Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Do we have a screen pass in our arsenal?

Started by kchogfan14, September 29, 2014, 03:17:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

kchogfan14

During the game I never saw us utilize the screen pass? Did I miss one?

Running is our bread and butter, but the effective use of a screen pass can be a game changer as well.

Did I miss one?

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Fayettechill14

Sam Pittman doesn't like screen passes, apparently. Says the offensive linemen don't do well in space. It makes sense, but I would like a little RB screen.

PorkRinds

I'd like to see some screens or bubble screens to the receivers out wide.  I think Cornelius might be dangerous in the screen game.

hoghearted

Is there no way to improve the line's ability to block in space?
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

Fayettechill14

Quote from: hoghearted on September 29, 2014, 03:20:33 pm
Is there no way to improve the line's ability to block in space?

Get smaller linemen? 6-foot-10 guys like Skipper, and 350-pounders like Tretola aren't made for blocking in space.

A bubble screen would be a nice play that wouldn't require a mobile line. Give Hatcher or Cornelius a bubble and let them work.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 29, 2014, 03:22:47 pm
Get smaller linemen? 6-foot-10 guys like Skipper, and 350-pounders like Tretola aren't made for blocking in space.

A bubble screen would be a nice play that wouldn't require a mobile line. Give Hatcher or Cornelius a bubble and let them work.

I wonder if Chaney ever thought of that since they ran Bubble Screens at Tinner.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hoghearted

So it's a mobility/speed issue? Just trying to understand.

Frustrating during that last quarter we couldn't seem to pass when we needed to. Didn't actually see the game as I was at work, so I don't know if it was mistake related, play selection, or what.
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 29, 2014, 03:24:26 pm
I wonder if Chaney ever thought of that since they ran Bubble Screens at Tinner.

Go back to his Purdue offense for bubble screens as well. 

As I said when this subject was talked about this weekend, I think Ragnow has the athleticism to get out on screen plays.  Let the kid develop and we'll see some. 

Part of the effectiveness of a screen is the dline being overly aggressive rushing the qb.  I don't know if our offense creates this situation yet enough to where Chaney could call a screen and be confident he is going to get that situation.  Our backs should be good enough to get some yards on a screen if the dline has overpursued Allen without the need for olinemen to be out in front leading the way.  It goes back to timing though and I don't know that defenses would create a situation where a screen would be the right call.

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

ricepig

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 29, 2014, 03:22:47 pm

We'll see it next year with KJ, JoJo, and Cornelius.

Chuck Beavers

Garry Daneilson addressed this during the broadcast Saturday. He said he asked Sam Pittman why we didn't use screens and Pittman explained something to the effect that our lineman just could not run it properly.

Danny J

Why run screens when teams are not pinning their ears back trying to sack a QB who doesn't routinely make plays down the field? Next year with Hill and more experience at the WR position it may be different but right now teams are not selling out trying to stop our passing game. They are simply stacking the line against the run and filling run gaps. You beat that by throwing over the top of that stacked box but right now we have no legit consistent deep threats or guys that can go across the middle. I don't think we ran one play action pass in the second half but may be wrong.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Danny J on September 29, 2014, 03:38:15 pm
Why run screens when teams are not pinning their ears back trying to sack a QB who doesn't routinely make plays down the field? Next year with Hill and more experience at the WR position it may be different but right now teams are not selling out trying to stop our passing game. They are simply stacking the line against the run and filling run gaps. You beat that by throwing over the top of that stacked box but right now we have no legit consistent deep threats or guys that can go across the middle. I don't think we ran one play action pass in the second half but may be wrong.
When was Derby's TD?

HF#1

I suspect we will see some WR screens with KJ Hill in the future.  He has the speed to make something out of them when db's are playing off the LOS.  We can get the TE's out in front of him blocking instead of the O-line.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Tusks

That's when he quoted Pittman as saying the hogs OL wasn't that great blocking in space.

Quote from: Chuck Beavers on September 29, 2014, 03:38:12 pm
Garry Daneilson addressed this during the broadcast Saturday. He said he asked Sam Pittman why we didn't use screens and Pittman explained something to the effect that our lineman just could not run it properly.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Danny J

Quote from: PonderinHog on September 29, 2014, 04:01:52 pm
When was Derby's TD?
U r right.....3rd quarter. That was the only one I can remember off hand.

Airforcehawg

Would love to see them use the WR screen that Denver runs with D. Thomas. The Broncos use it 2 or 3 times a game and the vast majority of times they are huge gainers. Get hatcher on the edge, HH in the Slot, and Derby/Sprinkle at the TE position.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Danny J on September 29, 2014, 04:24:58 pm
U r right.....3rd quarter. That was the only one I can remember off hand.
I remember my son and I went thru about 20 beers during the game.  Other than that, not so much.

Danny J

Quote from: PonderinHog on September 29, 2014, 04:36:11 pm
I remember my son and I went thru about 20 beers during the game.  Other than that, not so much.
I bet the drinking really picked up during the 4th quarter.

BassinHawg

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 29, 2014, 03:18:51 pm
Sam Pittman doesn't like screen passes, apparently. Says the offensive linemen don't do well in space. It makes sense, but I would like a little RB screen.

That absurd! So they don't run screens in the NFL which has big huge Offensive linemen?

I am not saying they should run it 4 or 5 times, just once in a while when the Defense is being super aggressive with the pass rush!
"It is what it is." has replaced "Yesssss Sirrrrr!!!!"

pfrg999

Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

moses_007

IBleedRazorbackRed

Quote from: Airforcehawg on September 29, 2014, 04:26:47 pm
Would love to see them use the WR screen that Denver runs with D. Thomas. The Broncos use it 2 or 3 times a game and the vast majority of times they are huge gainers. Get hatcher on the edge, HH in the Slot, and Derby/Sprinkle at the TE position.

The reason it works so well for them is because the corners have to play off the line on those guys because they're such big threats. Corners aren't scared of our wideouts so they can play on the line and disrupt those plays.

Wooderson

Quote from: BassinHawg on September 29, 2014, 06:58:43 pm
That absurd! So they don't run screens in the NFL which has big huge Offensive linemen?

I am not saying they should run it 4 or 5 times, just once in a while when the Defense is being super aggressive with the pass rush!

Are you aware that we have the largest o line in football.  Let me repeat the largest oline in NFL and college football.  Let me also explain that every oline in the nfl is made up of the greatest lineman they can find.  The worst lineman on an nfl o line is probably better than our best o lineman currently.  Now in the future Kirkland and Skipper might be good enough to start for an nfl team but at the moment they are not.  If coaches have seen our oline attempt to block in space then they should know what they are capable of.
Give me liberty, or give me death!

Danny J

Wouldn't mind seeing a bubble screen with Henry and Derby out Wide blocking, Hatcher lined up behind them for the times when the box is stacked. That at least spreads the D out a bit and gets a guy with some speed behind a couple of really good open field blockers. Just a thought.