Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Funny story about kicking

Started by pignparadise, September 29, 2014, 09:16:26 am

Previous topic - Next topic

pignparadise

I am a former kicker. Kicked a couple years in indoor arena football. I firmly believe college teams should have arena goal posts of 9 foot wide installed on their practice fields. When I was kicking, the college goal posts looked extremely wide to me and I felt I couldn't miss. I was the special teams coach on  a youth team. We practiced on a field with no goal posts but there was a telephone pole nearby. I practiced my kicker to try to hit the telephone pole each practice. Late in the year I finally convinced the head coach to let us try a PAT. True to form the kid squarely hit the right upright. LOL
"The race is long.. and in the end it's only with yourself.....", Baz Luhrman "Sunscreen"

soccerrunner

Sounds like he took your coaching quite literally.

When I coached one of my kid's u-6 soccer teams, I told the team that we had a makeup game next week which prompted the question from one of the players....."you mean we have to wear makeup?"

Gotta be careful what you tell them.

pignparadise

Quote from: soccerrunner on September 29, 2014, 12:00:24 pm
Sounds like he took your coaching quite literally.

When I coached one of my kid's u-6 soccer teams, I told the team that we had a makeup game next week which prompted the question from one of the players....."you mean we have to wear makeup?"

Gotta be careful what you tell them.
reminds me of another coaching gem. I was coaching first base in 8 yr olds. First inning of the season, Alejandro got on first. Told him to go on to third if the ball was hit on the ground. As soon as the ball was hit Alejandro streaked across the pitchers mound directly to third.
"The race is long.. and in the end it's only with yourself.....", Baz Luhrman "Sunscreen"

Hogarusa

I'll ride the wave where it takes me

Martygit

Do you have any eligibility left  ???
RIP OTR, REV

GolfnHog

Way back in the early 70's I worked for the Youth Conservation Corps building retaining walls up on Mt. Magazine. One day the a Regional Director for the Forest Service came to see us.

He made the comment about "why don't we just kick this can over the bluff". After hearing this I made a perfect 12 oz coke can kick in the history of the forest service but his look told me I messed up and realized he was asking why we shouldn't.

Lesson learned: listen carefully before acting
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

Martygit

Quote from: GolfnHog on September 29, 2014, 05:24:51 pm
Way back in the early 70's I worked for the Youth Conservation Corps building retaining walls up on Mt. Magazine. One day the a Regional Director for the Forest Service came to see us.

He made the comment about "why don't we just kick this can over the bluff". After hearing this I made a perfect 12 oz coke can kick in the history of the forest service but his look told me I messed up and realized he was asking why we shouldn't.

Lesson learned: listen carefully before acting

RIP OTR, REV

GolfnHog

Quote from: MartinGit on September 29, 2014, 05:27:30 pm

No but I have a friend that is a psychologist that works with kids. Will that help us?
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

pignparadise

September 29, 2014, 05:36:37 pm #8 Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 05:52:21 pm by pignparadise
Quote from: MartinGit on September 29, 2014, 05:19:54 pm
I wish, but you know it was a relief when I didn't have to deal with 9 foot wide goal posts and coaches who have never kicked. It is one of the most nerve racking positions in sport and virtually no one else on your team really knows what's it like so you are kind of like in a private insane asylum on a desert island.

Martygit

Quote from: GolfnHog on September 29, 2014, 05:29:48 pm
No but I have a friend that is a psychologist that works with kids. Will that help us?

As long as he stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night!
RIP OTR, REV

Martygit

Quote from: pignparadise on September 29, 2014, 05:36:37 pm
I wish, but you know it was a relief when I didn't have to deal with 9 foot wide goal posts and coaches who have never kicked. It is one of the most nerve racking positions in sport and virtually no one else on your team really knows what's it like so you are kind of like in an insane asylum on a desert island.

Of all of the players on the field, I feel sorry for the place kickers more than any - there's such a spotlight on them and their misses are so visible - don't know why anyone would want to be one
RIP OTR, REV

Rzbakfromwaybak

September 29, 2014, 10:52:08 pm #11 Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 11:02:33 pm by Rzbakfromwaybak
Back in the late 70's, friend had a son playing Jr. High football at a small school.  His son played defense, was big but not aggressive. Their team was pretty bad.  They didn't have many fans at the game, & they could get pretty close to the field....there was a fence that many of the parents stood by not far behind the bench.  My friend saw his son let a smaller offensive player push him backwards.  After the whistle blew,  my friend hollered......"Son, don't just stand there & take that, knock that guy down".  The son heard his Dad, charged the player & knocked him down right in front of the ref.  Flag came out since the play had been over for at least 5 seconds.  Coach told my friend to get away from the fence & go sit in the stands.
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

redeye

I've actually wondered if they kick at a smaller target.  Makes perfect sense to me.

Also, I have no idea how much time is spent coaching kickers, but have always suspected many of the problems stem from it not being enough.  It's obviously a nerve-wrecking task, but it just seems like there are too many problems.  And I also kicked some (soccer), so I'm not unfamiliar with the difficulty.

MissippHog

I coach a Pee Wee team, have done so for the past 3 years.  We have "B" team games on Tuesday night so that Monday evening before our first game we told the kids that they need to be there by 6 o'clock for their 7 o'clock game.  And for each of the past three years we've had one of the kids speak up and say "Coach I won't be there because I have to get ready for school at 7 o'clock."   :)

ballz2thewall

jim kelly had a few things to say about field goal kickers.

it is truly the most screwed and screwed up position on the field, all things considered.

other than maybe consulting a shrink, are kickers actually coached at the d1 level?
The rest of the frog.

TOM "tbw1"

Quote from: ballz2thewall on September 29, 2014, 11:12:38 pm
jim kelly had a few things to say about field goal kickers.

it is truly the most screwed and screwed up position on the field, all things considered.

other than maybe consulting a shrink, are kickers actually coached at the d1 level?

So much of kicking is feet position as in golf.  The main reason for success is the innate ability to shut out anything but putting the ball through the uprights.  Not sure how you coach that.
Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

pignparadise

Quote from: TOM "tbw1" on September 29, 2014, 11:21:15 pm
So much of kicking is feet position as in golf.  The main reason for success is the innate ability to shut out anything but putting the ball through the uprights.  Not sure how you coach that.
Actually the plant position is the key. When Henson approached the ball, I thought to myself his plant seemed too close to the ball and I expected a miss. The holder can mess you up too by not putting the ball down exactly where you expect it. That is the biggest advantage of kicking off of a tee. The holder and the kicker know exactly where the ball is being  placed. As for mental gymnastics, my good friend Steve Cox said you have to root against the offense on third down so you can show the world how damn good you are. You must be a showman. Not sure how many kickers truly relish being the potential hero. Maybe the good ones....

HogFansReunited

Quote from: Rzbakfromwaybak on September 29, 2014, 10:52:08 pm
Back in the late 70's, friend had a son playing Jr. High football at a small school.  His son played defense, was big but not aggressive. Their team was pretty bad.  They didn't have many fans at the game, & they could get pretty close to the field....there was a fence that many of the parents stood by not far behind the bench.  My friend saw his son let a smaller offensive player push him backwards.  After the whistle blew,  my friend hollered......"Son, don't just stand there & take that, knock that guy down".  The son heard his Dad, charged the player & knocked him down right in front of the ref.  Flag came out since the play had been over for at least 5 seconds.  Coach told my friend to get away from the fence & go sit in the stands.

My little brother played JV basketball on a small team.  They were playing one of the better teams in their division and this team had one big guy that was really good.  The coach told my brother no matter what, don't let him get the ball past half court.  Next possession they passed the ball to the big guy and my brother runs full speed down court and spears the guy.
My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568

hawgon

I remember in a JV basketball game when I was in about the 9th grade we were down pretty big in the closing minutes.  We started fouling and it worked better than I have ever seen it work on any level.  They started missing free throws and we started scoring.  We came back from about fifteen down with three minutes or so to actually being up by one with about ten seconds.

Except that a bunch of us had fouled out and the last guy on the bench didn't get the memo that we didn't need to foul anymore now that we had the lead.  So, with us up by one with a few seconds left, he tackled their point guard as he tried to bring the ball down the court for a desperation shot.  We lost by one after he sank both free throws.lol

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: pignparadise on September 30, 2014, 08:57:57 am
The holder can mess you up too by not putting the ball down exactly where you expect it. That is the biggest advantage of kicking off of a tee. The holder and the kicker know exactly where the ball is being  placed.

And the snap/hold can throw the kicker off. Even if the kicker is staring intently at the spot/tee, he can see an off-target snap, or a bobble of the hold. Since the kicker generally starts forward with the snap, it is easy to get distracted by anything unexpected in the meantime.

As for last Saturday, it looked like he lined up wrong, from the start. Soccer-style kickers approach the ball at an angle but, the way he was lined up, he looked like a straight-on kicker, ala Steve Cox. Sure enough, he boomed it straight down the hash mark.

Oklahawg

Quote from: thirrdegreetusker on September 30, 2014, 03:08:20 pm
And the snap/hold can throw the kicker off. Even if the kicker is staring intently at the spot/tee, he can see an off-target snap, or a bobble of the hold. Since the kicker generally starts forward with the snap, it is easy to get distracted by anything unexpected in the meantime.

As for last Saturday, it looked like he lined up wrong, from the start. Soccer-style kickers approach the ball at an angle but, the way he was lined up, he looked like a straight-on kicker, ala Steve Cox. Sure enough, he boomed it straight down the hash mark.

I am not a kicker but the plant-foot placement seemed odd, like he opened up early rotating the hips open as well.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

ricepig

Quote from: Oklahawg on September 30, 2014, 03:36:30 pm
I am not a kicker but the plant-foot placement seemed odd, like he opened up early rotating the hips open as well.

Same as my pulled hooks, either OB, or next fairway over.