Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Re: I'd rather lose with class than win the way the Aggies did

Started by Kevin, September 27, 2014, 10:28:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

JonClaudeVanHam

Quote from: rhames on March 28, 2024, 10:56:37 amMusselman wants the UofA Transit Director Job.

MojaveJoe

When the aggies stormed the field at the end, I was wondering "Are they going to tear down the goal posts after beating an unranked team?"

aar0n

I was surprised this thread took this long.  Expected it directly after the clock ran out.

ShadowTheHedgehog

TMc

A&M better enjoy this one - Bielema is building a team that will steamroll them (and a lot of teams) in the future.  They should be thanking us for giving it to them.  By the way, I'll be surprised if they don't take it on the chin a few times this year.  They're good - but not #6 in the country good.

Sir Oinksalot

Quote from: TMc on September 27, 2014, 10:34:50 pm
A&M better enjoy this one - Bielema is building a team that will steamroll them (and a lot of teams) in the future.  They should be thanking us for giving it to them.  By the way, I'll be surprised if they don't take it on the chin a few times this year.  They're good - but not #6 in the country good.

Ed Zachary.......it's sooo frustrating some of us can't see what is happening...

We are becoming heart breakers...

Be ye therefore like the grasses and yield
to the inevitable forces of Nature,
and in so yielding survive...

DukeOfPork

Quote from: TMc on September 27, 2014, 10:34:50 pm

Bielema was 38-0 with a 14 point lead in the 4th quarter.  But now he is 38-1.

That's what a legit top 10 team does.  They overcome the odds and figure out how to get it done. 

They owned us in the 4th quarter and overtime.  Our fans need to acknowledge that.

The_Bionic_Pig

Aggie players are allowed a very long leash to display outspoken mannerism like Miami in the late 80's.

Kevin Sumlin isn't what I would call a disciplinarian and gives his star players freedom to display a certain cockiness that is sadly attractive to recruits.

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Bubba's Bruisers

Skipper is a nasty dude.  He's pretty much good for a PF or 2 every game.  The trip was by far the single most critical play of the game.  It changed everything.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

N HOG

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on September 27, 2014, 10:44:28 pm
Skipper is a nasty dude.  He's pretty much good for a PF or 2 every game.  The trip was by far the single most critical play of the game.  It changed everything.

Agree the penalty was a killer.

But the blatant "NO CALL" on the Aggie OT TD should at least be nominated.

code red

Before u post remember 0-14.  Winning......isn't easy.  Winning is why folks celebrate.  Losing is why folks make excuses.  Bottom line.....we can't throw the spheroid when we have to....its killing us.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: N HOG on September 27, 2014, 10:46:14 pm

Maybe, but the writing was already on the wall by then.  Doubtful we win in OT regardless.  It should have never come close to OT. 
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

DukeOfPork

Quote from: N HOG on September 27, 2014, 10:46:14 pm

All it would have done is backed them up 5 yards and then that play would have been a 30 yard TD instead of a 25 yard TD.

The better team won today.  Barely.

astate

N HOG

Quote from: DukeOfPork on September 27, 2014, 10:48:34 pm
All it would have done is backed them up 5 yards and then that play would have been a 30 yard TD instead of a 25 yard TD.

The better team won today.  Barely.

One other thing it would have done for me was demonstrate some competence by the officials.

How could anyone miss that?

DukeOfPork

Quote from: N HOG on September 27, 2014, 10:55:42 pm
One other thing it would have done for me was demonstrate some competence by the officials.

Yeah, it was a dumb no-call.  But it had no bearing whatsoever on the game, so there's no need to dwell on it.

N HOG

Quote from: DukeOfPork on September 27, 2014, 10:57:35 pm
Yeah, it was a dumb no-call.  But it had no bearing whatsoever on the game, so there's no need to dwell on it.

Wish the tripping call would have been a "dumb no call". It also had no bearing on the play, but did have great bearing on the game. I guess they are better at seeing something on the inside pile than they are right out in plain sight.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: N HOG on September 27, 2014, 10:55:42 pm

Did you see the blatant face mask we got away with?  It goes both ways.  Officials didn't come close to cheating us out of this game.

DukeOfPork

Quote from: N HOG on September 27, 2014, 11:00:27 pm
Wish the tripping call would have been a "dumb no call". It also had no bearing on the play, but did have great bearing on the game. I guess they are better at seeing something on the inside pile than they are right out in plain sight.

You're implying that they purposely missed the call in OT?

Uberanubis

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on September 27, 2014, 10:44:28 pm

I do not agree with this. did it hurt? yes. was it the single most critical play that changed the game. no. I say the TD we had called back for illegal formation was way up there, the missed FG, im sure I can keep going, but what's the point.

I feel the point is this. we are going to learn to finish. CBB will let the players know that penalties are not going to win us games. this is one of those games that penalties killed us. the fumble killed us. metal mistakes KILLED us. but over all it was a good game.

I am proud of the way we played. we have a ways to go but were getting there. That is awesome.
Quote from: East TN HAWG on January 31, 2015, 11:37:05 am
I think it's a common event whether it is in AR or around the world where a group of Hog fans get together.  I've seen it in TN, TX, LA and in Germany.  Being a Razorback is like being in a brotherhood.  When the brotherhood meet, they call the Hogs.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Uberanubis on September 27, 2014, 11:06:56 pm
I do not agree with this. did it hurt? yes. was it the single most critical play that changed the game. no. I say the TD we had called back for illegal formation was way up there, the missed FG, im sure I can keep going, but what's the point.

I feel the point is this. we are going to learn to finish. CBB will let the players know that penalties are not going to win us games. this is one of those games that penalties killed us. the fumble killed us. metal mistakes KILLED us. but over all it was a good game.

I am proud of the way we played. we have a ways to go but were getting there. That is awesome.

Never said it wasn't a good game, but the fact is, without that penalty, we are first and goal at the 1 about to take a 3 TD lead in the 4th.  We win the game. 

Not at all suggesting Skipper's was the only frick up.  There were many contributors no doubt  But IMO, his was the most glaring at the moment we were putting the final nail in the coffin.  And the trip gave us no advantage on the play which makes it more heartbreaking.  Could the D made a few more plays after that or the O completed a few passes?  Yep.  It just shouldn't have gotten to that point. 

hogsanity

Quote from: Uberanubis on September 27, 2014, 11:06:56 pm

no TD called back for illegal formation. It was holding.

Sometimes I wonder if some of you even watch the games.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

DukeOfPork

Quote from: hogsanity on September 27, 2014, 11:18:45 pm
no TD called back for illegal formation. It was holding.

Sometimes I wonder if some of you even watch the games.

So true.  Lots of "expert analysis" here on Hogville. ;)

Uberanubis

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on September 27, 2014, 11:17:21 pm
Never said it wasn't a good game, but the fact is, without that penalty, we are first and goal at the 1 about to take a 3 TD lead in the 4th.  We win the game. 

Not at all suggesting Skipper's was the only frick up.  There were many contributors no doubt  But IMO, his was the most glaring at the moment we were putting the final nail in the coffin.  And the trip gave us no advantage on the play which makes it more heartbreaking.  Could the D made a few more plays after that or the O completed a few passes?  Yep.  It just shouldn't have gotten to that point. 

with out the illegal formation call it would have been 21-7 early in the second half, and this is a moot point.  we can get in to semantics all day, but the point is, there is no one single play that doomed us. there wer lots of plays that we could change and we have a different out come.

heck lets play the other side of the ball. if the aggie receivers had not dropped so many wide open passes we could have lost by 21-30 points. now how does that feel?

EDIT: lets not forget the guy who fell down on his way to a walk in TD for the aggies. if I remember correctly we ended up stopping them on that drive. but I have known to be wrong before.
I think it's a common event whether it is in AR or around the world where a group of Hog fans get together.  I've seen it in TN, TX, LA and in Germany.  Being a Razorback is like being in a brotherhood.  When the brotherhood meet, they call the Hogs.

DukeOfPork

Yeah, both teams made critical errors.

But A&M is a better team, so they overcame their errors and finished strong.  They know how to win; we're on our way, but not there yet.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Uberanubis on September 27, 2014, 11:30:01 pm
with out the illegal formation call it would have been 21-7 early in the second half, and this is a moot point.  we can get in to semantics all day, but the point is, there is no one single play that doomed us. there wer lots of plays that we could change and we have a different out come.

heck lets play the other side of the ball. if the aggie receivers had not dropped so many wide open passes we could have lost by 21-30 points. now how does that feel?

I never said any one play doomed us.  Just that if I had to pick one play that was the most significant, it was the tripping penalty.  I get that it wasn't the be all end all play.  No play was. 

You disagree.  Great.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: DukeOfPork on September 27, 2014, 11:32:31 pm
Yeah, both teams made critical errors.

But A&M is a better team, so they overcame their errors and finished strong.  They know how to win; we're on our way, but not there yet.

Yes, we didn't have enough talent in key areas to overcome the mistakes.  They did. 

Atlhogfan1

The most frustrating part about today was losing to such an overrated coach and underachieving program.  The Aggies are probably a little better this season.  If this loss had happened to any number of other programs it wouldn't be as frustrating.  Instead, these frauds get to continue on for another game at least.

I'm excited for our program.  Unlike previous seasons, I don't dread playing Bama.  I'm as excited as 2010 if not more so to see the Hogs play Bama in Fay.  I look forward to playing UGa in Little Rock.  I wish we didn't have an off week.  We may not win either but we are competitive again unlike 2012, 2013 and even 2011 vs Bama and LSU.  I'm enjoying college football again for now and look forward to our games for the first time in a few seasons.  Again, I just hate we let a total fraud of a program off the hook today and look forward to when they get beaten and exposed. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

N HOG

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on September 27, 2014, 11:46:32 pm
The most frustrating part about today was losing to such an overrated coach and underachieving program.  The Aggies are probably a little better this season.  If this loss had happened to any number of other programs it wouldn't be as frustrating.  Instead, these frauds get to continue on for another game at least.

I'm excited for our program.  Unlike previous seasons, I don't dread playing Bama.  I'm as excited as 2010 if not more so to see the Hogs play Bama in Fay.  I look forward to playing UGa in Little Rock.  I wish we didn't have an off week.  We may not win either but we are competitive again unlike 2012, 2013 and even 2011 vs Bama and LSU.  I'm enjoying college football again for now and look forward to our games for the first time in a few seasons.  Again, I just hate we let a total fraud of a program off the hook today and look forward to when they get beaten and exposed. 

It's not sour grapes -- I agree with you that the Aggies will get exposed soon.

It is beyond frustrating what happened in this game.

We are poised to go up 35-14 in the fourth quarter in a game we are dominating and end up losing.

hogsanity

Quote from: Uberanubis on September 27, 2014, 11:30:01 pm

EDIT: lets not forget the guy who fell down on his way to a walk in TD for the aggies. if I remember correctly we ended up stopping them on that drive. but I have known to be wrong before.

THERE WAS NO HOG TD CALLED BACK FOR ILLEGAL FORMATION!
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: N HOG on September 27, 2014, 11:49:49 pm
It's not sour grapes -- I agree with you that the Aggies will get exposed soon.

It is beyond frustrating what happened in this game.

We are poised to go up 35-14 in the fourth quarter in a game we are dominating and end up losing.

Yep.  My opinion of A&M and Sumlin hasn't changed.  Can't accuse me of sour grapes.  I've been frustrated at Freeze and Ole Miss the past two seasons for choking vs A&M and I'm as frustrated now with the Hogs losing to this program.  But I think we are close to turning a corner and this is way ahead of where I thought we could be. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

gchamblee

Quote from: HOGness4life on September 27, 2014, 10:27:43 pm
I'm glad we stand for something and are the more ethical team. I wouldn't in a million years want to sacrifice my morals for a win like A&M did tonight.

Kenny Hill should be ashamed talking trash to our sideline like he was. How about focusing on the game? It was disgusting watching them after the game storm the field, a time when teams usually shake hands. Aggies lack class so they apparently forgot about this. Most upsetting of all however was the cheating Aggie ref who threw a very late flag on Skipper for "tripping". What is this kindergarten? Skipper is 6'10", his legs have to fall somewhere. And the A&M defender didn't even fall down. The "penalty" was on the opposite side of the field as the ball/play. I hope that Aggie ref remembers the fact that he cheated and it haunts him every day for the rest of his life.

I like our team and I like the fact that we choose to act the right way, win or lose.

Onwards and upwards glorious Hogs!!!!   :razorback: :razorback:

Blythevillehog72315

Some of you guys are crazy for saying that Texas a@m are a better team then us cause they are far from that we gave the game away really cause a@m are who we thought they were and we let them off the hook >:(

Uberanubis

Quote from: hogsanity on September 27, 2014, 11:49:57 pm

that would be my mistake. I would be misinformed on the play. I was at work and happen to catch the play in question and it was a td. I went to my hole and a co-worker came to me and said it was called back due to an illegal formation on the offence. would have been in the second quarter on a nicely thrown ball to a wide open receiver.

regardless the point is we shot our selves in the foot to many times for 1 play to be the difference maker in this game.

hogfan stuck in texas

We gave the game away. The refs didn't cost us the game. The trip was a legit call and to be fair not a CLASS ACT but dirty play. Had this been flipped we would have a different tune about it being a good no call. Not being able to execute a snap from center cost us a couple of times, not being able to run the clock out after the defense comes up with the interception cost us, not having a kicker who can kick beyond an extra point or not able to put the ball in the end zone on a kickoff and giving them great field positon(especially the opening drive) killed us and so on. We have to many fans who are jealous of the fact that A&M has come to the SEC and proved most of us wrong thinking they would get wiped off the college landscape by leaving the Big 12. They don't have to recruit real hard right now as they are coming to Sumlin knocking his door down to play for the aggies. It has been more of a struggle for us when our program has been set back many years by Petrino's actions and a lunatic that follwed him. BB needs time to get his recruits in here and we have to say there has been much improvement thus far. This time last year we aren't even able to have a chance to win.

z1on

Daily reminder that Hogness4life is a aggie fan. Look at his posts, 90% aggie.

popcornhog

I'm glad we stand for something and are the more ethical team. I wouldn't in a million years want to sacrifice my morals for a win like A&M did tonight.

Kenny Hill should be ashamed talking trash to our sideline like he was. How about focusing on the game? It was disgusting watching them after the game storm the field, a time when teams usually shake hands. Aggies lack class so they apparently forgot about this. Most upsetting of all however was the cheating Aggie ref who threw a very late flag on Skipper for "tripping". What is this kindergarten? Skipper is 6'10", his legs have to fall somewhere. And the A&M defender didn't even fall down. The "penalty" was on the opposite side of the field as the ball/play. I hope that Aggie ref remembers the fact that he cheated and it haunts him every day for the rest of his life.

I like our team and I like the fact that we choose to act the right way, win or lose.

Cheating? This isn't Nam Donny, there are rules.

Great game by the hogs though. WPS
WPS

RazorChuck

Quote from: code red on September 27, 2014, 10:46:29 pm
Before u post remember 0-14.  Winning......isn't easy.  Winning is why folks celebrate.  Losing is why folks make excuses.  Bottom line.....we can't throw the spheroid when we have to....its killing us.
But apparently when the refs call it lopsided on all the critical calls it is easy for aTm, SEC!,SEC!SEC!

RazorChuck

Quote from: hogsanity on September 27, 2014, 11:49:57 pm
That is not what was said, it was said that an aggie td should have been called back, which is true. The hogs should have been up, 28-7 at that point.

ballz2thewall

Quote from: code red on September 27, 2014, 10:46:29 pm

i agree with you but with a twist. we can throw it. our passing game was surprisingly good.  the problem is going to it too often when the ground was more a needed, sure thing.
The rest of the frog.

Hogustus Caesar

Quote from: MojaveJoe on September 27, 2014, 10:30:10 pm
When the aggies stormed the field at the end, I was wondering "Are they going to tear down the goal posts after beating an unranked team?"

I thought the same thing.
"Mastering the art of discourse with the tenacity of a razorback and the eloquence of an emperor – HogustusCaesar, where discussions meet greatness."

ballz2thewall

cheating? 

wouldn't want to win like that?

we're a bit too old for this, i think.  might work in sunday school, though.
The rest of the frog.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on September 27, 2014, 11:37:40 pm
I never said any one play doomed us.  Just that if I had to pick one play that was the most significant, it was the tripping penalty.  I get that it wasn't the be all end all play.  No play was. 

You disagree.  Great.

Yes, the tripping penalty was big. What was also big was that Hill came into the 4th quarter with 207 passing yards for the game. In the 4th quarter alone he threw for 179 yards and 2 TD's.

I'm not meaning to discount how some of our mistakes throughout the game hurt us or that another TD would have likely have seen this score reversed. But when you give up 179 yards passing in one quarter, that can change the game and in this case, it did.
Go Hogs Go!

GolfNut57

If you really mean what you say in your thread title then you should know that to "lose with class" it means no crying about calls from the ref after the fact. To "lose with class" means you tip your cap to the other team in recognizing them for a hard fought come from behind win.

btw, the call was legit.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: DukeOfPork on September 27, 2014, 10:38:47 pm
Bielema was 38-0 with a 14 point lead in the 4th quarter.  But now he is 38-1.

That's what a legit top 10 team does.  They overcome the odds and figure out how to get it done. 

They owned us in the 4th quarter and overtime.  Our fans need to acknowledge that.
why ?   acknowledge anything but the score
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

TNRazorbacker

September 28, 2014, 07:24:43 am #49 Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 07:34:47 am by TNRazorbacker
Oh gawd

The call on Skipper was completely legit. If I was calling the game, I mean literally on the field wearing my Hog hat and suspenders over the zebra stripes, I would have made that call. Here's an idea, if you don't want to get called for tripping... don't trip.

They were celebrating because they won. Literally coming back from a 14 point deficit to win in OT. Its understanding that we might not know it, but it tends to be exciting.

Everybody trash talks.