Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Commish Bowlsby doesn’t see “obvious candidates” for Big 12 expansion

Started by jbcarol, October 30, 2014, 12:51:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby is not focused on expanding the conference to 12 members to get a conference championship game back on the schedule because of the lack of ideal candidates available.

Quote"In our case, I don't know that there are a lot of obvious candidates out there," Bowlsby said in a Q&A with The Oklahoman. "We're distributing about $25 million per school through our distributable revenue, so anybody that would be considered for expansion in our league would have to bring at least pro-rata value."

Schools that have been tied to some form of expansion rumor or another in recent years have included Florida State, Clemson, UCF, USF, Cincinnati and BYU. It has been a few years now, and there has been no movement from the Big 12 to expand after adding West Virginia and TCU.

The Longhorn Network is a boulder in the road. It really is. They did something that almost no other institution in the country could do because of the population in the state, and we're looking at some way to try and morph that around a little bit. ... It really begs the question about, how are we going to get our sports in the years ahead? If technology changes in the next five years as much as it's changed in the last five years, we're not going to be getting our sports by cable TV. I don't know what it'll be. But increasingly, we're using mobile devices ... Google Network and Apple TV and things like that are coming into play. ... I'm not sure the world needs another exclusive college cable network. Rather than trying to do what everybody else has done, I would much rather try to figure out what tomorrow's technology is and get on the front side of that and be a part of what happens going forward and monetize that.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

HamIAm

Can you imagine if this guy had been SEC commissioner instead of Kramer or Slive.

Hawghiggs

I just don't see how that conference is held together. It has always lacked leadership.