Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Today's PC Bielema

Started by ricepig, September 30, 2014, 12:49:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Helmet Hog

Quote from: Piggfoot on September 30, 2014, 02:07:10 pm
from Coach B's comments

Coach B: On Brey Cook's penalty, he was not involved in any way, shape or form. Standing over a guy that got knocked down by somebody else

The refs were looking for reasons to throw a flag.

BorderPatrol

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on September 30, 2014, 02:08:46 pm
Yes it was a cheap call and no make up call came after.

You don't see that as a problem? Especially after the ref has warned both teams to tone it down?

bp

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: The_Iceman on September 30, 2014, 01:10:44 pm
@khairopoulos

A&M DC said in 4Q Aggie defensive players were calling out Ark's plays. Awareness grew during game.

Until Baby Kif arrived in Tuscaloosaevery DC in the SEC could say the same of Alabama's offense.  As CBB noted on his show Sunday night it's about execution and depth, surprise not so much.

This week CBB is working on the depth.  Next week the team will work on the execution.

WarPig88

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 30, 2014, 01:12:19 pm
Arkansas is badly depleted at WR.

You wouldn't want to hear this, but Petrino would have these guys looking like a top notch unit.

There is talent there. Whether it is all SEC or not is in question, but we are not depleted.

hogsanity

Quote from: Bebop on September 30, 2014, 01:30:30 pm
I'm not buying it, sorry. I get that we may not have world beaters as WRs, but they are not as bad as everyone makes them out to be. Our TEs are good and the rest at the very least are serviceable, if not good.

Do the Hogs have one WR right now that can just line up and beat a CB on a go route or a post?  They can't even get open for a quick slant or out. Even the ball Edwards caught Sat had to be perfectly laid in by BA because he couldn't get any separation.  They either need a burner or a guy that can muscle himself open. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: hogsanity on September 30, 2014, 02:27:36 pm
Do the Hogs have one WR right now that can just line up and beat a CB on a go route or a post?  They can't even get open for a quick slant or out. Even the ball Edwards caught Sat had to be perfectly laid in by BA because he couldn't get any separation.  They either need a burner or a guy that can muscle himself open. 

Hogsanity, BA sure looks good this year.

BorderPatrol

Quote from: WarPig88 on September 30, 2014, 02:26:55 pm
You wouldn't want to hear this, but Petrino would have these guys looking like a top notch unit.

There is talent there. Whether it is all SEC or not is in question, but we are not depleted.

And aTm would have scored 70 against Petrino's defense.

bp

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: BorderPatrol on September 30, 2014, 02:29:11 pm

bp

BP, This is 100% correct +1000 if I could

hogsanity

Quote from: BorderPatrol on September 30, 2014, 02:11:28 pm
You don't see that as a problem? Especially after the ref has warned both teams to tone it down?

bp

Some of these guys don't think Skipper actually tripped anyone either.  They have a little league parents mentality, everything that goes against their team is the refs fault, always.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hogsanity

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on September 30, 2014, 02:28:55 pm
Hogsanity, BA sure looks good this year.

He looks like what a play action style QB should look like. Don't make mistakes, handles the ball well ( that fake on the Derby TD was excellent ), getting rid of the ball instead of trying to be a hero or taking a sack.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: hogsanity on September 30, 2014, 02:34:21 pm
He looks like what a play action style QB should look like. Don't make mistakes, handles the ball well ( that fake on the Derby TD was excellent ), getting rid of the ball instead of trying to be a hero or taking a sack.
Hogsanity, he didn't have this much velocity on his ball last year. I love his touch passes too.

hogsanity

Nice deflection, bring up BP for no reason at all.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: hogsanity on September 30, 2014, 02:36:01 pm
Nice deflection, bring up BP for no reason at all.

Lots of Petrino Fan Boys still around...

hogsanity

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on September 30, 2014, 02:35:45 pm
Hogsanity, he didn't have this much velocity on his ball last year. I love his touch passes too.

As someone who has been dealing with a shoulder injury since late July, I can't imagine how he even functioned last year, much less threw as well as he did ( given the circumstances ).

Fort Dweller

Quote from: ricepig on September 30, 2014, 01:50:35 pm
Stewart will more than likely redshirt, needs to see Herb.

I'm meant in the long haul.  More speed.
Quote from: Fatty McGee on June 03, 2012, 09:43:59 pmRabid gay rampage?  That's quite a phrase.  I picture rundown neighborhoods being gentrified by angry, fit, childless, and well dressed mobs.
Quote from: sharpd1 on September 23, 2012, 08:33:21 pmSome of the people posting on here aren't good at brain stuff.
Quote from: PonderinHog on June 26, 2013, 11:15:49 pm
What if he chews a Poptart into the shape of two men holding hands - or worse?
Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 19, 2015, 10:09:07 am
Did you really click on the "report to moderator" button.  And not only that but do it on yourself? 

BrianWPS!!

Quote from: navyhog24 on September 30, 2014, 01:57:28 pm
I wonder if they've been going "Crazy"

Perhaps they have been "all their life"  ;)

Ok sorry that was dumb

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: hogsanity on September 30, 2014, 02:39:14 pm
As someone who has been dealing with a shoulder injury since late July, I can't imagine how he even functioned last year, much less threw as well as he did ( given the circumstances ).

Hogsanity, if one player got hurt that hurts the team the most I would say losing BA effects Wins and Losses more.

hogsanity

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on September 30, 2014, 02:42:03 pm
Hogsanity, if one player got hurt that hurts the team the most I would say losing BA effects Wins and Losses more.

Oh there is no doubt about that.  That may also be a reason they have not tried more deep balls.  Deep throws take more time, more time is more chance he is going to get hit.

HF#1

Who?
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Bebop

His Louisville team looks rough. They are having problems with their Oline and QB position. The defense (ironically) has kept them in their games.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: hogsanity on September 30, 2014, 03:01:15 pm
Oh there is no doubt about that.  That may also be a reason they have not tried more deep balls.  Deep throws take more time, more time is more chance he is going to get hit.

This

hogsanity

Quote from: Bebop on September 30, 2014, 03:04:00 pm

The defense (ironically) has kept them in their games.

Because it was recruited by Charlie Strong.

TheRazorbackGuy

His Louisville team looks rough. They are having problems with their Oline and QB position. The defense (ironically) has kept them in their games.

That's cause Charlie Strong recruited hoards of defensive talent. Petrino never had that type of defensive talent since his days withArthur Blank's franchise at the Georgia Dome.

Oklahawg

Our WRs are physically solid but are not quick. Fast? Maybe, but not quick, save for Cornelius. Hatcher is straight-line fast, but not quick. When I say that I am referring to shiftiness and the ability to cut/break efficiently.

We can block and we can catch. We can run disciplined routes. We cannot run away from people (or, not many of our WR can) and we cannot create separation with any integrity to the route and timing. That is rather critical. We are having to find a receiver in space which is hard to do when you've shown every look in the first 2.5 quarters of the game.

The predictability is because UA was not going to risk anything. Win your way, or not, but do it your way. Hammer the opposition into summission = CBB Way. If we had made ONE completion vs the Ags defense they would not have mentioned predictability.

Curious if the JoJo RS comes off this week. Need another body, and he has legit skills to help...if he has grown them to the college level.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: Oklahawg on September 30, 2014, 03:28:44 pm
Our WRs are physically solid but are not quick. Fast? Maybe, but not quick, save for Cornelius. Hatcher is straight-line fast, but not quick. When I say that I am referring to shiftiness and the ability to cut/break efficiently.

We can block and we can catch. We can run disciplined routes. We cannot run away from people (or, not many of our WR can) and we cannot create separation with any integrity to the route and timing. That is rather critical. We are having to find a receiver in space which is hard to do when you've shown every look in the first 2.5 quarters of the game.

The predictability is because UA was not going to risk anything. Win your way, or not, but do it your way. Hammer the opposition into summission = CBB Way. If we had made ONE completion vs the Ags defense they would not have mentioned predictability.

Curious if the JoJo RS comes off this week. Need another body, and he has legit skills to help...if he has grown them to the college level.

Oklahawg, Great Post and I Agree with most of your notions. +1 if I could!

hogsanity

My question on anyone that is RS: Is taking the RS off at this point going to realistically help the Hogs win more games than they likely would without them playing? 

I always thought this was a 6, maybe 7, win team, Does Jojo make it a 7, maybe 8 win team? He did not play in the 1st two games, when healthy, then he got hurt. With Wilson coming back, and Cornelius, Edwards and Morgan and Hollister available, I am not sure he is going to help that much, as a TR FR, having not played in the 1st 5 games.

Wildhog

good post
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Oklahawg

Quote from: hogsanity on September 30, 2014, 03:41:19 pm
My question on anyone that is RS: Is taking the RS off at this point going to realistically help the Hogs win more games than they likely would without them playing? 

I always thought this was a 6, maybe 7, win team, Does Jojo make it a 7, maybe 8 win team? He did not play in the 1st two games, when healthy, then he got hurt. With Wilson coming back, and Cornelius, Edwards and Morgan and Hollister available, I am not sure he is going to help that much, as a TR FR, having not played in the 1st 5 games.

I think it is a great question, too. What I take from the mix is this: Hatcher, Cornelius, Morgan, Edwards and Hollister were not enough. Is Wilson "enough"? Or, are we needing to diversify even more the WR work?  The summer camp talk of Drew Morgan has subsided for whatever reason. Is it time to revisit or was CBB simply pushing buttons of Morgan and Hatcher (I guessing button-pushing)?

JoJo is not the type of WR who likely helps vs Bama. Bama mauls WRs and every ref seems to think this is how the game works. Maybe we need Jefferson to trot out on a pass route and lower the boom on a safety or CB. Greg Childs was the only WR I recall who was physical enough to fight off Bama, and he was rewarded by getting hurt in 2010, IIRC.

Do you find 2 wins in Mizzou, OM and MS State, and hope for one more from there or LSU and UGA? 7-5, assuming a rent-a-win vs UAB. If you venture into the glowingly optimistic territory of 8-4 suddenly the RS goes away. You are getting close to FL bowl game territory with 8-4 and that takes JoJo back "home".
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

hawgon

Quote from: hogsanity on September 30, 2014, 03:41:19 pm

Uh, I think you are selling this team short.  If A&M really is the 6th ranked team, this team is a potential nine win team.  It could have even been better than that had we beaten A&M.  Still, if we get the breaks, make a few better decisions, and avoid the occasional bone headed play call, we could go 5-3 in conference.  And yeah, the difference between a 8 win team and a 6 or 7 win team is huge.

If we win six, we probably start next year ranked.  If we win 8, we'll start next year ranked in the Top 15 and could find ourselves in the Top 10 in short order.

If recruiting is going as well as we are told, there is no reason to try and save talent if we think a kid could help us now. 

hogsanity

Quote from: Oklahawg on September 30, 2014, 03:50:19 pm
I think it is a great question, too. What I take from the mix is this: Hatcher, Cornelius, Morgan, Edwards and Hollister were not enough. Is Wilson "enough"? Or, are we needing to diversify even more the WR work?  The summer camp talk of Drew Morgan has subsided for whatever reason. Is it time to revisit or was CBB simply pushing buttons of Morgan and Hatcher (I guessing button-pushing)?

JoJo is not the type of WR who likely helps vs Bama. Bama mauls WRs and every ref seems to think this is how the game works. Maybe we need Jefferson to trot out on a pass route and lower the boom on a safety or CB. Greg Childs was the only WR I recall who was physical enough to fight off Bama, and he was rewarded by getting hurt in 2010, IIRC.

Do you find 2 wins in Mizzou, OM and MS State, and hope for one more from there or LSU and UGA? 7-5, assuming a rent-a-win vs UAB. If you venture into the glowingly optimistic territory of 8-4 suddenly the RS goes away. You are getting close to FL bowl game territory with 8-4 and that takes JoJo back "home".

Childs got hurt getting tackled from behind, clean play, in garbage time in a game the Hogs had long had well in hand, but I digress.

I always thought to get to 6-6 the hogs would go 4-0 in ooc, then split with the miss schools, and with uga/mizzu.  LSu is the one I cant get a read on at all. They are not overly scary through the air, but they have the depth to run over hogs and to not get run over by the hogs.

old misses - Wallace makes enough stupid decisions during a game that the Hogs D is good enough to make him pay.  I think they picked him twice last year.

MSU - still not sold on them. And, by the time the Hogs get them they could have 2 or 3 losses and be playing out the string.

uga - typical uga team, and they typically lose a game they shouldn't.

mizzu - they had "it" last year.  They do not have "it" this year. You lose to Indiana and you are very beatable. 

hogsanity

Quote from: hawgon on September 30, 2014, 03:56:59 pm
Uh, I think you are selling this team short.  If A&M really is the 6th ranked team, this team is a potential nine win team.  I

Ok, if they are potential 9 win team, based on the 1st 5 games, they did all that impressed you without any of the guys that are red shirtting, so why pull those now? Thats what the staff has to weigh, can any of these guys, within the game plan, provide enough of a difference in several games, not just one, to justify using a year of eligibility.

hawgon

Quote from: hogsanity on September 30, 2014, 04:08:50 pm
Ok, if they are potential 9 win team, based on the 1st 5 games, they did all that impressed you without any of the guys that are red shirtting, so why pull those now? Thats what the staff has to weigh, can any of these guys, within the game plan, provide enough of a difference in several games, not just one, to justify using a year of eligibility.

One field goal, wins that game.  We have a highly rated field goal kicker redshirting.  One more completed pass past the sticks gets us a first down that allows us to run out the clock.

So, yeah, if you think there is ONE play those guys who are redshirting might make that the current guys won't, then you pull the redshirts.  Don't be a five or six win team because of a handful of plays knowing that you had potentially better players redshirting.  Play to win with your best players.

Spikes

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on September 30, 2014, 03:11:01 pm
That's cause Charlie Strong recruited hoards of defensive talent. Petrino never had that type of defensive talent since his days withArthur Blank's franchise at the Georgia Dome.

How would we look if our QB was out, 1 of our RB, 1st RD Draft Pick at WR and LT was out.  His O may have struggled last week, but they won.  CBP and his team always find/found ways to win.  Our team lack the killer instinct and the taste of winning.  We all bought into winning and the taste of success, we had that taste Saturday, but we once again lost it. 
You only have one life, so you better enjoy it!

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: BorderPatrol on September 30, 2014, 02:29:11 pm

bp

Damn, dude, don't hurt the man so bad!
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

hogsanity

Quote from: Spikes on September 30, 2014, 04:12:09 pm

CBP and his team always find/found ways to win.   

Virgina says hello

Spikes

Bebop

Quote from: Spikes on September 30, 2014, 04:12:09 pm

How would we look if our QB was out, 1 of our RB, 1st RD Draft Pick at WR and LT was out.  His O may have struggled last week, but they won.  CBP and his team always find/found ways to win.  Our team lack the killer instinct and the taste of winning.  We all bought into winning and the taste of success, we had that taste Saturday, but we once again lost it.

I get what you are saying but if Petrino is such a super-coach as some people would lead us to believe, then we would "coach them up" and have them playing beyond their capability. The fact of the matter is that his team has struggled and the defense has helped more to win than the offense. The only thing noteworthy on the offense has been their running game.

hogsanity

Quote from: Spikes on September 30, 2014, 04:24:15 pm
??

You said CBP's teams ALWAYS find a way to win. I don't think they beat VA this year.  Bama sends their regards as well from 08-11.

snoblind

Quote from: Bebop on September 30, 2014, 01:16:22 pm
We became predictable?

Do you go to games?  Something I've noticed at Fayetteville is trainers holding up towels to block the folks signaling into the players from the press box.  The down side to all the high tech stuff it is easier to break down tendencies and everything else than it ever has been.

hogsanity

Quote from: hawgon on September 30, 2014, 04:12:08 pm
One field goal, wins that game.  We have a highly rated field goal kicker redshirting.  One more completed pass past the sticks gets us a first down that allows us to run out the clock.

So, yeah, if you think there is ONE play those guys who are redshirting might make that the current guys won't, then you pull the redshirts.  Don't be a five or six win team because of a handful of plays knowing that you had potentially better players redshirting.  Play to win with your best players.

That's the call the staff has to make.  Are any of the RS better, RIGHT NOW, than the players currently playing most of the snaps.

hawgon

Quote from: hogsanity on September 30, 2014, 04:32:40 pm
That's the call the staff has to make.  Are any of the RS better, RIGHT NOW, than the players currently playing most of the snaps.

I don't know that and you don't know that but if there are, they should play.

Spikes

Quote from: hogsanity on September 30, 2014, 04:27:05 pm
You said CBP's teams ALWAYS find a way to win. I don't think they beat VA this year.  Bama sends their regards as well from 08-11.

True. Very true.. But ...Would rather be winning 9-10 games a yr, ranked in the top 10-15, then winning 3 games a yr and  looking at 0-16 in the sec heading into the Miss St game..

Spikes

Quote from: Bebop on September 30, 2014, 04:26:04 pm
I get what you are saying but if Petrino is such a super-coach as some people would lead us to believe, then we would "coach them up" and have them playing beyond their capability. The fact of the matter is that his team has struggled and the defense has helped more to win than the offense. The only thing noteworthy on the offense has been their running game.

Would say getting a W is coaching them up.. W are greater than L..

HF#1

Quote from: Spikes on September 30, 2014, 04:37:53 pm
True. Very true.. But ...Would rather be winning 9-10 games a yr, ranked in the top 10-15, then winning 3 games a yr and  looking at 0-16 in the sec heading into the Miss St game..

We would NOT be doing that had Petrino stayed.  Not with his crappy recruiting.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: hawgon on September 30, 2014, 04:34:14 pm

Not sure it's that simple.

Is there really a big difference in the long haul playing in Shreveport or playing in Nashville?

I think CBB's stance at this point might be the wisest from a long term perspective.

Where we'll be in two-three-four years is going to (hopefully) be MUCH different from where we are now.  IF that is the case, then might those players make the difference in winning an SECC? 

That's the other side of that decision.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

ricepig

Quote from: hawgon on September 30, 2014, 04:34:14 pm

I'll agree with that, and Bielema said in his PC that Henson had been killing it in practice, but these last two games showed different. He's opening up his FG competition this week and early next week. I don't think anyone else that is redecorating would take away snaps from others, possibly JoJo, but Cornelius seems capable.

hawgon

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on September 30, 2014, 04:39:55 pm

Is there really a big difference in the long haul playing in Shreveport or playing in Nashville?

I think CBB's stance at this point might be the wisest from a long term perspective.

Where we'll be in two-three-four years is going to (hopefully) be MUCH different from where we are now.  IF that is the case, then might those players make the difference in winning an SECC? 

Then he needs to wake up because we are ahead of schedule.  Win now.  Let three years from now sort itself out.  You never know what can happen, you can only control the here and now.

And besides, how do you think Ole Miss is in the Top 10?  They started out ranked is how.  That is what one or two extra wins does for you.  It creates buzz and excitement.  Which result in increased exposure and better recruiting.  Which result in more wins.  Which create buzz and excitement....and so on.

hogsanity

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on September 30, 2014, 04:39:55 pm

Exactly my point. for this team a bowl is a bowl. Extra practices, a little extra exposure, a trip for the players.  But, is having some of these guys around as RS JRs and SRs worth more than having them play in a year that realistically is going to end up in a lower tier bowl, regardless, worth it?

Wildhog

We're going to beat Ole Miss and Mizzou, and split LSU/UGA.  It's gone happen.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Spikes

Quote from: HF#1 on September 30, 2014, 04:39:47 pm
We would NOT be doing that had Petrino stayed.  Not with his crappy recruiting.

Yep.. You're so right.. SMH