Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Quick quiz. What is a good, easily executed play to run when the defense is selling out every down?

Started by Country Stylz, September 28, 2014, 02:37:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Bubba's Bruisers

The claim by the announcing crew is that our staff told them that we don't run screens because our linemen are not good in space. 
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Bebop

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on September 28, 2014, 02:39:42 pm
The claim by the announcing crew is that our staff told them that we don't run screens because our linemen are not good in space.

AKA we don't practice enough of it.

Country Stylz

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on September 28, 2014, 02:39:42 pm
Well that's not gonna slow down the blitzes from here on out.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Country Stylz on September 28, 2014, 02:41:55 pm
Well that's not gonna slow down the blitzes from here on out.

Why would any team blitz this offense?  A&M was selling out by blitzing?
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

TeufelHog

"Naked-Boot-Leg" works as well, but the coaches are too concerned BA is going to get hurt again.  So does scrambling out of the pocket for 5-10 yards.  Opponents now know BA won't, as evidenced by his quick trigger to throw the ball out of bounds when the receivers are well covered.  ALL ABOUT KEEPING BA HEALTHY, but it's one less threat the opponent has to worry about. 

Chief Mac

"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

SCRX95

This is an interesting topic as Arkansas having the largest OL in the country and why it could be a disadvantage in some situations.  There were 3 sweep plays that resulted in 2 tackles for loss and 1 play resulted in 2 yard gain.  Some truth in the lack of blocking in space comment. 

This begs the question why don't NFL teams get bigger OL and just ram it down opponents? 

Two of the major factors of ineffective 4th quarters by AR in my opinion are Aggies kept fresh DL by having the depth and the rotation albeit young players that wore out AR OL and the very large OL were worn out by run blocking all day.  I wonder if smaller yet more athletic OL and more depth will finally allow BB to get over the hump.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: SCRX95 on September 28, 2014, 02:57:03 pm
This is an interesting topic as Arkansas having the largest OL in the country and why it could be a disadvantage in some situations.  There were 3 sweep plays that resulted in 2 tackles for loss and 1 play resulted in 2 yard gain.  Some truth in the lack of blocking in space comment. 

This begs the question why don't NFL teams get bigger OL and just ram it down opponents? 

Two of the major factors of ineffective 4th quarters by AR in my opinion are Aggies kept fresh DL by having the depth and the rotation albeit young players that wore out AR OL and the very large OL were worn out by run blocking all day.  I wonder if smaller yet more athletic OL and more depth will finally allow BB to get over the hump.

Just need a competent passing attack.  Get that, and the offense will be a fricking beast.

SCRX95

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on September 28, 2014, 03:08:23 pm
Just need a competent passing attack.  Get that, and the offense will be a fricking beast.

But can a very large OL in BB system pass block against fast DL and DE to establish an efficient passing attack? 

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

We don't have the depth or versatility at OL yet to run MANY of the plays in Chaney's massive playbook.

We will get there, IF we stick to the plan.

If we start getting rid of this team of assistants we WILL end up being too one-dimensional and conservative.

Chaney and the Offense is NOT the problem.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

SCRX95

Saban's hiring of Kiffin was brilliant in my opinion.  3 recent losses by Bama were to aTm, Auburn, and OU; all teams who can strike quickly in open space.  Saban realized the need to open up the offense to be able to come front behind or point deficit in a hurry to be able to compete with the changing landscape in the SEC West.

It goes back to fundamental philosophy of the game.  How do you want to play this game?  Can Bama grind out a 10 minute drive?  I bet they can.  But being able to quickstrike makes them even more complete. 

The bottom line is that it's becoming more and more difficult to win games in the SEC West by grinding out with a ball control one dimensional offense.

And Saban is adjusting.  The question is will BB?

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: SCRX95 on September 28, 2014, 03:21:41 pm
Saban's hiring of Kiffin was brilliant in my opinion.  3 recent losses by Bama were to aTm, Auburn, and OU; all teams who can strike quickly in open space.  Saban realized the need to open up the offense to be able to come front behind or point deficit in a hurry to be able to compete with the changing landscape in the SEC West.

It goes back to fundamental philosophy of the game.  How do you want to play this game?  Can Bama grind out a 10 minute drive?  I bet they can.  But being able to quickstrike makes them even more complete. 

The bottom line is that it's becoming more and more difficult to win games in the SEC West by grinding out with a ball control one dimensional offense.

Perhaps or the softening of Bama football.  It would be nice for the rest of us if Bama were to go the way of female football like Texas and Michigan did.  You Aggies really put a lot into that upset from 2012.  Like WV fans and that upset over UGa they still talk about. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Country Stylz on September 28, 2014, 02:37:25 pm
Screen pass. The answer is screen pass.

Ragnow will be an effective, athletic center down the road and we'll see more screens.  This is just a part of dealing with a limited play book due to limited depth and options right now. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: SCRX95 on September 28, 2014, 03:11:23 pm
But can a very large OL in BB system pass block against fast DL and DE to establish an efficient passing attack? 

Sure.  I haven't noticed that pass blocking as been a glaring problem in the passing game.  Allen has sufficient time.

Pigasaurus

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on September 28, 2014, 03:32:30 pm
Sure.  I haven't noticed that pass blocking as been a glaring problem in the passing game.  Allen has sufficient time.

Agree.  Did the Aggies even lay a hand on BA? I don't remember him getting touched.  Pressured a few times.
"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking, I would be talking."  Al Bundy

Danny J

Quote from: pigasaurus on September 28, 2014, 03:44:09 pm
Agree.  Did the Aggies even lay a hand on BA? I don't remember him getting touched.  Pressured a few times.
Yeah....he was hit a couple times after releasing the pass. As for a screen pass I am not sure how well it would work with 9 in the box because most of the time they weren't all pinning their ears back after the QB instead just stacking against the line. When they stack the line lack that with safeties routinely within 10 yards of the LOS then you have to throw over them. We don't really have any true deep threats or receivers to go over the middle. KJ Hill will certainly help with that next year but will only be a true freshman.

cowboy_hawg

Quote from: Danny J on September 28, 2014, 03:50:08 pm
Yeah....he was hit a couple times after releasing the pass. As for a screen pass I am not sure how well it would work with 9 in the box because most of the time they weren't all pinning their ears back after the QB instead just stacking against the line. When they stack the line lack that with safeties routinely within 10 yards of the LOS then you have to throw over them. We don't really have any true deep threats or receivers to go over the middle. KJ Hill will certainly help with that next year but will only be a true freshman.

Exactly, the screen game is effective when the defense is getting a push upfield.  The line and the back can act as if they are gonna block then release for the screen pass.  Most of the pressure that we have seen from opposing defenses is run stopping and clogging the holes.  That is why when executed perfectly, (as Alex Collins TD run was), the hole opened, he ran thru, made one man miss and there was no one left to stop him.

The screen game will/would be effective when we are a little better at passing down field.
cowboy_hawg

LA Football fan

There are two plays that would throw fear into every DC we play.  Halfback pass off the toss sweep and Brandon running an option play out wide with the option to throw downfield the way Auburn does with its read option.  You cannot stack 11 in the box like A&M did and cover those two options.  We have to have someone with speed as an option when defenses put 10-11 in the box like we saw yesterday.

I know we have some receivers that can get deep if given the opportunity.   If Henry and Derby can get behind a defense, any of our WR's can too.  I also don't remember a wheel route being called either.

hogsanity

People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

pigbacon

Quote from: TeufelHog on September 28, 2014, 02:44:49 pm
"Naked-Boot-Leg" works as well, but the coaches are too concerned BA is going to get hurt again.  So does scrambling out of the pocket for 5-10 yards.  Opponents now know BA won't, as evidenced by his quick trigger to throw the ball out of bounds when the receivers are well covered.  ALL ABOUT KEEPING BA HEALTHY, but it's one less threat the opponent has to worry about. 

I lean this way.

DeltaBoy

The naked bootleg would have worked cause the Aggies had every one stacked within 5 yards of the Ball.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

onebadrubi

Your memory might be the shortest thing you have. 

aar0n

I liked the short yardage play action run fake that led to Derby's TD yesterday.  We lined up with our "jumbo package" in a power run formation looking like we were going to just muscle out a couple yards for the first down, which is what any opponent would assume we'd do.  BA does an extremely good job of faking the handoff and hiding the ball, enough so that A&M's defense completely bit on the fake all the way down to the safeties coming up in run support, and left Derby wiiiiiiiiide open.  I'd like to see more of that.

TOM "tbw1"

Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

seasonhog

Quote from: SCRX95 on September 28, 2014, 03:21:41 pm

" Bingo "

code red

This.....they were selling out on Collins both in OT and at the 4 min mark.  This play was never run and even Brandon could have got the first without throwing the ball.  I am disappointed with the play selection after the  interception to OT.  Nice observation T Hog.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

code red

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on September 28, 2014, 03:08:23 pm
This also.  Let's face it....we don/t have a drop back game it all PAP>
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

hobhog

Play action and throw to TE who faked a run block.

We did it several times yesterday with success. A$M adjusted to it. May have worked, may not have.

I wanted to run the ball and we didn't pull off the yardage when we did. I Move on.