Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Re: Should we have gone with Williams instead of Collins on the 4th and 2?

Started by North hog, September 28, 2014, 04:09:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

North hog

hawgXi

Quote from: HOGness4life on September 28, 2014, 04:07:18 pm
Collins is more of a home run threat but what we needed was a tough two yards. FWIW IMO we should have gone with Williams. Not sure what Bielema was thinking.

how bout kody walker?

he has almost as many career td's as collins or J will

Hawghiggs

DeltaBoy

We didn't block worth a dang. We would have had the Nigerian Nightmare to got two yards with that half butted blocking.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Dark Helmet Hog

They were stacked for the run. We needed a different play call there imho.

cubsfan5150

Anyone saying we should have passed it or ran some other play would be crying "WHY DIDN'T WE RUN IT UP THE MIDDLE?!" had whatever the playcall was failed.
QuoteWest Side Rooter wrote:

Always best to talk [expletive] about a team when you don't have to face them again.

I'd do the same. LaRussa's a nutjob and would probably throw at his head.
ETA: A bottle of wine, not a baseball.
ETA: Empty bottle, obviously.

Dark Helmet Hog

Quote from: cubsfan5150 on September 28, 2014, 05:35:23 pm
Anyone saying we should have passed it or ran some other play would be crying "WHY DIDN'T WE RUN IT UP THE MIDDLE?!" had whatever the playcall was failed.

I doubt it.

Mr. McStinkington

No doubt. As soon as they lined up I started hollering "Where's Williams?" Collins is a "vision" back and has lots of hesitations and starts and stops. Williams goes forward and is tough to bring down. He would've been the better option. But, Collins had the first down, it was blocked well enough had he stayed behind the 2 white jerseys instead of bouncing wide.

Pigasaurus

"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking, I would be talking."  Al Bundy

WarPig88

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Hogfan1660

Maybe we should've taken care of business in regulation instead of letting them run a go route every other play. Just saying!

reddogjcss

Coulda shoulda woulda. U can second guess any play that don't work!
This loss was on player mistakes not coaches or play calling. Young guns that will learn from mistakes and go on to upset some folks and make a bowl!

Huckleberry Pig

I like seeing Williams on short yardage cause he hits the hole harder than collins.  collins is better on first and second down. 

That said, it wouldn't have mattered - they had that play stuffed no matter who was running the ball.

sechog

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 28, 2014, 05:15:03 pm
We didn't block worth a dang. We would have had the Nigerian Nightmare to got two yards with that half butted blocking.

Looked to me like Collins read it wrong. Had it total set up to go left. Bounce off of Arinzes block and its a home run.

clutch

I think Williams is better at getting the tough yardage, but maybe their thinking was that Collins is better at finding something out of nothing. Maybe they thought, since it was going to be stacked, that there was a good chance for Collins to bounce it out and find something instead of having someone just try to power through.

All the people saying we should have passed would have lost their mods had we tried to pass and failed. When the games on the line, you stick with what you do best. You line your best up against their best and bank on your best winning the battle. We lost that one, but it happens in football.

We'd already tried to pass on 3rd and short at the end of the 4th quarter and they broke it up easily. You ride what got you that far in that situation.

Huckleberry Pig

Quote from: clutch on September 28, 2014, 08:44:15 pm
I think Williams is better at getting the tough yardage, but maybe their thinking was that Collins is better at finding something out of nothing. Maybe they thought, since it was going to be stacked, that there was a good chance for Collins to bounce it out and find something instead of having someone just try to power through.

All the people saying we should have passed would have lost their mods had we tried to pass and failed. When the games on the line, you stick with what you do best. You line your best up against their best and bank on your best winning the battle. We lost that one, but it happens in football.

We'd already tried to pass on 3rd and short at the end of the 4th quarter and they broke it up easily. You ride what got you that far in that situation.

well said

tophawg19

there isn't a running play for that stacked defense , unless the qb keeps it around the end . we should have checked into another play to spread the field
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

clutch

Quote from: tophawg19 on September 28, 2014, 08:49:31 pm
there isn't a running play for that stacked defense , unless the qb keeps it around the end . we should have checked into another play to spread the field

That's why Collins was in. He has the ability to bounce out and get around the end. He just didn't do it this time.

Tejano Jawg

Yes.

But there were still better options, most of which are covered here--quick pass, Allen keeper, etc.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

31to6

Quote from: HOGness4life on September 28, 2014, 04:07:18 pm
Collins is more of a home run threat but what we needed was a tough two yards. FWIW IMO we should have gone with Williams. Not sure what Bielema was thinking.
In my opinion, I'd rather have J Will in that situation. He has a better ability to get at least 2-3 yards on every touch.

code red

The were begging us to throw the Naked Boot.  It would have been a TD...should have been run at the 4 min mark.  Very questionable calls in my opinion with a 8-9 man box.  No one runs on that.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

blyhog

Rewatched the play and YES that play was totally set up pretty well and had ACA gone left Arinze had SMASHED his assignment in the mouth.This hopefully will teach A.C. to trust the blockers and the plays set-up.

HogFoo

Just watched the Bielema show.  They replayed the last run by Collins on 4&2.   The play was supposed to go to the left. It initially had looked plugged.  But had Collins following his blockers Arinze I think he would have easily got the first down. And it looked like he might have. Rose it for a TD. Cuz Arinze put a heck of a block on. Hindsight is 20/20 though.  Collins just juked the wrong way.
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

HF#1

I didn't think Williams was as effective as Collins this particular game.  His biggest play got called back. 

Collins was getting big chunks with 4-5 minutes left in the 4th quarter and then we botched the snap. 

Have no problem with Collins in that situation. 
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

HogFoo

Quote from: blyhog on September 28, 2014, 10:23:18 pm
Rewatched the play and YES that play was totally set up pretty well and had ACA gone left Arinze had SMASHED his assignment in the mouth.This hopefully will teach A.C. to trust the blockers and the plays set-up.
just saw your post.  U are right. Collins will hopefully follow his blocks better.  Kind of like that game where he was in the wildcat on our 20.  Had Collins followed the blocks (he actually tried to get in front of them) Collins would have scored.  Instead he got knocked out of bounds before the end zone. 

Again. Collins needs to follow and trust his blockers just a bit better.  That 4&2 isn't a play where u dance around.  U just bull rush find a hole and push.  Not dance. Dang it.
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

jh0486

I would say yes, IMO. Collins is a great back, but JWILL just makes things happen. It seems like that young man will just not be denied. If Collins had JWILL's vision, he would be the best back in the country. Collins, as he tends to do, tried to use his one-cut style to the back side when he could have just rode up the back of the left side of the line and pushed for a first down. Last I remember, we have some big guys over there. I don't have a problem with the play call. Running the ball is what we do and we have to be able to convert a 4th and short.

Censored

MissippHog

Quote from: Mr. McStinkington on September 28, 2014, 06:07:15 pm
No doubt. As soon as they lined up I started hollering "Where's Williams?" Collins is a "vision" back and has lots of hesitations and starts and stops. Williams goes forward and is tough to bring down. He would've been the better option. But, Collins had the first down, it was blocked well enough had he stayed behind the 2 white jerseys instead of bouncing wide.
Had Collins cut back to his left and taken it wide he would have scored.

MissippHog

One thing to remember about AC3, he's just a sophmore.  He will learn and continue to improve.

HogWildBison2011

My opinion doesn't matter, but when I saw the formation and how the defense lined up a pitch to the left prob would have went for a TD.... Almost every player was in the box close to the LOS.

jneal56

I can't believe nobody has stated the obvious! 4th and 2 in OT you run Sam Irwin Hill on the fake punt! They'd never see it coming!!!!!
"At least we are moral"

BorderPatrol

GuvHog

Quote from: Kevin on September 28, 2014, 08:18:18 pm
Versus 11 in the box, did not matter

Well said. A completed RB pass or a throw back pass to Brando Allen would have been a TD. The A&M defense had sold out to stop the run and would have been caught flat footed. The receiver would've been able to walk in to the end zone.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!