Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is it possible that BA...

Started by Wright43, September 29, 2014, 02:22:52 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Wright43

...is playing it TOO safe?

Let me preface this by saying I have been very pleased with BA's play overall and I think most of his struggles are due to the WRs and occasionally the pass protection.

However, I've been noticing (especially in the aTm game) that it seems as soon as he feels the pressure he just throws it away immediately. Obviously this is better than a pick, but he never seems to make a play with it. And I don't think he's scared to hang in and take a hit, it's just like he gives up on the play too fast it seems.

Am I the only one who noticed this?

AloRaptor

Tick Hog

Quote from: Wright43 on September 29, 2014, 02:22:52 am

Let me preface this by saying I have been very pleased with BA's play overall and I think most of his struggles are due to the WRs and occasionally the pass protection.

However, I've been noticing (especially in the aTm game) that it seems as soon as he feels the pressure he just throws it away immediately. Obviously this is better than a pick, but he never seems to make a play with it. And I don't think he's scared to hang in and take a hit, it's just like he gives up on the play too fast it seems.

No I've noticed it but I assume he's coached to play that way.

Prestworthy

He needs a few designed runs out of the spread to keep the linebackers keyed on him.  He has the speed to do some serious damage if the coaches would use it.

incHOGnito

Quote from: Prestworthy on September 29, 2014, 06:22:50 am
He needs a few designed runs out of the spread to keep the linebackers keyed on him.  He has the speed to do some serious damage if the coaches would use it.

Not sure about designed runs, but he it appeared he had some opportunities on Saturday to scramble and pick up a first down or two and he never pulled it down and took off. He is too important to our team at this time to risk him getting hurt and was probably instructed to throw it away of there was any risk at all. He may not be the best QB in the country but without him we would be in a world of hurt.

three hog night

Quote from: incHOGnito on September 29, 2014, 06:46:59 am
Not sure about designed runs, but he it appeared he had some opportunities on Saturday to scramble and pick up a first down or two and he never pulled it down and took off. He is too important to our team at this time to risk him getting hurt and was probably instructed to throw it away of there was any risk at all. He may not be the best QB in the country but without him we would be in a world of hurt.

I saw him tuck and run in the previous games with success, but CBB stated that he got on to him about running against NSU and NIU.   I think you could see that he has been coached NOT to run.
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 
Posters that think they are Jim Rhome are ruining message boards.

Bacons Rebellion

He ran too soon the one time last week near the NIU goal line -- when he tucked it and tried to go up the middle.  I feel he was coached against doing that, and maybe took it too far.

HOGINTENNESSEE

He is 1000% better than last year.

However, we still struggle in normal drop back/shotgun pass situations. Our WR have trouble getting open without the PA game IMO.

Sourpuss

I can't imagine why Brandon wouldn't just play with reckless abandon for our fan base. 

The fans here have been VERY understanding and supportive of him in the past.  Slow to criticize and patient with his every move.  Especially last year.

Why just last year he laid it on the line and played with, what was now obviously, a severe injury!  And each time he marched on to the field and gave his all, competing against D1 athletes and leading his team under imperfect circumstances our fans handled it with class and appreciation. 

Whereas other fan bases might have filleted him on the radio in message boards, and even a few times from the stands, we didn't.  Hey its not like anyone egged his truck or set it on fire. 

I can't figure out why he'd be afraid to make a mistake in front of us!?  ::) ::)

BRHogfan

We don't know what they tell him in the film room, but I would rather see him throw it away safe than have another pick 6 like the Auburn game.

Don't forget how he was first pressed into service after watching Tyler Wilson getting murdered on every single throw.

Live to fight another day I say.

Wildhog

BA's only doing what he's told.  This loss isn't on him.  He's doing just fine.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

code red

I think it possible we have no deep threat.  We will see 8 man boxes vs. Bama they are going to screw down safties and stop our run.  BA is going to have to win some games for us.  On a positive note....he did play well through 3.5 qtrs.  He has to learn how to get mean and finish.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

hawgon

Absolutely.  If you coach a guy by telling him that you don't need him to make plays, just drive the bus, you shouldn't be surprised when you get a guy who looks like a bus driver instead of a race car driver.  The QB needs supreme confidence.  You don't build confidence in a guy by coaching him in a manner that lets him know you think he is not as good.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Wildhog on September 29, 2014, 09:09:26 am

I feel sorry for the guy.

He does exactly what he's told and they put him in some tough situations, especially with where we are at WR.  We really need some guys who can get open in one-on-one situations. 

Wildhog

Quote from: The Hogfather on September 29, 2014, 09:15:17 am
I feel sorry for the guy.

He does exactly what he's told and they put him in some tough situations, especially with where we are at WR.  We really need some guys who can get open in one-on-one situations. 

I hate our routes.  And when we absolutely HAD to have a first down Saturday, why are we running outs short of the sticks?  Are we expecting Hollister to make guys miss?
1909/1964/1965/1977

PorkRinds

Quote from: Wildhog on September 29, 2014, 09:09:26 am

I understand what you're saying, but how do you know what check downs and audibles BA is making at the line?  On all those plays where everyone is saying "we should have run the ball", how do we know that a run wasn't called, and BA changed it because he didn't like the look he got?  We simply don't.  Which is why all the "it's the playcalling" stuff is pointless.  We, from the fan perspective, have no idea what went wrong other than it didn't work.  We can't blame BA, or Chaney, or anyone for that matter.  Only the players and coaches know what went wrong, and they aren't going to throw each other under the bus. 

Wildhog

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 29, 2014, 09:20:15 am
I understand what you're saying, but how do you know what check downs and audibles BA is making at the line?  On all those plays where everyone is saying "we should have run the ball", how do we know that a run wasn't called, and BA changed it because he didn't like the look he got?  We simply don't.  Which is why all the "it's the playcalling" stuff is pointless.  We, from the fan perspective, have no idea what went wrong other than it didn't work.  We can't blame BA, or Chaney, or anyone for that matter.  Only the players and coaches know what went wrong, and they aren't going to throw each other under the bus. 

Seriously?  Look, I love Bielema, but it just appears he and Chaney's style don't mesh very well.  We all discussed this when he was hired. 
1909/1964/1965/1977

PorkRinds

Quote from: Wildhog on September 29, 2014, 09:16:20 am
I hate our routes.  And when we absolutely HAD to have a first down Saturday, why are we running outs short of the sticks?  Are we expecting Hollister to make guys miss?

Again, how do we know what the original route was?  How do we know Hollister ran it correctly?  How do we know it wasn't supposed to have a bit longer to develop and get past the chains, but BA had to get it out there quicker to avoid the pass rush? How do we know Hollister wasn't the 3rd option and the first two who were past the chains were covered?  We simply DON'T.  Everything you say, and blame on Chaney is an assumption on your part.  And in fact, a bad one.  I assume that a guy with that much experience knows we need to get past the chains.  If you can I know that, the OC certainly does.  We simply don't know why it played out that way, but because of your dislike of Chaney, you're going to blame it on him. 

PorkRinds

Quote from: Wildhog on September 29, 2014, 09:21:09 am
Seriously?  Look, I love Bielema, but it just appears he and Chaney's style don't mesh very well.  We all discussed this when he was hired.

Seriously?  I think they mesh just fine.  Chaney called a game that put us in a great spot to win.  We were two penalties and a missed field goal from beating #6.  Chaney is doing just fine. You discussed your theory of their styles not meshing well before they played a down of football.  Now, when things go wrong, you want it to support your preconceived notions. 

hawgon

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 29, 2014, 09:25:06 am
Again, how do we know what the original route was?  How do we know Hollister ran it correctly?  How do we know it wasn't supposed to have a bit longer to develop and get past the chains, but BA had to get it out there quicker to avoid the pass rush? How do we know Hollister wasn't the 3rd option and the first two who were past the chains were covered?  We simply DON'T.  Everything you say, and blame on Chaney is an assumption on your part.  And in fact, a bad one.  I assume that a guy with that much experience knows we need to get past the chains.  If you can I know that, the OC certainly does.  We simply don't know why it played out that way, but because of your dislike of Chaney, you're going to blame it on him.

You might be right, but we are in our 4th game of our second season with this regime.  If the players aren't coached well enough to execute the play that was called in the correct manner backwards and forwards by this point, then the coaches bear just as much responsibility for that as they do if they called the wrong play.

PorkRinds

Quote from: hawgon on September 29, 2014, 09:26:57 am
You might be right, but we are in our 4th game of our second season with this regime.  If the players aren't coached well enough to execute the play that was called in the correct manner backwards and forwards by this point, then the coaches bear just as much responsibility for that as they do if they called the wrong play.

Another assumption.  We don't know what happened.  I was just throwing scenarios out there.  My point is that it's easy to start throwing blame around, but only the players and coaches know what really happened, and they aren't going to discuss it anywhere but the film room. 

hawgon

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 29, 2014, 09:30:25 am
Another assumption.  We don't know what happened.  I was just throwing scenarios out there.  My point is that it's easy to start throwing blame around, but only the players and coaches know what really happened, and they aren't going to discuss it anywhere but the film room.

You can throw scenarios out there all day, but throwing four yards short of the sticks on 3rd down is kind of football 101.  Either it was a poor play call, or it wasn't executed correctly.  It really is that simple.

PorkRinds

Quote from: hawgon on September 29, 2014, 09:32:51 am
You can throw scenarios out there all day, but throwing four yards short of the sticks on 3rd down is kind of football 101.  Either it was a poor play call, or it wasn't executed correctly.  It really is that simple.

Did you see the other receivers on the play? Were they beyond the chains?  Is your contention that every 3rd down pass should have every receiver beyond the chains?

The Hogfather

The Hogfather

Overall, I like the mesh between Bielema and Chaney.  However, there are definitely things I do not like about Chaney.  One thing that scares me is that I think Chaney and Pittman are somewhat of a "package deal".  Maybe it just seems that way and they just enjoy working with each other.  If we get rid of Chaney (I'm not advocating this), does Pittman decide to leave as well?  If we get rid of Chaney, who could we get that would be a better fit?  Chaney seems to be a pretty good fit, overall.

We just HAVE TO get our players and coaches to get into a mentality before a game where no matter what happens, we keep doing what we came in there to do.  It seems like everytime we get a lead, we tense up and go into a shell.  We start becoming predictable on offense, our defense starts reverting back to old habits (safeties), and we start missing FGs, etc.

pondwater jack

are we third in the nation in scoring?
Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on February 13, 2015, 07:56:19 am
I cry at the thought of our creator looking down from on high relishing in two of his more majestic creations (Jack Blasingame and Mike Irwin) pulling together for the benefit of all razorback nation. Neigh..! mankind...
Quote from: Fort Dweller on February 14, 2015, 10:04:29 pm
And they slowly slink back to their holes.  Well done Madden and Watkins.

code red

BA's performance was flawless...until the botched snaps.  I was fairly disappointed in those.  Those very possibly cost us the game.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Rzbakfromwaybak

Well.....what do you think the coaches have told BA to do if the receivers are covered & he is feeling pressure?  Take a sack & lose yardage....throw a low percentage ball & risk an interception & turn over....try & scramble for the first down....or throw it away & only lose a down?

How many on here... including  you.... would be screaming about him throwing interception's,  if he forces some passes into coverage....or "try's to make a play with it"...& loses yardage, fumbles or gets hurt.  He has made several good gains running the ball this year, even a couple of touchdown's.  If he gets hurt, our chances go way down for the rest of the season.  Not a good gamble. We don't have anyone behind him...near his level this year.
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

hawgwild child

Th only thing I would like to see more which isn't necessarily BA's fault is more of a check down option to our RB's.  Dont think I've seen a play with a check down to a RB

bphi11ips

Quote from: Surfing8 on September 29, 2014, 04:07:30 pm
Allen definitely erred on the side of caution on multiple passing attempts in the 2nd half yesterday.  Too much IMO.  Whether this is because of inexperience, coaching, or WRs not getting open can be debated for days.

The bottom line however is that outside of play-action we have an almost non-existent passing game.  Until that's addressed opposing teams WILL adjust at halftime to stop the run, and our SEC peers WILL have the athletes to make that happen. 

Right on the mark and to the point. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

HF#1

Allen definitely erred on the side of caution on multiple passing attempts in the 2nd half yesterday.  Too much IMO.  Whether this is because of inexperience, coaching, or WRs not getting open can be debated for days.

The bottom line however is that outside of play-action we have an almost non-existent passing game.  Until that's addressed opposing teams WILL adjust at halftime to stop the run, and our SEC peers WILL have the athletes to make that happen. 

Caution is better than interception or pick 6. 

I have no problem with him throwing it to mom and dad in the stands if nothing is open.  Completion % be darned.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

PonderinHog

Quote from: HF#1 on September 29, 2014, 04:36:43 pm
Caution is better than interception or pick 6. 

I have no problem with him throwing it to mom and dad in the stands if nothing is open.  Completion % be darned.
I hope he doesn't take out another one of our safeties.  We're kinda thin there.

ShadowTheHedgehog

BA has really nice stats on PA passes, but not as good on flat out passing plays. It was obvious that ATM was selling out trying to stop the run. I have very seldom seen a team with all 11 stacking the box. Looked like a goal line D. I thought Chaney said that we were ready for such situations. Overall I think the playcalling was OK, and we should has won, but the disadvantages of playing a bunch of young players came back and bit us in the behind last Saturday. It will get better, now we have two weeks to prepare for Bama, and maybe re-evaluate the RS of Hedlund.

PonderinHog

Quote from: ShadowTheHedgehog on September 29, 2014, 04:38:28 pm
BA has really nice stats on PA passes, but not as good on flat out passing plays. It was obvious that ATM was selling out trying to stop the run. I have very seldom seen a team with all 11 stacking the box. Looked like a goal line D. I thought Chaney said that we were ready for such situations. Overall I think the playcalling was OK, and we should has won, but the disadvantages of playing a bunch of young players came back and bit us in the behind last Saturday. It will get better, now we have two weeks to prepare for Bama, and maybe re-evaluate the RS of Hedlund.
Think what this O-line will be like when Skipper and Kirland are seniors.  The pipeline should be established by then, too.

Fayettechill14

Nobody's open. Nothing he can do if his WRs can't get any separation. Need more talent at WR badly. It's coming.

ShadowTheHedgehog

Quote from: PonderinHog on September 29, 2014, 04:41:04 pm
Think what this O-line will be like when Skipper and Kirland are seniors.  The pipeline should be established by then, too.

Yup. Who do you think will be the gunslinger in two years? AA RP TY?

HF#1

Quote from: Surfing8 on September 29, 2014, 04:45:52 pm

We can't move the ball through the air when we have to. 

That will change when we have more people that can get open without the help of Jim Chaney's scheme.  We have nobody that can create space.  Hatcher is the only guy that can do it on occasion.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

PonderinHog

Quote from: ShadowTheHedgehog on September 29, 2014, 04:46:50 pm
Yup. Who do you think will be the gunslinger in two years? AA RP TY?
That's a tough one, man.  Whoever wins the job.  A dual threat QB in this offense is intriguing, but if Storey is everything he's cracked up to be, he may win the job.

Wright43

Quote from: Rzbakfromwaybak on September 29, 2014, 03:59:51 pm
Well.....what do you think the coaches have told BA to do if the receivers are covered & he is feeling pressure?  Take a sack & lose yardage....throw a low percentage ball & risk an interception & turn over....try & scramble for the first down....or throw it away & only lose a down?

How many on here... including  you.... would be screaming about him throwing interception's,  if he forces some passes into coverage....or "try's to make a play with it"...& loses yardage, fumbles or gets hurt.  He has made several good gains running the ball this year, even a couple of touchdown's.  If he gets hurt, our chances go way down for the rest of the season.  Not a good gamble. We don't have anyone behind him...near his level this year.

I'm not disagreeing at all, I'll take him throwing it away over throwing a pick 10 times out of 10. I'm just saying when it seems like 50/50 throw it away or try and make a play-its always throw it away. I'm just wondering if its confidence, coaching, or lack of WR separation. Probably a mix of all 3. Obviously there isn't always a play to be made, but when there's a chance at a play it seems he just instinctively throws it away instead.

I'm not necessarily complaining about this-obviously I want the best outcome possible on each play but if the best outcome isn't available and the other options are throw it away or toss a pick, I'll choose throw it away-I just wanted to see if I was the only one noticing it.

Wright43

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 29, 2014, 04:42:45 pm
Nobody's open. Nothing he can do if his WRs can't get any separation. Need more talent at WR badly. It's coming.

That's what I'm thinking is the biggest reason too. I think there are times he could throw a ball that his receivers could make a play on, but he doesn't trust them to make a play and doesn't want to throw a pick. Hopefully KJ and Jojo are the real deal, and we get a few more for next year too. WR's and CBs/Safeties are what we need

ICEman

He needs to tuck it and run on occasion in lieu of chunking the ball out of bounds on 3rd downs.
"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."

HF#1

Quote from: Surfing8 on September 29, 2014, 04:50:22 pm
Austin Allen will likely transfer.  It's a shame he didn't get a shot last year, because the season was quite literally shot. 

If the hype is any indication it seems Storey is probably the front-runner. 

Seems we'll have no excuse not to have an excellent QB with those 3 options though. 

I think he stays and competes his butt off. 

hawgmasta

About the running thing; I think BA could run for some major yards and they should design some plays for him. He is no $Cam Newton though 6-2 and 210ish can get knocked around pretty hard though.

For those that remember didn't BA run a legitimate 4.7? That's some pretty good speed for a QB if that's laser timed.

ShadowTheHedgehog

Quote from: PonderinHog on September 29, 2014, 04:55:53 pm
That's a tough one, man.  Whoever wins the job.  A dual threat QB in this offense is intriguing, but if Storey is everything he's cracked up to be, he may win the job.

It is going to be interesting, I feel bad for whoever ends up at the bottom of the list.

hawgmasta

Quote from: hawgmasta on September 29, 2014, 10:18:40 pm
About the running thing; I think BA could run for some major yards and they should design some plays for him. He is no $Cam Newton though 6-2 and 210ish can get knocked around pretty hard.

For those that remember didn't BA run a legitimate 4.7? That's some pretty good speed for a QB if that's laser timed.

ShadowTheHedgehog

Quote from: hawgmasta on September 29, 2014, 10:18:40 pm
About the running thing; I think BA could run for some major yards and they should design some plays for him. He is no $Cam Newton though 6-2 and 210ish can get knocked around pretty hard though.

After last year's QB issues do you really want to risk BA getting hurt? I see what you are saying and think he has the speed, but I am just not sold on the idea of BA taking too many unnecessary hits.

hawgmasta

Quote from: ShadowTheHedgehog on September 29, 2014, 10:22:01 pm
After last year's QB issues do you really want to risk BA getting hurt? I see what you are saying and think he has the speed, but I am just not sold on the idea of BA taking too many unnecessary hits.

That's true. If he is the starter next year (after his start this year I'm assuming he will be) and somebody is pushing him hard just run the sh*t out of him until it's time. I think BA can outrun most LB's.

redeye

He's always done this.  Of course he's coached to get rid of the ball under pressure, but he often either a) throws it away too soon or b) forces an interception.  He's been much better with b and a, but he still gets rid of it too soon, at times.  I think it stems from 2012, when he and Wilson were hit nearly every other play.

Having said that, he's played great this year and it's better to throw it away then to throw an interception.  It's just that sometime he throws it away when someone's open down field and he'd probably find them if he'd only hold onto the ball a little longer.