Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Not allowing tickets to be sold outside Razorback stadium

Started by cmhogn, September 30, 2014, 11:42:32 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

BorderPatrol

Quote from: Surfing8 on September 30, 2014, 01:18:24 pm
I bet when I fly in from CA without a ticket I deserve to REALLY be disappointed.

Who said anything about CA? That's just taking it to another level of stupid.

bp

HognotinMemphis

I scalped my tickets, back when I could, on stubhub. Rose-colored lens wearing Hog fans would always pay more than face, especially for big games like Bama!  ;D
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

PorkRyan

This has nothing to do with scalping and everything to do with trying to force people to buy tickets through the UA.  It is illegal to buy or sell tickets in Arlington on the streets.  Doesn't matter the cost of the ticket, it is a $500 fine if caught. 

ricepig

Quote from: BorderPatrol on September 30, 2014, 01:21:04 pm
Who said anything about CA? That's just taking it to another level of stupid.

bp

I only remember 1 or 2 games where there weren't any tickets to be found, Bama in 2010 and USC in 2006. I'm sure there were, I just didn't see any obvious tickets in the air.

texas tush hog

Quote from: Surfing8 on September 30, 2014, 01:09:53 pm
I haven't seen anything that pertains to a certain distance from the venue for Arkansas law, though I have found that mentioned for other states (200ft as an example).

http://law.justia.com/codes/arkansas/2010/title-5/subtitle-6/chapter-63/subchapter-2/5-63-201

In fact I see nothing wrong as long as the ticket sale is for no more than stated value:

http://www.theticketbrokerguide.com/ticket-resale-laws-by-state-province/

Yea, I checked the statute after my last post and only found it was unlawful to sell above face value in Arkansas. Texas has a distance from the venue section but did not find it in Arkansas. Must be a Jeffie thing.

arky37

This will be a big problem come basketball season. I usually dump 8-10 tix a game. At the end of the year it's easily a couple grand I get back on my investment. I can pretty much guarantee that this decision was made by our new Senior Assoc AD Chris Freet. The guy is a serious ticket nazi with zero business sense.

The Marmot

Quote from: HoginMemphis on September 30, 2014, 01:21:45 pm
I scalped my tickets, back when I could, on stubhub. Rose-colored lens wearing Hog fans would always pay more than face, especially for big games like Bama!  ;D

Whatever keeps you away from the game is good with me.
I was booooorn to love you... I was booooorn to lick your face... I was booooorn to rub you... but you were born to rub me first - Ty Webb

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 28, 2014, 06:59:50 pm
The fact that you can type the words doesn't stop the thought behind those words from being horseshit.

GO HOGS!!!!!!!

BorderPatrol

Quote from: ricepig on September 30, 2014, 01:23:34 pm
I only remember 1 or 2 games where there weren't any tickets to be found, Bama in 2010 and USC in 2006. I'm sure there were, I just didn't see any obvious tickets in the air.

Yeah, those USC tickets were VERY hard to come by. My nephew made the mistake of waiting until the last minute (well, week) to look for tickets.

He never found any that he could afford.

bp

BorderPatrol

Quote from: Surfing8 on September 30, 2014, 01:28:43 pm
Just so I understand Mr. BorderPatrol logic:

Go to RRS from Little Rock w/out ticket = stupid

Go to RRS from CA w/out ticket = whole 'nother level of stupid

Got it.

Get invited to parties much?

Now what the hell are you talking about? You are the one that brought up CA.

bp

texas tush hog

Quote from: Surfing8 on September 30, 2014, 01:09:53 pm
I haven't seen anything that pertains to a certain distance from the venue for Arkansas law, though I have found that mentioned for other states (200ft as an example).

http://law.justia.com/codes/arkansas/2010/title-5/subtitle-6/chapter-63/subchapter-2/5-63-201

In fact I see nothing wrong as long as the ticket sale is for no more than stated value:

http://www.theticketbrokerguide.com/ticket-resale-laws-by-state-province/

Is nothing sacred now, Ticketmaster, could Stubhub be far behind.

http://consumerist.com/2012/05/24/arkansas-court-tells-ticketmaster-it-is-bound-by-anti-scalping-laws/

Hogarusa

there are still 12 days until the game.  Stubhub utilizes a scaling price (optional) that lowers the price the closer you get to the event. I'm sure other websites do as well but i am loyal to stubhub.  Lots of tickets are instant downloads.  Same logic applies online as in person.  Either people lower the price or they take a complete loss.
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

TheGreatHogsby

Quote from: Hogarusa on September 30, 2014, 01:43:12 pm
there are still 12 days until the game.  Stubhub utilizes a scaling price (optional) that lowers the price the closer you get to the event. I'm sure other websites do as well but i am loyal to stubhub.  Lots of tickets are instant downloads.  Same logic applies online as in person.  Either people lower the price or they take a complete loss.
11 Days actually.

code red

Quote from: cmhogn on September 30, 2014, 11:42:32 am
At the N. Illinois game I was looking for a couple tickets in front of the stadium 2 fingers up etc. A University policeman told me I could not look for tickets at the stadium. I asked why because I have done this for years and was told new policy. I also saw University police tell people who were obviously not trying to scalp to put their tickets down. Some were even being a tad rude to the fans trying to unload their tickets. I heard a policman hollering at a 60+ year old man with his wife.

I understand why they are trying to crack down on ticket scalping. My deal is it's ashame that a few a holes ruin it for everyone. You would think the U of A would rather have a butt in a seat than to turn people away. This is not pro sports. I understand places like Jerry World policing this stuff because its big business but we are talking about hard working Arkansans who are simply trying to unload their tickets. Tired of cracking down on things only because of a few people being illegal.
The reason for that is the foundation....making folks pay into the foundations is killing ticket sells in the 500s.  Since the foundation made everyone pay.....my tickets sell on ebay for face or better.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

ricepig

Quote from: code red on September 30, 2014, 01:46:24 pm
The reason for that is the foundation....making folks pay into the foundations is killing ticket sells in the 500s.  Since the foundation made everyone pay.....my tickets sell on ebay for face or better.

Plenty of season tickets for sell this fall without a donation, even $25/ticket for the non-cons.

hogsanity

Quote from: arky37 on September 30, 2014, 01:27:23 pm
This will be a big problem come basketball season. I usually dump 8-10 tix a game.

Ok, I have to ask, why do you have that many unused tickets for every game?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

arky37

I only do for nonconference. My company has 20 plus a box and the early games are hard to give away. My employees are all pretty spoiled.

code red

Quote from: ricepig on September 30, 2014, 01:48:08 pm
Plenty of season tickets for sell this fall without a donation, even $25/ticket for the non-cons.
Exactly looks like it backfiring but....lots of 500 foundation members are prob not happy.  You can practically get em for nothing.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

twistitup

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

TheRazorbackGuy

MissippHog

Just so I'm not misunderstanding this......tickets are available at the box office but you are upset because they won't let you buy a ticket from someone else standing outside of the stadium?  When you could walk a couple of hundred feet and buy them from the school?

Wildhog

Quote from: MissippHog on September 30, 2014, 02:09:30 pm
Just so I'm not misunderstanding this......tickets are available at the box office but you are upset because they won't let you buy a ticket from someone else standing outside of the stadium?  When you could walk a couple of hundred feet and buy them from the school?

You can't if it's sold out.  Believe it or not, that HAS happened before.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Dark Helmet Hog

You might be able to get a decent ticket for well below face value. Person selling gets some of their money back for tickets they don't need. Person buying gets a deal they may not be able to afford otherwise. Win. Win.

If a person can't afford face value buying from the ticket office, they won't go. Either way it's less money that can be spent on concessions. Lose. Lose.

BorderPatrol

Quote from: Dark Helmet Hog on September 30, 2014, 02:14:35 pm
You might be able to get a decent ticket for well below face value. Person selling gets some of their money back for tickets they don't need. Person buying gets a deal they may not be able to afford otherwise. Win. Win.

If a person can't afford face value buying from the ticket office, they won't go. Either way it's less money that can be spent on concessions. Lose. Lose.

I don't get this....if you can't afford to buy a ticket, don't go. We all have to live within our means.

Attending Razorback football games are a privilege, not a right.

bp

Dark Helmet Hog

Quote from: BorderPatrol on September 30, 2014, 02:18:00 pm
I don't get this....if you can't afford to buy a ticket, don't go. We all have to live within our means.

Attending Razorback football games are a privilege, not a right.

bp

I am having a hard time understanding why you think this. I know people on low incomes that like to attend games. They save their money to do it.

Just because they are looking to get the most for their money does not mean they are living above their means. It actually means they understand how to prioritize and budget. In fact, going to those games means a lot more to the kids in those families than most realize. Privilege not a right? Really? How about just doing the right thing for someone? That kid might just be a future 5 star athlete too. 

FBREW000

I will never understand why we as Americans attempt to control the market on much of anything.

If the product allows it to be sold at a market price, let it be.

Great seasons, make a few bucks.. Horrible seasons, lose a few bucks.  Even Steven.

If I own tickets, and they are mine.  I will do what I want to with them.   use them, sell them, blow my nose with them.  Seriously?

ricepig

Quote from: code red on September 30, 2014, 02:01:59 pm
Exactly looks like it backfiring but....lots of 500 foundation members are prob not happy.  You can practically get em for nothing.

I personally don't think there should be a donation requirement on upper deck outside the chairbacks up there. When demand out does supply, put it back on.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Surfing8 on September 30, 2014, 01:18:24 pm
I bet when I fly in from CA without a ticket I deserve to REALLY be disappointed.

If you fly in all the way from California WITHOUT having a ticket in advance then you are not very smart......................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: FBREW000 on September 30, 2014, 02:32:13 pm
I will never understand why we as Americans attempt to control the market on much of anything.

I'll remember that the next time your electricity goes out for days and I'm the only one willing to sell you a generator!

P.S. Make sure you have a LOT of cash!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Josh Goforth

Quote from: FBREW000 on September 30, 2014, 02:32:13 pm

Great seasons, make a few bucks.. Horrible seasons, lose a few bucks.  Even Steven.

If I own tickets, and they are mine.  I will do what I want to with them.   use them, sell them, blow my nose with them.  Seriously?
I think the issue is selling right in front of the stadium. You are welcome to go down the street to a private business or parking lot and sell them for face value according to state law, or below. To me its the same as someone who make a bunch of hog merch or other stuff and wants to sell it on UofA grounds during a game, not going to go over well. Want to buy a ticket just walk a couple hundred yards either direction, the two games I went to this year there were a ton of them being bought and sold up and down Razorback Rd.

Piggfoot

Many time those at the box office are in the nosebleed section or you have to have a periscope. Those bought outside the stadium are many times premium seats. Especially for the no name games
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

hogsanity

Quote from: Dark Helmet Hog on September 30, 2014, 02:25:58 pm
I am having a hard time understanding why you think this. I know people on low incomes that like to attend games. They save their money to do it.

Just because they are looking to get the most for their money does not mean they are living above their means. It actually means they understand how to prioritize and budget. In fact, going to those games means a lot more to the kids in those families than most realize. Privilege not a right? Really? How about just doing the right thing for someone? That kid might just be a future 5 star athlete too. 

I have the means to buy season tickets, or do about 15 other things with the family, so we don't get season tickets. So, when one of my kids says hey lets go to the game and we budget X amount to go, I can buy tickets around the stadium usually for about half of face, and then go eat a nice meal either before or after the game.  So, if I have to buy from the box office, it is going to be eat before we go, then eat at home when we get back.   
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

jkstock04

Quote from: Hogarusa on September 30, 2014, 12:36:26 pm
You know, sites like stubhub and the dozens more like it make all of this untrue.  You can go on one of the sites the day of the event, buy your ticket, and have them in your hands by printing the tickets off.  Not sure if the University does it yet but i went to an OKC Thunder game last year, bought my tickets, and scanned my phone for entry. 

The day of scalping at the arena is an endangered activity.
So scalping online is ok? The convenience of stubhub may be nice, but last time I was on there (a few years back) the prices were outrageous.

Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

007 License To Squeal

Quote from: texas tush hog on September 30, 2014, 12:01:12 pm
Nope, it is technically against the law to buy or sell tickets within a certain distance from the venue at any price. It has been the law for several years now but seldom has it been enforced.Apparently Jeffie is having it enforced now. Don't you just love him.However the scalpers are not being affected. You might check the law to see what the area radius that is being enforced but out front is definitely a no no.

I think you're wrong.  The ONLY restrictions I've found is that a seller cannot sell a ticket for more than face value.  I can find nothing regarding distance from the stadium or campus.
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

EastexHawg

Quote from: texas tush hog on September 30, 2014, 12:01:12 pm
Apparently Jeffie is having it enforced now. Don't you just love him.

No, no I don't.  For the life of me I don't get the affection and loyalty so many of our fans have for him.

DeltaBoy

Sad I only had tickets before the game one time all the games I attended in LR during my UALR days.  everyone else we walked up an hour before the game and got a pair of tickets and went to the game.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Ex-Trumpet

UA can set a policy to not sell tickets on UA grounds.  Private property sales are legal as long as they are face value or less--and don't violate any rules (trespassing) that the private property owner sets.

Just like parking.  Private property owners can charge whatever the market will bear.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

hogsanity

Quote from: jkstock04 on September 30, 2014, 03:27:51 pm
So scalping online is ok? The convenience of stubhub may be nice, but last time I was on there (a few years back) the prices were outrageous.

depends on what event you want to attend. Want tickets on short notice to a really big game, it is no different than buying them outside the stadium.  Demand drives price. Want to go the UAb game? I bet there will be tickets on Stubhub for $10 by game week.

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

RazorbackRon

I think this is all a bunch of BS about nothing.  I have been to both of the home games this year and saw plenty of people selling tickets around the stadium and have not seen a LEO stop anyone.   There are thousands of people on the streets and a handful of cops.  This is not the big deal some of you are making this out to be.
Everyone is someone else's weirdo

This is the CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER...it is my responsibility to enforce all the laws that haven't been passed yet.

longtimeHogfan

Well this whole thread has been interesting.  Mrs. Longtime and I both commented on the number of 'fingers' we saw in the air and no tickets.  I thought....whoa....it's sold out and people are scrambling for tickets.  This would explain it. 
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

1highhog

Guys, this is no big deal, quit whining about it.  Put your tickets for sale in the ticket forum here on Hogville if you have some to sell or if you want to buy some do the same thing.  If you see others at the game trying to sell their tickets, tell them about Hogville and how easy Lanny has it set up for everyone to be able to buy and sell tickets on here.  It's easy to do and you don't have to worry about getting hassled with this new law.

I hope they put this law into effect to drive out the ticket hustlers that y'all have been talking about.

ballhogger14u

So far both home games I've seen guys buying and selling tickets from the sidewalk beside the track all the way to Baum stadium , no less than a half dozen of them each game hasn't stopped them

007 License To Squeal

Quote from: 1highhog on September 30, 2014, 06:21:18 pm
I hope they put this law into effect to drive out the ticket hustlers that y'all have been talking about.

The law which prohibits the sale of tickets for more than their face value is just wrong, in my opinion.  Why shouldn't the free market dictate the price of a ticket?
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

1highhog

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on September 30, 2014, 08:11:42 pm
Which begs to ask why we can't sell them above face on hogville but there is a thread posted in the tickets section promoting a website that does.

Good point.  Lanny, this is your site so you can do whatever you want to with it, but bigpigpimpin has a point.  You have it alon with you moderators to where no one can inflate the price on their tickets but yet you're personally asking hog fans to buy tickets from that site that does that very thing.  Kinda two faced to me.

jry04

Quote from: The Chief on September 30, 2014, 11:46:44 am
If that is indeed policy, then the UofA will lose revenue.  People who show up at the game and try to buy tickets won't show up anymore, and tickets will go unused, and sales at the stadium shops and concessions will suffer.

If it is policy, it is dumb unless there's something I'm not understanding.
Dramatic much?

The U of A will not lose that much revenue on people not being able to purchase tickets outside the stadium.

The Marmot

Quote from: RazorbackRon on September 30, 2014, 04:01:03 pm
I think this is all a bunch of BS about nothing.  I have been to both of the home games this year and saw plenty of people selling tickets around the stadium and have not seen a LEO stop anyone.   There are thousands of people on the streets and a handful of cops.  This is not the big deal some of you are making this out to be.

Quit raining on their pity parade.
I was booooorn to love you... I was booooorn to lick your face... I was booooorn to rub you... but you were born to rub me first - Ty Webb

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 28, 2014, 06:59:50 pm
The fact that you can type the words doesn't stop the thought behind those words from being horseshit.

GO HOGS!!!!!!!

aaronpjones21

Just wanted to be sure and point out that there appeared to be no policing of people selling tickets outside the stadium. Many were doing it...And I sold my extras right in front of gate 8, about 2 feet from the stadium without a problem.

Hogarusa

Same here, saw plenty of folks in front of the stadium and around the parking lot we tailgated in from 10 AM until walking into the game
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

Hog1966

I agree this would cause some to not be able to attend a game. That said, what about the effect on recruiting when there are less people in the stands, less noise? Would it make much difference, I dunno. But it should be a consideration.