Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Our Pass Defense Scheme

Started by Razorfox, September 29, 2014, 10:04:20 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Razorfox

It seems some folks are ticked off that we are still getting beat on deep pass plays occasionally.  I certainly don't like it either.  But at the same time, we seem marginally better in this area than in the past 6 years or so.  The area that we are WAY better in is defending the short to intermediate passes.  We have knocked down and intercepted more of these in the first five games of the year than seemingly in the decade before this season.  We are actually slowing down potential Heisman candidate QBs rather than making marginal QBs look like Heisman candidates. 

So, here is my question about our pass defense:  Is our current scheme set up to stop the short and intermediate passes at the expense of potentially allowing defenders to get behind our guys on occasion?  As we all know, it's hard for most defenses (especially one with less than superior talent like ours) to stop everything.  That being the case, I just wonder if the coaches haven't made a conscious decision to shut down the shorter stuff for the longer stuff. 

If that's the case, it's a smart move in my opinion.  The chances for success are naturally lower on the long passes anyway when compared to the shorter stuff.  I think the proof is in the pudding too with the success we've had and that we've allowed fewer points.  I have a feeling that last year's team probably would have given up 45+ points to TX A&M while we held them to 28 in regulation this year. 

HF#1

I think we held A&M to 14 points for 50 minutes.  Then we gave up 2 big plays where we just got beat by elite WR's.  It was bound to happen, we just allowed it at a very bad time. 

I think we are a recruiting class away, maybe two,  from being full strength in the secondary.

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

hogwild210

Quote from: HF#1 on September 29, 2014, 10:08:42 am
I think we held A&M to 14 points for 50 minutes.  Then we gave up 2 big plays where we just got beat by elite WR's.  It was bound to happen, we just allowed it at a very bad time. 

I think we are a recruiting class away, maybe two,  from being full strength in the secondary.

This. Once we get the Jimmy's and Joe's, the X's and O's will fall into place.
Quote from: Steef on May 26, 2017, 12:28:23 pm
Still, one can never go wrong with excrement at a time like this.

HF#1

Quote from: hogwild210 on September 29, 2014, 10:10:24 am
This. Once we get the Jimmy's and Joe's, the X's and O's will fall into place.

But our guys are working their tails off and improving each and every game.  Clay Jennings is doing a hell of a job and so is Robb Smith.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

hogwild210

Quote from: HF#1 on September 29, 2014, 10:12:45 am
But our guys are working their tails off and improving each and every game.  Clay Jennings is doing a hell of a job and so is Robb Smith.

I totally agree! We're definitely seeing improvement from game to game. I couldn't be happier with the product we're seeing, given the circumstances.
Quote from: Steef on May 26, 2017, 12:28:23 pm
Still, one can never go wrong with excrement at a time like this.

DukeOfPork

Quote from: Razorfox on September 29, 2014, 10:04:20 am
We have knocked down and intercepted more of these in the first five games of the year than seemingly in the decade before this season. 

This is the truth.

We are thin in the secondary and I thought we looked like we got worn down in the 4th quarter.  The dbacks were falling and letting guys behind them, etc.

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

HF#1

Quote from: hogwild210 on September 29, 2014, 10:15:09 am
I totally agree! We're definitely seeing improvement from game to game. I couldn't be happier with the product we're seeing, given the circumstances.

Especially if you consider how awful we were last season.  The improvement is almost unbelievable.

hogsanity

The defense is better, there is no doubt about that.  The last two years we saw many 4 or 5 yard passes turn into 20+ yard plays by the opponents.  This year, not too many of those so far. 

The main problem on the deep balls seems to be the safety play.  Just like the 2nd long td by A&m, the safety was coming over, but was just late and out of position.  Same problem last year at Rutgers and at LSU.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

BorderPatrol

Quote from: Kevin on September 29, 2014, 10:16:26 am
Same safeties, same results

You have to be one of the most negative people that post here.

bp

hogsanity

Quote from: BorderPatrol on September 29, 2014, 10:18:51 am

bp

He may be, but he is not wrong.  Go back and watch last year at Rutgers and at LSU.  The go watch the last two A&M scores. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

BorderPatrol

Quote from: hogsanity on September 29, 2014, 10:24:34 am
He may be, but he is not wrong.  Go back and watch last year at Rutgers and at LSU.  The go watch the last two A&M scores.

Have you not seen improvement in their play since even the LSU game?

bp

Kevin

Quote from: BorderPatrol on September 29, 2014, 10:18:51 am

bp

Honest poster
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

Kevin

Quote from: BorderPatrol on September 29, 2014, 10:27:31 am

bp

Bit on the same play on Saturday, as they did vs Lsu.   Can not let someone behind you,, in that situation. 

Cannot whiff on a tackle, because you are going for a highlight hit, and let the guy run for a td

hogsanity

Quote from: BorderPatrol on September 29, 2014, 10:27:31 am

bp

Most certainly have.  I don't hold my breath any more when the other teams throws a 5 yard out wondering how many tackles the hogs will miss, and they have knocked down more passes.  But Saturday, they got beat on a lot of deep balls that A&M managed to screw up by dropping or tripping over themselves. Don't forget, Pope was all alone and just fell down on a sure TD on a deep ball.

hogsanity

Quote from: Surfing8 on September 29, 2014, 10:35:23 am
If we don't have the talent at DB as so many point out, then there's no sense gnashing teeth over it mid-season.

Where we can really invest some worry is the complete lack of DB/LB recruiting commitments at this point.  Looks like a glaring hole that needs to get addressed.

Seems like they are redshirting a couple of safeties that they are pretty high on, but they did not want to throw them to the lions like they had to do with a couple guys last year. The CB play, while not spectacular, has been okay.  That's the thing, if you have outstanding safety play you can get by with avg CB play, or vie versa, but you cant just be average at both.

realpig

It appears to me that we have improved and our secondary will have to continue to learn responsibilities.  They did fairly well throughout the game and got caught committing to the wrong read.  This will improve with new talent, practice, and game experience.  I was pleased that we were not killed across the middle with the pass.  I hate to lose, but I love feeling that we have a chance to win. 
Successful people do what unsuccessful people dislike doing.  It's not that they like doing them, but their strength of purpose is greater than their dislike of doing them.

hogsanity

Defense was the difference in being 6-6 last year and being 3-9, and defense will be the difference this year in getting some sec wins, or not. Said that back in April, and in August.

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: HF#1 on September 29, 2014, 10:08:42 am

If A&M receivers catch half of the balls they plain dropped, the resulting score would likely not have been close.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

DukeOfPork

Quote from: Pigsknuckles on September 29, 2014, 11:07:16 am
If A&M receivers catch half of the balls they plain dropped, the resulting score would likely not have been close.

Yet this board somehow thinks that we are the superior team and the only reason we lost is because of a couple mistakes.

BorderPatrol

If? If just three things happened differently for Arkansas, this game would have been a blow out.

bp

rickm1976

Quote from: BorderPatrol on September 29, 2014, 11:56:54 am
If? If just three things happened differently for Arkansas, this game would have been a blow out.

So in other words, if all of these things happened differently, the end result would have still been the same.

Josh Goforth

Smith scheme gambles at times. He hasnt blitzed as much as I thought he would, (Auburn TD on corner blitz) most likely due to the talent and experience lacking at corner and safety. But even when he gets the players he wants they are going to give up some big ones from time to time, but come up with some big turnovers/ ints/ strip sacks tackles for loss.
His defense is the opposite of a bend but dont break, it is an all or nothing D where if an offense can beat a guy 1 on 1 it results in a big play.
Im more partial to that style myself, but he will need to it smart and dial it down in some instances like right before the half when A&M scored and they were in tight coverage.

hawgmasta

I often wonder why people say we have no talent in the secondary. The safeties definitely aren't rated as high but Mitchell and Washington are both 4* senior corners. Toliver may have been a 3* but had offers I would consider 4* worthy. That's not much depth yes, and ones a freshman, but we have the talent at cornerback to compete with almost anybody in the country. They were going up against huge highly rated receivers and for the most part shutting them down. Washington could've had two picks.

Flowers also helped them out immensely. It seems obvious the strength of this defense will be the line this year and the years to come. Literally one great safety or linebacker away from being able to put this away. . . Or maybe a first down or two in the fourth quarter. (Snap!)

S.A.D.C

Quote from: jg8417 on September 29, 2014, 12:23:36 pm
Smith scheme gambles at times. He hasnt blitzed as much as I thought he would, (Auburn TD on corner blitz) most likely due to the talent and experience lacking at corner and safety. But even when he gets the players he wants they are going to give up some big ones from time to time, but come up with some big turnovers/ ints/ strip sacks tackles for loss.
His defense is the opposite of a bend but dont break, it is an all or nothing D where if an offense can beat a guy 1 on 1 it results in a big play.
Im more partial to that style myself, but he will need to it smart and dial it down in some instances like right before the half when A&M scored and they were in tight coverage.

I think we don't  lots much because that is exactly what teams like TT and TAMU want you to do.  Their QBs are more uncomfortable being forced to stay in the pocket and make reads.  If you blitz and let their big and or fast WR run hit routes they will smoke you.

I am like you- more partial to aggressiveness.  Look at the rules these days- EVERYONE is going to give up some big ones.  Allowing 30 points is like allowing 17 a few years ago.  I think turnovers are more important than ever because the rules are built to let offenses move the ball.  We are getting our hands on a lot more balls than we did last year (that's what she said)- need to turn more in turn overs.

intelligence

Much improved, but still not where we wanna be. good to see our players making plays on the ball for once though.

Dropkick

I like what I have seen from Collins so far, I think he will be an asset moving forward

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: rickm1976 on September 29, 2014, 12:14:18 pm

So in other words, if all of these things happened differently, the end result would have still been the same.

Not quite. Both teams struggled mightily to give the game to other team, and we prevailed.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

Piglet Dispersion Syndrome

I have to believe if Tolliver is in there splitting snaps we don't give up at least one TD. Unfortunate injury.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: hogsanity on September 29, 2014, 10:24:34 am

Eric Bennett was the safety that was out of position against LSU last year.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

HF#1

If we could have not shot ourselves in the foot with penalties, it would have been just as lopsided in our favor. 

Truth is, A&M and Arkansas is a dead even matchup.

bigred223

Our guys were gassed on the last two drives. They had been nearly dominant up to that point, but our lack of quality depth at safety killed us. Our offense has to do more when the defense gives them so many chances.

hogsanity

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on September 29, 2014, 04:07:09 pm
Eric Bennett was the safety that was out of position against LSU last year.

I didn't say it was the same player, but the PLAYS were the same.  Safeties out of position.

HF#1

Quote from: hogsanity on September 29, 2014, 04:13:38 pm
I didn't say it was the same player, but the PLAYS were the same.  Safeties out of position.

They were in position the other 55 minutes of the game.

bigred223

Quote from: hogsanity on September 29, 2014, 04:13:38 pm

Do you understand the concept of fatigue? Defenders fell on both big passing plays. Why? They were tired. Once we can run at least two deep at safety that will probably happen less often.

PonderinHog

Quote from: bigred223 on September 29, 2014, 04:19:49 pm
Do you understand the concept of fatigue? Defenders fell on both big passing plays. Why? They were tired. Once we can run at least two deep at safety that will probably happen less often.
We had the ball 10:21 in the fourth quarter.  I disagree that they were gassed.  They got burned on the deep ball - again.

hogsanity

Quote from: HF#1 on September 29, 2014, 04:14:11 pm
They were in position the other 55 minutes of the game.

No. Pope was all alone with the ball 10 yards behind the D and tripped over the 35 yard line. Another one of their receivers, I think it was #11, dropped a long pass and a sure 1st down right before A&M missed their FG. 

HF#1

Quote from: hogsanity on September 29, 2014, 04:30:10 pm
No. Pope was all alone with the ball 10 yards behind the D and tripped over the 35 yard line. Another one of their receivers, I think it was #11, dropped a long pass and a sure 1st down right before A&M missed their FG. 

Uh ok.  So you added 2 plays out of how many?

Switchback

Quote from: hogsanity on September 29, 2014, 04:30:10 pm

Your right..  For whatever reason they didn't connect a couple of times when they got behind our D.  Their QB seemed off, don't know why but he seemed to be off a couple of times.

hogsanity

Quote from: HF#1 on September 29, 2014, 04:35:31 pm
Uh ok.  So you added 2 plays out of how many?

Uh, you said they were in position the other 55 minutes, I brought up 2 plays that showed that was not true.

three hog night

Quote from: hogsanity on September 29, 2014, 10:18:24 am
The defense is better, there is no doubt about that.  The last two years we saw many 4 or 5 yard passes turn into 20+ yard plays by the opponents.  This year, not too many of those so far. 

The main problem on the deep balls seems to be the safety play.  Just like the 2nd long td by A&m, the safety was coming over, but was just late and out of position.  Same problem last year at Rutgers and at LSU.

The safeties are slow at making decisions and not fast enough to make up ground.  Opposing teams can see that our safeties have trouble with multiple decision points from 3 or 4 WR sets that have long routes the CB's release to the safeties.
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 
Posters that think they are Jim Rhome are ruining message boards.

cmiller01

Our defensive philosophy is not the problem.  We need to recruit athletic and physical Dbs with size. Help is coming.

Jek Tono Porkins

We just don't have the talent yet. Based on what we've seen so far, Robb Smith is a pretty good D-coordinator. I agree with the OP that our secondary seems to be playing pretty well. We've had some good players in the secondary in the past (Tramain Thomas) but the last time we had a good UNIT was in 2006. We need a good secondary unit. I think the d-line will shape up well and the linebackers are vastly improved. Secondary is the last piece of the puzzle.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

Cure

The scheme is SOUND, it's just vulnerable over the top if the safeties bite on a double move or you throw quick screens.

Schematically, this is the most sound scheme I've seen on the hill in years.
Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.

onebadrubi

Something many are missing here...

The play that gaines over pursued and A&M  took the distance late is a play we've seen often, just usually on the other side.  Mallett and Wilson (More Mallett) exploited this play, we've seen it a few times in big NFL plays already this year too.  It's a soft spot, that requires a big arm and a big soft handed receiver to go get, that play is so keyed on that plus timing as to be perfect or its a pick.  Remember Cobi exploiting this against LSU often?  Chavis with Claibourne and maybe even mattheiu, these all sec types safeties, yet we exploited it.  It was just as good of a play on offense and great throw and timing by kenny hill as it was Rohan missing the tackle and us being dissapointed.  We are only seeing it because we are mad it happened.  Do I think our safety play is subpar, yes, but that play and WR route is designed to do just that.  It's a timing route that Kenny looks safeties to the middle of the field than on key looks right or left and rifles it in. 

It's the same play Manning ran multiple times to tie up the Denver/Seahawk game against what might be considered the best secondary in football?  Same play Steve Smith took to the house against Carolina recently (was assisted by another receiver/TE tipping it, actually we don't know which raven it was meant for so maybe a bad example). 

three hog night

Quote from: onebadrubi on October 02, 2014, 11:32:23 am
Something many are missing here...

The play that gaines over pursued and A&M  took the distance late is a play we've seen often, just usually on the other side.  Mallett and Wilson (More Mallett) exploited this play, we've seen it a few times in big NFL plays already this year too.  It's a soft spot, that requires a big arm and a big soft handed receiver to go get, that play is so keyed on that plus timing as to be perfect or its a pick.  Remember Cobi exploiting this against LSU often?  Chavis with Claibourne and maybe even mattheiu, these all sec types safeties, yet we exploited it.  It was just as good of a play on offense and great throw and timing by kenny hill as it was Rohan missing the tackle and us being dissapointed.  We are only seeing it because we are mad it happened.  Do I think our safety play is subpar, yes, but that play and WR route is designed to do just that.  It's a timing route that Kenny looks safeties to the middle of the field than on key looks right or left and rifles it in. 

It's the same play Manning ran multiple times to tie up the Denver/Seahawk game against what might be considered the best secondary in football?  Same play Steve Smith took to the house against Carolina recently (was assisted by another receiver/TE tipping it, actually we don't know which raven it was meant for so maybe a bad example).

You're making sense.   That is not accepted here.... LOL
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 
Posters that think they are Jim Rhome are ruining message boards.