Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

College football news rankings

Started by pignparadise, September 29, 2014, 09:00:29 am

Previous topic - Next topic

pignparadise

"The race is long.. and in the end it's only with yourself.....", Baz Luhrman "Sunscreen"

bigdaddyhawg

That's great, but the list looks WAY skewed to the SEC.  Tennesee a top 25 team?

Sorry, no.  Neither should Mizzou or USCE be in a top 25 list.  Those three teams definitely are not that good.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

Break & Run

Quote from: Michael BernalWhat's your favorite Arkansas tradition?
"I can't be cliché and say 'Call the Hogs,' but I think I have to.  That's just something that sets our university apart.  When you're out on the field and everyone in the stadium stands up, it's amazing.  Even when we're at a football or basketball game, just to see that many people around you doing the same thing for you when you're on the field or for the other guys who are playing, it's pretty awesome."

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: pignparadise on September 29, 2014, 09:00:29 am
SIAP.
http://cfn.scout.com/2/1457378.html

Major Respect for the Hogs
Well someone obviously needs to alert these guys that some Hog fans are totally trashing the team (or the staff or both) for not being able to close out the game this past Saturday. Obviously there's a major disconnect between the respect that much of the national media is saying and what some loyal Arkansas followers think. Wise up all you college football media types out there! Those in the know have spoken!!! :puke:

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on September 29, 2014, 09:08:55 am
Well someone obviously needs to alert these guys that some Hog fans are totally trashing the team (or the staff or both) for not being able to close out the game this past Saturday. Obviously there's a major disconnect between the respect that much of the national media is saying and what some loyal Arkansas followers think. Wise up all you college football media types out there! Those in the know have spoken!!! :puke:

Hog fans are definitively not the worst, but they are a LONG, LONG ways from being the brightest.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on September 29, 2014, 09:14:22 am
Hog fans are definitively not the worst, but they are a LONG, LONG ways from being the brightest.
(Sadly) Ain't that the truth, bro?!

The Hogfather

WOW!  Love it.  Too bad more people don't think like this. 

"You are what your record says you are." is the dumbest mentality out there.

hoglady

Quote from: The Hogfather on September 29, 2014, 09:19:43 am

It may have been true at one time, but with the disparity between the conferences it's not true anymore - at least not in college football.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: hoglady on September 29, 2014, 09:24:53 am
It may have been true at one time, but with the disparity between the conferences it's not true anymore - at least not in college football.

Say what?

You don't see a disparity between the SEC and the other CFB conferences?

razorbacker231

September 29, 2014, 09:30:14 am #9 Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 09:42:07 am by razorbacker231
Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on September 29, 2014, 09:26:10 am
Say what?

I think she meant "you are what your record says you are" may have been true at one time, but not any more because of said disparity...

hoglady

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on September 29, 2014, 09:26:10 am
Say what?

You misunderstood what I said.
I meant the saying is not true anymore due to the disparity between conferences.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

GoHogs1091

Some questionable selections in that Top 10 (particularly Florida State and possibly Oklahoma; will know when they play Baylor). 

Florida State couldn't slow down North Carolina State's Offense, and what is amusing is their coddled QB (Winston) stated after the game in a Press Conference that Florida State has the best Defense in the nation. 

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: hoglady on September 29, 2014, 09:34:35 am
You misunderstood what I said.
I meant the saying is not true anymore due to the disparity between conferences.

Got ya.  I knew I must be misreading something, because I've read way too many solid posts of yours to believe what I was seeing.

WorfHog

Quote from: The Hogfather on September 29, 2014, 09:19:43 am

I just made a donation, earmarked for a new Moral Victory Trophy Case.

The Hogfather

Quote from: WorfHog on September 29, 2014, 12:18:31 pm
I just made a donation, earmarked for a new Moral Victory Trophy Case.

If you "are what your record says you are", we should leave the SEC, kill 12 SWAC teams a year and be the "best team in the country"!  Can't wait!  It's going to be great!

hoghearted

I'm not sure of the ranking specifically, but I agree that the Hogs are better than their record indicates.
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

Atlhogfan1

Some of the rankings seem a little off but what I like about what CFN tries to do is actually rank the teams in order as to whom they think is the best right now.  The polls we are used to are done too much on rep to begin the season and record afterwards. 

A team that hasn't won a conference game in two seasons in the top 10.  I think it shows some respect for how this rebuild is going. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Corkscrew Johnson

This is the first real top 25 I've seen this year.  Not because they rank the Hogs so high, but because of the philosophy that this person is attempting to rank the top 25 best teams, not the top 25 best records.

That is the inherent problem (and contradiction) of the current playoff system.  On the hand, they say the intention is to have a playoff between the best 4 teams in football.  On the other hand, voters continue to overrank teams because they haven't lost, regardless of the quality of opponent, ie, the "they have done everything asked of them" argument. 

The Hogfather

Quote from: Corkscrew Johnson on September 29, 2014, 12:36:10 pm
the "they have done everything asked of them" argument. 

Which is the 2nd dumbest mindset behind "you are what your record says you are" mindset.  It is likely that most with one of these mindsets also has the other.

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: pignparadise on September 29, 2014, 09:00:29 am
SIAP.
http://cfn.scout.com/2/1457378.html

Major Respect for the Hogs

Six of the Hogs remaining 7 opponents are in the Top 18.  Split that schedule and end up 7-5 and they could stay in CFN's Top 10.

hogwild210

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on September 29, 2014, 09:08:55 am

I don't think I've ever seen you post about Razorback football. Do you EVER Talk about the hogs? Or just about how much you dislike the fans?
Quote from: Steef on May 26, 2017, 12:28:23 pm
Still, one can never go wrong with excrement at a time like this.

redeye

That may be a little high, but I definitely think we're a top-25 team.  We're not receiving the votes in the AP or Coaches, but considering how everyone thought we would beat A&M, I assume others think we're good enough to be ranked.

And I do think we're better then our record, because we've played the 2nd toughest schedule in the nation so far and have a winning record to show for it.  We just beat the #6 team in the nation everywhere but on the scoreboard.  If we were in any other conference, we might be undefeated right now, so I think the disparity mean's it's more true.