Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Was the tripping call legit?

Started by Peppa Pig, September 27, 2014, 09:02:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Lips

For the people saying it shouldn't have been called because it was so far away from the play.... Tripping isn't like holding where holding a player 30 yds from the play isn't really am issue, tripping is one of those "safety" penalties that will get called anywhere on the field because of the that of injury to a player.  It could happen 80 yds away and they'd call it.

footballfan

Quote from: N HOG on September 27, 2014, 09:47:41 pm
Someone answer this - has Bama EVER had a TD called back in a close game?

Amari Cooper had one called back just last week against Florida when it was still close. So, yeah. So has Auburn, so has LSU, and florida and Georgia. Jesus we have some beta types in here.

PorkerOinker

Quote from: Choctaw Hog on September 27, 2014, 09:52:54 pm
The SEC has a vested interest in keeping their high-ranked teams ranked high and that call will be made 100% of the time when the underdog appears to put the nail in the coffin of the SEC "favorite".

My god stop with the SEC protecting top teams crap, that was 100% on Skipper and no one else. When you kick a guy in the shin on purpose it will be called.
"America promises equal opportunity, not equal outcomes"-Paul Ryan

footballfan

Quote from: Lips on September 27, 2014, 09:53:06 pm
For the people saying it shouldn't have been called because it was so far away from the play.... Tripping isn't like holding where holding a player 30 yds from the play isn't really am issue, tripping is one of those "safety" penalties that will get called anywhere on the field because of the that of injury to a player.  It could happen 80 yds away and they'd call it.

Don't burst their fantasy bubble that this is a conspiracy against Arkansas and that these type of calls only go against Arkansas.

forrest city joe

Quote from: PorkerOinker on September 27, 2014, 09:54:04 pm
My god stop with the SEC protecting top teams crap, that was 100% on Skipper and no one else. When you kick a guy in the shin on purpose it will be called.
How about that holding call that took away Huner Henry's TD. you like that one too? both calls were BS in my opinion. and never would have been called against a team like Alabama. that's my point. some day you will get it.

Russ22

Quote from: Hogarusa on September 27, 2014, 09:30:31 pm
Where are you guys coming up with this rule that because it took place away from where the ball was then it shouldnt be a penalty?  Thats not how it works.  If an infraction happens anywhere on the field and the ref sees it, then a flag is thrown.  It does not matter one bit if its 60 yards from where the play is.
That's true.  If it were holding away from the point of attack, then usually the ref will warn and discuss it that way. Tripping is a PF because it involves player safety.  You have to call it. 

BTW, I told my dad on Wednesday that Skipper would get a PF because of his reputation.
For the latest Arkansas High School 7-on-7 football news:

http://7on7football.blogspot.com/

redeye

Quote from: ricepig on September 27, 2014, 09:34:39 pm

You see it all the time when o-linemen get beat on a speed rush, usually not on a run away from the play. Correct call, just a picky one.

I'd +1 if I could, because that's what bothers me.

TNRazorbacker

Quote from: Lips on September 27, 2014, 09:53:06 pm

Agree, and it was blatant in this case, not incidental. Whining that a call that should have been made was made is weak. 

Cowtown Hog

CBB was very direct and honest in his presser about the play - clarified that the coaches in the booth after it happened confirmed that it was indeed a penalty. It wasn't the leg whip on when he first went to the ground. it was the deliberate attempt to trip the player afterwards when he was in pursuit of the play.  It was behind the play and a call coaches loathe!  But sticking or whipping your leg to trip a player is a player safety issue, and for that reason it's mandatory that officials call it.  Maybe something less they let go, but they aren't going to over look a violation like that.

Sir Oinksalot

Quote from: Nuttcracker, Sweet! on September 27, 2014, 09:36:06 pm
He committed a penalty on the play, right in front of an official. Yes, it had nothing to do with JWill's 57 yard gain, but that's what makes it all the more frustrating.

We had been abusing #23, a true freshman FS all day. Why on Earth anyone would feel the need to trip the kid right in front of an official on the other side of the field who had no chance to make a play, I'll never understand..

Skipper is a stud player, but he is being watched by officials closely, all LTs are, but especially our #76. That was a dumb play that completely swung the momentum their way.

I appreciate how hard he plays and hustles, but we must play hard and SMART! We have a smaller margin for error vs SEC West teams because the talent of our opponents is usually at least somewhat better than ours right now.

We do not have the playmakers at WR to overcome DUMB penalties, fumbled center snaps, regardless of whose fault they were, and playcalling that ranges from going cutesy when your base plays are working to ultaconservative and back with no rhyme or reason at times.

Not  to mention receivers who stop short of the 1st down marker by 3-4 yards on 3rd down at least twice.

I am convinced that BA's completion pct. would be very good to outstanding if he didn't have to throw the ball away so much due to WRs not getting separation.

It was telling when Danielson said he asked the A&M DC about our receivers and he only mentioned Hunter Henry...

Hatcher is decent, he made some good plays today, but he is not an SEC #1 WR. He could develop into a good #2 or 3 maybe. We don't presently have an SEC level #1 at that position. Cornelius and Edwards have good potential but are freshmen. Hollister is a good possession guy.

KJ Hill, JoJo Robinson or someone else will be needed in 2015 to make an impact. Our talent at LB and even the secondary is much improved from last year, but the WR talent is still lagging behind. It's the least talented position on the team IMO.

I don't understand why that slow pitch play is one of our 'go tos' it's only in the play book to allow an SEC team to swarm the ball carrier and
smash his face in the ground.....

Go right at these guys and keep going straight at them.....they love our sideways stuff...

Go straight at them then play action.....it's worked forever...
Be ye therefore like the grasses and yield
to the inevitable forces of Nature,
and in so yielding survive...

footballfan

Quote from: forrest city joe on September 27, 2014, 09:57:10 pm
How about that holding call that took away Huner Henry's TD. you like that one too? both calls were BS in my opinion. and never would have been called against a team like Alabama. that's my point. some day you will get it.

well, your opinion isn't worth much. Alabama had a touchdown called back last week against Florida. So, yeah. Get over your paranoia. We lost because a player did a stupid, dirty play. Direct your anger there, not at some fantasy involving the SEC "protecting" its top teams.

PorkerOinker

FCJ I would like to think you are better than this, but you cannot deliberately KICK a guy in the shin trying to knock him down and get away with it no matter how far behind the play it is.
"America promises equal opportunity, not equal outcomes"-Paul Ryan

hogsanity

Quote from: PorkerOinker on September 27, 2014, 10:06:56 pm
FCJ I would like to think you are better than this,

Why would think that?

Don't you know the hogs have not lost a game in about 60 yrs that wasn't the refs fault.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Hogarusa

Dang you cry a lot. Perhaps when we win multiple conference and national titles, we will start getting some benefits from the refs.  Until then, sack up and dont put yourself in a position to have a missed call from the ref possibly decide the outcome.  Their last 3 TDs were 87, 60+, and 25 yard TD throws.  Play sum pass D.
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

bpoecell

I have a better question. Did A&M get called for any of the blatant **** they did? Nope. Holding, tripping, chop blocking, all legal if you're wearing the right colors.

bpoecell

Gotta agree with Joe here. Their line got away with murder and we got flagged for a sneeze.

aloha_kid

Quote from: Peppa Pig on September 27, 2014, 09:02:54 pm
Please tell me it was.

We just got home from the game and that was the difference. Up 21 in the 4th and it's over. I'm sure it's been discussed here but I can't find it. Anyone have video?  Was it an obvious penalty? They wouldn't show it at the stadium at all.

Yep ... he earned that one.

SemperFi

Quote from: Cowtown Hog on September 27, 2014, 10:01:06 pm
CBB was very direct and honest in his presser about the play - clarified that the coaches in the booth after it happened confirmed that it was indeed a penalty. It wasn't the leg whip on when he first went to the ground. it was the deliberate attempt to trip the player afterwards when he was in pursuit of the play.  It was behind the play and a call coaches loathe!  But sticking or whipping your leg to trip a player is a player safety issue, and for that reason it's mandatory that officials call it.  Maybe something less they let go, but they aren't going to over look a violation like that.

Well, that gives a much better explanation to what happened. What they showed on the replay was absolute nonsense and did not show Skipper tripping the defender. Regardless, the Hogs were flat out the better team and found a way to lose this game. Mental toughness is still an issue with this team, but they'll eventually get it and when they do scrub teams like aTm will not be able to count on dumb penalties to keep them in the game.

The one bright spot in this is that today, tomorrow and for as long as we have breath in our lungs we are Razorback fans and on the flip side, Aggies will always be exactly that, an Aggie.  :puke:
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

GlassofSwine

Quote from: jg8417 on September 27, 2014, 10:27:34 pm
Skipper trip

There you go. Just a dumb penalty. Regardless of how many yards JWill ran for that is still a ridiculous penalty to incur.

footballfan

Quote from: GlassofSwine on September 27, 2014, 10:37:42 pm
  There you go. Just a dumb penalty. Regardless of how many yards JWill ran for that is still a ridiculous penalty to incur.

I hope they show that in film and ask him, "was it worth it?"

bkjbearcat

Quote from: BOAR_N2BWILD on September 27, 2014, 09:07:10 pm
Did he do it? Yes
Was it away from the play? Yes
Would it have been called on Bama or Auburn or aTm? absolutely not

+1

Kind of reminds me of the Tuck Rule. So obscure of a rule no one knew what the hell it was until it got called one playoff game and really hasn't been called since.
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

hogsanity

Quote from: bkjbearcat on September 27, 2014, 10:58:15 pm
+1

Kind of reminds me of the Tuck Rule. So obscure of a rule no one knew what the hell it was until it got called one playoff game and really hasn't been called since.

this is not some obscure rule, and it is called several times every Sat.  I dont even think this is the 1st time it has been called in a Hog game this year.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Break & Run

Quote from: PorkerOinker on September 27, 2014, 09:52:53 pm
It was behind the play and Skipper deliberately kicked the guy in the shin, could've been called personal foul just as easily as tripping. Inexcusable play on Dan's part, he will learn from it hopefully.

It was called a personal foul.
Quote from: Michael BernalWhat's your favorite Arkansas tradition?
"I can't be cliché and say 'Call the Hogs,' but I think I have to.  That's just something that sets our university apart.  When you're out on the field and everyone in the stadium stands up, it's amazing.  Even when we're at a football or basketball game, just to see that many people around you doing the same thing for you when you're on the field or for the other guys who are playing, it's pretty awesome."

hogsanity

no one with any working brain cells can watch that clip and still claim it was a bogus call.

bphi11ips

Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

TazorTusk

"Someone answer this - has Bama EVER had a TD called back in a close game?"

In 2003 I attended the Hog game at Tuscaloosa when we won in double overtime.  Bama was not ranked under Shula that year (so the theory that the league's officials might protect the highly ranked team does not apply here) but the only way we won that game was because of a call that went against Bama after we failed to score in the first overtime.  Here is how an account of that point in the game reads:

"Arkansas started with the ball in overtime and lost yardage right away. On fourth-and-25 from the 40, Charles Jones intercepted Arkansas' desperation pass in the end zone.

The Tide looked to be in perfect position, but several defensive players were called for an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty for a prolonged celebration in the end zone after the interception. That meant the next drive would start at the 40.

"These are the ones that hurt the most," safety Roman Harper said. "We've got the game locked and the defense gave it away with stupid penalties and missed tackles."

On fourth-and-short, Croyle kept the ball for a first down and Alabama moved into position for the win. But Bostick's field goal was wide left, sending the game into a second overtime.

Had I been a Bama fan that day I'd felt like a ref's call cost my team the game.  The call obviously favored the visiting team.  It was the correct call but one that the refs could have overlooked.  It aided the Hogs greatly.

I had no problems with the way this game was officiated today.  The refs did not beat us.  We made some dumb penalties, and hopefully we will get smarter because of it.  I think there will come a time in the not too distant future when we can win even with a few dumb penalties, but I hope that the future will find us not only getting stronger and faster but smarter also.

Go Hogs.

forrest city joe

Quote from: hogsanity on September 27, 2014, 11:10:21 pm
no one with any working brain cells can watch that clip and still claim it was a bogus call.
Trey flowers disagrees. he was held all day and they got away with it. on some of those long passes he was being held. but yea that's ok with guys like you. it pisses me off.

footballfan

Quote from: forrest city joe on September 27, 2014, 11:43:39 pm
Trey flowers disagrees. he was held all day and they got away with it. on some of those long passes he was being held. but yea that's ok with guys like you. it pisses me off.

I noticed you didn't respond when I answered your absurd rantings with inconvenient facts. Why am I not surprised?

hogsanity

Quote from: forrest city joe on September 27, 2014, 11:43:39 pm

ok, first we are talking about people claiming the tripping call was bogus, but hey don't stay on topic or anything.

Second, i figured it would make you sick, not pi#$ed off.

Oh and Trey Flowers wont watch the tripping call and say t was bogus, he will say it was stupid and pointless.

TikiHog

100% correct call and the replay makes it look even worse

Sir Oinksalot

Quote from: TazorTusk on September 27, 2014, 11:40:25 pm
"Someone answer this - has Bama EVER had a TD called back in a close game?"

In 2003 I attended the Hog game at Tuscaloosa when we won in double overtime.  Bama was not ranked under Shula that year (so the theory that the league's officials might protect the highly ranked team does not apply here) but the only way we won that game was because of a call that went against Bama after we failed to score in the first overtime.  Here is how an account of that point in the game reads:

"Arkansas started with the ball in overtime and lost yardage right away. On fourth-and-25 from the 40, Charles Jones intercepted Arkansas' desperation pass in the end zone.

The Tide looked to be in perfect position, but several defensive players were called for an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty for a prolonged celebration in the end zone after the interception. That meant the next drive would start at the 40.

"These are the ones that hurt the most," safety Roman Harper said. "We've got the game locked and the defense gave it away with stupid penalties and missed tackles."

On fourth-and-short, Croyle kept the ball for a first down and Alabama moved into position for the win. But Bostick's field goal was wide left, sending the game into a second overtime.

Had I been a Bama fan that day I'd felt like a ref's call cost my team the game.  The call obviously favored the visiting team.  It was the correct call but one that the refs could have overlooked.  It aided the Hogs greatly.

I had no problems with the way this game was officiated today.  The refs did not beat us.  We made some dumb penalties, and hopefully we will get smarter because of it.  I think there will come a time in the not too distant future when we can win even with a few dumb penalties, but I hope that the future will find us not only getting stronger and faster but smarter also.

Go Hogs.

...excuse me gramps, but wasn't that the year Bama HAD to fire one of their own...?

Birmingham Does have an agenda and Arkansas isn't part of it...

Wake up, my God, drink some coffee and get back to me...

The SEC is a stinking cesspool, but, they pay good...

Be ye therefore like the grasses and yield
to the inevitable forces of Nature,
and in so yielding survive...

Hogwild

Quote from: hogsanity on September 27, 2014, 11:10:21 pm

can't argue with that

hellwonthaveme

Quote from: EastArkHog 47 on September 27, 2014, 09:41:53 pm
See it however you choose but it was still a BS call

?????? Do you know football? It was a penalty... plain and simple. I love Dan Skipper but that was as blatant a penalty as I have seen in a while. Not only did he do it once, he did it again to make sure homeboy hit the turf.

PRJ

hellwonthaveme

Quote from: Sir Oinksalot on September 28, 2014, 12:01:39 am
...excuse me gramps, but wasn't that the year Bama HAD to fire one of their own...?

Birmingham Does have an agenda and Arkansas isn't part of it...

Wake up, my God, drink some coffee and get back to me...

The SEC is a stinking cesspool, but, they pay good...

So you are saying the tripping call was because of a evil SEC plan? My God man, it was a blatant trip.

PRJ

Arkfan

Do those of you that think the call was bogus and the refs screwed little old Arkansas again realize that he wasnt called for the penalty when he first fell down and landed on his back. The penalty was called a second or so later when he obviously lifted his leg to trip a player. Yeah, it was away from the play but that doesnt (or shouldnt) make it a no call.

Steef

Whether or not Bama would have gotten this called...is moot. Whether it impacted the play...is moot. Whether Trey was being held all day...is moot.

Skipper broke the rules. Stupidly, I might add. We don't need him or anyone, doing THAT...ever.

It was a legit call by a zebra who may have made other non legit non calls during the game. And it happened to COINCIDENTALLY come on a crucial play.

Are they watching him? Almost certainly. Are they NOT watching some others? Almost certainly? Is it fair that we have to play by rules and others don't?

Yes. It is. 

Because if we just throw out the rules for everyone, that is chaos.

And because we're Arkansas and by golly, we ARE better than them! We're UNCOMMON....and we'regonna build, and get better and beat the damn cheaters WITHOUT cheating!

And we need for Skipper to be uncommon, too. And the lesson he just learned, as he has to look JWill in the eye, on the plane home, will stick with him for life.

Because JWill...and Alex...are already uncommon. And Dan knows it.

I'm all in.

We WILL get there.

ballz2thewall

Quote from: redeye on September 27, 2014, 09:28:48 pm
Legit or not, when was the last time anyone saw that called in a game?

probably the last time it was committed by a 6'10" 320+ behemoth away from the play, right in front of a ref.
The rest of the frog.

RazorChuck

RazorChuck

Man I sure could wear out a smite button in this topic, it was not legit, quit trying so hard to look like the smart guy in the room, you're not.

southarkhog06

well I wouldn't want to be him at practice next week

ricepig

Quote from: RazorChuck on September 28, 2014, 05:42:40 am
It was not legit, that is all.

You read the thread, watched the replay, and still don't think the call was legit?

Steef

Quote from: RazorChuck on September 28, 2014, 05:50:23 am
Man I sure could wear out a smite button in this topic, it was not legit, quit trying so hard to look like the smart guy in the room, you're not.

No one who uses a smite button, much less boasts about it, needs to be talking about being smart.

GolfNut57

Quote from: Arkfan on September 28, 2014, 05:01:13 am
Do those of you that think the call was bogus and the refs screwed little old Arkansas again realize that he wasnt called for the penalty when he first fell down and landed on his back. The penalty was called a second or so later when he obviously lifted his leg to trip a player. Yeah, it was away from the play but that doesnt (or shouldnt) make it a no call.

Very true. How many times has everyone seen a kickoff or punt return go for big yardage, sometimes even a touchdown, only to see it nullified because of a block in the back on a play that was clear across the field and in no way involved in the return?
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

Poop Hoggy Hogg

ya it was a legit tripping call. The first time was not called, but after the second time it drew too much attention. Refs should have let it go since it was nowhere near the play

Kevin

Legit call yes.  Just not called many times in that situation

Funny how they see that, but canot see the flinch by the wr on the ot play
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

GolfNut57

Well they sure saw the receiver downfield call on A&M that cost the Aggies a TD. Instead of tying the game at 14 there the Aggies ended up missing a chipshot FG.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: RazorChuck on September 28, 2014, 05:42:40 am
It was not legit, that is all.

Based on the rule governing that, please explain why you feel it was not a legit violation of the rule and why you think the call shouldn't have been made. And by the way, the location on the field where it occurs has nothing to do with whether it was a legit call or not.

http://ruletool.info/rule/954/2014/9-1-2-c/
Go Hogs Go!

WarPig88

Quote from: Peppa Pig on September 27, 2014, 09:02:54 pm
Please tell me it was.

We just got home from the game and that was the difference. Up 21 in the 4th and it's over. I'm sure it's been discussed here but I can't find it. Anyone have video?  Was it an obvious penalty? They wouldn't show it at the stadium at all.

It was. It was stupid. Totally unneeded.

Josh Goforth

Quote from: RazorChuck on September 28, 2014, 05:50:23 am