Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Well Guys...

Started by HogFanatic, September 28, 2014, 11:18:32 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HogFanatic

Can we beat Alabama?

My head is telling me no way in hell. But as I was telling a co-worker the other day, this is the year to catch Alabama I think. They are turning the ball over an awful lot this year.

Despite what happened yesterday, I was very impressed with Arkansas's defensive effort throughout the game. Are they good enough 1) to force Alabama into turning the ball over a few times, and 2) are they going to be fired up enough to put points on the board against Alabama?

It's a tall order.

Also, I am sick and tired of this team blowing games in the second half. Say what you will, but I think that loss yesterday falls on Chaney's shoulders. He can't orchestrate a 2 minute offense to save his life. It's all or nothing with that guy. Two minute offense doesn't NECESSARILY mean you have to throw the ball on every damn down.

CallThemHawgs!

At home, gonna be a big crowd... very emotional group with something to prove.

We have a punchers chance

Dark Helmet Hog

Quote from: John Quincy Poodle on September 28, 2014, 11:19:44 am

I agree there is a chance. Probably not going to happen though.

Ragnar Hogbrok

They have Lane Kiffin as an OC.  We have a chance. Like the poster above me said, a puncher's chance.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

HogFanatic

Quote from: John Quincy Poodle on September 28, 2014, 11:19:44 am

It may play into our favor a bit that Alabama is now running a more open offense. Arkansas has done pretty well against this style of ball all year. I don't buy into this notion that Arkansas wore down in the second half of that game yesterday. I think some boneheaded play calling and that untimely penalty did us in. Once the momentum shifted to A&M our team looked like they lost their fire.

Damnit Dan Skipper! We all love ya, but you gotta control yourself a bit! You didn't even trip the guy!

Uberanubis

another respectable loss. but when you lose that's all you can ask for.
Quote from: East TN HAWG on January 31, 2015, 11:37:05 am
I think it's a common event whether it is in AR or around the world where a group of Hog fans get together.  I've seen it in TN, TX, LA and in Germany.  Being a Razorback is like being in a brotherhood.  When the brotherhood meet, they call the Hogs.

The NewEra

Quote from: Ashley Schaeffer on September 28, 2014, 11:18:32 am
Can we beat Alabama?

My head is telling me no way in hell. But as I was telling a co-worker the other day, this is the year to catch Alabama I think. They are turning the ball over an awful lot this year.

Despite what happened yesterday, I was very impressed with Arkansas's defensive effort throughout the game. Are they good enough 1) to force Alabama into turning the ball over a few times, and 2) are they going to be fired up enough to put points on the board against Alabama?

It's a tall order.

Also, I am sick and tired of this team blowing games in the second half. Say what you will, but I think that loss yesterday falls on Chaney's shoulders. He can't orchestrate a 2 minute offense to save his life. It's all or nothing with that guy. Two minute offense doesn't NECESSARILY mean you have to throw the ball on every damn down.

If I remember correctly from one of your earlier post you're too "Hawt" to be slumming with us common folk on Hogville.

HogFanatic

Quote from: The NewEra on September 28, 2014, 11:26:40 am
If I remember correctly from one of your earlier post you're too "Hawt" to be slumming with us common folk on Hogville.

What the hell are you talking about?

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: Ashley Schaeffer on September 28, 2014, 11:25:48 am
It may play into our favor a bit that Alabama is now running a more open offense. Arkansas has done pretty well against this style of ball all year. I don't buy into this notion that Arkansas wore down in the second half of that game yesterday. I think some boneheaded play calling and that untimely penalty did us in. Once the momentum shifted to A&M our team looked like they lost their fire.

Damnit Dan Skipper! We all love ya, but you gotta control yourself a bit! You didn't even trip the guy!

Skipper looked worn out, drenched in sweat, clearly flustered... gotta have more depth.

Our secondary and LBs also got a bit worn down.

We are a few good players away from being a legit contender. We need speed at LB, Safety, and WR. Luckily we seem to be addressing those needs and our coaching thus far has proven to be outstanding on the defensive side of the ball.

As far as beating Bama, I am not going to say it wont happen. But I will say I believed coming into this that we had a much better shot at taking A&M down, and so far that seems to be correct.

Hogsmo Kramer

Despite still being pissed about yesterday I say yes we have a better than average shot.

We have two weeks to prepare and get our minds right and it's at home. Bama to me seems vulnerable so I think if we come back mentally ready from the tough loss to the aggies and slightly pissed off I think we can punch bama in the mouth.

That said we CAN NOT beat ourselves like we did yesterday with stupid penalties and have to play good sound football which I know we're capable of playing.

I think the commentator said it best yesterday that Arkansas needs to learn to finish. If we can get a lead on bama or even keep it close in the 4th we've got to get that killer mentality and put them away.

We're coming along but this team has to learn to win the big games once their back is against the wall.

Losers find a way to lose, winners find a way to win. I think we've got a team of winners they just don't completely know it yet, when it comes to the SEC, but I think and hope they come to that realization two weeks from now.

WPS!!!
Hogville = The Nexus of the Universe!!!!!

three hog night

Nobody expects us to win next week.  We can play loose and emotional.

Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 
Posters that think they are Jim Rhome are ruining message boards.

HogRedTilImDead

I think Ashley is a dude.
GO HOGS!!

HogFanatic

It seems to me that that referee was looking for a reason to call that run back. Not that the call was wrong, but if you look closely enough you could throw a flag on nearly every play at the LOS. Williams was long gone before that flag came out.

Anyways, being pissed off aside, we were right there. We clinched defeat from the jaws of victory. Again.

I took a look at the Texags board this morning and those clowns don't even realize how lucky they were to get that W yesterday. A lot of their posters are saying that A&M wins the game next year to the tune of like 58-18 or some such nonsense.

Were the guys tired? I'm sure they were, but they still had the game WON.

Hogarusa

No chance. But the good news is that it wont be 52-0.  More like 38-21
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

three hog night

Quote from: Ashley Schaeffer on September 28, 2014, 11:35:30 am
It seems to me that that referee was looking for a reason to call that run back. Not that the call was wrong, but if you look closely enough you could throw a flag on nearly every play at the LOS. Williams was long gone before that flag came out.

Anyways, being pissed off aside, we were right there. We clinched defeat from the jaws of victory. Again.

I took a look at the Texags board this morning and those clowns don't even realize how lucky they were to get that W yesterday. A lot of their posters are saying that A&M wins the game next year to the tune of like 58-18 or some such nonsense.

Were the guys tired? I'm sure they were, but they still had the game WON.

This is the first game our Oline became fatigued.  A&M rotated lots of Def Lineman and it was discussed by the announcers.  We have to admit that A&M's rotation of Def Lineman became an influence upon our Oline fatigue.   Our Oline got tired so we lost control of the line of scrimmage in the 4th, so then A&M limited our run plays.   
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 

HawgFan70

Your question "Can we beat Bama?'

No we cannot and it won't be that close. Kiffin is a superstar OC who is getting huge production out of the Bama offense. Smart will have the D ready to go, Bama is more talented, deeper and has a better coaching staff.
being smited is a sign of having a backbone and not joining in with lil smiter gangs, fire away kids

HogFanatic

Quote from: HawgFan70 on September 28, 2014, 11:38:39 am

No we cannot and it won't be that close. Kiffin is a superstar OC who is getting huge production out of the Bama offense. Smart will have the D ready to go, Bama is more talented, deeper and has a better coaching staff.

But let me ask you this... If that run hadn't been called back, and Arkansas had gone up 21 points in the fourth quarter, would you still feel this way?

Arkansas, by all rights, should have whipped A&M's ass yesterday. If that had happened, I think we would all feel a little differently about Alabama.

three hog night

I understand where you are coming from, but I wouldn't put too much stock in Bama's victory over Florida.  Bama has some deficiencies on defense that have not been there for over 5 years. 

HogFanatic

Quote from: John Quincy Poodle on September 28, 2014, 11:36:06 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoWblwKdeHg

I'm amazed at how many people haven't watched the greatest sit-com of all time.

Haha! "I'm talking about g-damn ME"

PorkerOinker

We absolutely have a chance.
"America promises equal opportunity, not equal outcomes"-Paul Ryan

HawgFan70

Quote from: Ashley Schaeffer on September 28, 2014, 11:44:00 am
But let me ask you this... If that run hadn't been called back, and Arkansas had gone up 21 points in the fourth quarter, would you still feel this way?

Arkansas, by all rights, should have whipped A&M's ass yesterday. If that had happened, I think we would all feel a little differently about Alabama.

No matter what happened yesterday will not change the fact that Alabama is more talanted than us, is waaay deeper than us and has a better coaching staff than us.
being smited is a sign of having a backbone and not joining in with lil smiter gangs, fire away kids

LZH

We haven't learned how to win yet....and I don't know if/when this team ever will.  A&M's defense was wearing out and their offense was completely frustrated with all the mistakes and dropped passes.  You could see their posture, their body language, take on that "oh crap" feel - they were on the ropes.  Problem is, we can't finish.

We had chance after chance to put them to sleep but kept finding ways to keep them alive.  And the real difference between the two teams is when the * was just about to finally hit the fan in the 4th qtr, A&M butched up and fought their way out of trouble.  We had no answer for that.

It ultimately falls upon the coaches, but someone, somehow, has to conjure up a way to keep our players focused and in the moment.  Instead of being dialed in and playing with a killer instinct, we looked tentative and tiptoed our way right out of a great win.  Until that is fixed, we're gonna have to build more than a two touchdown lead to win any SEC games at all.

The NewEra

Quote from: Ashley Schaeffer on September 28, 2014, 11:28:58 am
What the hell are you talking about?

My Bad Ashley....I mistook you for Dwight.  This post of his was what I was referencing.  Again My Bad.

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on September 26, 2014, 09:02:06 am

Kingsbury is in his second year at Tech and second year overall as a HC.  HC's have growing pains just like everyone else.  They make mistakes and they learn from them.  He has had a ton of QB's transfer out.  Some of that may have been his fault but there is only one ball so they get pissed because they aren't starting, so if we would have named one of them as a started the other 4 may have still left.

The biggest point is that Kingsbury gets an undue amount of criticism because of his looks.  It is easy for common people an h8terz to pile on if you are good looking .  I have faced this discrimination my whole life and it is unfair.  For the most part we don't go around saying hey look at me I'm good looking, give me this job I'm hawt.  Now we may get the job because we are stunning but that's not our fault  What are we going to say sorry I don't want this VP or HC job.  No, we take it just like anyone else.  So maybe Kliff wasn't ready for the job, but don't blame him, blame those who hired him.  I'm sure he is doing the best he can.

Torqued pork

I expect us to keep it close for two or three quarters.

three hog night

Quote from: HawgFan70 on September 28, 2014, 11:53:17 am

No matter what happened yesterday will not change the fact that Alabama is more talanted than us, is waaay deeper than us and has a better coaching staff than us.

Yes they are stacked with talent 3 deep with 4 and 5 stars.  Their coaches are stellar.  Bama has ALWAYS had more talent than most teams, yet they lose games to lesser talented teams.  They have lost to us over the years when we had far less talent.   

Nobody expects us to win, so we can play loose.   We will see how it goes, but I expect a close game.

Music City Hog

alohawg

Can they win in 2 weeks? I reckon, I'm not sure I can take a repeat of yesterday so soon though if they don't, last year was easier to stomach than that.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

Hogfan1660

Alabama' QB will be in the Heisman race after they play us. We seem to make every QB look like an all American!

BPsTheMan

Quote from: three hog night on September 28, 2014, 11:31:30 am
Nobody expects us to win next week.  We can play loose and emotional.

there's no chance of us losing this Saturday

Hoggish1

I like that Bama has a hard game on the road against a spread team.  Puts them where we want them to be before us.

cypert2

We are sandwiched between Ole Miss and A&M. That can't hurt.
Swinging on the two and the four.

Dominicanhog

so your saying there's a chance? ;D

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Harry Rex Vonner on September 28, 2014, 08:18:43 pm
there's no chance of us losing this Saturday

and that's good this time of year...

redeye

I agree that this is good year to beat Alabama, but their front 7 are big, so it's going to be difficult to run on them.  I've said all year that we don't have to pass much on everyone and that includes A&M.  Alabama, though, is different and will require an effective passing game.  I'm not sure if we'll play another team with that much size.

Still, I do think we can beat Alabama, but it won't be easy.  There's more to football then size.  We won't win with our passing game, so we'll have to have success running against them.

DoubleReedHawgCaller

Anything kiffin touches eventually turns to poop so we've got that going for us if the timing is right.
A couple female midgets, a few bottles of Wild Irish Rose, and a room at the Trout Inn...... who knows what may happen.....

LRRandy

Can we beat Alabama?

It's a tall order.

are you going to do this all year until you get one right? Gonna kill Auburn. Aggies are gonna Aggie. Now it's time to catch Bama. C'mon man. Anyone can just proclaim an upset every week. Eventually I guess you'll be right. Maybe?
This is fun, isn't it.

BOAR_N2BWILD

I say yes we can beat Bama. Our defense played a heck of a game vs aTm. Our offense is very comparable to Bama. Yes we can.
Phil. 4:13 "I can do all things through Him, who gives me strength."

HSVhogfan2

Quote from: BOAR_N2BWILD on September 28, 2014, 09:24:46 pm
I say yes we can beat Bama. Our defense played a heck of a game vs aTm. Our offense is very comparable to Bama. Yes we can.

AR offense is comparable to Bama? Really? So our top 10 draft pick receiver hasn't shown up on campus yet? Those plays that we get the ball out in space quickly to the speed guys? I guess they didn't want to show too much in the A&M game. I'm sure that is it.
"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

code red

If its a 3 qtr game...then yes.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

FootballFanatic89

Can we beat Alabama?

It's a tall order.

You are a funny guy. Texas A&M and AU were the perfect storm for an upset because they have questionable defenses, especially on the defensive line. You aren't going to beat Bama by emotions or because they are "weaker" than other previous Alabama teams. Alabama still has a good front four and an effective LB core. They also have a sufficient back four that can play man to man with your receivers. I believe they have the best safety in the country in landon collins. The only way you guys beat Bama is if they are +3 in turnovers and Arkansas has absolutely no turnovers and they score off of ever bama turnover with a touchdown. Also, Lane Kiffin might be a bad head coach, but he is a good offensive mind. He has blake sims looking good and has impressed me with his spread concept.

code red

Quote from: HSVhogfan2 on September 28, 2014, 09:30:21 pm
AR offense is comparable to Bama? Really? So our top 10 draft pick receiver hasn't shown up on campus yet? Those plays that we get the ball out in space quickly to the speed guys? I guess they didn't want to show too much in the A&M game. I'm sure that is it.
Agreed....this may be a better passing team than they had last year.  No doubt.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

SCRX95

Quote from: BOAR_N2BWILD on September 28, 2014, 09:24:46 pm

Bama passed 449 yards against Florida.  They lead the SEC in TOP.  They have #5 total Defense and #6 total Offense in the nation (587 ypg) that is 100 ypg more than AR.  I'm not sure I would say Bama and AR have comparable offenses.  They're no longer grind it out ball control offense under Kiffin.

HSVhogfan2

Quote from: code red on September 28, 2014, 09:38:36 pm
Agreed....this may be a better passing team than they had last year.  No doubt.

If Alabama cleans up the turnovers, no one will beat them this year. They are a rare team that is truly balanced on offense and can play 2 completely different styles.

That being said, if they turn it over 3 times against AR like they did FL, AR has a chance.
"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: FootballFanatic89 on September 28, 2014, 09:37:35 pm
You are a funny guy. Texas A&M and AU were the perfect storm for an upset because they have questionable defenses, especially on the defensive line. You aren't going to beat Bama by emotions or because they are "weaker" than other previous Alabama teams. Alabama still has a good front four and an effective LB core. They also have a sufficient back four that can play man to man with your receivers. I believe they have the best safety in the country in landon collins. The only way you guys beat Bama is if they are +3 in turnovers and Arkansas has absolutely no turnovers and they score off of ever bama turnover with a touchdown. Also, Lane Kiffin might be a bad head coach, but he is a good offensive mind. He has blake sims looking good and has impressed me with his spread concept.

And, who is your team again?

Thanks for the insight. You are just like the morons from Texas A&M that came on here and told us how we had no shot, 58-10 would be a good score, etc.

Please, save it. If you dont think Arkansas has a shot in every game it plays, especially at home, then you are clearly not paying attention to the way Arkansas is playing right now. My advice, go away and post your excellent insight on your home message board. Sorry for crashing your party, Jon Gruden.

PorkRinds

i

Nothing wrong with a little man on man action.  I didn't know you swing that way.

elksnort

I'm posting before reading but I got to say that Alabama is going to have to help us to a  win. They need to fumble, throw interceptions and do stupid things.  And we basically have to play a perfect game.

FootballFanatic89

Quote from: John Quincy Poodle on September 28, 2014, 09:46:17 pm
And, who is your team again?

Thanks for the insight. You are just like the morons from Texas A&M that came on here and told us how we had no shot, 58-10 would be a good score, etc.

Please, save it. If you dont think Arkansas has a shot in every game it plays, especially at home, then you are clearly not paying attention to the way Arkansas is playing right now. My advice, go away and post your excellent insight on your home message board. Sorry for crashing your party, Jon Gruden.

My team is the team who blew you guys out in the first game. Arkansas is playing good no doubt. You played a great game last game, but did you win? You can get your panties in a wad all you want, but Alabama is probably the best team in the nation. Until Arkansas can prove they can win in two ways

1). when the other team makes them one dimensional
2). Win a fourth quarter

then they won't beat elite teams

Get mad, pout, be upset but that is the truth. Yes, you guys have gotten better, but you aren't beating Alabama. I also said you guys weren't beating the aggies either. Just being realistic. If I am wrong then I will eat my crow, but to say you are going to beat arguably the #1 team in the nation because you played good against texas a&m is just flat out idiotic. Apples and oranges comparison.

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: FootballFanatic89 on September 28, 2014, 09:57:49 pm
My team is the team who blew you guys out in the first game. Arkansas is playing good no doubt. You played a great game last game, but did you win? You can get your panties in a wad all you want, but Alabama is probably the best team in the nation. Until Arkansas can prove they can win in two ways

1). when the other team makes them one dimensional
2). Win a fourth quarter

then they won't beat elite teams

Get mad, pout, be upset but that is the truth. Yes, you guys have gotten better, but you aren't beating Alabama. I also said you guys weren't beating the aggies either. Just being realistic. If I am wrong then I will eat my crow, but to say you are going to beat arguably the #1 team in the nation because you played good against texas a&m is just flat out idiotic. Apples and oranges comparison.

Blew us out?

On the road, with an hour + rain delay when we were tied and had you on your heels.... ok sure, whatever you say champ.

If this were on the road, sure. Its at home. Coming off a bye week. Bama will be roughed up a bit, we will be healthier, and well rested. At home gives us 10 points IMO.

Im not saying we are going to win, I am saying there is a chance. Its the SEC, there is always a chance. This is not some shitbird Vandy team going on the road to play Oregon. Get real.

Uberanubis

Quote from: Hogfan1660 on September 28, 2014, 08:12:53 pm
Alabama' QB will be in the Heisman race after they play us. We seem to make every QB look like an all American!

hill looked bad until the 4th quarter. so im not sure what you are talking about. this isn't like years passed. we are better in the secondary then we have in  been in awhile.
Quote from: East TN HAWG on January 31, 2015, 11:37:05 am
I think it's a common event whether it is in AR or around the world where a group of Hog fans get together.  I've seen it in TN, TX, LA and in Germany.  Being a Razorback is like being in a brotherhood.  When the brotherhood meet, they call the Hogs.