Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Defensive Recruiting? Where's the D?

Started by intelligence, September 26, 2014, 10:33:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

intelligence

I'm starting to be concerned with our lack of defensive recruiting? can anybody update us on our top targets? i'm not criticizing our staff at all, just a concerned hogfan with our lack of progress in defensive recruiting thus far.

DoubleJ

I'll start....Jamario Bell went OFF tonight, recording 5 sacks.  He's going to be solid on the D-Line.

ricepig

Quote from: DoubleJ on September 26, 2014, 10:38:46 pm
I'll start....Jamario Bell went OFF tonight, recording 5 sacks against Fayetteville.  He's going to be solid on the D-Line.

Jamario plays for Junction City, they didn't play Fayetteville, haha.

intelligence

Quote from: DoubleJ on September 26, 2014, 10:38:46 pm
I'll start....Jamario Bell went OFF tonight, recording 5 sacks.  He's going to be solid on the D-Line.

Right i realize we have 4 commits on the DL, and i'm ecstatic about that. I'm more concerned about the secondary and Lb corps. any news there?

DoubleJ

Quote from: ricepig on September 26, 2014, 10:40:07 pm
Jamario plays for Junction City, they didn't play Fayetteville, haha.

Dang, I thought I edited that before anyone caught it!  Haha, I saw Northside played Fayetteville and got him mixed up with Daytrion Dean.  Nonetheless, Jamario had 5 sacks tonight.

DoubleJ

Quote from: intelligence on September 26, 2014, 10:42:33 pm
Right i realize we have 4 commits on the DL, and i'm ecstatic about that. I'm more concerned about the secondary and Lb corps. any news there?

I hope that's the main area of concern for the rest of the class.  That seems to be our constant weak spot.  We still have almost half of the class to go, though.  It's shaping up to be a pretty solid year.

intelligence

Quote from: DoubleJ on September 26, 2014, 11:58:33 pm
I hope that's the main area of concern for the rest of the class.  That seems to be our constant weak spot.  We still have almost half of the class to go, though.  It's shaping up to be a pretty solid year.

hell yes it is. By my rough estimation, its already one of the best we've ever had in my time as a hog fan. It would be great to finish out with a flurry of defensive recruits, but if we can't get em, might as well load up on offense i guess.

secneahog

If we can't get them? You think just because we don't have any DBS early on that we can't get them?  NSD is long ways away. We are on a bunch of guys. Take a reality pill.
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

Steef

It could also be that some recruits are still waiting to see how our season goes. And that would be fair.

twistitup

This has been an issue for years

I wish we produced more in state D talent.
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Boarcephus

I know we have 15 oral commitments and 11 are on the offensive side of the ball.  Still a long ways to go and you have to be impressed with the recruiting this staff has done under a less than ideal set of circumstances.  I believe when all is said and done, the remaining offers will be defensive heavy. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

orgkeith

Next year the D talent is the best in years.  Grades will always be a ? though.

tusksincolorado

We will get our next "Larry Jackson" in this recruiting class. Don't worry!

GO HAWGS!
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

coastalrazorback

Looking at next year's top three on 247:
1. Austin Capps, 4* DT
2. McTelvin Agim, 4* DE
3. Deontre Hardwick, 4* LB

Those are three that we need for sure. When was the last time there was a 4* star linebacker in the state?

SemperFi

Quote from: intelligence on September 26, 2014, 10:33:16 pm
I'm starting to be concerned with our lack of defensive recruiting? can anybody update us on our top targets? i'm not criticizing our staff at all, just a concerned hogfan with our lack of progress in defensive recruiting thus far.

You do realize that we've got Hjalte Froholdt, Jamario Bell, Jeremiah Ledbetter and Daytrieon Dean all committed? We do need to concentrate our efforts on the back 7, but the DL is well taken care of.

Derrick Graham (OLB) is still on the list and from what I've read we're in good shape with him. Deshawn Raymond (CB) is being spoken about a ton as well as Kahlil Haughton (S). I've heard some other names popping up, but not sure what their status is. Our Coaching staff will be spending some extra time down in Texas this week and so they are putting in the effort. Just hope that we can start seeing some commits in the form of CB's and Safeties and hopefully a LB or two.

Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

onebadrubi

You're just drunk... oh wait, that was your question in jump ball not recruiting form, but same answer fits the bill!  haha

Vantage 8 dude

Do you honestly think that CBB and the defensive staff aren't acutely aware of our need to upgrade and improvement our depth on that side of the ball? Think that with all their experience that guys like Robb Smith, Jennings and others aren't acutely cognizant of that fact? I have a news flash for you: while most of our commits thus far are on the offensive side, don't think for a minute that much of the remaining slots won't be dedicated to defensive talent. LBs, DBs and another lineman or two are likely where the vast majority of the remaining spaces in this coming class will filled. Have patience and all your angst will be addressed.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: SemperFi on September 27, 2014, 10:06:16 am
You do realize that we've got Hjalte Froholdt, Jamario Bell, Jeremiah Ledbetter and Daytrieon Dean all committed? We do need to concentrate our efforts on the back 7, but the DL is well taken care of.

Derrick Graham (OLB) is still on the list and from what I've read we're in good shape with him. Deshawn Raymond (CB) is being spoken about a ton as well as Kahlil Haughton (S). I've heard some other names popping up, but not sure what their status is. Our Coaching staff will be spending some extra time down in Texas this week and so they are putting in the effort. Just hope that we can start seeing some commits in the form of CB's and Safeties and hopefully a LB or two.

I do think that as we build in this process, we could use a big time JC DT transfer to help shore up the inside better. I know we have Hodge who has another year, Philon with 2 more years, Johnson with 3 more years and Jackson with three more as well, but I do think our depth could be helped with a major run stopper/pass rusher in the middle that helps push everyone else.
Go Hogs Go!

forrest city joe

Are you kidding me? we have 3 four star defensive Linemen committed in this class already. when is the last time that has happen?and we will add more defensive players to that. chill out.

tophawg19

i think this will be an offensive heavy class . at least 1 RB 2 OL AND 2 more wr's , or 2 rb's and 1 more WR . i believe this staff is happy with the young defensive kids inn the back 7 and may only add a few more
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

davril98

FATHAWG08

This staff will get it done on both sides of the ball. It's hard to recruit after the last 2 seasons,& the job they done is incredible. Now they can go  in recruit's  home  with something to sell what we are doing on the field. Our defense gave us a chance to win this game but we didn't get it done, simple as that. We got an upgrade in coaching on defensive side of the ball. We will finish strong in recruiting on the back 7. This class will put us on track to finish games
I love off season Football!!

Letsroll1200

Linebacker and Safety are killing us. Martell is playing pretty good but we are hurting in the middle. B. Ellis is young but he is not natural in space. If you are a top line backer you can start at Arkansas.

intelligence

Quote from: forrest city joe on September 27, 2014, 01:52:40 pm
Are you kidding me? we have 3 four star defensive Linemen committed in this class already. when is the last time that has happen?and we will add more defensive players to that. chill out.

i've already acknowledged the 4 line commits, see my second post in this thread. no reason to come unhinged at everyone who says anything remotely critical in regards to recruiting. My concern lies in the lack of secondary and linebacker recruits, and to my knowledge i don't even know of any targets here. I am in no way shape or form criticizing our staff, just stating a concern, and asking for information on possible targets on the defensive side of the ball at lb and db/s. perhaps it is you who needs to "chill out"

intelligence

Quote from: secneahog on September 27, 2014, 08:01:26 am
If we can't get them? You think just because we don't have any DBS early on that we can't get them?  NSD is long ways away. We are on a bunch of guys. Take a reality pill.

We've recruited poorly defensively for years, and so far it has only changed a very small bit, with cbb pulling in some 3 stars that he holds in high regard, some of whom are already seeing playtime, and not doing too bad of a job for freshman. I'm simply asking what our targets are here(back 7) so i can gain a deeper insight into our strategy at this point on the recruiting trail. perhaps you are the one in need of a "reality pill".

intelligence

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on September 27, 2014, 12:56:32 pm
Do you honestly think that CBB and the defensive staff aren't acutely aware of our need to upgrade and improvement our depth on that side of the ball? Think that with all their experience that guys like Robb Smith, Jennings and others aren't acutely cognizant of that fact? I have a news flash for you: while most of our commits thus far are on the offensive side, don't think for a minute that much of the remaining slots won't be dedicated to defensive talent. LBs, DBs and another lineman or two are likely where the vast majority of the remaining spaces in this coming class will filled. Have patience and all your angst will be addressed.

I'm not criticizing or down playing the staff. that's where you're trippin'. I'm trying to find out who our targets are in the back 7. my cause for concern is that we aren't hearing anything on that front, but it could be they are being intentionally quiet on the matter for a variety of a reasons.

intelligence

Quote from: coastalrazorback on September 27, 2014, 10:05:03 am
1. Austin Capps, 4* DT
2. McTelvin Agim, 4* DE

Those are three that we need for sure. When was the last time there was a 4* star linebacker in the state?
Brooks Ellis lol. But about Hardwick, from what i've heard he's legit. Really i've heard that about Agim and Capps too

intelligence

Quote from: steefhog on September 27, 2014, 08:05:30 am
It could also be that some recruits are still waiting to see how our season goes. And that would be fair.
True, and i did realize that. I thought there might be a chance someone on here would know who were looking at here, but its possible they dont want to "tip the hat" to our competition.

TMc

They are on them.., and trying like heck to get them.

Oklahawg

The perpetual bleating about recruiting acknowledges we don't understand the process. From August 1 to November 1 is a downtime, relatively, as players focus on their senior season. Odd, really, to get visits before November as players are worried about their own HS team.

We have a DE from LA who has us #1 with FL #2. A CB from LA who is down to LSU and UA, I have been told we have a legit shot at him. We have a fine LB from FL who almost committed last weekend. Some scuttlebutt that a committed 4-star Safety is visiting this fall, risking their scholarship offer at the school where they committed.

All are players we covet as fans. Not sure that we have room for all, honestly.

I would bet we see a few new names in the next week as the Metroplex recruiting push pays dividends, as does as solid showing vs A&M.

If we get one every two weeks we fill the class on signing day. Relax, we don't even know what the staff is seeing in practice and with the scout team/redshirts that affects the final few scholies.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Hedgehawg

1. Austin Capps, 4* DT
2. McTelvin Agim, 4* DE

Van Stumon was a 4* LB if I remember correctly.  He turned out to be a decent FB.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: tophawg19 on September 27, 2014, 03:33:21 pm
i think this will be an offensive heavy class . at least 1 RB 2 OL AND 2 more wr's , or 2 rb's and 1 more WR . i believe this staff is happy with the young defensive kids inn the back 7 and may only add a few more

A bit of a different take... I think  2/3 LB's, 2 more DB's, 2/3 DL's..7 on D.. 3 on O.. 1 more OL, 1RB, 1 WR or 2 RB's.

TMc

We can't miss on LB's and Safeties this class. 

ckhawgu

We certainly need some good Safeties in this class!!!

Tim Harris

Since the coaches are spending some extra time out recruiting this week I'm hoping we see things pick up on the defensive side of the ball.  Personally I wouldn't be upset if every spot we have open is used on a defensive guy.

Tusks

i do not get why a batman or lawrence richardson or chris houston type players are not lining up to play for the hogs.  they can start from day one, get great great coaching and play in the SEC.

hell now days they could come in and play 3 years and then go to the league.  don't get it, don't get it, don't get it.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

tophawg19

Quote from: Dominicanhog on September 28, 2014, 10:10:58 am
A bit of a different take... I think  2/3 LB's, 2 more DB's, 2/3 DL's..7 on D.. 3 on O.. 1 more OL, 1RB, 1 WR or 2 RB's.
with the possible loss at RB and lack of production at WR , i think 5 go to offense 1 Carr at RB , 2 Pettaway at WR  3 reed at WR  4 o=line kid from OKLA . 5 we must have 1 more OT in this class .

tophawg19

next year is the one where i think we go hogwild on defense

CDBHawg

Quote from: Tim Harris on September 28, 2014, 01:27:38 pm
Since the coaches are spending some extra time out recruiting this week I'm hoping we see things pick up on the defensive side of the ball.  Personally I wouldn't be upset if every spot we have open is used on a defensive guy.

Going to need some OL as well. 5 are leaving and that leaves us with only 12 on scholarship next year. Two being true freshmen. And 2015 could see us losing as many as 6. That's 9-11 leaving over the next two years. We need OL more than what most think. The numbers there have taken a dip since moving Ollison, Boyd, & Ward.

Tim Harris

Quote from: CDBHawg on September 28, 2014, 02:22:41 pm
Going to need some OL as well. 5 are leaving and that leaves us with only 12 on scholarship next year. Two being true freshmen. And 2015 could see us losing as many as 6. That's 9-11 leaving over the next two years. We need OL more than what most think. The numbers there have taken a dip since moving Ollison, Boyd, & Ward.

Those same kind of arguments could made about several position groups. I know we will add another OL or 2 but at the same time you could argue we need to sign 5-6 DBs and 3-4 LB.

There aren't enough spots for us to sign everyone we need. That is another reason why I don't have to have another RB or WR like several others here.

BatesvilleHOG

1. Austin Capps, 4* DT
2. McTelvin Agim, 4* DE

last year. Zach Wary of Rogers was a 4* on 247

BentonvilleJeff

I like our freshmen cb's and think they all pass the eye test. Plus the two lb's that are true freshmen look like good future players. I think what's missing is a stud safety to go along with Liddell.

Nuttcracker, Sweet!

Quote from: tusked on September 28, 2014, 01:40:24 pm
i do not get why a batman or lawrence richardson or chris houston type players are not lining up to play for the hogs.  they can start from day one, get great great coaching and play in the SEC.

hell now days they could come in and play 3 years and then go to the league.  don't get it, don't get it, don't get it.

We hopefully do better than Batman "The Human Holding Call" Carroll. One of the most over-rated players we ever signed. The pros over-rated him too based on his 40 time as his career in GB lasted maybe 2-3 years.

Both our coaches and the Packers' put carwash mitts on him in practice to try to get him to quit holding. He just shrugged and said he was going to keep on holding on... what an idiot!
Making fun of Hootie since 2003

Nuttcracker, Sweet!

I don't think recruiting O Linemen is ever going to be a problem for this staff. IMO Randy Shannon is going to bring in more good LBs than we've had in a long time and the same for Jennings in the secondary.
Making fun of Hootie since 2003

Hog Fan from Camden

Pettway might make a pretty good safety.  He seems to be getting his share of ints this year.

outlawhogeywells

Need to get tre greenlaw. Kid is legit. Can play safety or lb.

PorkRinds

Quote from: outlawhogeywells on September 29, 2014, 01:05:33 pm
Need to get tre greenlaw. Kid is legit. Can play safety or lb.

Never heard of him... ;)

FWF79

FWF79

onebadrubi

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 29, 2014, 01:07:06 pm
Never heard of him... ;)

He's got a younger brother named tree, that dude has some ARMS but sticks for hands, hence why he's a DB