Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Was the tripping call legit?

Started by Peppa Pig, September 27, 2014, 09:02:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogsanity

I would guess those saying it was bogus also like all the me me me show off players who get penalties for taunting. They are wannabe bad boys who think rules are in place just to keep people down.

Or maybe they just aren't very smart.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

bpoecell

The call was legit, but the on-call on A&M were bogus.

TxArky

Quote from: Lips on September 27, 2014, 09:53:06 pm
For the people saying it shouldn't have been called because it was so far away from the play.... Tripping isn't like holding where holding a player 30 yds from the play isn't really am issue, tripping is one of those "safety" penalties that will get called anywhere on the field because of the that of injury to a player.  It could happen 80 yds away and they'd call it.

This. 

Also, I was glad that for the most part they just let the boys play the game.  Both teams got some "no calls".  It seemed to me that if it wasn't blatant or an issue of safety, they didn't make the call. 

alohawg

Quote from: PorkerOinker on September 27, 2014, 09:54:04 pm
My god stop with the SEC protecting top teams crap, that was 100% on Skipper and no one else. When you kick a guy in the shin on purpose it will be called.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

alohawg

"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

naturalbornpigger

The officials may indeed protect top ranked SEC teams.  However this was not an instance of such.  Dumb play by Skipper.  But it's over - he'll learn.  We'll be better because of it.

Hoggish1

Quote from: Nuttcracker, Sweet! on September 27, 2014, 09:36:06 pm
He committed a penalty on the play, right in front of an official. Yes, it had nothing to do with JWill's 57 yard gain, but that's what makes it all the more frustrating.

We had been abusing #23, a true freshman FS all day. Why on Earth anyone would feel the need to trip the kid right in front of an official on the other side of the field who had no chance to make a play, I'll never understand..

Skipper is a stud player, but he is being watched by officials closely, all LTs are, but especially our #76. That was a dumb play that completely swung the momentum their way.

I appreciate how hard he plays and hustles, but we must play hard and SMART!

+1

DeltaBoy

Heck no cause Williams was 30 yards down field when Skipper fell.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

jfred59

Quote from: naturalbornpigger on September 28, 2014, 04:34:11 pm
The officials may indeed protect top ranked SEC teams.  However this was not an instance of such.  Dumb play by Skipper.  But it's over - he'll learn.  We'll be better because of it.

OK...call was legit, even if the holding in first half wasnt, but we all know without a shadow of a doubt that the SEC officials have direct orders from Mike Slime himself, that they will protect higher ranked teams

Lips

Also I remember an obvious facemask that should have gone against us but didn't get called, it was on a third down where we made a stop on the next play and forced a punt.  Bad calls and missed calls happen all the time, it's just the team that loses always point them out.

ICEman

So was about 7 holds by the Aggies wideouts on our comers.
"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."

Pork Twain

Very good call and a very bad move by one of our best OL
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

dhornjr1

Quote from: ricepig on September 27, 2014, 09:36:18 pm
Depends, if Bama was out of the race, yeah......

Yep. If it was an 8-3 Alabama team that was ranked 19th playing an 11-0 2nd ranked Auburn team, they would call it all day against Bama.

On the other hand, that same Auburn team could literally grudge rape Nick Saban at midfield and Alabama would get an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty for trying to stop it.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Watched the play again.

Your job as an official is to let the players decide the game.

That didn't happen. That ref that threw that flag is garbage.

Steef

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on September 28, 2014, 07:29:27 pm
Watched the play again.

Your job as an official is to let the players decide the game.

That didn't happen. That ref that threw that flag is garbage.

So what you're saying is...you don't want rules enforced to the letter...you want the zebras to have leeway to enforce rules as they see fit...any time any way.

That would make for some very rich zebras.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: steefhog on September 28, 2014, 07:32:24 pm
So what you're saying is...you don't want rules enforced to the letter...you want the zebras to have leeway to enforce rules as they see fit...any time any way.

Pretty much what happens anyway.

hogsanity

Quote from: steefhog on September 28, 2014, 07:32:24 pm

So I guess these people would be okay if away from the play AC got blindsided, or Henry got tripped and injured a knee. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Hogs-n-Roses

Yes it was a legitimate call. So was the holding. We just aren t that smart yet. Got to get the mental part of the game down better.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: hogsanity on September 28, 2014, 07:41:42 pm
So I guess these people would be okay if away from the play AC got blindsided, or Henry got tripped and injured a knee. 
Missed that play where the ATM player got hurt because of skipper.

hogsanity

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on September 28, 2014, 07:44:45 pm

didnt say he got hurt, but player safety is why tripping, facemasking, spearing, clipping, and chopblocking are personal fouls.

Russ22

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on September 28, 2014, 07:44:45 pm
Tripping is a PF because of the potential for injury. That is why it is irrelevant whether or not it influenced the play. Bielema has emphasized player safety in other areas including new tech helmets. I can't fathom why this is hard to understand.
For the latest Arkansas High School 7-on-7 football news:

http://7on7football.blogspot.com/

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: hogsanity on September 28, 2014, 07:46:14 pm
didnt say he got hurt, but player safety is why tripping, facemasking, spearing, clipping, and chopblocking are personal fouls.
Saw tons of chop blocking on ATM that didn't get called.
They can pretty much pick and choose when they want to call it. They just so happened to take 14 points from arkansas.

Jerrajo

Quote from: forrest city joe on September 27, 2014, 11:43:39 pm
Trey flowers disagrees. he was held all day and they got away with it. on some of those long passes he was being held. but yea that's ok with guys like you. it pisses me off.

Can you provide video evidence of those holds on the long passes ? I didn't see them.

This is on CBB. He promised us mistake free football. Playing just the opposite is what cost us this game. I put this one squarely at his feet. And coach agrees.

Fort Dweller

Quote from: Jerrajo on September 28, 2014, 08:01:16 pm
Can you provide video evidence of those holds on the long passes ? I didn't see them.

This is on CBB. He promised us mistake free football. Playing just the opposite is what cost us this game. I put this one squarely at his feet. And coach agrees.

Because that's what a good coach does.  he takes the blame.  But I'd bet a shiny nickel he doesn't tell Skipper to sweep the leg or tell Henson to push it 20 yards left of the upright.

Most of the mistakes came from young players.  We'll improve.
Quote from: Fatty McGee on June 03, 2012, 09:43:59 pmRabid gay rampage?  That's quite a phrase.  I picture rundown neighborhoods being gentrified by angry, fit, childless, and well dressed mobs.
Quote from: sharpd1 on September 23, 2012, 08:33:21 pmSome of the people posting on here aren't good at brain stuff.
Quote from: PonderinHog on June 26, 2013, 11:15:49 pm
What if he chews a Poptart into the shape of two men holding hands - or worse?
Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 19, 2015, 10:09:07 am
Did you really click on the "report to moderator" button.  And not only that but do it on yourself? 

TPS_Report

QuoteTripping is a PF because of the potential for injury. That is why it is irrelevant whether or not it influenced the play. Bielema has emphasized player safety in other areas including new tech helmets. I can't fathom why this is hard to understand.

Just like teams practice, refs practice too.  Certain infractions are drilled into them to call in a snap.  When they see it, they reflexively call it.  It isn't like they make some sort of calculation based on proximity to the play, impact on the game, etc.  These calls are reflex.  We see it in the NFL with the targeting the qb's head/helmet calls.  Half of them involve minimal contact, but the ref's flag is flying before he can process that it wasn't really a blow to the head but just a touch to the helmet.  Same thing happened on the tripping play.  Reflexive flag on an obvious trip. 

There were several non-calls that impacted both teams.  The Razorbacks are much improved this season.  Hopefully y'all will lay the wood on some unsuspecting SEC West team shortly.

A&M and Arkansas are going to have some classic battles over the next several years.  This one was the first.
I bleed maroon and I wipe burnt orange.

Sivad

Quote from: BOAR_N2BWILD on September 27, 2014, 09:07:10 pm
Did he do it? Yes
Was it away from the play? Yes
Would it have been called on Bama or Auburn or aTm? absolutely not
Correcto.

Boared feet

Disappointing to say the least. a few up/downs next week will give him the motivation to get up and do the work instead of what we saw.