Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Do you suppose we use this against bama

Started by Mike_e, September 23, 2014, 01:41:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike_e

Brian Baucham is suing the school and former coach Lane Kiffin:

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/278a86bee2ac448e803ed71a24310833/injured-former-usc-player-sues-school-kiffin

"Baucham claims he suffered "cardiopulmonary damage" and "brain injury with neurocognitive deficits" after he played against California at the Coliseum on Sept. 22, 2012. Baucham's lawsuit claims he was ill and dehydrated before the game, but was "forced" to play by Kiffin.

"USC and head coach Kiffin were clearly negligent and acted with conscious disregard for Brian's welfare and safety by forcing him to play ... despite his verified medical history and seriously ill condition," said Bruce M. Brusavich, Baucham's attorney."

If this gets much traction ole lanie might have to move along.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

rljjr

I would think we are recruiting young men who would prefer to hear the positives of playing for the University of Arkansas rather than throwing out some specious claim against an assistant coach. It would smack of desperation and parents and kids see right through that stuff.

jgphillips3

I don't know that we have to say anything.  Our coach is on record for player safety and someone else will tell the kids about this.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: rljjr on September 23, 2014, 02:14:03 pm
I would think we are recruiting young men who would prefer to hear the positives of playing for the University of Arkansas rather than throwing out some specious claim against an assistant coach. It would smack of desperation and parents and kids see right through that stuff.
Listening to CBB and the rest of his staff I would tend to think they basically stick to emphasizing the many positives that the Hill has to offer. That IMO is enough to sell itself. Besides unless you lived in a cave somewhere most everyone is already well aware of what a sleaze bag ole Kiffy is.

sickboy

Quote from: Surfing8 on September 23, 2014, 01:49:08 pm
I get that the guy was hurt... I don't get that anyone 'forced him to play'.  Sounds a bit like the latest Wussification of America example.

But - I could definitely see a mother listening intently if this were brought up in the living room. 

"Coerced" is probably a more appropriate verb. Still, I'd be interested to see how this plays out.

When kids sign scholarships, I'm sure the fine lines cover injuries and culpability. Anyone know what the verbiage is? I'm sure Kiffin could tell one of his players to jump off a bridge, but unless Kiffin pushes him he's probably not at fault.

Doesn't change the fact that Kiffin or any other coach doing stuff like this is wrong. But it's ingrained in the culture of the sport. Going to be hard to change it. 

LJHOG

Quote from: Surfing8 on September 23, 2014, 01:49:08 pm
I get that the guy was hurt... I don't get that anyone 'forced him to play'.  Sounds a bit like the latest Wussification of America example.

But - I could definitely see a mother listening intently if this were brought up in the living room.
We don't need to use that type stuff.

jrulz83

No, negative recruiting is a guaranteed way to lose.
Lenin is cautiously optimistic.