Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

barnett decision

Started by HogsOfAnarchy, September 23, 2014, 01:10:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HogsOfAnarchy

Has Jalin Barnett given a date to which he will commit? I haven't seen a date or a timeline.

GalaHawg

After he is done with all 5 of his official visits

LJHOG

I sure wish he'd sign with us.

HoggusMaximus

This guy is exactly what we need. We need to keep the O-line big and mean. I can hardly phathom how crazy it would be to realize that if we get this guy he will probably be redshirted.

WBC Hog

Quote from: HoggusMaximus on September 23, 2014, 08:11:34 pm
This guy is exactly what we need. We need to keep the O-line big and mean. I can hardly phathom how crazy it would be to realize that if we get this guy he will probably be redshirted.

Umm I don't think he'll redshirt. In fact, I don't think he'd redshirt for any team in America. This guy is ready to play right now.

ZERO

Quote from: GalaHawg on September 23, 2014, 01:12:21 pm
After he is done with all 5 of his official visits

How many more visits does he have left to take?
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

HoggusMaximus

Quote from: WBC Hog on September 24, 2014, 12:09:24 am
Umm I don't think he'll redshirt. In fact, I don't think he'd redshirt for any team in America. This guy is ready to play right now.

Brian Wallace redshirted and he had a higher score than barnett

redeye

Quote from: HoggusMaximus on September 24, 2014, 12:59:13 am

You never know what will happen.  Although he was rated higher then either Wallace or Barnett, Cam Robinson is starting for Alabama.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: ZERO on September 24, 2014, 12:40:55 am
How many more visits does he have left to take?

He has 4 left.

Conqueror837

The staff believes they are getting him.  They have thought so for a while.

RazorPiggie

Well our OG is locked up with Kirkland and Tretola for the next couple of years. So yeah I could see him redshirting.

secneahog

Bahahahaha. Thanks for the redshirt humor today.
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

secneahog

Quote from: RazorPiggie on September 24, 2014, 07:49:16 am
Well our OG is locked up with Kirkland and Tretola for the next couple of years. So yeah I could see him redshirting.

He will rotate in just like charp and smothers do with tretola and Ragnow.
Inside guys with that much talent will rotate.

Have you not figured that out yet? Pittman said they rotate inside guys so they will be fresh.
So we bring in the #1 guard in the nation but we redshirt him?

Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

RazorPiggie

Quote from: secneahog on September 24, 2014, 08:24:06 am
He will rotate in just like charp and smothers do with tretola and Ragnow.
Inside guys with that much talent will rotate.

Have you not figured that out yet? Pittman said they rotate inside guys so they will be fresh.
So we bring in the #1 guard in the nation but we redshirt him?

Yeah you see Tretola and Charp switching right now. I'm betting by the end of the year they aren't. Tretola will take over that spot, basically already has. No ones switching with Kirkland right now and running with the 1s.

Wallace was extremely highly rated but isn't seeing the field because we have the OTs positions locked up in Cook and Skipper. Heck everyone thought Jefferson was going to come up and shore up the OG spot but they cant keep Tretola off the field with the way he has played this year.

Next year our OL will be:

Skipper   Tretola   Ragnow   Kirkland   Wallace

trashcan maN

Quote from: RazorPiggie on September 24, 2014, 09:25:45 am

Skipper   Tretola   Ragnow   Kirkland   Wallace
Nastiness.

The_Boot_stops_here

I don't know who Bryan Heater is (his twitter profile says "Sports Editor at the Wynne Progress.  Featured columnist for Razorback football @BleacherReport") but he just tweeted that Arkansas appears to lead for Barnett.  Family loved Fayetteville. 

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on September 24, 2014, 10:12:20 am
I don't know who Bryan Heater is (his twitter profile says "Sports Editor at the Wynne Progress.  Featured columnist for Razorback football @BleacherReport") but he just tweeted that Arkansas appears to lead for Barnett.  Family loved Fayetteville. 

Just need to keep that momentum as he takes his other visits and gets tons of back home influence.

jgphillips3

Visits or no.  This is either OU or UA.  Normally I wouldn't think we have a shot but we have Pittman so I think we are legit and probably 50-50 at worst for this one.  Just a feeling but I think the stars may be lining up for us...literally in this case.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on September 24, 2014, 12:44:55 pm
http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2014/sep/24/people-wow-barnett-and-grandmother/

Great article on Arkansas "wowing" Barnett's grandmother.
Not surprised in the least. In fact this just goes back to the very core of CBB's approach to building a program from the very ground up. Establishing a solid foundation begins in part with the staff showing the recruit and his family/guardians that when a young man commit to the U of A the entire program will commit in turn to helping him attain the very highest chances of succeeding both on the field and in the classroom. "Uncommon men for an uncommon program" is truly what this team and coaching staff is all about and I'm LOVING it.

Peppa Pig

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on September 24, 2014, 12:44:55 pm
http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2014/sep/24/people-wow-barnett-and-grandmother/

Great article on Arkansas "wowing" Barnett's grandmother.

Wow.  I guess you could call that positive feedback. 

This is definitely going to be Jalin's decision but at least we know one person in our corner.

LJHOG

Quote from: HoggusMaximus on September 24, 2014, 12:59:13 am
Quote from: redeye on September 24, 2014, 04:32:11 am
You never know what will happen.  Although he was rated higher then either Wallace or Barnett, Cam Robinson is starting for Alabama.
Need has more to do with a freshman starting than "score".  It's hard for a freshman lineman on either side of the ball to compete against guys who have been in an SEC program for 3 or 4 years.
That being said, I sure wish Barnett would pick the Hogs.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on September 24, 2014, 12:55:46 pm
Not surprised in the least. In fact this just goes back to the very core of CBB's approach to building a program from the very ground up. Establishing a solid foundation begins in part with the staff showing the recruit and his family/guardians that when a young man commit to the U of A the entire program will commit in turn to helping him attain the very highest chances of succeeding both on the field and in the classroom. "Uncommon men for an uncommon program" is truly what this team and coaching staff is all about and I'm LOVING it.

Breath of fresh air.
Loved those exciting offenses and big wins we had in 10 and 11. That 2010 team very well could have won the whole thing.
But 2008 was Petrino's only great class.

Coach B seems to really be engaged on turning this program around and then some.

redeye

Quote from: LJHOG on September 24, 2014, 01:09:46 pm
Need has more to do with a freshman starting than "score".  It's hard for a freshman lineman on either side of the ball to compete against guys who have been in an SEC program for 3 or 4 years.
That being said, I sure wish Barnett would pick the Hogs.

I agree, but does Alabama "need" to start Cam Robinson?  Considering they've signed the #1 class, over the past 5 years or so, I would doubt it.  I don't think it's the first time they've started a true freshman on the OL, either.

mhuff

I kinda doubt that we are going to redshirt the #1 offensive guard in the country. You are kidding aren't you.

Wildhog

Quote from: mhuff on September 24, 2014, 04:36:33 pm
I kinda doubt that we are going to redshirt the #1 offensive guard in the country. You are kidding aren't you.

If it's at all possible, I'd love for us to redshirt him. 

I mean, you don't want to burn a shirt for just a few snaps.  So, who's he going to start over?  Not Tretola or Kirkland, and Ragnow's pretty well set at center.

Definitely a reasonable idea.  Don't know why you'd treat it as a joke.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

HoggusMaximus

We redshirted the No 8 OT.

MuskogeeHogFan

Eventually we may get to the point that every O-Lineman will RS unless they are just so good, impressive and valuable that they earn the start from the first game going forward. But I believe that as this program begins to mature, we will see fewer O-Linemen playing immediately.
Go Hogs Go!

BatesvilleHOG

Barnett is automatically in our two deep for next season if he commits. He won't redshirt.

Wildhog

Quote from: BatesvilleHOG on September 24, 2014, 05:35:37 pm
Barnett is automatically in our two deep for next season if he commits. He won't redshirt.

It's certainly possible, but to state it definitively is foolish.

Like I said, he won't be starting, and we'll have Smothers back, who can back up either G or C.  We'll also have Josh Allen, who will be nearly two years removed from high school football, and enrolling early.  Koehler will just be a RsSo, and it's reasonable to think he'll contribute at some point (at least in a back up role).  We just put Adam Deacon on scholarship, and I know coach likes him.

If he's not going to play a significant number of snaps, you redshirt him 1000% of the time.
1909/1964/1965/1977

hoofer

He would likely redshirt. Unless injuries occurred, just like what they are doing with Brian Wallace this year, who could easily be rotating with Brey Cook right now if they wanted him too. He's probably just as good as Brey right now. The people that don't understand this are the same ones saying Rafe Peavey would not redshirt or would be playing as a TF.

forrest city joe

Quote from: hoofer on September 24, 2014, 06:00:26 pm
He would likely redshirt. Unless injuries occurred, just like what they are doing with Brian Wallace this year, who could easily be rotating with Brey Cook right now if they wanted him too. He's probably just as good as Brey right now. The people that don't understand this are the same ones saying Rafe Peavey would not redshirt or would be playing as a TF.
Barnett is not going to red-shirt. he will be in the 2 deep and play as a true freshmen.

Wildhog

Quote from: forrest city joe on September 24, 2014, 06:12:46 pm
Barnett is not going to red-shirt. he will be in the 2 deep and play as a true freshmen.

FCJKOD
1909/1964/1965/1977

WBC Hog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 24, 2014, 05:02:47 pm
Eventually we may get to the point that every O-Lineman will RS unless they are just so good, impressive and valuable that they earn the start from the first game going forward. But I believe that as this program begins to mature, we will see fewer O-Linemen playing immediately.

I totally agree with this. But, I don't think we are to that point yet. Especially since we are losing how many OL this year?

ricepig

Quote from: WBC Hog on September 24, 2014, 06:21:47 pm
I totally agree with this. But, I don't think we are to that point yet. Especially since we are losing how many OL this year?

Cook

HoggusMaximus

Like I said, my guess is he will redshirt, barring the fact that he wins out a spot.

WBC Hog

Quote from: ricepig on September 24, 2014, 06:24:29 pm
Cook

Charp, McClure, and Stringer along with Brey Cook all leave after this year.

Wildhog

Quote from: WBC Hog on September 25, 2014, 12:05:29 am
Charp, McClure, and Stringer along with Brey Cook all leave after this year.

McClure and Stringer have barely played at all, and Charp just had his job taken.
1909/1964/1965/1977

BatesvilleHOG

September 25, 2014, 01:35:34 am #38 Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 01:49:21 am by BatesvilleHOG
Quote from: Wildhog on September 24, 2014, 05:42:44 pm
It's certainly possible, but to state it definitively is foolish.

Like I said, he won't be starting, and we'll have Smothers back, who can back up either G or C.  We'll also have Josh Allen, who will be nearly two years removed from high school football, and enrolling early.  Koehler will just be a RsSo, and it's reasonable to think he'll contribute at some point (at least in a back up role).  We just put Adam Deacon on scholarship, and I know coach likes him.

If he's not going to play a significant number of snaps, you redshirt him 1000% of the time.
Barnett is of quality depth and will rotate with our starters to keep them fresh. Highly doubt he redshirts. & that's if he doesn't start. Which I don't think he will, but the size and talent is definitely there. Either way, I trust Bielema and Pittman. They have built a solid back bone to our program in the trenches. This is only the beginning.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: BatesvilleHOG on September 24, 2014, 05:35:37 pm

Agree

jgphillips3

Talent wise, he could be second string the moment he hits campus and rotate heavily year one IF he can grasp what Pittman is teaching.  He is that talented.  However, his ability to grasp the scheme, protections, techniques and offense quickly is what determines whether or not he redshirts.

East TN HAWG

I tend to agree; however, players leaving for the NFL early could mess the whole thing up.  I doubt Skipper, Kirkland and Ragnow make it here 4 years. 

WBC Hog

Quote from: East TN HAWG on September 25, 2014, 10:56:39 am
I tend to agree; however, players leaving for the NFL early could mess the whole thing up.  I doubt Skipper, Kirkland and Ragnow make it here 4 years.

Hopefully that is where the #UnCommon factor plays in. I agree with you that those guys would have a legitimate chance to leave early for the pro's but, maybe, just maybe they are not like other NFL-bound players and actually want to finish their degree.

Pudgepork

that sounds like you are describing those monster offensive lines that Nebraska used to churn out.   And thered be nothing wrong with building a line like that

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on September 25, 2014, 12:09:09 am
McClure and Stringer have barely played at all, and Charp just had his job taken.

Yeah, I was just saying who we'll actually miss.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: East TN HAWG on September 25, 2014, 10:56:39 am

You know, having to plan ahead for players leaving early for the NFL, is a problem that I think that Bielema would love to have at Arkansas. In fact, I believe that is the goal.
Go Hogs Go!

ARtillahog

Quote from: WBC Hog on September 25, 2014, 09:51:29 pm
Hopefully that is where the #UnCommon factor plays in. I agree with you that those guys would have a legitimate chance to leave early for the pro's but, maybe, just maybe they are not like other NFL-bound players and actually want to finish their degree.

There are some athletes, 5th yr Sr, that have a master's by the time they are finished.  It's reasonable to get a degree in 3.5 yrs or 7 semesters, of course plus summer classes.

Mike_e

What if he Wants to redshirt?

Taking that first year to get his classes and grades off to a good start along with being able to go a whole year learning the system and going through the weight/nutrition program would be the smart thing to do.

Instead of coming out of the gate as a really talented kid is nice but coming out of the gate as a certified monster helps you down the road when the draft comes calling.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

rwspear

what if hes good enough to start?

Wildhog

Quote from: rwspear on September 26, 2014, 01:04:09 pm
what if hes good enough to start?

Then you start him.  If he's not, you redshirt him.
1909/1964/1965/1977