Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Regardless..........I'm a Skipper fan!!!

Started by Tweeter, September 29, 2014, 08:23:33 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Tweeter

I love Dan Skipper.......In fact he might be my favorite player on the team.....I know he screwed up on the trip play but I wish we had 10 more guys just like him.

Sow’sEar

Vantage 8 dude

DS is a great player. That won't change just because of the two penalties the other day. Interesting how the site was gushing about his play after the TT game but now, surprise surprise, some want to hang him for his mistakes. Then again why would that shock anyone?  Some on here are quicker to turn on a player faster than a rabid dog on his owner.

vegas hog

I love skipper. He plays with great effort. But that was stupid. Toss away from you and you are doing that. There was no way that guy was going to make the play. Overall, we are getting a lot out of the team. I GET ANNOYED with fans ripping the coaches. THE FACT IS RIGHT NOW WE HAVE LESS EXPERIENCED TALENT THAN ANYONE IN THE WEST. Winning is a process and they are learning. Right now we can compete with anybody but we cant get over the hump because we beat ourselves. Go Dan and go hogs

memphishog

i don't think anyone on this board feels differently. he is a tremendous talent and it great to have him at arkansas. he is now a target. his play on the field is living up to his reputation. he will be fine, and seems like this staff will hold him accountable. that trip can't happen.

bigdaddyhawg

It's hard to remember this kid is just a third into his sophomore year.  He's going to get better and better.

But he has to learn from is mistakes.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

acua

Skipper the Tripper!  I'm a fan too, like his gritty play, he's going to be a legendary success around here when his career as a Razorback is over.

rljjr

I just watched that alleged tripping call again ... and while a lot of you will say that it was a blatant trip I just didn't see it -- at least from the CBS camera angle. Anyway, I thought a trip meant you had to touch somebody with your leg. I sure didn't see a whole lot of contact. Count me in as a huge Skipper fan.

Uncle SI

Skipper is still one of the most aggressive Hogs we've had in a long time. He's young and has a lot to learn. This one play did not cost us the game. Not scoring a point in the 4th and allowing the Aggs to score so quickly was a bigger dagger. Let's get behind this team bc without this brutal schedule this is a top 15 team.
First time, long time, great topic, love the show.

Hoggish1

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on September 29, 2014, 08:30:29 am
DS is a great player. That won't change just because of the two penalties the other day. Interesting how the site was gushing about his play after the TT game but now, surprise surprise, some want to hang him for his mistakes. Then again why would that shock anyone?  Some on here are quicker to turn on a player faster than a rabid dog on his owner.

Dan Skipper is a great kid and football player.

Those you mention that have 'turned on him' are just using his two penalties as reasons to carp about BB. 

Thank you for not calling them fans of the program! +1

Mike_e

I'm in.

Bet he never makes that mistake again.  ;)
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

hoghearted

Quote from: memphishog on September 29, 2014, 08:50:47 am
i don't think anyone on this board feels differently. he is a tremendous talent and it great to have him at arkansas. he is now a target. his play on the field is living up to his reputation. he will be fine, and seems like this staff will hold him accountable. that trip can't happen.
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

go hogues

So glad we have him. Just needs to keep his aggression in check and he may well go down as one of the best OL to ever play here.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

SemperFi

Who's hating on Dan Skipper? We've got to grow up and get past this kind of crap!!! Without him we have a good OL, but with him we have an exceptional OL. I'll take exceptional. WPS!
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

GuvHog

Quote from: rljjr on September 29, 2014, 09:37:28 am
I just watched that alleged tripping call again ... and while a lot of you will say that it was a blatant trip I just didn't see it -- at least from the CBS camera angle. Anyway, I thought a trip meant you had to touch somebody with your leg. I sure didn't see a whole lot of contact. Count me in as a huge Skipper fan.

I agree. It was more like an "attempted" trip. Two observations:

(A) The A&M player didn't fall nor did the attempted trip slow him down.

(B) The ball carrier was 40 yards down the field when the attempted trip occurred so it had no affect on the play.

Does anyone honestly believe that if A&M had the ball, the official still would have made the tripping call??? I don't.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

HF#1

Quote from: GuvHog on September 29, 2014, 10:08:45 am

(B) The ball carrier was 40 yards down the field when the attempted trip occurred so it had no affect on the play.

Does anyone honestly believe that if A&M had the ball, the official still would have made the tripping call??? I don't.

Wrong again fella... 

Skipper made two seperate attempts to trip the guy.  The first one was a whiff and wasn't called.  It was the second attempt that made contact and got the flag. 

It was a legit call and a freshman mistake by a freshman.  It happens.  Learn from it and move on.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

TheGreatHogsby

I also like Skipper. He just need to cut the stupid penalties and He will be a great player.

Pigstie

What the hell were you watching?? He tripped the guy twice because he got beat!  Didn't succeed the first time.... and then shook his head in denial after the flag! He's a great player that probably cost us the game.
The views and opinions of this poster are personal only, and are not one of a professional coach or X Box player.  Beware the Mall Cop.

Ragnar Hogbrok

With a guy that plays as tough and mean as he does, I'll take the good with the bad.

We've needed a guy like him with his attitude for a long time.  He just needs to polish his game and know when it's time to be bad.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

three hog night

Quote from: Uncle SI on September 29, 2014, 09:40:52 am
Skipper is still one of the most aggressive Hogs we've had in a long time. He's young and has a lot to learn. This one play did not cost us the game. Not scoring a point in the 4th and allowing the Aggs to score so quickly was a bigger dagger. Let's get behind this team bc without this brutal schedule this is a top 15 team.

Agreed
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 
Posters that think they are Jim Rhome are ruining message boards.

The Kig

Go watch the gif in the other thread... Obvious trip.

Still a huge fan of his.  Even the trip shows that mean aggressive streak that has everyone so pumped about his potential.  CBB hit it on the head when he said he needs to coach him better.  You don't ever want to coach that mean streak out of him, just teach him how to control/channel it to some degree.  (have to learn to punch em in the nuts when you're at the bottom of the pile... I kid, sorta)

Skipper knows the impact that singular action had on the game.  He is a beast and will be even better for this experience.
Poker Porker

rljjr

Quote from: Pigstie on September 29, 2014, 11:09:55 am
What the hell were you watching?? He tripped the guy twice because he got beat!  Didn't succeed the first time.... and then shook his head in denial after the flag! He's a great player that probably cost us the game.

None of that is on the video I saw. What are you watching? Seriously. I only saw the CBS feed and the tiny snippet of replay.

SkeeterHawg

Go to the sticky at the top of the board and watch the replay posted in that thread.  Clearly shows the foul.

The Kig

Quote from: The Chief on September 29, 2014, 11:19:02 am
With a guy that plays as tough and mean as he does, I'll take the good with the bad.

We've needed a guy like him with his attitude for a long time.  He just needs to polish his game and know when it's time to be bad.

Amen brother...

Certainly better than the matador Ole' we have seen in the past.  He tosses people around, which is why he got frustrated by being on the ground on a play he knew was designed to go for big yards.
Poker Porker

acey33

I will always be a Skipper Fan. He made a mistake and hopefully learns from it...WPS

LRHawg

9/10 times that isn't called because the play is already 15 yards down field. I  :puke: when it happened because I knew we had them and had just given them their entry back into the game.

OKC

I love his aggressiveness, energy, and his "engage until the whistle blows" attitude. I'm not going to pretend like I am an expert in oline play or blocking schemes, but I can recognize when someone is working hard. He is all hog and has bought into the Razorbacks direction...something that is contagious among players. I am grateful he is a Razorback!

malibu327

This. I'm so mad at his moment of stupidity, but I'm still a Skipper fan.

BorderPatrol

WTH? Come on GUV, that is a little far fetched, even for you.

bp

AugustaHog

I love Skip but that was a selfish, boneheaded play.  You can't do stupid things like that and beat good teams.  I hope he learns from this and we dont continue to beat ourselves.

gmarv

how is it that any hog fan has not seen the second part of trippergate by now?
skipper made a stupid play he,ll learn from it,just like everyone of us has had to do.

Slimac4

Lots of people want to put blame on the kid but really his pentalies were no bigger than the two botched snaps... Lots of blame to go around and tons of teaching points for our staff.

HF#1

It was a selfish act and a teaching moment for Bielema.  Thought Mike Irwin had a great point on this play earlier on the Game On radio show.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

trippigs

Of course you are. Anyone who isn't just doesn't know football.

GolfnHog

Absolutely the right call. All DS had to do to keep #33 from moving forward was keep rolling left in an effort to get up and his bulk, legs and backside is going to impede #33 from any backside pursuit w/o the need to trip him.

lesson learned and there is no doubt that DS is beating himself up worse than anyone else could. He'll learn from it, I have no doubt. He's too darned good.
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

Justifiable Hogicide

DOGALUM

I think we all are.

With the obvious exception of those in our midst who have an evil agenda.
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

rljjr

Quote from: SkeeterHawg on September 29, 2014, 11:24:30 am
Go to the sticky at the top of the board and watch the replay posted in that thread.  Clearly shows the foul.

Thanks. I'm trying to see it, honestly. I just don't. I guess I have seen far worse tripping attempts NOT called. It looks ticky-tack. I can see the holding penalty on him. I could see our Facemask that wasn't called.

DeltaBoy

Big Dan the Man Skipper will redeem himself this SEASON!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: rljjr on September 29, 2014, 09:37:28 am

See Mike Irwin's forum...it was blatant and uncalled for like Coach B. said...
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

bigdaddyhawg

It was a piss poor attempt at a trip, and it took me 0.02 seconds to see it was a trip and should have been called.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

rljjr

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on September 29, 2014, 03:47:16 pm
See Mike Irwin's forum...it was blatant and uncalled for like Coach B. said...

OK, thanks. I finally found the right clip. Yeah. Ugh. That's hard to watch knowing what it meant. Good call by the refs.

hammer66

After watching the replay, I believe Skipper was just ticked off that he got thrown to the ground. He doesn't appear to be the type of man who takes to getting manhandled very well. His momentum was why he was thrown to the ground but it looked as though he just retaliated in the only way he could being on the ground.

I'm not making an excuse for him, just guessing why he did what he did. He's a fighter and that is something a lot of fighters would do almost instinctively. He seems to be very intelligent as well so I would be willing to bet we will never see that kind of boneheaded move again!!

farmhawg

Quote from: Tweeter on September 29, 2014, 08:23:33 am
I love Dan Skipper.......In fact he might be my favorite player on the team.....I know he screwed up on the trip play but I wish we had 10 more guys just like him.
Totally agree!
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

HogimusMaximus

Quote from: Tweeter on September 29, 2014, 08:23:33 am

I wish we had 84 more guys like him.  Can you imagine a team made up entirely of 6'10", 325 lb behemoths.  We  would score on every drive.  Sure our corners and safeties would not be very fast, but it would take just one stop to win the game.  And we would never kick an extra point....go for two after every TD. 

Mike Irwin

His own coaches are holding him accountable. Bielema called him out after the game. He also said he had not coached him properly.

Skipper has an anger management problem on the field.  His emotions overrule his head. It's not a minor problem. He's been on the verge of hurting them badly for some time now.

Last week Sam Pittman said of Skipper, "He scares me sometimes." The reporters around him snickered. They also snickered when Skipper admitted that Pittman tells him that in almost every O-line meeting.

This is not a joke.

He has the potential to be an 1st team All-American lineman but it won't happen if he doesn't take this problem seriously and if the coaches don't make him take it seriously.

farmhawg

They get paid very well to get his attention..... ???
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

three hog night

He has instilled a toughness we need.  He has added the nasty attitude that our team needs after the shell shock of Harleygate.
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 
Posters that think they are Jim Rhome are ruining message boards.

Razorpigg

Quote from: Mike Irwin on September 29, 2014, 06:22:59 pm
His own coaches are holding him accountable. Bielema called him out after the game. He also said he had not coached him properly.

Skipper has an anger management problem on the field.  His emotions overrule his head. It's not a minor problem. He's been on the verge of hurting them badly for some time now.

Last week Sam Pittman said of Skipper, "He scares me sometimes." The reporters around him snickered. They also snickered when Skipper admitted that Pittman tells him that in almost every O-line meeting.

This is not a joke.

He has the potential to be an 1st team All-American lineman but it won't happen if he doesn't take this problem seriously and if the coaches don't make him take it seriously.

LMAO!  Skipper will be just fine.  You read too much into things sometimes. He will be a 1st round draft pick (high), barring injury, next year or the year after that whichever he decides. The guy had a "bad game", and you and the rest of the media should leave it at that. 

Hoggish1