Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

the Monk bros

Started by skinnypig, September 29, 2014, 12:31:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

intelligence

earshot

Quote from: Pork Twain on October 10, 2014, 06:59:25 am
The idea of Arkansas' money is a joke when you step back and look at the big picture

So if he goes to Kentucky or Kansas and blows out his leg like the kid in the NCAA tourney, they will take care of Monk and his family like Arkansas would?

clutch

Quote from: earshot on October 10, 2014, 12:51:06 pm
So if he goes to Kentucky or Kansas and blows out his leg like the kid in the NCAA tourney, they will take care of Monk and his family like Arkansas would?

Nobody is really "taking care" of Marcus and that's exactly what happened to him.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: clutch on October 10, 2014, 12:59:33 pm
Nobody is really "taking care" of Marcus and that's exactly what happened to him.

Touché
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

TomBigBeeHog

Kentucky has to be a serious consideration of his and you can't blame him if he wants to go there. NBA considerations aside, it is a great basketball school. If he leaves, we just have to land some of the greats from other states.

I love the Razorbacks but I am not going to sit here and say that they take care of their players any better than other schools with great fan bases. There is no empirical evidence of that put forward. Marcus' experience would say not.

If it were true, he should at least be a junior exec somewhere on a fast track career path. He was an excellent student, gave his all on the field and court to help the Hogs and represented us well off the field.

To throw a few crumbs their way now, only after we found out Malik was a stud, well I would hope coach MA is not doing that. Having said that, I think that being the home state keeps us in the convo. Build a buzz this year and with the new practice facility and coach MA keeping it real with the family, Malik may still call the Hogs in spite of the big blue menace.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

intelligence

^good post man. +1 iic

Pork Twain

Quote from: clutch on October 10, 2014, 12:59:33 pm
I would love some actual examples of this happening and less talk about how it would happen.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Champs04

Marcus is working for the wings full time now,or that is what i was told.

wholehog92

Marcus is doing what he loves because that's what he wants to do.  It has nothing to do with no other offers.  He's doing fine.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: wholehog92 on October 14, 2014, 11:39:06 am
Marcus is doing what he loves because that's what he wants to do.  It has nothing to do with no other offers.  He's doing fine.

Glad to hear it. Marcus if one of my favorite Hogs. Wish all the best for him.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

clutch

Quote from: wholehog92 on October 14, 2014, 11:39:06 am

I agree, he's doing what he loves and is doing fine. It still doesn't change the fact that nobody really "took care" of him. I know Marcus very well. He got where he's at by working hard and being very qualified. Nobody really "took care" of him. He made things happen for himself.

You just always hear the talk about how these guys will be taken care of if they stay home and it doesn't pan out and that's just not always the case. A lot of times they are forgotten about if they don't pan out. Heck I saw Cedric Cobbs hooking up my grandmas Uverse a few months ago.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: root_hawg on October 07, 2014, 09:05:09 am
What does he care about representing his state? He represents wherever he goes.  Also how was his bro a hero here?

I have always thought the world of him. He was like the ultimate Hog. He gave it his all on the football field, was one of our few bright spots at WR during the Nutt era, made many notable plays and then came back and contributed on the hardwood. How can you not like Marcus Monk?
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: clutch on October 14, 2014, 09:02:27 pm
I agree, he's doing what he loves and is doing fine. It still doesn't change the fact that nobody really "took care" of him. I know Marcus very well. He got where he's at by working hard and being very qualified. Nobody really "took care" of him. He made things happen for himself.

You just always hear the talk about how these guys will be taken care of if they stay home and it doesn't pan out and that's just not always the case. A lot of times they are forgotten about if they don't pan out. Heck I saw Cedric Cobbs hooking up my grandmas Uverse a few months ago.

Cedric is kind of a bad example. I was a huge fan of his, but as recall he could never really keep his nose clean and the couple times I hung out with him he was kind of a prick. (Not that I am anybody special but being a nice guy with a good attitude can get you much further than the contrary. Also, to be fair I should not try to judge his character/personality off of a couple informal meetings.)

Last time I saw him I barely recognized him he was so much smaller than back in the day.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

Hog_Fink

I wish Marcus would've stuck with basketball.....

clutch

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on October 15, 2014, 12:26:02 am
Cedric is kind of a bad example. I was a huge fan of his, but as recall he could never really keep his nose clean and the couple times I hung out with him he was kind of a prick. (Not that I am anybody special but being a nice guy with a good attitude can get you much further than the contrary. Also, to be fair I should not try to judge his character/personality off of a couple informal meetings.)

Last time I saw him I barely recognized him he was so much smaller than back in the day.

I know. I almost didn't include the Cedric part because I knew it was a bad example. I decided to go ahead and throw it in there at the last minute though.

clutch

Quote from: galactivation on October 15, 2014, 02:00:28 am
I wish Marcus would've stuck with basketball.....

He knew his professional future was in football. Well at least his American professional future. If basketball would have been his strongest sport he would have stuck with it exclusively because it is by far his favorite.

yraciv

Quote from: clutch on October 15, 2014, 10:56:16 am
He knew his professional future was in football. Well at least his American professional future. If basketball would have been his strongest sport he would have stuck with it exclusively because it is by far his favorite.

Well that was a mistake.  He made more money in professional basketball than he ever did in professional football, and that is after dedicating the majority of his college life to becoming a NFL player.  Safe to say he made the wrong sport decision or should have gone somewhere he could have developed as a WR more.  Either way, the injury sealed his pro fate.

clutch

Quote from: yraciv on October 15, 2014, 11:05:12 am
Well that was a mistake.  He made more money in professional basketball than he ever did in professional football, and that is after dedicating the majority of his college life to becoming a NFL player.  Safe to say he made the wrong sport decision or should have gone somewhere he could have developed as a WR more.  Either way, the injury sealed his pro fate.

He was projected 2nd rd. in the NFL draft before he messed his knee up. He would have made more money in the NFL than he would have overseas playing basketball. He told me that the knee was definitely the reason he didn't make it in football. He never had the trust in it to hold up during a football camp, but never had that mental block on a basketball court.

He wasn't in a very high league overseas. They have a lot of different classifications. He was working his way up the ranks pretty quickly, winning MVPs, but quit playing before he made it into any real money.

yraciv

Quote from: clutch on October 15, 2014, 12:15:33 pm
He was projected 2nd rd. in the NFL draft before he messed his knee up. He would have made more money in the NFL than he would have overseas playing basketball. He told me that the knee was definitely the reason he didn't make it in football. He never had the trust in it to hold up during a football camp, but never had that mental block on a basketball court.

He wasn't in a very high league overseas. They have a lot of different classifications. He was working his way up the ranks pretty quickly, winning MVPs, but quit playing before he made it into any real money.

I know he didn't make much playing basketball and was lower tier Germay, but considering his NFL career consisted all of a couple weeks on practice squads we know where he made more money.

clutch

Quote from: yraciv on October 15, 2014, 01:43:25 pm
I know he didn't make much playing basketball and was lower tier Germay, but considering his NFL career consisted all of a couple weeks on practice squads we know where he made more money.

Oh I'm not arguing that he made more money playing basketball. I'm just saying that he shouldn't have concentrated on basketball and not football. His chances of making the NFL were much better, and he would have if not for blowing out his knee.

He really shouldn't have came back for his sr. season. He got 2-3rd rd draft grades after his jr year. He came back to school to finish his last semester and please his mother. I think he would have made it. It also wouldn't have been that hard to pack on a little more weight and turn him into one of those hybrid TE's that are so popular right now in the NFL.

yraciv

Quote from: clutch on October 15, 2014, 01:57:24 pm
Oh I'm not arguing that he made more money playing basketball. I'm just saying that he shouldn't have concentrated on basketball and not football. His chances of making the NFL were much better, and he would have if not for blowing out his knee.

He really shouldn't have came back for his sr. season. He got 2-3rd rd draft grades after his jr year. He came back to school to finish his last semester and please his mother. I think he would have made it. It also wouldn't have been that hard to pack on a little more weight and turn him into one of those hybrid TE's that are so popular right now in the NFL.

Well we'll agree to disagree because though I loved Monk as a Hog, I don't think he would have ever been much of a pro.  Sure, without the injury he would have stuck around longer, but I think he would have been more of a 4th or 5th round pick if he came out as a JR.  I think he lacked speed and didn't have the frame to put on anymore.  He wasn't the crispest route runner and also didn't have near the hops of Malik.  Pretty much just struck me as a red zone target at the next level.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on October 15, 2014, 12:13:58 am
I have always thought the world of him. He was like the ultimate Hog. He gave it his all on the football field, was one of our few bright spots at WR during the Nutt era, made many notable plays and then came back and contributed on the hardwood. How can you not like Marcus Monk?

Monk was a solid two sports athlete. Good Razorback. Just think his brother might be going to Lawrence, KS for his one year of college.

1highhog

Quote from: yraciv on October 07, 2014, 03:01:21 pm
You don't know me. How the heck you going to claim who and who isn't a Hog fan?  Do you know how many Hog games I have attended through the year?  Do you know how much I know about the not as popular golf or tennis teams?  Do you know how I schedule my weeks around Hog events?  Do you know how long I've been on this board and at what age I started following the Hogs?  Do you know where I got my degree from and where else I considered?  Do you even know why or how long I have been a fan of the other schools?  FYI, I'm not a USC fan.  Got a gym shirt out there that I occasionally wear.  Just cause  I root for other teams that can't even be considered close to a Hog rival, that somehow makes me less of a fan?

Get off your high horse!  Hog fans come from all over.  I'd happily take a fan from L.A. or South Bend who considers us his SEC team.  Sports in general can get very boring if you have only 1 team or player that has your rooting interest.

I have no problem with kids wearing other schools jerseys, they eventually grow out of it for the most part.  I agree with your argument and your right to wear whatever you wish, however, I can assure you, Sports is not boring by following just one team, I've never followed any team but the Hogs except hoping certain teams in our Conference lose to help our position and my always favorite watching the box scores roll in just to see that the Shorthorns got their asses beat again.  That's the real way to follow another team.  Now I'm sure plenty have their favorite NFL, NBA, MLB, teams, but I'm strictly talking College teams here.

PORKULATOR

any chance that little brother might still be a hog?
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

yraciv

Quote from: 1highhog on October 18, 2014, 02:58:41 am
I have no problem with kids wearing other schools jerseys, they eventually grow out of it for the most part.  I agree with your argument and your right to wear whatever you wish, however, I can assure you, Sports is not boring by following just one team, I've never followed any team but the Hogs except hoping certain teams in our Conference lose to help our position and my always favorite watching the box scores roll in just to see that the Shorthorns got their asses beat again.  That's the real way to follow another team.  Now I'm sure plenty have their favorite NFL, NBA, MLB, teams, but I'm strictly talking College teams here.

Now I agree with you on the Shorthorns comment.  My comment is based on the fact I'd be awfully bored if I had only one game a day I had a rooting interest on.  I can't watch games all day thinking who cares who wins.  It's why I bet on college football.  It's why I have favorites in other conferences. Doesn't make me like the Hogs any less.

intelligence

Quote from: PORKULATOR on October 18, 2014, 01:47:49 pm
any chance that little brother might still be a hog?
maybe. He's from here, so there's a chance he's a hog at heart. on the other hand, there's a chance the lure of kentucky or kansas is more appealing to him.

clutch

Quote from: yraciv on October 15, 2014, 02:10:24 pm
Well we'll agree to disagree because though I loved Monk as a Hog, I don't think he would have ever been much of a pro.  Sure, without the injury he would have stuck around longer, but I think he would have been more of a 4th or 5th round pick if he came out as a JR.  I think he lacked speed and didn't have the frame to put on anymore.  He wasn't the crispest route runner and also didn't have near the hops of Malik.  Pretty much just struck me as a red zone target at the next level.

You can make a pretty nice living as a reliable red zone target.

ArkansasI

Good Lord.  Less than 1% of athletes ever make a living playing sports.  Marcus Monk played football and basketball at the University of Arkansas.  Prior to suffering an injury, Marcus developed a reputation as an excellent possession receiver on a fairly competitive Razorback football team.

Marcus is a smart guy and did everything he was supposed to do in school.  His football skills paid for his college education - and Marcus took full advantage of it.  After pursuing his dream of becoming a successful pro athlete, Marcus was able to return home where he has secured a job helping other kids similarly situated as he was to fulfill their dreams.

How is Marcus Monk defined as anything other than a Razorback hero and a tremendous success story?  He is continuing to write the chapters of his life... He seems to be killing it from my perspective.  Thumbs up!

Malik's story will be different.  They are leading different lives.  However, I hope Malik decides to include a chapter about being a Razorback, too.  Unlike many other fans, I don't believe that having a chapter about going to Kansas or Kentucky will materially change the remaining chapters of his book.  In fact, a chapter about being a part of the revitalization of Razorback basketball would be far more remarkable.

Just sayin'.