Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

4th Quarter

Started by Razorback_Mack, September 29, 2014, 04:08:34 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Razorback_Mack

We've got to finish an SEC game in the 4th quarter to get over the hump. It's got nothing to do with not liking the coach or system. We haven't showed up in the 4th quarter of a SEC game since Bret has been here. Until we do, we're not a threat. Call it fatigue, call it lack of depth, lack of adjustments, whatever you want to. We have to get over that 4th quarter hump on O and D and the wins will come in bunches. Good teams find a way to win, bad teams find a way to lose.

We've now been outscored 96-14 in the 4th quarter and overtime of SEC games during  Coach B's tenure. One TD was a 3rd quarter drive last year against Auburn capped by a TD on the first play of the 4th. It's obviously and emphasis to him. He always talks about playing a 4 quarter game.  If we had played simply mediocre in the 10 SEC games since he's been here we'd have won 4-5 of them.

I've seen us get very tired particularly up front on both sides during the 4th, coupled with the fact that we just don't know how to win. It's been so long that we've forgotten how to put one away when our foot is on our opponents neck.

What say you?  :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: Go Hogs

Biggus Piggus

Inability to move the ball is the root of the problem.
[CENSORED]!

Prestworthy

When we have them by the throat, we can't let up.  Play calling became very predictable in the 4th quarter and we can't rely on our kicker.  That 4th and 5 should have been a play action or toss with Marshall. 

Also, why not go 5 wide every once in awhile and let Allen run?  He didn't scramble a single time Saturday.  Gotta use the weapons you have.

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 29, 2014, 05:56:37 am
Inability to move the ball is the root of the problem.
It really scares me to see us with the ball in a 2 minute situation with a chance to win the game. I've seen no improvement in that area. When we got the ball with about 2-3 minutes left I cringed. That series was a joke. My buddy said "we just need to get it to overtime." I said "ok nutt." Not trying to make that comparison but it was eerily similar. Is there any hope for our 2 minute offense?

three hog night

I think it is a combination of things- Passing game, youth and fragile psyches.

Against good teams, our passing game can not bail out our running game when the defense puts 8-9 in run stop.  Our Oline is good enough to give Brandon the time, Brandon is good enough to get the ball to the WR's, but our WR's are the weak link.  Our TE's have bailed out our WRs this year.   The defenses are not scared of our WRs so they play us physical to disrupt timing.  Our passing game consistently works on play action, but not very well on obvious passing downs.

We are way too young and fragile.   We have had the rare turmoil of Petrino's exit that was very traumatic for the fans, so think how bad it was in the locker room.   We had 2 losing seasons after that trauma.   Our talent level was not good for ANY system when CBB got here, so he signed some good HS players that are in the 2 deep.   This year our 2 deep is dominated by recent Jucos, True Freshmen, RS FR and last years FR that are NOW Sophomores.   We don't know how to win...YET.
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 
Posters that think they are Jim Rhome are ruining message boards.

Ex-Trumpet

Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Kevin

If our receivers have problems getting off the line, then why don't we put one in motion or stack them. So, they cannot get jammed
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

acey33

I think the Big Hogs on the OL may have gotten a little tired at the end of the game. Question can we find someone to cover the middle of the field on Defense 25-30 yds down the field besides a MLB?

Pigsknuckles

It's called throwing away what has got us to that point in the game, and being stubborn about going back to it when the unneeded adjustments don't work.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"