Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sunny Side

Started by Oklahawg, September 30, 2014, 09:10:25 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Oklahawg

Thought I'd ask a question that doesn't have it's own thread yet (that I've seen).

Some acidity towards the kicker for (badly) missing a clinching FG.

Any thought that the sun was bothering him? I remember a few years ago Jarius Wright (?) dropped a wide-open pass because he was looking into the sun. Or am I dreaming that?

Sun looked serious, and a friend who isn't really a UA fan ragged me for being pissed at the kicker when this friend was talking about the sun. I know it sounds lame, but you look up to get your spot, go temporarily "blind" (see spots, something) and then have to kick a 44-yard FG? I can see it.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

MJ2

Quote from: Oklahawg on September 30, 2014, 09:10:25 am
Thought I'd ask a question that doesn't have it's own thread yet (that I've seen).

Any thought that the sun was bothering him? I remember a few years ago Jarius Wright (?) dropped a wide-open pass because he was looking into the sun. Or am I dreaming that?

Sun looked serious, and a friend who isn't really a UA fan ragged me for being pissed at the kicker when this friend was talking about the sun. I know it sounds lame, but you look up to get your spot, go temporarily "blind" (see spots, something) and then have to kick a 44-yard FG? I can see it.

Nah, he's just a kid and he missed the kick.   Lot of pressure to perform there.

Hollywood_HOGan45

I thought we definitley should have gone for that.

Your chances of making six yards is better than Henson making that kick under pressure.

Oh well,
The whole team just tightened up and melted down.

onebadrubi

I believe the kickers pick a lineman and aim for the top of his head after stepping off their alignment.  So if that's the case sun didn't matter. 

hoghearted

Seems like it would be tougher indoors. When you are outside, don't your eyes accommodate for the bright sun better than they would for abruptly changing from indoor light to a bright patch of sun?
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

GolfnHog

The sun has been a factor in several games at Jerry's World. As to the question asked, I'm not sure. I do know that when Dean was back for the last A&M punt he was starring directly up and into the sun from the west end of the stadium.

It bodes the question, what idiot thought it was a good idea to have glass panes on the west side of a stadium when the afternoon sun and setting sun will be shining through? Based on the overall size of Jerry World why wasn't it build so the field was facing N/S?
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

code red

It was pressure.  That FG was a 10 footer for any of us, on 18 for the club championship at our local golf course.  You got to be there in that situation a couple times before your going to drain that putt.  Same thing with this team.  I know I have been critical of this team.  But, the reality is we are 0 for our last 14 in SEC play.  We have to learn how to win and not hyperventilate when winning presents itself.  It will come.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

bphi11ips

September 30, 2014, 09:48:22 am #7 Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 04:53:35 pm by bphi11ips
Acidity?  Was Matt Hall acidic in the Dem Gaz today?  Some of you remind me more and more of Rick Shaeffer.  Almost everything I've seen here on John Henson is respectful and thoughtful.  There is also an obvious problem when an SEC  head coach says his placekicker's range is 42 yards.

Yes.  The sun may have been an issue, but I don't see Henson or Bielema using that as an excuse.  Watch this beginning at the 2:35 mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDlYFM6BOjU

Now watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDHE4zBydKY

The purpose is not to compare Henson to Hedlund, but to illustrate what happened at the point of impact.  Golfer's will appreciate this.  A golf swing and a "soccer style" kick have a lot in common.  A kicker and a golfer can purposefully cut or draw the ball.  Most play a draw.  The great ones can do either on demand.  Henson and Hedlund are both playing a draw.  A draw requires an inside out swing.  To hit a draw, one must stay down and through the shot.  Or the kick, as the case may be.  Hedlund illustrates this move well in the video.  By contrast, Henson, at least in this one example, comes up out of his stance slightly, turns his hips too early, cuts across the ball from the outside in, closes down on it, and pull hooks it.  It's not that difficult to see.  Golfers also realize that the greater the pressure on any given shot, the harder it is to execute the perfect swing. 

I thought when I watched the kick that the pressure up the middle caused Henson to pull the kick left.  Had the ball taken the correct flight path for a draw from the left hash, it may very well have been blocked.  I think he saw that coming and flinched.  No big deal.  A 44 yard field goal from the left hash at that point in a big game isn't easy for anyone, NFL kickers included.  Add the sun in Henson's eyes and the middle rush in just the right place, and I don't like the odds - Hedlund, Henson or Dan Bailey.

The questions I and others have raised here do not relate directly to the miss.  They relate to whether a walk-on kicker with a range of 42 yards (that looks shaky at the moment) should be the kicker on an SEC team on a 14 game conference losing streak while a Parade All American is redshirted.  Hedlund hit 24 of 26 field goals and 96 of 96 extra points to shatter the Texas high school scoring record.  His long was 52 yards.  He was the number 4 rated kicker in the country out of high school in Kohl's system.  You don't buy that rating.  Someone asked me yesterday why I know something about kicking.  Maybe I shouldn't post this here, but I've been following this freshman since he started at the age of 5 making goal posts in the back yard out of whatever he could find in the garage:

http://kohlskicking.com/profile/matthew-phillips/14326/

That was from Kohl's National Invitational Scholarship Camp in July.  Matthew didn't make it far in the competition (he was coming out of the eighth grade and finished in the top 200 of 500), but I can tell you that the finals look like the NFL combine.  Hedlund wasn't ranked 4th because he bought it.

I don't know why you felt the need to start a new thread on this when you could have responded to the one that's been around since Sunday.  No need to take a swipe at posters, including myself, bringing civil discussion to a relevant question, at least one Matt Hall thinks is relevant. 

P.S. - just saw code red's other apt golf analogy, and it's a good one. 

Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

The_Iceman

Its like when you are on the tee box and you look up to get your line, and the sun is right in your eyes. While it doesn't affect your swing any, in the back on your subconscious, you know you are about to look right up into it on your follow through. This usually causes me to pull my drive left.

Could be the case here.

bphi11ips

Quote from: The_Iceman on September 30, 2014, 09:48:30 am
Its like when you are on the tee box and you look up to get your line, and the sun is right in your eyes. While it doesn't affect your swing any, in the back on your subconscious, you know you are about to look right up into it on your follow through. This usually causes me to pull my drive left.

Could be the case here.

And another. 

ricepig

Yet, the coaching staff said Henson won the competition in the fall, I guess they should have just used the Kohl ratings.

Hog Fan...DOH!

Quote from: bphi11ips on September 30, 2014, 09:50:18 am
And another. 

Could have simply been a piece of the puzzle.  It's just a discussion.  I mean, kickers miss all the time without the sun in their eyes.  It was a tough situation regardless.

onebadrubi

Quote from: bphi11ips on September 30, 2014, 09:50:18 am
And another.

You missed my golf analogy, but it's the same.  Great putters dont put towards the hole, great drivers don't aim for the middle of the fairway.  They pick a line, on that line of sight they find something closer to the ball than the target and send it over that target.  Kickers are doing the same.  If they need it too split the C and right Guard, then thats the target, send it over that target and through the uprights it goes.  It's the old saying, aim small miss small (also from the movie The Patriot).

Bphillips you mentioned something noone else has though and I believe to be correct, if it was on the right path, there were 2-3 sets of hands at their highest point at the right time, it may have very well been blocked. 

Ex-Trumpet

Good grief, some of y'all act like a kicker has never missed a field goal...things happen.

Maybe the holder placed the ball an inch or two from its spot...that could make a huge difference too.

We had plenty of other opportunities to win that game and didn't.  We will learn from it and get better.

And, who knows, we may have a different kicker in a couple weeks.  Let's face it, if there was another kicker on the sideline that proved himself to be better, he would have been on the field kicking.  He wasn't.  He may be in the future, but Saturday he wasn't.  If there's a better kicker he needs to go win the job.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

ricepig

Quote from: bphi11ips on September 30, 2014, 09:59:27 am
As if you would know. 

Seriously, you think they are redshirt Hedlund for no good reason? I've said many times that I expected Cole to be the kicker, but Bielema said in all the post practice reports that Henson won the job. Obviously, in the staffs eyes, Henson won the right to be the kicker.

DeltaBoy

Shoot I though we were going to talk about cooking eggs.   I hope the sun was not the reason he missed.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

JJHog

I noticed it on the replay.
A billion dollar stadium and the sun gets in your eyes, nice Jerry.

" Think Right, Do Right"

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 30, 2014, 10:49:59 am
Shoot I though we were going to talk about cooking eggs.   I hope the sun was not the reason he missed.

Delta, why did we not punt in that situation? Irwin-Hill was amazing in that game at punting.

jm

He just missed it. It was near or maybe beyond his maximum range. I would imagine he felt that he really needed to put some extra leg into it to get it far enough which often causes a miss.

bphi11ips

Quote from: ricepig on September 30, 2014, 10:48:45 am
Seriously, you think they are redshirt Hedlund for no good reason? I've said many times that I expected Cole to be the kicker, but Bielema said in all the post practice reports that Henson won the job. Obviously, in the staffs eyes, Henson won the right to be the kicker.

I already gave my reasoning for Bielema's decision in the long thread.  Your choice is to accept the "competition" at face value.  I don't buy it as the critical factor in the decision based upon what I have seen this season, video available to me of the two kickers, and Hedlund's track record in high school. 

What I do believe is this:

The reports here and elsewhere related to the "competition" being "close" or "about even" are correct.

Bret Bielema, to some extent at the beginning of the season, and to some extent even now, is willing to sacrifice success in 2014 in order to build for the future by redshirting every player he can.  I believe this was and is driven by the schedule as much as anything else, but I believe the team is better than even he thought it would be. 

Bret Bielema is firmly committed to a strong redshirt program.

Bret Bielema is firmly committed to upperclassmen.

Bret Bielema is firmly committed to establishing a walk-on program that will rival his mentor Bill Snyder's at K-State.

Cole Hedlund, himself, may believe that he needs a year of physical development to increase his explosiveness at the point of impact.

I believe Bret Bielema weighed all of those factors except the last when he made the decision to redshirt Cole Hedlund, and if the last factor was the reason, then I believe it wasn't his decision at all, and may be one that will benefit Hedlund. 

I haven't suggested that the best long-term decision isn't to redshirt Hedlund.  All I have suggested is that Hedlund is the better kicker, now and long-term, and that factors other than the "competition" are at play here.   

bphi11ips

September 30, 2014, 11:21:52 am #20 Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 11:55:47 am by bphi11ips
Quote from: jm on September 30, 2014, 10:59:49 am
He just missed it. It was near or maybe beyond his maximum range. I would imagine he felt that he really needed to put some extra leg into it to get it far enough which often causes a miss.

This, too.  Another golf analogy.  Pull hooks happen when the player opens his hips too soon because he is trying to hit the ball to hard.  Just like a kicker. 

ricepig

Quote from: bphi11ips on September 30, 2014, 11:20:52 am
I already gave my reasoning for Bielema's decision in the long thread.  Your choice is to accept the "competition" at face value.  I don't buy it as the critical factor in the decision based upon what I have seen this season, video available to me of the two kickers, and Hedlund's track record in high school. 

What I do believe is this:

The reports here and elsewhere related to the "competition" being "close" or "about even" are correct.

Bret Bielema, to some extent at the beginning of the season, and to some extent even now, is willing to sacrifice success in 2014 in order to build for the future by redshirting every player he can.  I believe this was and is driven by the schedule as much as anything else, but I believe the team is better than even he thought it would be. 

Bret Bielema is firmly committed to a strong redshirt program.

Bret Bielema is firmly committed to upperclassmen.

Bret Bielema is firmly committed to establishing a walk-on program that will rival his mentor Bill Snyder's at K-State.

Cole Hedlund, himself, may believe that he needs a year of physical development to increase his explosiveness at the point of impact.

I believe Bret Bielema weighed all of those factors except the last when he made the decision to redshirt Cole Hedlund, and if the last factor was the reason, then I believe it wasn't his decision at all, and may be one that will benefit Hedlund. 

I haven't suggested that the best long-term decision isn't to redshirt Hedlund.  All I have suggested is that Hedlund is the better kicker, now and long-term, and that factors other than the "competition" are at play here.   

Well, it's a theory...   .

bphi11ips

The gentleman from Oklahoma must have a long class this morning.

Oklahawg

Interesting commentary.

Without seeming like it is a lecture, usually the easiest explanation is the best explanation. All of these could fit the bill:

1. He hooked it due to the yips
2. He was beyond his comfortable range and had to "overkick"
3. The sun affected him
4. He was trying to avoid a block
5. Bad spot
6. Kicking technique in general (some sort of structural flaw that reared its ugly head)
7. nerves

I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

bphi11ips

Quote from: Oklahawg on September 30, 2014, 12:07:35 pm
Interesting commentary.

Without seeming like it is a lecture, usually the easiest explanation is the best explanation. All of these could fit the bill:

3. The sun affected him
5. Bad spot
6. Kicking technique in general (some sort of structural flaw that reared its ugly head)
7. nerves

But admit it . . . you were "pissed", at least slightly, because you know we have the 2014 Parade All-American placekicker sitting in the wings. 

texas tush hog

Interesting commentary.

3. The sun affected him
5. Bad spot
7. nerves

Nevertheless, They do not care what we think as long as we just keep buying tickets.

Dark Helmet Hog

I don't think we really know how good of a kicker we have yet, but I did think there were some odd actions leading up to the kick.

Why run to the hash and give the kicker a bad angle?
Why try to get an off sides call there? Don't let the kicker think about it so long. Just kick the ball.

Yes, I think the sun could have bothered him too. It was as bad a miss as we've seen in a while.

ricepig

Quote from: texas tush hog on September 30, 2014, 12:15:56 pm
Nevertheless, They do not care what we think as long as we just keep buying tickets.

Well, wouldn't "they" think that wins put more butts in the seats? I'm sure administration worries/cares about revenue, I don't think Bielema does.

jkstock04

He looked stiff as a board and extremely nervous to me, I think that was the main factor other than mechanics.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Pig In The City

Excuses excuses! C'mon man!

bao187

he obviously isn't that great of a kicker, we punt from the 30. i couldn't do any better though.
Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

bphi11ips

Quote from: jkstock04 on September 30, 2014, 12:24:30 pm
He looked stiff as a board and extremely nervous to me, I think that was the main factor other than mechanics.

Tension leads to poor mechanics.

woodrow hog call

I actually thought they should hurry and close the ends where the sun was coming through, kind of chuckled to myself thinking it would be like the snow plow guy and the Dolphins? Kicker from back in the day.

Bottom line it was one play, just like a bunch of other plays that we didn't execute properly, anything can happen in a few seconds between the snap and the whistle, and it makes no difference how bad he missed, he just did. Hopefully he does better next time.

Oh and if our coaches refer to high school game tapes to determine the depth chart, I would be greatly disappointed.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

onebadrubi

Quote from: Dark Helmet Hog on September 30, 2014, 12:22:36 pm
I don't think we really know how good of a kicker we have yet, but I did think there were some odd actions leading up to the kick.

Why run to the hash and give the kicker a bad angle?
Why try to get an off sides call there? Don't let the kicker think about it so long. Just kick the ball.

Yes, I think the sun could have bothered him too. It was as bad a miss as we've seen in a while.

Coach said that Henson preferred that hash. 

bphi11ips

Quote from: woodrow hog call on September 30, 2014, 12:47:06 pm

Oh and if our coaches refer to high school game tapes to determine the depth chart, I would be greatly disappointed.

At every other position I'd agree with you.  If you play golf you'll get this hypothetical:

Rory McIlroy and Bubba Watson play 5 rounds of match play.  Watson wins three, one-up in the deciding match on a 90-foot putt.  You know nothing about either player other than watching them swing, but you do know something about the golf swing.  You now have to choose McIlroy or Watson as your partner in a $10,000 four ball, winner takes all.   Which one do you choose? 

bphi11ips

Quote from: onebadrubi on September 30, 2014, 01:06:32 pm

That makes sense, but it's unusual. 

Dark Helmet Hog

Quote from: onebadrubi on September 30, 2014, 01:06:32 pm

I did not hear that. Good to know.

WarPig88

The kick was a non issue. Skipper's dirty trip lost the game.

Dark Helmet Hog

Quote from: WarPig88 on September 30, 2014, 02:30:23 pm
The kick was a non issue. Skipper's dirty trip lost the game.

:puke:

bphi11ips

ricepig

Oklahawg

Quote from: bphi11ips on September 30, 2014, 12:14:38 pm
But admit it . . . you were "pissed", at least slightly, because you know we have the 2014 Parade All-American placekicker sitting in the wings. 

No, I was pissed because I didn't know why Hedlund was redshirting and has never appeared. It is not like a 43-yard cap is elite level and the stated reason of "Henson winning the competition" is good but how often do they revisit the competition?

Did Hedlund have a leg injury? I remember a kicker under Nutt getting hurt by being allowed to kick to much on his own in practice and straining a muscle. That is what is curious about Hedlund - the unknown.

ricepig

Quote from: Oklahawg on September 30, 2014, 03:32:22 pm
No, I was pissed because I didn't know why Hedlund was redshirting and has never appeared. It is not like a 43-yard cap is elite level and the stated reason of "Henson winning the competition" is good but how often do they revisit the competition?

Did Hedlund have a leg injury? I remember a kicker under Nutt getting hurt by being allowed to kick to much on his own in practice and straining a muscle. That is what is curious about Hedlund - the unknown.

If you listened to the PC, it sounds like it will be opened up for competition. He didn't mention Hedlund, I got the impression that Fain would be given some opportunities.

Ex-Trumpet

We've given up more points due to long kickoff returns than we have in missed field goals.  My bigger concern is not being able to kick it out of the endzone.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Dark Helmet Hog

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on September 30, 2014, 03:48:16 pm
We've given up more points due to long kickoff returns than we have in missed field goals.  My bigger concern is not being able to kick it out of the endzone.

Kickoffs have definitely not been what they once were.

Bubba's Bruisers

Interesting commentary.

3. The sun affected him
5. Bad spot
7. nerves

The life of a kicker.  Was anyone actually confident he was going to make it when he walked onto the field?  I wasn't.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Dark Helmet Hog

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on September 30, 2014, 03:58:01 pm
The life of a kicker.  Was anyone actually confident he was going to make it when he walked onto the field?  I wasn't.

lol.

Kickers are such a fragile bunch.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: Dark Helmet Hog on September 30, 2014, 03:50:11 pm
Kickoffs have definitely not been what they once were.

It got to the point that I told my wife that we need to kick it OB...at least they won't start on our end of the field--or return it for a TD.

bphi11ips

Quote from: Oklahawg on September 30, 2014, 03:32:22 pm

It seems to me like we're on the same page, although I wasn't upset when Henson missed - just puzzled.  We aren't sure exactly why Hedlund has seen no action, but we aren't buying the "Henson beat him out" simple explanation, because it doesn't make complete sense after watching Henson kick for five games.

ricepig

Quote from: bphi11ips on September 30, 2014, 04:51:22 pm
It seems to me like we're on the same page, although I wasn't upset when Henson missed - just puzzled.  We aren't sure exactly why Hedlund has seen no action, but we aren't buying the "Henson beat him out" simple explanation, because it doesn't make complete sense after watching Henson kick for five games.

Until he missed the FG against NIU, what had he done to lose the job?