Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Did anyone notice how the penalty on the winning play was ignored?

Started by Cardinal Browne, September 29, 2014, 06:56:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Cardinal Browne

After being at the game in person, then coming home to watch the game on my DVR and get to see all of the replays on penalties and mistakes in the game, I must say, even though I don't particularly care for the officiating crew that called the game, and I do believe there is some tendency for SEC crews to protect the higher ranked SEC team (and thereby help make sure the best SEC teams stay in the forefront of the National Championship chase) ... I thought overall this crew ended up doing a pretty good job of officiating the game... with the one exception of the false start/illegal procedure by the aTm receiver that caught the winning touchdown in overtime...  I think the spread teams, with their constant rising up and looking to the sideline have an inherent advantage to cover up false starts by just acting like they are looking to the sideline... it was clearly a false start and would have made it 1st and 15 from the 30 yard line instead of a single play OT touchdown... half the players from Arkansas were pointing out the obvious false start along with most of the coaches from the sideline and the side judge definitely saw the infraction, but chose not to call it.  I think the rules committee should evaluate the incessant rising up and stepping out of position to get the last second play changes and audibles from the sidelines...  just my 2 cents...

hawgwash

It was a penalty and should have been called.  Not sure if it had anything to do with getting the play from the sideline or not, I don't remember.  But it it had been called, I figure they would have run the same play on first and 15 and scored just the same.  The play they called was either going for a long gain or would have been incomplete or intercepted.  Its not like they ran a running play that they wouldn't have called with 5 more yards to go.

texas tush hog

Quote from: hawgwash on September 29, 2014, 07:02:39 pm
It was a penalty and should have been called.  Not sure if it had anything to do with getting the play from the sideline or not, I don't remember.  But it it had been called, I figure they would have run the same play on first and 15 and scored just the same.  The play they called was either going for a long gain or would have been incomplete or intercepted.  Its not like they ran a running play that they wouldn't have called with 5 more yards to go.

This.

Hogarusa

Quote from: hawgwash on September 29, 2014, 07:02:39 pm
The play they called was either going for a long gain or would have been incomplete or intercepted. 

Its analysis like this that keep me coming back to Hogville over and over.
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

hawgwash

Quote from: Hogarusa on September 29, 2014, 07:15:13 pm
Its analysis like this that keep me coming back to Hogville over and over.
The point is the penalty had no bearing on the outcome of the game.  They would have run the same play on 1st and 15, probably with the same result.

Großer Kriegschwein

Yep. And if you didn't notice it, our Corner was pointing it out for everyone to see
This is my non-signature signature.

Cardinal Browne

what I was referring to is that once the player had the false start, the rest of the team rose up to look to the sideline and it almost made it look like the receiver was doing the same, only earlier, and the look to the sideline allowed him to get away with the false start because of the movement of the rest of the team that followed a beat in time later...it makes it tough to the side judge to be decisive on the false start call because, in my opinion they are almost "false starting" on every play that these spread teams are rising up and looking to the sideline for play calls and audibles from the bench...just an observation that I think should be evaluated by the rules committee in the future... I really think the hogs have come a long, long way from the dumpster fires of the past two seasons... especially the John L. Smith fiasco... 

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: hawgwash on September 29, 2014, 07:16:58 pm

The point is the penalty had no bearing on the outcome of the game.  They would have run the same play on 1st and 15, probably with the same result.

Maybe......but you make them do it again, just like if they would have kicked a field goal & made it.  Enforce the penalty, back them up 5 yards, & make them do it again.  QB could get pressure, or he could underthrow/overthrow....WR could drop the ball, OL could jump, get called for holding, etc.  It definitely could have had a different outcome on the game. You don't...."give" the opponent the play that won them the game in OT & say it wouldn't have mattered.  Who even knows if they would have actually called the same play after they were penalized?  They may have decided on a different call or formation.
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

LA Football fan

Who is to say we don't change our defensive call on 1st and 15 as opposed to 1st and 10.  That penalty could have changed everything but due to it not being called no one will ever know.  It is what it is.  Another obvious SEC blown call that had an official looking directly at it and ignoring it.  Unbelievable but after watching them call holding on some plays and ignoring an obvious hold on others I really don't know what triggers them to throw a flag on any given play.  Absolutely no consistency in their calls.  That is the biggest issue.  Teams will block a certain way 10 plays in a row and then see the official throw a flag on a play blocked the exact same way they have been and nothing being called.

Hoggish1

Quote from: LA Football fan on September 29, 2014, 10:27:27 pm
Who is to say we don't change our defensive call on 1st and 15 as opposed to 1st and 10. 

Post of the year...

jkstock04

Interesting...I didn't see it but do believe you and it doesn't surprise me it wasn't called.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

redeye

Quote from: jkstock04 on September 29, 2014, 10:43:23 pm
Interesting...I didn't see it but do believe you and it doesn't surprise me it wasn't called.

Just turn up the volume on the replay.  Vern and Gary agreed that it was a penalty and were surprised it wasn't called. 

Razordiddy

It also could have had an effect because our defense might have been distracted for a split second right before the snap while waiting to see if the penalty would be called.

redeye

Quote from: Razordiddy on September 29, 2014, 10:57:30 pm
It also could have had an effect because our defense might have been distracted for a split second right before the snap while waiting to see if the penalty would be called.

It would also mean some swing in momentum, which we desperately needed right then.

Razor6

Never ruin a good today by thinking about a bad yesterday.

Let's beat Bama!

I was there when we melted the internet!  Were you?