Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pettway-Does Anyone Know?

Started by trashcan maN, September 23, 2014, 06:44:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

trashcan maN

Gragg just said on DTS that Pettway will be a Hog.

Some have questioned whether he is a FS or WR on the SEC level.

Does anyone know for certain what position we are recruiting him for? Are we just recruiting him as an Athlete?

It sounds like hes a Hog lock. Whats the hold up?

His whole recruitment has just seemed strange to me. Cant get a feel for whats going on there.

trashcan maN

OK cool. I live oit of state. Havent seen him play. It seemed like someone respectable suggested he projected better as a FS. Maybe not.

Fort Dweller

Quote from: trashcan maN on September 23, 2014, 07:51:54 pm
OK cool. I live oit of state. Havent seen him play. It seemed like someone respectable suggested he projected better as a FS. Maybe not.

OM was recruiting him for defense and offense.  Pettway himself said so on RD's radio show. 
Quote from: Fatty McGee on June 03, 2012, 09:43:59 pmRabid gay rampage?  That's quite a phrase.  I picture rundown neighborhoods being gentrified by angry, fit, childless, and well dressed mobs.
Quote from: sharpd1 on September 23, 2012, 08:33:21 pmSome of the people posting on here aren't good at brain stuff.
Quote from: PonderinHog on June 26, 2013, 11:15:49 pm
What if he chews a Poptart into the shape of two men holding hands - or worse?
Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 19, 2015, 10:09:07 am
Did you really click on the "report to moderator" button.  And not only that but do it on yourself? 

Polecat

I'm planning to go to the Nashville game this week. Excited to see the young man play. Scrappers also have a soph RB that's pretty salty.
Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

kingofdequeen

just think what Pettway could do if Billy Laird were still coach.

rolyat_2008

Quote from: trashcan maN on September 23, 2014, 06:44:43 pm
It sounds like hes a Hog lock. Whats the hold up?

His whole recruitment has just seemed strange to me. Cant get a feel for whats going on there.
numbers are tight

HoggusMaximus

Quote from: Fort Dweller on September 23, 2014, 07:57:58 pm
OM was recruiting him for defense and offense.  Pettway himself said so on RD's radio show. 

If thats the case it would make sense that he would decommit from Ole Miss and be a hog since we need depth at WR.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: HoggusMaximus on September 23, 2014, 08:25:58 pm
If thats the case it would make sense that he would decommit from Ole Miss and be a hog since we need depth at WR.

We would need to sign 50 in every class to fill all the "needs" and "must gets" that are thrown around on Hogville.

I'm pretty sure our staff understands what our needs truly are, and how best to meet them.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

HoggusMaximus

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on September 23, 2014, 08:39:31 pm
We would need to sign 50 in every class to fill all the "needs" and "must gets" that are thrown around on Hogville.

I'm pretty sure our staff understands what our needs truly are, and how best to meet them.

No one is arguing that the staff knows what needs to be done. What is your point?

neahogfan180

How would a Pettway commit effect the team ranking?

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: HoggusMaximus on September 23, 2014, 09:22:24 pm
No one is arguing that the staff knows what needs to be done. What is your point?

I apologize for the lack of clarity.

How many WR's deep does this team need?  We only lose one going to next year, and there's also the possibility of the JC guy Reed, whom RD thinks is superbly talented.

Too many unknowns and too many other factors at play for us to make an intelligent statement about 'what we need' in this class.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

sickboy

Quote from: neahogfan180 on September 23, 2014, 10:13:46 pm
How would a Pettway commit effect the team ranking?

It'd move us one spot up. Ahead of Michigan.

neahogfan180

Oklahawg

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on September 23, 2014, 10:41:48 pm
I apologize for the lack of clarity.

How many WR's deep does this team need?  We only lose one going to next year, and there's also the possibility of the JC guy Reed, whom RD thinks is superbly talented.

Too many unknowns and too many other factors at play for us to make an intelligent statement about 'what we need' in this class.

Good post.

Sure will enjoy the back-story on this one when we finally get it.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

redeye

trashcan maN

Quote from: rolyat_2008 on September 23, 2014, 08:24:17 pm
numbers are tight
Hatcher-1 more year
Hollister-2 more years
Robinson-4 more years
Edwards-3 more years
Cornelius-3 more years
Morgan-2 more years
Hill-4 or 5 more years
Stewart-4 or 5 more years
Mitchell-3 more years
Hawkins-2 years
Antwine-3 more years(I think he'll get a scholly)

That is quite a few scholarship receivers for a team that rarely gets in 3 WR looks. It would be a pleasant surprise if he was a better FS than a WR.

Chief Mac

Quote from: fakebobholt on September 24, 2014, 08:19:56 am
No way we keep all these receivers if we dont start pasding more. There just isn't enough passes to satisfy all those good receivers. The awesome running game might start to run off top wide outs. They dont want to come block for the running backs.

hmmm...having a dominant running attack hasn't stopped top receivers from signing with Bama.  On the flip side, having a potent passing attack didn't really stock the cupboard with top receivers in the past.  I'm say having a coaching staff that can recruit really good makes more of a difference than style of play
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

alwaysnextyear

No way we keep all these receivers if we dont start pasding more. There just isn't enough passes to satisfy all those good receivers. The awesome running game might start to run off top wide outs. They dont want to come block for the running backs.
Not a single receiver on the list yet who is a game changer. Maybe Robinson and Edwards will develop into that. Hill will have every opportunity to start. I expect a transfer or two out of this group.

PorkRinds

Quote from: alwaysnextyear on September 24, 2014, 08:30:18 am
Not a single receiver on the list yet who is a game changer. Maybe Robinson and Edwards will develop into that. Hill will have every opportunity to start. I expect a transfer or two out of this group.

You two should go out on a date.  I'm sure it would be lots of fun. 

trashcan maN

I would wait and see on Hatcher. He's got the speed to get wide open if he runs good routes and can catch the ball. I think he can be a big time WR for us this year in this offense a la Nick Toon.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: trashcan maN on September 24, 2014, 07:25:06 am
Hatcher-1 more year
Hollister-2 more years
Robinson-4 more years
Edwards-3 more years
Cornelius-3 more years
Morgan-2 more years
Hill-4 or 5 more years
Mitchell-3 more years
Hawkins-2 years

That is quite a few scholarship receivers for a team that rarely gets in 3 WR looks. It would be a pleasant surprise if he was a better FS than a WR.

Good post.  12 WRs to play mostly in 2 spots seems like a overage to me.   
That would translate into 12 safeties, 12 CBs, 18 LBs, 30 OLM, etc. on scholarship.   Wouldn't surprise me  if 2 or 3 WRs don't decide to transfer at semester.  Either use them or lose them they say.

jgphillips3

KJ Hill will be on the field.  I bet one or two guys we already have see the writing on the wall and leave.  I personally think Pettway could be our Greg Child's on this team (big guy with decent speed who will go get the ball).

Pork Twain

Quote from: HoggusMaximus on September 23, 2014, 08:25:58 pm
We have plenty of depth at WR, they just need to mature and learn the offense
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

The_Iceman

Quote from: trashcan maN on September 24, 2014, 07:25:06 am
Hatcher-1 more year
Hollister-2 more years
Robinson-4 more years
Edwards-3 more years
Cornelius-3 more years
Morgan-2 more years
Hill-4 or 5 more years
Mitchell-3 more years
Hawkins-2 years

Those numbers will work themselves out. If guys fall too deep down the depth chart, they will transfer.

trashcan maN

Quote from: The_Iceman on September 24, 2014, 09:55:38 am
Those numbers will work themselves out. If guys fall too deep down the depth chart, they will transfer.
Yep. A bunch of competition breeds quality players. The guys who rise to the top out of this group will be better because of it.

bigdaddyhawg

Not a single receiver on the list yet who is a game changer.

An intelligent, knowledgeable CFB observer would realize there are probably no more than 4 or 5 true 'game changers' in the SEC at this time at WR.

They don't come around that often, regardless of your disdain for our WR's.

alwaysnextyear

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on September 24, 2014, 10:48:11 am
An intelligent, knowledgeable CFB observer would realize there are probably no more than 4 or 5 true 'game changers' in the SEC at this time at WR.

They don't come around that often, regardless of your disdain for our WR's.
Seals-Jones, Noil, Darius White, Cooper, Coates, Williams, Treadwell, Robinson, Mitchell (hurt). That's just off the top of my head.

trashcan maN

Speedy noil hasnt broke 75 yds rcvng against horrible competition and hes a gamechanger...lol

Pork Twain

Quote from: alwaysnextyear on September 24, 2014, 11:01:51 am
Seals-Jones, Noil, Darius White, Cooper, Coates, Williams, Treadwell, Robinson, Mitchell (hurt). That's just off the top of my head.
Are we naming game-changers or just top WRs for each team?
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

Ball Hawk

Yes Pettway is an Arkansas lock. I know this for a 100% fact. I've been saying this when he was committed to Ole Miss as well.

I hope they move him to Free Safety. He is a stud on that side of the ball. I think he has so much upside there. He reads the QB and flips his hips better than any high school kid I've seen in a long time.
Quote from: secfan30 on February 16, 2015, 11:01:56 pm

They are a perfect example of what happens with 10-12 generations of inbreeding.

Fort Dweller

Quote from: Pork Twain on September 24, 2014, 11:46:14 am
Are we naming game-changers or just top WRs for each team?

Right?  Duke Williams, Sammy Coates, Amari Cooper and Laquon Treadwell are game changers.

Seals-Jones has the potential to be one.  If Jameon Lewis keeps playing like he did against LSU, I'd put him in there.
Quote from: Fatty McGee on June 03, 2012, 09:43:59 pmRabid gay rampage?  That's quite a phrase.  I picture rundown neighborhoods being gentrified by angry, fit, childless, and well dressed mobs.
Quote from: sharpd1 on September 23, 2012, 08:33:21 pmSome of the people posting on here aren't good at brain stuff.
Did you really click on the "report to moderator" button.  And not only that but do it on yourself? 

trashcan maN

^Agree

The kid for FL might be nice if he had a QB

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: alwaysnextyear on September 24, 2014, 11:01:51 am

Not bad, considering how flat your head is. 

Don't think every single one of those kids is a true game changer.

Just because you know their names doesn't mean they are game changers.  And just because they may make plays doesn't mean they are game changers.

A game changer is a player that brings something so above what others might bring that his presence by itself changes the outcome of the game.

There are so many cliched phrases/labels thrown out here on HV that are absolutely not factual.  Another one is "must get recruit".  There is no such thing.  Programs that miss on these "must gets" continue to have football programs and most continue to win football games.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Fort Dweller on September 24, 2014, 11:58:27 am
Right?  Duke Williams, Sammy Coates, Amari Cooper and Laquon Treadwell are game changers.

Seals-Jones has the potential to be one.  If Jameon Lewis keeps playing like he did against LSU, I'd put him in there.

Coates, no.  He's really good, but he doesn't change the game.  Not sure about Treadwell.  I watched OM once this fall, and he's very good, but IMO he does NOT change the game by himself.

I'd agree with Duke Williams and Amari Cooper.  When those guys are not in the game, you can tell it.

Fort Dweller

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on September 24, 2014, 12:30:19 pm
Coates, no.  He's really good, but he doesn't change the game.  Not sure about Treadwell.  I watched OM once this fall, and he's very good, but IMO he does NOT change the game by himself.

I'd agree with Duke Williams and Amari Cooper.  When those guys are not in the game, you can tell it.

I put Coates in there because he always seems to get open.  He had a rough game against KSU, but he always seems to have that back breaking catch against opposing defenses.

Most likely, I should have put Treadwell in the same category as RSJ.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Fort Dweller on September 24, 2014, 12:46:35 pm
I put Coates in there because he always seems to get open.  He had a rough game against KSU, but he always seems to have that back breaking catch against opposing defenses.

Most likely, I should have put Treadwell in the same category as RSJ.

Like I said, Coates is really good, probably All-SEC second team or so, which is exceptional.  But he doesn't take the game over and change it by himself.

I think of guys like Johnny Rodgers, Manziel, DMac, Bo Jackson -- guys who can absolutely take over a game and turn it into a W pretty much all by themselves.

Pork Twain

I use the term game changer for a player that is very difficult to stop and makes play after play.  It appears some do not use that to describe the term.

jgphillips3

Quote from: Ball Hawk on September 24, 2014, 11:52:04 am
Yes Pettway is an Arkansas lock. I know this for a 100% fact. I've been saying this when he was committed to Ole Miss as well.

I hope they move him to Free Safety. He is a stud on that side of the ball. I think he has so much upside there. He reads the QB and flips his hips better than any high school kid I've seen in a long time.

Coming from you, I'll take that as high praise.  I know from reading your posts that you know your football, especially defense and particularly in the secondary. Hopefully Jennings can sweet talk him to "try" Safety his freshman year. :)

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: HoggusMaximus on September 23, 2014, 09:22:24 pm

That we are all idiots... I believe it to be a valid point, but anyone with half a brain knows that very little of what we say here is factual. We just like to throw around opinions. Nothing we say will have an impact on what the coaches and players actually do... I believe we are all smart enough idiots to get that. No need for him (PQ'd) to make it an argument though.
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

VBMark

Quote from: Pork Twain on September 25, 2014, 07:50:03 am
I use the term game changer for a player that is very difficult to stop and makes play after play.  It appears some do not use that to describe the term.

Game changer is pretty close to that in my estimation.

I would go so far as to say that only Cooper really falls into the game changer category. By that I mean, the opposing team changes their game plan to just account for that player. And when that player is not in the game, the opposing team breathes a sigh of relief and changes things back to what normal is.
John L. Smith is so bad that he will laugh himself off the field

lumphog

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 24, 2014, 08:43:10 am
You two should go out on a date.  I'm sure it would be lots of fun. 
They're the same poster

thefisher

CBB's proven track record history at Wisconsin defies that thought.  Research CBB's actual history and you will see where the Hogs are headed.  It is not where you suggest.
I miss the smell of the mud, grass, and sweat of the practice field. I miss blood oozing down your arm from the rip in your skin that was slashed on a guys helmet as you punked him at the line of scrimmage and put his dobber in the dirt.

razorback44

Quote from: jgphillips3 on September 24, 2014, 09:37:56 am
KJ Hill will be on the field.  I bet one or two guys we already have see the writing on the wall and leave.  I personally think Pettway could be our Greg Child's on this team (big guy with decent speed who will go get the ball).

This is purely my opinion but I would be highly surprised if Eric Hawkins and Duwop were here next year.
"No force and no man can abolish memory"  FDR

NLRHog92

Quote from: razorback44 on September 25, 2014, 11:48:31 pm
This is purely my opinion but I would be highly surprised if Eric Hawkins and Duwop were here next year.

Just depends. I see Hawkins as the kind of guy that just loves the university and the other players and sticks it out to be a part of the team. I really hope Duwop doesn't leave because WR is his position. He can be something. We'll see though.

HAWGDOG

3 TDs from Pettway tonight in a 38-21 come from behind win over Arkadelphia, 1 TD reception and 2 picks returned for TDs.

orgkeith

Pettway's touch to TD ratio seems to be outstanding.

lumphog

Oklahawg

"Game Changers" is a bad label to toss around recklessly. 20 in the conference might be on the high side, offensively.

What we want are "instant contributors" either on the field or as scout teamers helping out while redshirting. We had an amazing "hit rate" for that in 2013 and 2014. Need to do that again in 2015. Headed that way, it seems.

From my vantage point, the most obvious statement on Pettway is this: Reed is the #1 WR on the board, and they are waiting to see if Pettway is SEC-caliber at DB before removing the conditional status of the offer.

This doesn't mean the offer IS conditional! That is just my version of the story.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Break & Run

Isn't Duke Williams a Miami RB and not a WR ?
Quote from: Michael BernalWhat's your favorite Arkansas tradition?
"I can't be cliché and say 'Call the Hogs,' but I think I have to.  That's just something that sets our university apart.  When you're out on the field and everyone in the stadium stands up, it's amazing.  Even when we're at a football or basketball game, just to see that many people around you doing the same thing for you when you're on the field or for the other guys who are playing, it's pretty awesome."