Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bielema On Skipper's Penalties: "I've got to Coach Him Better."

Started by Mike Irwin, September 28, 2014, 06:15:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Irwin

Razorback sophomore offensive guard Dan Skipper got plenty of face time during Saturday's Arkansas-Texas A&M game. Unfortunately it was for the wrong reasons.
A holding call on Skipper wiped out a second quarter touchdown pass from Brandon Allen to Hunter Henry with the game tied at 14-14. Replays showed the call was correct.

The second Skipper miscue came early in the 4th quarter and nullified a 56 yard run by Jonathan Williams to the Aggies two yard line. A touchdown at that point would have put the Razorbacks up by 21 points. Replays were a little less clear on that infraction as Skipper was called for tripping after missing a block and rolling over with one leg slightly above the ground making light contact with an Aggie defender. Still head coach Bret Bielema made it clear that the mistake was on Skipper.
----------------------
To read the rest of the story and to view the video version click on the link below:
http://www.nwahomepage.com/fulltextsports/d/story/bielema-on-skippers-penalties-ive-got-to-coach-him/81308/U-wwbEavRUOF3vPifM2ZjQ

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

DEVICEHIGH

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 28, 2014, 06:27:06 pm
The 2nd call was Total Aggie loving Bull Crap.
No. It was the clearly the correct call. Dan got busted kicking the guy in the shin.
Hillbilly? I prefer Appalachian American

DEVICEHIGH

Hillbilly? I prefer Appalachian American

Boarcephus

Quote from: DEVICEHIGH on September 28, 2014, 07:08:35 pm
No. It was the clearly the correct call. Dan got busted kicking the guy in the shin.

Yes he did.  What's bad about it is the guy he tripped was totally out of the play.  I'd almost like to see a play like that treated as an interference no call when the ball is uncatchable.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

/sarcasm on

Quote from: Boarcephus on September 28, 2014, 07:14:19 pm
Yes he did.  What's bad about it is the guy he tripped was totally out of the play.
Which made it even more of a bonehead decision.

hogsanity

Quote from: Boarcephus on September 28, 2014, 07:14:19 pm
Yes he did.  What's bad about it is the guy he tripped was totally out of the play.  I'd almost like to see a play like that treated as an interference no call when the ball is uncatchable.

It is a personal foul, it is going to be called, if seen, 100 yards away from the ball. Face mask, clip, tripping, spearing.  All are player safety related personal fouls. Had he reached out with his hand and grabbed the guys leg or his jersey, that far from the play, I say its 50/50 if it gets called.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

BILLYBOB

Bet he won't do it again. I like the way CBB is handling it; Great kid on and off the field, he made an immature decision, I've got to do better, I'm responsible. Acknowledges mistake, but takes heat off player.

Personally, I wouldn't trade Skipper for any other OL in the country. He's the ultimate competitor and has God given talent & size...
"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence." ~Charles Bukowski

DeltaBoy

Quote from: DEVICEHIGH on September 28, 2014, 07:08:35 pm

I reawatched it 4-6 Times and I don't see any intent other than a 6:10 tall man trying to get up.  So I respectfully disagree with you and anybody else until Skipper comes out and says I tried to trip him and it was an epic failure.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

DOGALUM

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 28, 2014, 08:02:51 pm
I reawatched it 4-6 Times and I don't see any intent other than a 6:10 tall man trying to get up.  So I respectfully disagree with you and anybody else until Skipper comes out and says I tried to trip him and it was an epic failure.
you obviously did not watch the entire game as the actual trip was CLEARLY shown later.   
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

Boarcephus

Quote from: hogsanity on September 28, 2014, 07:22:12 pm
It is a personal foul, it is going to be called, if seen, 100 yards away from the ball. Face mask, clip, tripping, spearing.  All are player safety related personal fouls. Had he reached out with his hand and grabbed the guys leg or his jersey, that far from the play, I say its 50/50 if it gets called.

And you're right.  What's bad about it was that was the game with that one play.  If it's not called it's first and goal from the 2 and I'd bet the house we get it in from there.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Hawg414

youre only watching the initial replay they showed 10 different times.... where he initially dove to the ground.  in the natural "rolling over" motion, his leg came up and touched the guy.  THATS what you are thinking they called.

later in the game, they showed the "extended" version of the same play.  after he rolled over and his leg came up and touched the guy, he then - a second time - kicked at the guys legs.  almost like a leg sweep.  he was clearly, unequivocally, undeniably trying to trip the guy.  100%.

obviously im a hog fan.  obviously we all are.  but anybody who saw the SECOND version of the replay and cant admit it was the right call is flat out homering it.

Boarcephus

Quote from: Hawg414 on September 28, 2014, 08:11:59 pm
youre only watching the initial replay they showed 10 different times.... where he initially dove to the ground.  in the natural "rolling over" motion, his leg came up and touched the guy.  THATS what you are thinking they called.

later in the game, they showed the "extended" version of the same play.  after he rolled over and his leg came up and touched the guy, he then - a second time - kicked at the guys legs.  almost like a leg sweep.  he was clearly, unequivocally, undeniably trying to trip the guy.  100%.

obviously im a hog fan.  obviously we all are.  but anybody who saw the SECOND version of the replay and cant admit it was the right call is flat out homering it.

^^^^^
this

hoginator

The extended version sealed the deal. Vern and Gary were even slightly questioning the call until they showed it several minutes later in the game. Coaches, fans, media, players, and even Dan himself would be ignoring video evidence to say it didn't happen. It did...
Someone who doesn't stand for something will fall for anything...

HogimusMaximus

September 28, 2014, 08:47:24 pm #14 Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 05:56:01 am by HogimusMaximus

Watched the game with a Texas Am alum and when we saw the first replay he agreed that we got screwed on the call.  When they showed the full sequence,  I agreed it was an obvious trip. 

Arkfan

Quoterolling over with one leg slightly above the ground making light contact with an Aggie defender

Thats not quite the way I saw it and Im a pretty die hard Hog fan.

It was pretty obvious to me.

Tejano Jawg

Skipper has a little while to think about it. Then, if the spirit moves him, can take it out on Alabama's d-line and linebackers in 2 weeks. If he wants to make it right, put 2 Bama defenders on their ass after every snap.

That goes for all the Hogs. What are you going to do about it?
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

Russ22

Come on Mike. Really? Light contact with a defender? This tape could be used to train officials on tripping penalties.

For the latest Arkansas High School 7-on-7 football news:

http://7on7football.blogspot.com/

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

hoglady

Quote from: Russ22 on September 28, 2014, 10:29:16 pm
Come on Mike. Really? Light contact with a defender? This tape could be used to train officials on tripping penalties.

This is all anyone needs to see.
It wasn't light contact - it looks like intentional tripping with a lot of contact.
No reason for sugarcoating it by the media or us fans.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

3kgthog

I don't see how anyone could defend that. It was the easiest call any of those officials will have all season.

nchogg

I thought it was a bad call until I saw the kick with the left leg. Hope he learns.

TNRazorbacker

It was the right call.

He's a big tenacious competitor that plays with a ton of emotion. At the snap I doubt he's thinking about much beyond destroying whoever happens to be his assignment. This is why we love him. He just needs to learn to play smart and know how to temper his aggression. He will. I gaurantee nobody regrets this more than he does.

Chief Mac

I like how Bielema stepped up and took the heat for Skipper.  He could have just kept it at how "Dan needs to do better" but to follow that up with "I've got to coach him better" is a great display of leadership.  When was the last time we had a coach willing to fall on the sword for his players like this? 
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

Quote from: Chris McWilliams on September 29, 2014, 07:22:32 am
I like how Bielema stepped up and took the heat for Skipper.  He could have just kept it at how "Dan needs to do better" but to follow that up with "I've got to coach him better" is a great display of leadership.  When was the last time we had a coach willing to fall on the sword for his players like this?
folks this may be one of the best recruiting moves I have ever seen. if I had been the coach and saw a kid of mine make 3 attempts to trip a guy on one play that cost me the chance to go ahead by three scores there would have been several scenarios cross my mind one of which probably involved firing squads. to come out and defend skipper with conviction while admitting the mistake, speaks volumes about cbb's commitment to these kids. this will go a long way with recruits and their parents or guardians.

acey33

Arkfan

QuoteI like how Bielema stepped up and took the heat for Skipper.  He could have just kept it at how "Dan needs to do better" but to follow that up with "I've got to coach him better" is a great display of leadership.  When was the last time we had a coach willing to fall on the sword for his players like this?

I definitely give BB credit for that and thats coming from someone who was disappointed he was hired because of his style of play. You havent heard much of that in the Arkansas program for a long time.

BorderPatrol

Quote from: acey33 on September 29, 2014, 07:47:44 am
The 2nd call negating JWill run was total BS...

Really? You can say that after watching the GIF above? You think that call was total BS?

What if it had happened against a Razorback defensive player? Total BS?

bp

DeltaBoy

First time I seen this !  Shame on DAN!

hoglady

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 29, 2014, 09:04:26 am
First time I seen this !  Shame on DAN!

I was wondering when you would see the entire play.
I think most saying the call was BS - have not watched the whole thing.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

hoglady

This freaking play will be burned into my memory - I've watched this clip so many times.

hogsanity

What makes it even worse was how well the play worked. 4 A&M defenders are so fooled that even though the ball was at least 10 yards down field, on the other side, they are still looking into the backfield.  The player that got tripped was so fooled he was just standing around trying to find the ball. 

I can almost forgive tripping a defender if he is going to blow up a play, or have a free shot at your QB, but this was just a player being mad that he was on the ground. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Mike Irwin

I was at the game. I did not see it on TV. The replay I saw before putting the story together was the short version in which light contact occurred.

Obviously the second version tells a much different story. We will be addressing that play (to reflect the obvious intentional trip) later during this bye week.

BorderPatrol

Quote from: Mike Irwin on September 29, 2014, 10:50:43 am
I was at the game. I did not see it on TV. The replay I saw before putting the story together was the short version in which light contact occurred.

Obviously the second version tells a much different story. We will be addressing that play (to reflect the obvious intentional trip) later during this bye week.

Keep up the great work, Mike.

Most of us appreciate what you do, and for sharing your thoughts and stories with us.

bp

The Kig

He actually did it twice on the same play.   The first, which is what most saw was his leg coming up in the air as he rolled.  That isn't what got called.

The 2nd, which had intent, was only shown on one angle and was most definitely the right call.  This one was much closer to the ground and left no doubt.

Irritating since it had zero to do with the play and if it only happened once on the play might not have been called.
Poker Porker

acey33

Quote from: BorderPatrol on September 29, 2014, 08:34:44 am
Really? You can say that after watching the GIF above? You think that call was total BS?

What if it had happened against a Razorback defensive player? Total BS?

bp

My bad and I didn't watch the GIFT above

Piggfoot

Players no matter how talented have to have talent between the ears. Both plays were going away from Skipper. All he needed to do with his size is to seal his man and just get in his way on both plays. You don't have to pancake your opponent on every play. The play was right in front of the umpire.
I have been expecting something like this to happen after the publicity over Skipper throwing a player to the ground. I suspect in order for him to do that he had to grab the jersey and I suspect any official that saw that play would thereafter have their eye on him.
Ten and 15 yard infractions are stupid. They are stiff penalties and made so because in the eyes of an official they are an intentional disregard for the rules.
As talented as Skipper is he has to be known as a player who plays by the rules. We don't need a Undamukong Suh.
I want Skipper to learn to play tough not mean or dirty.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

MemphisBossHog

exactly.  Even Verne and Gary on CBS were skeptical of it being a good call until later in the game, they showed the play and let the clip run longer and then there is no doubt what Dan was doing. 

I hate it because JWill would have made it to the 1 with or without the trip.  I guess it was just natural frustration on Skipper's part that he ended up on the ground and the guy he was blocking was still up on his feet and starting to run to the play and Dan simply raised his leg to trip him.

The call I hated was the interlocking arms holding call that negated a TD to Hunter Henry.  A ref can call holding on every play if he wants to.  Skipper and his counterpart got their arms tangled up and the refs just didn't want to leave it alone.  It was such a beautiful play otherwise.

Großer Kriegschwein

Laces out Dan.
This is my non-signature signature.

GolfnHog

Absolutely the right call. All DS had to do to keep #33 from moving forward was keep rolling left in an effort to get up and his bulk, legs and backside is going to impede #33 from any backside pursuit w/o the need to trip him.

lesson learned and there is no doubt that DS is beating himself up worse than anyone else could. He'll learn from it, I have no doubt. He's too darned good.
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

Mike_e

Dan's getting a lot of grief for this, as he should, but these are just two of at least six plays that had any one of them gone right would have won us the game.

He'll get better and I'll bet he learns how not to get caught too.  ;)
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

DLUXHOG

He's a young pup and will learn.   It's not like the national championship was on the line..  Let's give him a break as he appears to be one of the best offensive linemen we've seen for the Hogs in over 20 years.....
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

JaketheSnake

The kid wants to put everyone he can on the ground on every snap.  While the timing sucked, I will take those penalties.  Who here doesnt want the opposing team to think they might get hurt one way or another?  Makes them play/react a little bit slower...

hogwild210

How many of our rushing yards can be attributed directly to Dan? I'd be willing to be quite a few. I'm not going to hold a couple penalties against him. He's young and he'll learn.
Quote from: Steef on May 26, 2017, 12:28:23 pm
Still, one can never go wrong with excrement at a time like this.

Hawgndaaz

Love his attitude, he pisses off the opposing team.

Just have to keep it in check. It will come with maturity. He's had to grow up pretty fricking quick in the toughest league in CFB. This is his one game pass.

Pig Worshipper

Quote from: DLUXHOG on September 29, 2014, 04:44:26 pm
He's a young pup and will learn.   It's not like the national championship was on the line..  Let's give him a break as he appears to be one of the best offensive linemen we've seen for the Hogs in over 20 years.....
He has the POTENTIAL to be possibly the best offensive lineman in college football. But he'll never reach it if he's all brawn and no brain. It's up to him - no need to sugarcoat it. He cost us a huge win.
I do love that Bielema took the blame for not coaching him well enough. Houston Nutt would have tripped HIMSELF running to the mike after the game to throw Skipper under the bus.

Hawgndaaz

Quote from: Pig Worshipper on September 29, 2014, 07:47:35 pm
He has the POTENTIAL to be possibly the best offensive lineman in college football. But he'll never reach it if he's all brawn and no brain. It's up to him - no need to sugarcoat it. He cost us a huge win.
I do love that Bielema took the blame for not coaching him well enough. Houston Nutt would have tripped HIMSELF running to the mike after the game to throw Skipper under the bus.

If nothing else, it appears BB is extremely well versed in tough love to his players, which goes a very long way in recruiting and overall success.

PigTales

I went to the game and I have a question about a different penalty. I believe it was on our 1st TD we got a penalty called I believe it was CELEBRATION or taunting. I have not had the stomach to watch the re-play of the game. Does anyone know what the penalty was who it was called on and what he did? I've heard a lot of talk about all the other penalties but nothing said about this one. I'm not sure it cost us anything other than maybe giving A&M better field position. I'm not trying to be a homer but my question is why wasn't A&M called for celebration? It happened time and time again right in front of me. We had tickets in a field suite on A&M's side of the field and there was plenty of celebrating in their end zone when they scored. Seems if game was called fairly this would have been called against A&M too..OK ILL ADMIT IT IM A HOMER AND PROUD OF IT  ;)

Quote from: PigTales on September 29, 2014, 10:53:21 pm
I went to the game and I have a question about a different penalty. I believe it was on our 1st TD we got a penalty called I believe it was CELEBRATION or taunting. I have not had the stomach to watch the re-play of the game. Does anyone know what the penalty was who it was called on and what he did? I've heard a lot of talk about all the other penalties but nothing said about this one. I'm not sure it cost us anything other than maybe giving A&M better field position. I'm not trying to be a homer but my question is why wasn't A&M called for celebration? It happened time and time again right in front of me. We had tickets in a field suite on A&M's side of the field and there was plenty of celebrating in their end zone when they scored. Seems if game was called fairly this would have been called against A&M too..OK ILL ADMIT IT IM A HOMER AND PROUD OF IT  ;)
Never saw it but they called on Brey Cook.

hoginator

They said it was taunting on Cook. Never showed what happened on tv...
Someone who doesn't stand for something will fall for anything...