will open it up for some of the other stud receivers that they have. 

Boardon Hamsay

While it might seem a bit unorthodox, I think you have to go chloroform here (see below). If our DBs can use this technique subtly, we should be okay and avoid a few flags.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Scarlett Johansson's Liberally and Amply Slathered Frito Pie on October 01, 2014, 09:15:09 am
While it might seem a bit unorthodox, I think you have to go chloroform here (see below). If our DBs can use this technique subtly, we should be okay and avoid a few flags.

Classic. +1