Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Reverse to derby?

Started by IllinoisRazorbackFan, September 28, 2014, 08:38:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hogsanity

Quote from: 31to6 on September 29, 2014, 04:22:24 pm
It was sooooo slow.

I'm not a fan of running a bad play in the hopes of setting up a good play later on.

thing is, you usually don't know a play is bad until AFTER you run it.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Martygit

Quote from: hogsanity on September 29, 2014, 04:31:45 pm

HUH????
RIP OTR, REV

Martygit

Quote from: hogsanity on September 29, 2014, 04:31:45 pm

Whoa!!!!! I thought that unless there was a guarantee that a play would work, it shouldn't be called - so, if you run a play that doesn't work it's really bad and the coach should be fired - you're introducing a whole new concept into this discussion.
RIP OTR, REV

Hawgphish

I would much rather see marshall play some slot and run jet sweep or reverse with him.  Still don't know why we can't play 2 of the 3 running backs at the same time.  Not every down but some.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Kevin on September 29, 2014, 04:27:29 pm
i am ready for the cameron jefferson reverse play

They'll never see it coming!  That makes it a good play, right?  We can run it to set up the offensive guard reverse pass later in the game.

Martygit

Quote from: Hawgphish on September 29, 2014, 05:20:41 pm
I would much rather see marshall play some slot and run jet sweep or reverse with him.  Still don't know why we can't play 2 of the 3 running backs at the same time.  Not every down but some.

You need to call the Broyles/Matthews complex and give them your phone number so they can call and get your advice - I'm sure it would make a HUGE difference in the success of our program  ::)
RIP OTR, REV

ricepig

Quote from: MartinGit on September 29, 2014, 06:01:49 pm
You need to call the Broyles/Matthews complex and give them your phone number so they can call and get your advice - I'm sure it would make a HUGE difference in the success of our program  ::)

Better call the Fred Smith Football Center, I doubt the number crunchers at the BAC care about the advice.  :D

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: ShadowTheHedgehog on September 28, 2014, 11:54:51 am

I wonder if the plan was for Derby to pass it but he had to try to run it due to penetration on the line.

Doubt the play had any intention of being a pass.  Derby was running to his left & he is right handed.  Not impossible, but harder to get much on the ball & throw it very far downfield with accuracy....running to his left.  Since Derby is not real fast, any pressure would have kept him from stopping & setting up for a good throw.
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

DeltaBoy

Bad Call unless you got Joe Adams to run it !
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

AugustaHog

This play was a terrible call.  I think if Derby was split wider and had more depth, it has potential as a pass play.  AJ is athletic as a TE, but he doesn't have the speed to break an around end against SEC defensive speed.  Chaney was pretty good otherwise.  He really maneuvered around some of our bonehead plays pretty well.  His calls helped get BA comfortable and kept TAMU on their toes.  In the end he is responsible for helping to make sure we don't drop snaps, don't hold on crucial pass plays, and don't trip people when our back is 20 yds out the backdoor.  No need to get the pitchforks, but these things need to improve if we want to go bowling.  Playcalling (outside of the one play) was enough to win the game.  His play calls were worthy of 2-3 more TDs.

DeltaBoy

But we didn't win so it Falls on the Staff.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

rljjr

Man, you guys can't have it both ways ...
"oh, we're too stale up the middle."
"Why do we run outside with a TE?"
"Oh, we're so predictable running up the gut!"
"Man, we should do something to loosen up the D in the middle."

Sweet babydoll parts, if that is what you guys want to complain about then fine, but THAT call didn't work. The defense gets to vote, too. Maybe it wasn't blocked well. Maybe the D sniffed it out. Maybe the TE was going to throw but it got blown up. Maybe, maybe, maybe. IF, If, If. 

Biggus Piggus

They were trying to keep the Ags from bunching in the middle. Unfortunately the sweeps and stuff were not well executed.
[CENSORED]!

KennyForAD

Quote from: DoctorSusscrofa on September 28, 2014, 02:50:13 pm
You guys just prefer a predictable offense.

On the first play of the second half, when we received, after taking a lead before half... and our offense had been very successful. Yes.  Predictability was in order, and I'm sure he'd be the first to say the TE reverse was a poor call in hindsight.

The Hogfather

Tight End reverses are always bad calls in my estimation.  Reverses aren't, just tight end reverses.