Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Final offensive play

Started by BirdDawg, September 28, 2014, 08:40:34 am

Previous topic - Next topic

BirdDawg

Did anyone hate that final play call as much as I did? Why do you pack in the formation when you run it Up the gut? Send a WR out wide or 2 and spread it out a little

I made quite a scene while watching the game on the final play. One of the worst calls and formations to make the call I have ever seen.  The momentum had swung but that formation didn't do any favors and set the table for success. Tough loss and I'm still pissed. Should have never have blown that game. Mentally fragile....until proven otherwise with an SEC win

Cowtown Hog

Tough to watch getting stuffed like that.  But CBB mentioned in the postgame presser that had they tried to play action and it failed then you'd second guess that decision of why not line up and run it.  Bottom line is we had to execute whatever was called and we didn't.

The Hogfather

Should've called the bootleg for Allen with 1-2 receiving options leaking out.  I think he would've been able to run for a TD.  The Ags were selling out to stuff the run.  I want to have some options when it is do or die.

Dillar Dog

You made quite a scene?  Wish I could've been there for that.

LivingLegends

If you go back and watch it again you'll see AC not following his blocks on the left side.  It appeared that is where the play was supposed to go.  If he got through the line he'd had scored.

BirdDawg

My prob isn't really execution. It is the setup. Why not spread a few players out. You have 11 defensive guys within three yards of the ball carrier.

Hogarusa

No issue at all.  We continue to hear that we have the biggest OL in all of football.  They should be dominant in the 4th quarter and OT and be able to get Alex Collins 2 yards for a first down.  They got whupped at the line.
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

ChicoHog

Quote from: Hogarusa on September 28, 2014, 09:14:52 am
No issue at all.  We continue to hear that we have the biggest OL in all of football.  They should be dominant in the 4th quarter and OT and be able to get Alex Collins 2 yards for a first down.  They got whupped at the line.
You are right but still it was so obvious that we running right up the gut.  I agree with doing a bootleg.  Of course if we would have done something on first or second down it would have been a moot point. 

t418

I would have called a timeout seeing this.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Piggfoot

I am not a fan of short yardage dive plays with a tight formation unless you obviously have superior fresh linemen. If you recall last year against LSU I believe we were stuffed at the goal line. The defensive NT anticipated the count and knocked our center into the backfield.
It is in my opinion football coaches version of mine is longer and bigger than yours. Every football coach at times falls prey to this vanity. Additionally constantly run blocking and driving your legs is more tiring than pass blocking. We were tired.
That being said, everyone knows our weaknesses. We will have to recruit our way to improvement. It is imperative we find safeties with speed. Our safeties made some good short plays but over the top kills us.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

popcornhog

Quote from: BirdDawg on September 28, 2014, 08:40:34 am
Did anyone hate that final play call as much as I did? Why do you pack in the formation when you run it Up the gut? Send a WR out wide or 2 and spread it out a little

I made quite a scene while watching the game on the final play. One of the worst calls and formations to make the call I have ever seen.  The momentum had swung but that formation didn't do any favors and set the table for success. Tough loss and I'm still pissed. Should have never have blown that game. Mentally fragile....until proven otherwise with an SEC win

Surely you can't be serious? We were doing what we are very good at -- unfortunately it didn't work. Less than perfect execution. It's not that play that lost this game.

Jesus, have you watched us play this year.

Dumbest post of the year candidate.
WPS

Kevin

Coach, any play you call that does not work, gets questioned.  Lame answer
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

tampahog

completely agree we should have bootlegged, sweep, or something else outside that gives us room to make something happen in space.  yes, we are a good running team but not when there is 11 in the box.

BassinHawg

NOT ONE FREAKIN BOOLEG OR SCREEN!!!
"It is what it is." has replaced "Yesssss Sirrrrr!!!!"

swinesation

The blocking on the left side and up the middle was excellent on that play. Collins ran to the right side, which was the worst of three choices. Up the middle he gets the two yards. To the left he scores. Arinze destroyed his guy on the left.

Wildhog

I understand why don't run the screen.  What I don't understand was why we got away from the play action in the second half.  Needed to keep them honest. 

The playcalling to end the first half (the inexplicable switch to a 4-wide spread) was some of the worst I've ever seen.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Mr. Hog

I'm far from being a coach but I just didn't see running it up the gut with the Defense lined up like they were.
Go Hogs Go!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: BirdDawg on September 28, 2014, 08:40:34 am

Just my opinion but I would have had JWill in as opposed to Collins. We didn't need "shake and bake" we needed hard nosed running on that play. JWill's modus operandi.

Beyond that, I would have had JWill in and given him a hard fake hand off and have taken a chance of having BA roll out the opposite direction of the hand off with the ball hidden on his hip. He hadn't ran the ball all day and they expected us to power it into the line, which is exactly why there were 11 in the box. I think I would have tried to do the unexpected and try to out-flank them with BA running outside.

Logic tells you that the shortest distance between you and your goal is to run straight ahead, but sometimes slight of hand can produce greater results. I'm sure the staff would love to have "do-overs" on that particular play, but you get one shot.

I thought that was a bad call given how the 4th quarter had gone in the run game, but I am not getting paid to make these decisions, like all of us on here.
Go Hogs Go!

Breems

Quote from: The Hogfather on September 28, 2014, 08:43:59 am
Should've called the bootleg for Allen with 1-2 receiving options leaking out.  I think he would've been able to run for a TD.  The Ags were selling out to stuff the run.  I want to have some options when it is do or die.

I'm wondering if they trust Allen during critical situations. I thought he looked good last night, but the stats actually were less impressive than I thought. Even my cupholder knew we were going to run in that situation.

We're now a 1.5-dimensional team. Enough to stay close in games but enough to hurt us in critical situations.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

Dillar Dog

Quote from: Wildhog on September 28, 2014, 10:51:48 am
I understand why don't run the screen.  What I don't understand was why we got away from the play action in the second half.  Needed to keep them honest. 

The playcalling to end the first half (the inexplicable switch to a 4-wide spread) was some of the worst I've ever seen.

They talked about it yesterday.  The coaches said they've tried but it isn't very successful with the size of our linemen.

hawg66

Quote from: LivingLegends on September 28, 2014, 08:48:05 am
If you go back and watch it again you'll see AC not following his blocks on the left side.  It appeared that is where the play was supposed to go.  If he got through the line he'd had scored.

This.  He tried to bounce it.  The line had some push at the hole. Tthere was a reason they ran behind Tretola.  Not to knock Collins, he's awesome.  I'd have had Williams run that carry.

HogFanatic

Earlier in the game Alex Collins went 50 yards for a score when the Aggies had ALL 11 guys up front. This makes no sense to me. They KNEW we could blow them off the line and run at will. Again, the play calling just isn't very good. A bootleg would have been a sure fire TD in that situation, IMO.

Late in the game something happens to our ability to call plays. I don't think it's execution so much as it is stubbornness or what have you. 2 minute offense = 3 incomplete passes. More than once. Amateurish.

Wildhog

Quote from: Dillar Dog on September 28, 2014, 11:14:53 am
They talked about it yesterday.  The coaches said they've tried but it isn't very successful with the size of our linemen.

They were talking about the screen.  I get their reasoning with that.  I'm talking about the play action.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

LJHOG

Quote from: BassinHawg on September 28, 2014, 10:47:09 am
bootleg ok, screen no.  O line not good blocking in space.

Dillar Dog

Quote from: Wildhog on September 28, 2014, 12:15:43 pm
They were talking about the screen.  I get their reasoning with that.  I'm talking about the play action.

Yep.  I'm still drunk.

And about to get drunker.

Bebop

Quote from: BassinHawg on September 28, 2014, 10:47:09 am

I see that formation and I'm going bootleg, screen, slant, or fake toss. I'm not going to go where we have normally been going, which is what we did. Personally, I would have done a bootleg. BA didn't run the ball all day. That would have been a good time to do so.

Bebop

Quote from: Ashley Schaeffer on September 28, 2014, 12:01:41 pm
Earlier in the game Alex Collins went 50 yards for a score when the Aggies had ALL 11 guys up front. This makes no sense to me. They KNEW we could blow them off the line and run at will. Again, the play calling just isn't very good. A bootleg would have been a sure fire TD in that situation, IMO.

Late in the game something happens to our ability to call plays. I don't think it's execution so much as it is stubbornness or what have you. 2 minute offense = 3 incomplete passes. More than once. Amateurish.

Right on.

farmhawg

I said the same thing yesterday.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

BirdDawg

Quote from: popcornhog on September 28, 2014, 09:54:06 am
Surely you can't be serious? We were doing what we are very good at -- unfortunately it didn't work. Less than perfect execution. It's not that play that lost this game.

Jesus, have you watched us play this year.

Dumbest post of the year candidate.

Really? Last time I checked that play didn't work. Your reply constitutes a dumb post.

The momentum had shifted and it was NOT an ideal formation...thus the outcome. Sure they are a good running team but they needed a little boost after blowing a 14 point lead and then giving up a touchdown quickly in OT

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 28, 2014, 11:11:36 am
Just my opinion but I would have had JWill in as opposed to Collins. We didn't need "shake and bake" we needed hard nosed running on that play. JWill's modus operandi.

Agreed.  If it comes down to one back to get 2 yards JWill should always be the one to get the ball.

Tejano Jawg

Man, when I look at that picture, I agree with something outside—bootleg, etc. Or, quick release pass to TE. Seeing the Aggies D in that pic, I count all 11. That is tough going...no matter how good our running game is.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

bphi11ips

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 28, 2014, 11:11:36 am

Beyond that, I would have had JWill in and given him a hard fake hand off and have taken a chance of having BA roll out the opposite direction of the hand off with the ball hidden on his hip. He hadn't ran the ball all day and they expected us to power it into the line, which is exactly why there were 11 in the box. I think I would have tried to do the unexpected and try to out-flank them with BA running outside.

Logic tells you that the shortest distance between you and your goal is to run straight ahead, but sometimes slight of hand can produce greater results. I'm sure the staff would love to have "do-overs" on that particular play, but you get one shot.

I thought that was a bad call given how the 4th quarter had gone in the run game, but I am not getting paid to make these decisions, like all of us on here.

+1 I know that was hard for you.  Not being facetious.  Sometimes it's okay to question the coach.  That's why they call this forum MMQB.  For $3M a year I'll trade places with him and read Hogville an hour every day.

The photo above says it all. Defense had a two man advantage.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

I see the play we did run usually failing no matter the team, coaches or competition unless its a rent a win.  Our formation encourages them to put the entire team in the box and then its our line against their team.  Nearly any thing we would have run outside with just a little speed is likely to get the yardage or score.  I don't think we trust BA to run it wide and make excellent decisions on the go nor do we seem to trust Korliss to be in the game with Collins or JWill so it appears we got an outside possibility.  This is our game, run the damn thing right into their strength cause we are bigger, quicker and just meaner than they are. 

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: bphi11ips on September 28, 2014, 01:40:01 pm
+1 I know that was hard for you.  Not being facetious.  Sometimes it's okay to question the coach.  That's why they call this forum MMQB.  For $3M a year I'll trade places with him and read Hogville an hour every day.

The photo above says it all. Defense had a two man advantage.

Oh that wasn't hard for me at all. I tend to call it as I see it, I want to support the staff, but when I think that I see an error, I don't mind saying that I did.

That being said, I wasn't in the box upstairs and I didn't have the benefit of having seen how the A&M defense had reacted or played against this particular set in the prevous series. Maybe they saw something (from their particular advantage that none of us had) that made them think this play call would be successful.

I am just more about utilizing the "unexpected" in a key situation like this to give us an edge. Doesn't at all mean that I would have been right had we allowed BA to perform a hard fake of the hand off and reverse out, and run the ball. It might have failed, but I would rather have somneone running the ball in the open field with one or two guys trying to tackle him, than running into a stacked 11 man front.
Go Hogs Go!

HogFanatic

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 28, 2014, 02:11:03 pm
Oh that wasn't hard for me at all. I tend to cal it as I see it, I want to support the staff, but when I think that I see an error, I don't mind saying that I did.

That being said, I wasn't in the box and I didn't have the benefit of having seen how the A&M defense had reacted or played against this particular set in the prevous series. Maybe they saw something (from their particular advantage that none of us had) that made them think this play call would be successful.

I am just more about utilizing the "unexpected" in a key situation like this to give us an edge. Doesn't at all mean that I would have been right had we allowed BA to perform a hard fake of the hand off and reverse out, and run the ball. It might have failed, but I would rather have somneone running the ball in the open field with one or two guys trying to tackle him, than running into a stacked 11 man front.

What they "saw" was Collins' 50 yard touchdown run against a goal line set earlier in the game. They got cocky.

sechog

Quote from: t418 on September 28, 2014, 09:39:01 am
Collins went 50 on that play in the first half.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Ashley Schaeffer on September 28, 2014, 02:12:22 pm
What they "saw" was Collins' 50 yard touchdown run against a goal line set earlier in the game. They got cocky.

You don't know if it was the exact same set or not, that is the problem with MMQB's. Everybody thinks that they know everything that the staff knows when the staff has considerably better advanced knowledge of the opponent through film study given down and distance situations.
Go Hogs Go!

Bebop

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 28, 2014, 02:35:39 pm
You don't know if it was the exact same set or not, that is the problem with MMQB's. Everybody thinks that they know everything that the staff knows when the staff has considerably better advanced knowledge of the opponent through film study given down and distance situations.

What would you have called if you saw that defensive formation? Personally, I'm thinking bootleg.

ricepig

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 28, 2014, 02:35:39 pm

If Alex had hit the desired hole, it was probably a first down. We got a push, but it wasn't the best and was a little slow developing. He saw pile up and head outside, unfortunately, Cook had 3 to block so there was no room.

Bubba's Bruisers

I wouldn't have even considered a pass play in that situation.  Don't trust us to pick up the 1st down in the air when it counts.  And we certainly couldn't get to the edge on running plays.  So I figure they played the odds. 
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Bubba's Bruisers

Maybe the only criticism I'd have for that play was having Collins in the game.  He still likes to dance around a bit in the back field when that play calls for no hesitation and just pound it in for a yard and a half...ala Jwill.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

txstoby

For some reason Collins broke to the right, which took longer and allowed penetration.  If he would have hit C gap or behind the LT he would have walked into the end zone. 

seasonhog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 28, 2014, 02:11:03 pm
Oh that wasn't hard for me at all. I tend to call it as I see it, I want to support the staff, but when I think that I see an error, I don't mind saying that I did.

That being said, I wasn't in the box upstairs and I didn't have the benefit of having seen how the A&M defense had reacted or played against this particular set in the prevous series. Maybe they saw something (from their particular advantage that none of us had) that made them think this play call would be successful.

Needing a td in ot.....this team is one dimensional, even though a good one,  that will get you beat against a good team.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: txstoby on September 28, 2014, 02:51:47 pm
For some reason Collins broke to the right, which took longer and allowed penetration.  If he would have hit C gap or behind the LT he would have walked into the end zone. 

Which is why I think JWILL should have been the TB on that play.

Granny fan

Quote from: t418 on September 28, 2014, 09:39:01 am

I'm old and I told my husband when I saw this that they stacked the box, and we will not get the first down! 

edt

All they had to do was fake the hand off to Alex, Brandon probably would have scored on a bootleg.

seasonhog

Quote from: Granny fan on September 28, 2014, 03:40:18 pm

I'm old and I told my husband when I saw this that they stacked the box, and we will not get the first down!

Very wise granny....................how many yards did we have rushing in the 2nd half ?

DallasHogFan

So easy to second guess a play call, especially 4th and 1. If we had missed on a pass, everyone would be up and arms about not playing to the identity of the team. We rushed for close to 300 yards yesterday and dialed up a run to get a 1. The play call was fine, it just wasn't executed well.
Let me tell you what Melba Toast is packin' right here, all right. We got 4:11 Positrac outback, 750 double pumper, Edelbrock intake, bored over 30, 11 to 1 pop-up pistons, turbo-jet 390 horsepower. We're talkin' some "Hogville Censored" muscle. -Wooderson

ATU HOG

Don't mind the play call or the formation.  Just didn't execute.  This team is made to pick that up, and we just didn't.  Would have been ballsy calling the boot, but we were ballsy a lot during the game. 

In hindsight it's easy looking back saying we should have done this or that.  Just gotta execute better next time.

DeltaBoy

Amen
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.