Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

You can scrutinize in agony or fury over SO MANY things from Saturday's game,

Started by JayBell, September 29, 2014, 09:06:40 am

Previous topic - Next topic

JayBell

and never before has it been so pointless.

Whether you're still burning with rage or wallowing in sadness, you could go back and drive yourself nuts thinking about the missed interceptions, the fumbles under center, Henry running the wrong route on a crucial third down, Allen overthrowing Hatcher, Henson's missed kick, Hedlund's redshirt, Collins losing his footing, Chaney calling plays with weird blocking schemes and, of course, "The Trip."

The reality is this team is miles ahead of where anyone, even the homerest of all homers, thought they would be this season.  As much as we all wanted it to be 2006 (on the field) or 2010, Arkansas is still in the 2009 phase of building a winning program.  Like they said on Saturday, SEC wins are like gold and these players have not yet learned how to earn them.

Instead of focusing on the soul-crushing finish to the game, it is so much more fun to think about how damn good Allen and his receivers looked, the remarkable strides the secondary and linebackers have made in less than a calendar year, and the fact that the vast majority of contributors will return next year.  Starting talent was there for Arkansas in 2012 and 2013, but they had no depth to be able to compete in the SEC.  Bielema's teams will have arguably an unprecedented amount of depth from this year on.

I have avoided Hogville at all costs since Saturday.  I didn't have the heart to watch any more football that day.  A quick look at the first few pages shows a lot of (even more) irrational (than usual) complaining about Saturday's game despite the gargantuan strides Arkansas has made this season.

Complain if you want to, but not only is the whining and griping more pointless than ever, but anyone still holding on to their negativity will become part of a smaller and smaller and smaller percentage of the Arkansas fan base.

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

JayBell

It was another example how most people couldn't be coaches, at least not good ones.  Bielema had to go into that locker room after the game and stay positive for all of those players.

How many of us could have done that immediately after the game?

JayBell

Quote from: Wildhog on September 29, 2014, 09:07:24 amI didn't have any problems with the Fresno St-New Mexico game.

Ha, thanks.  Had to fix that.  I was writing stuff earlier about high school games and just messed it up.

Hoggish1

Excellent post.  But I'm curious why you think negative posters are part of THIS fan base?

They actually are not part of any fan base.  They are nothing more than people worshipers of HN, BP or GM. 

I'm quite sure there is no other fan base so afflicted with people worshipers like the ones that are here just to stir the pot on behalf of an ex coach or ones who are coaching elsewhere.

Mike_e

Quote from: JayBell on September 29, 2014, 09:06:40 am
and never before has it been so pointless.

Whether you're still burning with rage or wallowing in sadness, you could go back and drive yourself nuts thinking about the missed interceptions, the fumbles under center, Henry running the wrong route on a crucial third down, Allen overthrowing Hatcher, Henson's missed kick, Hedlund's redshirt, Collins losing his footing, Chaney calling plays with weird blocking schemes and, of course, "The Trip."

The reality is this team is miles ahead of where anyone, even the homerest of all homers, thought they would be this season.  As much as we all wanted it to be 2006 (on the field) or 2010, Arkansas is still in the 2009 phase of building a winning program.  Like they said on Saturday, SEC wins are like gold and these players have not yet learned how to earn them.

Instead of focusing on the soul-crushing finish to the game, it is so much more fun to think about how damn good Allen and his receivers looked, the remarkable strides the secondary and linebackers have made in less than a calendar year, and the fact that the vast majority of contributors will return next year.  Starting talent was there for Arkansas in 2012 and 2013, but they had no depth to be able to compete in the SEC.  Bielema's teams will have arguably an unprecedented amount of depth from this year on.

I have avoided Hogville at all costs since Saturday.  I didn't have the heart to watch any more football that day.  A quick look at the first few pages shows a lot of (even more) irrational (than usual) complaining about Saturday's game despite the gargantuan strides Arkansas has made this season.

Complain if you want to, but not only is the whining and griping more pointless than ever, but anyone still holding on to their negativity will become part of a smaller and smaller and smaller percentage of the Arkansas fan base.

I'm with you.

The thing and the only thing that these guys have left to learn that the real game is in each and every play.  Not quarters, not halves but the parts that as a whole make up the 60 minutes (or more) that they get to play.

What I think that CBB is trying to get across is that not only is a snap a play but so is each rep on a weight machine, each conditioning run, heck even each day in class and each day's homework.

When these boys learn this they will be men and Heaven help anyone that stands in their way.
Y'all don't straighten up and raise some hell OTR and Rev are goin to put a saddle on Darrel Royal's floating fulminatin head and ride you down!

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Sed76

I was absolutely furious walking out of the stadium Saturday night. But over dinner I remembered this wasn't our first loss and won't be our last. It's just a game...one that we were not supposed to win anyways. I can see improvement in this team but will plead guilty to being one of those who at times thinks it should be coming faster. Bottom line I'll be at the Alabama game ready to cheer our team on. The season is far from over. Just glad that we have an off week. WPS!

Torqued pork

The games that seem to be in hand and slip away are the hardest to take. A win would've put us back on the map.

DoctorSusscrofa

After Saturday there shouldn't be anyone left who thinks we have no chance of winning an SEC game this year.  We may win one, we may win some, we may only come close - nobody knows for certain.  But everybody has to be willing to admit we now have a chance. A decent shot of winning 2-4 more games.  Whether we pull it off or not is still to be determined.  But we know now - without a doubt - this team can play on the same field with quality SEC teams.
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

JayBell

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 29, 2014, 11:12:22 am0-4 in big games with a LEAD!  That is a Damning FACT!

Awesome.  Alright, you ready?  Guess how many SEC games Petrino lost in his first two years when his team held a lead as late as two-thirds of the way through the third quarter?

hint: he lost 3x as many of them in season two than he did in his first season.

JayBell

Quote from: DoctorSusscrofa on September 29, 2014, 11:57:20 amAfter Saturday there shouldn't be anyone left who thinks we have no chance of winning an SEC game this year.  We may win one, we may win some, we may only come close - nobody knows for certain.  But everybody has to be willing to admit we now have a chance. A decent shot of winning 2-4 more games.  Whether we pull it off or not is still to be determined.  But we know now - without a doubt - this team can play on the same field with quality SEC teams.

Which is so much more than anybody was expecting just a month ago.  I thought Arkansas would still struggle in games against Alabama and A&M, and have to fight for what they could get against Georgia, Ole Miss, MSU and Missouri.

But this team can go out on the field and compete with anyone.  That's a huge improvement.

OTTER

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 29, 2014, 11:12:22 am
0-4 in big games with a LEAD!  That is a Damning FACT!
No, it is not.  We are still lacking in depth in the secondary and at wide receiver.  I hated this loss as much as anyone, but I also saw that the Hogs were very much improved and I'm proud of the players and the coaches.  Five plays really hurt us, and two of those were big penalties, two of those were dropped snaps and the missed field goal.  But overall, we played very well.
BE AFRAID!!  Be very, very afraid!  The Hogs are hungry and you look a lot like lunch!