Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Coaching Question...

Started by Rod6275, September 28, 2014, 04:34:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Rod6275

Its 4th down, 30 sec on the  clock you  have one  time out... why not  make  them  punt  and   use  your  time  out  with a K Marshal in the  back  field? I hate  games  when we    leave it  for  half  time  or   in this  case  time on the  clock  for  overtime.... your  thoughts if  you  were the  coach?
Choose This Day Who you will Serve...As For Me...It  Is The Hogs !

Dr. Starcs

Because our punt return team is horrible.

hawgon

Because actually catching a punt and making a return is something this coaching staff is waiting until next year to teach our kids.

LA Football fan

Their punter kicked it out of bounds on every punt.  It would not have mattered who we put back there.  The only other option I would have considered is to try to block the punt.  Call the timeout with about 15 seconds to go.  If you block the punt, you would have had good enough field position to try a long distance field goal, a hail mary to the end zone, or if lucky enough to return the blocked punt for a score.

code red

"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Ball Hawk

Quote from: Rod6275 on September 28, 2014, 04:34:18 pm
Its 4th down, 30 sec on the  clock you  have one  time out... why not  make  them  punt  and   use  your  time  out  with a K Marshal in the  back  field? I hate  games  when we    leave it  for  half  time  or   in this  case  time on the  clock  for  overtime.... your  thoughts if  you  were the  coach?

To many unknown variables.

What happens if you rough the punter?

What happens if you muff the catch?

Both of those have a higher % than catching a punt clean, everyone making their blocks and taking the ball to the house.
Quote from: secfan30 on February 16, 2015, 11:01:56 pm

They are a perfect example of what happens with 10-12 generations of inbreeding.

HF#1

You assume they would have punted?  Why give them the opportunity to get a first down?
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin