Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bielema On Skipper's Penalties: "I've got to Coach Him Better."

Started by Mike Irwin, September 28, 2014, 06:15:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

GolfnHog

Quote from: hoginator on September 30, 2014, 04:45:05 am
They said it was taunting on Cook. Never showed what happened on tv...

Think this call was made after the referee called both teams together and gave his "come to Jesus" speech about the early and extracurricular stuff that was starting up.

That being said, I thought it was a bit odd that there wasn't a replay on that particular penalty when they showed all the others. Even Gary Danielson didn't sound completely sold on the call at the time.
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

Russ22

Quote from: GolfnHog on September 30, 2014, 10:17:06 am
Think this call was made after the referee called both teams together and gave his "come to Jesus" speech about the early and extracurricular stuff that was starting up.

That being said, I thought it was a bit odd that there wasn't a replay on that particular penalty when they showed all the others. Even Gary Danielson didn't sound completely sold on the call at the time.
It was after the referee told the players to stop with the extracurricular activities. As far as not getting a replay, maybe it was so far behind the play that there was no opportunity to show it (Kind of like Tripper's PF against Aubie on the pick 6).  I bet it shows up on the "All 22" view.
For the latest Arkansas High School 7-on-7 football news:

http://7on7football.blogspot.com/

BorderPatrol

Supposedly (I didn't see it either), Cook was standing over an Aggie in which he was not involved in taking down.

Taunting.

bp

DeltaBoy

I am pretty sure knowing what I do about Coach B these boys will not be pulling anymore of those stunts again.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hogsanity

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 30, 2014, 03:36:02 pm
I am pretty sure knowing what I do about Coach B these boys will not be pulling anymore of those stunts again.

all part of building the program. Teaching that everyone has to be disciplined on each play, no matter where you are on the field.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Porkahontas

Quote from: Chris McWilliams on September 29, 2014, 07:22:32 am
I like how Bielema stepped up and took the heat for Skipper.  He could have just kept it at how "Dan needs to do better" but to follow that up with "I've got to coach him better" is a great display of leadership.  When was the last time we had a coach willing to fall on the sword for his players like this? 

This, 100 times. Our head coach takes the blame publicly and says he has to coach him better. Doesn't throw Skipper or Pittman under the bus and doesn't claim it was a bad call.

Liking our head coach more by the day.

TMc

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 28, 2014, 08:02:51 pm
I reawatched it 4-6 Times and I don't see any intent other than a 6:10 tall man trying to get up.  So I respectfully disagree with you and anybody else until Skipper comes out and says I tried to trip him and it was an epic failure.

At first he was trying to get up, as the camera stayed on him, a few seconds later, he clearly tripped the guy.  There is no getting around it - he did it.

Dhogs#1_4ever

I guess either those on the board are chosing to forget, or maybe they just didn't watch the previous game, but Dan Skipper also got flagged for a tripping penalty that negated a 1st down in that game. Hopefully Coach Bielema's teaching methods will get through to Skipper during the bye week.

The Hawgs are much improved, cut down on the mental mistakes,  teach the field goal kicker to kick it through the goal post in the middle an we'll be just fine. 

PonderinHog

Didn't he get flagged for punching a player on BA's pick six against Auburn?

DoubleReedHawgCaller

I don't have a problem with the refs calling those penalties. I have a problem with them not calling them when the crap is done to us. If you're going to call it on one you need to call it on the other.
A couple female midgets, a few bottles of Wild Irish Rose, and a room at the Trout Inn...... who knows what may happen.....

BrassNunchucks

Quote from: Russ22 on September 28, 2014, 10:29:16 pm
Come on Mike. Really? Light contact with a defender? This tape could be used to train officials on tripping penalties.

This was the first replay they showed. The replay they ran later showed Skipper rolling over after he had fallen down, after Williams was about 10 yards downfield, and kicking the guy's shins. It was a blatant kick, although Williams was already out of the picture by then.

edit: nevermind, saw the gif all the way through. It's got it.

hoglady

Mike Irwin was talking about this play today.
Was talking about Pittman telling the media a few weeks ago that Skipper scared him.
Media laughed at the comment - but it was a serious comment not meant to be funny.
This is most likely the type stuff he was afraid of.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

redeye

Teams hold all the time and sometimes have TD's called back because of it, but officials let it go, more often then not.  So, I can understand why both those plays were called back, but I'm a little suspicious when it happens twice in the same game.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Mike Irwin on September 28, 2014, 06:15:09 pm
Razorback sophomore offensive guard Dan Skipper got plenty of face time during Saturday's Arkansas-Texas A&M game. Unfortunately it was for the wrong reasons.
A holding call on Skipper wiped out a second quarter touchdown pass from Brandon Allen to Hunter Henry with the game tied at 14-14. Replays showed the call was correct.

The second Skipper miscue came early in the 4th quarter and nullified a 56 yard run by Jonathan Williams to the Aggies two yard line. A touchdown at that point would have put the Razorbacks up by 21 points. Replays were a little less clear on that infraction as Skipper was called for tripping after missing a block and rolling over with one leg slightly above the ground making light contact with an Aggie defender. Still head coach Bret Bielema made it clear that the mistake was on Skipper.
----------------------
To read the rest of the story and to view the video version click on the link below:
http://www.nwahomepage.com/fulltextsports/d/story/bielema-on-skippers-penalties-ive-got-to-coach-him/81308/U-wwbEavRUOF3vPifM2ZjQ
this is not right in the least. Tripper did trip the Aggie and it was very obvious. And the holding call was not on Tripper. It was on #74.

I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

redeye

Quote from: HoginMemphis on September 30, 2014, 11:08:42 pm
this is not right in the least. Tripper did trip the Aggie and it was very obvious. And the holding call was not on Tripper. It was on #74.

For the record, Mike has berated others for refusing to admit that it was intentional. 

Mike Irwin

You might want to read the entire thread. I explained earlier that the story was written before I had seen the second version of the replay which was shown during the game. That replay (used throughout this thread) makes it clear that the trip was intentional and explains why Bielema was so adamant that Skipper had screwed up.

Also his name is Skipper, not Tripper (unless you are trying to be funny in which case there is nothing funny about it). According to the official game play by play which was distributed to the media after the game Skipper was penalized on the hold that nullified Hunter Henry's second quarter touchdown.

hoginator

Someone who doesn't stand for something will fall for anything...

Chief Mac

Quote from: AdriAnn on September 30, 2014, 08:55:54 pm
Houston Nutt?   ???

Prolly not a good answer.

somebody has jokes
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

Johnboy

Can we please not refer to Dan Skipper as "Tripper"?  That dude has done way more positive things for this team than he has gotten credit for this week.

PorkRinds

Someone ban this idiot.  More player bashing.  He's no hog fan.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: Russ22 on September 28, 2014, 10:29:16 pm
Come on Mike. Really? Light contact with a defender? This tape could be used to train officials on tripping penalties.

Guilty as charged!

HognotinMemphis

I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Mike Irwin

It looks like to me he got mad and reacted without thinking. That's what the coaches are trying to get him to understand. You can't do that.

Aggressive is good. Out of control aggressive gets you beat.

The Kig

Quote from: Mike Irwin on October 01, 2014, 10:42:21 am
It looks like to me he got mad and reacted without thinking. That's what the coaches are trying to get him to understand. You can't do that.

Aggressive is good. Out of control aggressive gets you beat.

This has to be the toughest part of coaching.  You absolutely NEED players that have passion... it fuels not only the extra step or burst of speed that is the difference between making a play and getting beaten, but also to aid when you must dig deep when fatigue sets in over the grind of a game.  Treading the lunatic fringe, especially for defensive players, is hard to "control" because by its very nature is relinquishing control and feeding on the unbridled aggression.  This is partially why home field advantage is so important... players can supplement and feed off the energy from the crowd.

Find balance without taming the beast inside...  So much upside for Skipper if he can master this and nobody better than a walk-on OL that scratched and clawed his way to being a starter like CBB.
Poker Porker

Ash

Love hearing Coach say he needs to do a better job of coaching Skipper. That is the right attitude to have. Stand up and take the heat for your players in public and then coach them in private. A lot better for moral than saying "Well Skipper should have done better" to everyone in the state.

Piglet Dispersion Syndrome

I keep thinking at how pissed I'd be if I was JWill. He's too classy to admit it though.

Here you make one of the best runs of your career, single handedly willing your team to the endzone for 56 yards, destroying tacklers in attempts to stop you, and you turn around and see it was all for NAUGHT.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Piglet Dispersion Syndrome on October 01, 2014, 11:24:21 am
I keep thinking at how pissed I'd be if I was JWill. He's too classy to admit it though.

Here you make one of the best runs of your career, single handedly willing your team to the endzone for 56 yards, destroying tacklers in attempts to stop you, and you turn around and see it was all for NAUGHT.

I'm sure skipper has apologized profusely, and JWill is smart enough to know it's just part of the game.  JWill also knows skipper has, and will continue to be part of the reason he's putting up great numbers.

Dark Helmet Hog

October 01, 2014, 12:25:51 pm #78 Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 01:18:11 pm by Dark Helmet Hog
Quote from: HoginMemphis on October 01, 2014, 10:36:30 am
Dan "Tripper" Skipper.

Never mind... Just not worth it

woodhog14

If you watch the game, the holding was clearly on Skipper. Even when they showed the replay they circled Skipper. He literally had his hands around the D-lineman's waist holding the D-lineman back. It was not Brey Cook.

Piglet Dispersion Syndrome

Quote from: woodhog14 on October 01, 2014, 12:54:39 pm
If you watch the game, the holding was clearly on Skipper. Even when they showed the replay they circled Skipper. He literally had his hands around his waits holding the D-lineman back. It was not Brey Cook.

That's a fact, Jack. Brey got a PF for NOTHING!

hogsanity

Quote from: Piglet Dispersion Syndrome on October 01, 2014, 12:56:11 pm
That's a fact, Jack. Brey got a PF for NOTHING!

No, Brey got a PF for taunting.  Totally different play.  I think on the hold on Henry's td pass, the ref called out the wrong #. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Mike Irwin

Quote from: woodhog14 on October 01, 2014, 12:54:39 pm
If you watch the game, the holding was clearly on Skipper. Even when they showed the replay they circled Skipper. He literally had his hands around the D-lineman's waist holding the D-lineman back. It was not Brey Cook.
Again, the official play by play stat sheet given to the media after the game credited Skipper with the penalty.

Pork Twain

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 28, 2014, 06:27:06 pm
The 2nd call was Total Aggie loving Bull Crap.
That second call was completely obvious and exactly the right call.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

mhuff

Quote from: Chris McWilliams on September 29, 2014, 07:22:32 am
I like how Bielema stepped up and took the heat for Skipper.  He could have just kept it at how "Dan needs to do better" but to follow that up with "I've got to coach him better" is a great display of leadership.  When was the last time we had a coach willing to fall on the sword for his players like this? 

hogsanity

Quote from: DLUXHOG on October 01, 2014, 02:08:45 pm
No, it may have been against the rules, but there was a day, before the pussification of America, that it wasn't...

facemasking used to be legal too, and clipping, and a bunch of other things.  Tripping has been a penalty for at least 40 years.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: hogsanity on October 01, 2014, 02:16:36 pm
facemasking used to be legal too, and clipping, and a bunch of other things.  Tripping has been a penalty for at least 40 years.

Doesn't change the fact that America, and probably you, have become pussified...
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

hogsanity

Quote from: DLUXHOG on October 01, 2014, 02:18:48 pm
Doesn't change the fact that America, and probably you, have become pussified...

tripping is a cowardly act, nothing tough about it.

Bigmac2

Oh, I get it. The umpire can see a tripping penalty through all the action of 10 bodies rolling around on the ground but the head lines man can't see a wide out who is standing 10 yards right in front of him unobstructed flinch at the line.  >:(

Mike Irwin

Quote from: DLUXHOG on October 01, 2014, 02:08:45 pm
No, it may have been against the rules, but there was a day, before the pussification of America, that it wasn't...
Do not confuse some of the recent rules changes with rules that have been in place for decades. Without those rules we would not be watching college football.

Read this: http://www.history.com/news/how-teddy-roosevelt-saved-football

DLUXHOG

Quote from: hogsanity on October 01, 2014, 02:24:11 pm

Your opinion, and you've now given me the confidence to know that you are absolutely pussified, along with a good chunk of other Americans.... (BTW.. pulling a knife or gun on someone is cowardly, but not tripping)

hogsanity

Quote from: Mike Irwin on October 01, 2014, 02:26:08 pm
Do not confuse some of the recent rules changes with rules that have been in place for decades. Without those rules we would not be watching college football.

Read this: http://www.history.com/news/how-teddy-roosevelt-saved-football

NAh, TR was just a wuss. I mean Delux told us these rules were just for making America weak. 

DLUXHOG

Quote from: hogsanity on October 01, 2014, 02:29:29 pm
NAh, TR was just a wuss. I mean Delux told us these rules were just for making America weak. 

Or, I could just be acting the azzhole because karma has disappeared....

forrest city joe

Quote from: hogsanity on October 01, 2014, 02:24:11 pm
You calling one of our players cowardly is a joke. Dan Skipper would stomp you into the ground if you said that to his face. he is no coward.

hogsanity

Quote from: DLUXHOG on October 01, 2014, 02:27:23 pm
Your opinion, and you've now given me the confidence to know that you are absolutely pussified, along with a good chunk of other Americans.... (BTW.. pulling a knife or gun on someone is cowardly, but not tripping)

[attachment deleted by admin]

hogsanity

Quote from: forrest city joe on October 01, 2014, 02:32:55 pm
You calling one of our players cowardly is a joke. Dan Skipper would stomp you into the ground if you said that to his face. he is no coward.

tripping is a cowardly act was said in refference to dlux and his assertion that football not allowing tripping is somehow weakening America.

And Skipper would say what he did was just bad, because it really hurt his team.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: hogsanity on October 01, 2014, 02:37:23 pm
tripping is a cowardly act was said in refference to dlux and his assertion that football not allowing tripping is somehow weakening America.

And Skipper would say what he did was just bad, because it really hurt his team.

You are so pussified dude... Turn in your mancard quickly...

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: DLUXHOG on October 01, 2014, 02:31:33 pm
Or, I could just be acting the azzhole because karma has disappeared....

You paid attention to karma ratings and let it affect what you posted? 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

forrest city joe

Quote from: hogsanity on October 01, 2014, 02:37:23 pm

Football is a nasty game. Skipper is not the first player to trip another player. that does make him cowardly. he made a mistake.and he does not need people like you saying what he did was cowardly. you need to lay off this kid.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 01, 2014, 02:40:25 pm
You paid attention to karma ratings and let it affect what you posted? 

Nope.... Just taking advantage of the current "rules"