Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

help me out with a former recuit question - where is he now

Started by hawgXi, September 23, 2014, 12:51:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hawgXi

a couple years ago we had a HS QB recruit who committed to the hogs.

we later signed peevy or maybe austin allen or maybe it was brandon allen.

anyway the recruit I'm trying to remember withdrew his razorback commitment and committed to another school.  I thought it may have been florida or florida state??

iirc his dad was a HS coach.

anybody recall that name?

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Positive Pete

You may be thinking of Clint Trickett.  Went to FSU bc his dad was off line coach.  Now he's at West Virgina.

Wildhog

Trickett never committed to us, did he?  I thought he was just really high on us.

We had Will Secord committed, and he ended up at FSU, too.
1909/1964/1965/1977

hawgXi

found it:  will secord of frisco texas.

ended up committing to florida state after he had committed to us in 2009 (time flys)

his dad was coach at frisco tx

navyhog24

It was a few years ago. He was a lefty and was beaten out by a son of one of the position coaches who was the QB before Winston. I can't remember his name either. The other is Tyler Cogswell whom CBB didn't keep his scholarship offer from the previous staff.

The_Iceman

It still amazes me that after Mallett and Wilson, Petrino didn't have 4 and 5 star QB's interested in us. You would have thought the top pro-style QB's from across that country would have been wanting to come here. Probably tells you a lot about Petrino.

Trm123

Quote from: Surfing8 on September 23, 2014, 01:12:50 pm
You can (and do) say a lot of things about Petrino and that's all well and good, but are you really questioning the guy's ability to field top-quality college QBs?

You can question the guy's morality/personality all day long, and it makes quite a few on here feel better, but every non-jaded football fan in the country acknowledges Petrino's ability to identify and coach QBs. 

Sorry but that was just another lame reach.

He didn't field Mallett, Mallett fell to him. Tyler Wilson also fell to us because LSU pulled his scholly. BP great offensive mind but but did he really field top quality college qbs? Two fell in his lap and he made one look a lot better than what he really was. I think it does say alot about BP because even when we were a top 10 program he couldn't recruit, CBB has us just now winning three straight after 10 straight losses and we have a better class than BP ever had here.

redeye

Quote from: The_Iceman on September 23, 2014, 01:00:56 pm
It still amazes me that after Mallett and Wilson, Petrino didn't have 4 and 5 star QB's interested in us. You would have thought the top pro-style QB's from across that country would have been wanting to come here. Probably tells you a lot about Petrino.

I'm pretty sure Peavey originally committed to Petrino.  However, I think he did struggle to find top QB's and I'm sure it does tell a lot about him.

Nuttcracker, Sweet!

We were considered the leader for Bryce Petty at one time along with Trickett.

The kid Hoot had lined up to replace Casey Dick with the unfortunate (for a QB) handle of Kale Pick wound up at Kansas and did not last long as the starter even with someone besides the QB Killa coaching him...
Making fun of Hootie since 2003

sickboy

You can (and do) say a lot of things about Petrino and that's all well and good, but are you really questioning the guy's ability to field top-quality college QBs?

You can question the guy's morality/personality all day long, and it makes quite a few on here feel better, but every non-jaded football fan in the country acknowledges Petrino's ability to identify and coach QBs. 

Sorry but that was just another lame reach.  It gets old to come in the recruiting forum to peruse posts about recent success to come across yet another Petrino dig... especially the weak ones. 

Quote from: Surfing8 on September 23, 2014, 01:34:49 pm

What's puzzling is that rather than focus on how good our current recruiting is, some people continually try to find ways to dig on our old coaches... plural.  It's like some bizarre 'still pissed at your Ex' kind of thing.

He didn't say Petrino couldn't develop QBs. If anything, he said the opposite. He was surprised more highly regarded recruits weren't lining up because of what Petrino was able to do with Mallett. Then he intimates it was probably indicative of Petrino's personality.

Sensitive much?

COCHISE

Didn't we also have a kid named Kale Pick, ended up going to Kansas maybe?

Wildhog

Quote from: COCHISE on September 23, 2014, 08:39:17 pm
Didn't we also have a kid named Kale Pick, ended up going to Kansas maybe?

IIRC, he wasn't ever actually committed, just really high on us.  I COULD be wrong on that.  It's been a while.
1909/1964/1965/1977

FATHAWG08

Quote from: sickboy on September 23, 2014, 08:32:18 pm
He didn't say Petrino couldn't develop QBs. If anything, he said the opposite. He was surprised more highly regarded recruits weren't lining up because of what Petrino was able to do with Mallett. Then he intimates it was probably indicative of Petrino's personality.

Sensitive much?
spot on Sick Boy+1
I love off season Football!!

Sourpuss

Quote from: Wildhog on September 23, 2014, 08:54:13 pm
IIRC, he wasn't ever actually committed, just really high on us.  I COULD be wrong on that.  It's been a while.
I want to say the Pick kid ended up at Kansas.  Didn't last long though.

shortend

Quote from: Sourpuss on September 23, 2014, 09:20:19 pm
I want to say the Pick kid ended up at Kansas.  Didn't last long though.

I believe that he ended his career as a WR at KU.
"Egotism is the anesthetic that deadens the pain of stupidity." - Knute Rockne

CDBHawg

Quote from: The_Iceman on September 23, 2014, 01:00:56 pm

Well, to be fair, he only had one year with Wilson starting. So, he really didn't have a chance "after" Mallett & Wilson. Then the debacle happened. But he had Allen signed. He also had some talent interested in us. A couple names that come to mind are Kevin Olsen and Tyler Bruggman. But the minute Petrino was fired, I'm sure their interest in us left as well.

Trm123

Quote from: CDBHawg on September 23, 2014, 11:16:08 pm
Well, to be fair, he only had one year with Wilson starting. So, he really didn't have a chance "after" Mallett & Wilson. Then the debacle happened. But he had Allen signed. He also had some talent interested in us. A couple names that come to mind are Kevin Olsen and Tyler Bruggman. But the minute Petrino was fired, I'm sure their interest in us left as well.

Was Bruggman the QB that was on his visit when Long had the press conference to fire Petrino?

Razorbax

Quote from: Trm123 on September 23, 2014, 01:16:50 pm
He didn't field Mallett, Mallett fell to him. Tyler Wilson also fell to us because LSU pulled his scholly. BP great offensive mind but but did he really field top quality college qbs? Two fell in his lap and he made one look a lot better than what he really was. I think it does say alot about BP because even when we were a top 10 program he couldn't recruit, CBB has us just now winning three straight after 10 straight losses and we have a better class than BP ever had here.
Tyler Wilson was committed to Tulsa and did not have an offer until CBP offered him one. Mallet chose Michigan and would have easily chosen another program. It was the offense of CBP and Arkansas that brought him here. So CBP did more than stand there as Mallet begged for a scholly. As for recruiting being better......Starting to sound a lot like texas and all their braggadocio on all their recruiting titles. I prefer winning games over mythical rankings in recruiting.

Wildhog

Quote from: Trm123 on September 24, 2014, 05:18:18 pm
Was Bruggman the QB that was on his visit when Long had the press conference to fire Petrino?

Yes.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Trm123

Quote from: Razorbax on September 24, 2014, 05:37:38 pm
  Tyler Wilson was committed to Tulsa and did not have an offer until CBP offered him one. Mallet chose Michigan and would have easily chosen another program. It was the offense of CBP and Arkansas that brought him here. So CBP did more than stand there as Mallet begged for a scholly. As for recruiting being better......Starting to sound a lot like texas and all their braggadocio on all their recruiting titles. I prefer winning games over mythical rankings in recruiting.

Yeah he did a little more but was he ever able to get good prospects to do more than just visit us if they weren't from Arkansas? CBP won the games he was suppose to got us to a chance to compete but he never would of gotten us to the next level because of his complete disinterest in defense. And anyone who thinks he wouldn't of had a down year the JLS and CBB first year is crazy, would we have been better than 4-8 and 3-9, yes but we were going to start trending down soon because like A & M we didn't care about defense, only difference we weren't getting offensive game changers to keep up. I would rather win games too but to do that consistently in this league it involves recruiting well on offense and defense. Which CBB is doing and will continue to do. I thank BP for the good years but call me crazy I would rather have CBB a guy who cares about the character of the program and both sides of the ball.

rolyat_2008

Quote from: Nuttcracker, Sweet! on September 23, 2014, 08:21:13 pm
We were considered the leader for Bryce Petty at one time along with Trickett.
and passed on him in favor of Brandon Mitchell

Razorbax

Quote from: Trm123 on September 24, 2014, 10:16:41 pm
Yeah he did a little more but was he ever able to get good prospects to do more than just visit us if they weren't from Arkansas? CBP won the games he was suppose to got us to a chance to compete but he never would of gotten us to the next level because of his complete disinterest in defense. And anyone who thinks he wouldn't of had a down year the JLS and CBB first year is crazy, would we have been better than 4-8 and 3-9, yes but we were going to start trending down soon because like A & M we didn't care about defense, only difference we weren't getting offensive game changers to keep up. I would rather win games too but to do that consistently in this league it involves recruiting well on offense and defense. Which CBB is doing and will continue to do. I thank BP for the good years but call me crazy I would rather have CBB a guy who cares about the character of the program and both sides of the ball.

What would have CBP done the last two years is a war of opinions that has been fought/discussed ad nauseam. CBB and staff should be commended for the last two in state pickups. Hopefully we finish strong on the field this year and in recruiting players that finally wins the elusive SEC championship.

incHOGnito

Sorry but that was just another lame reach.  It gets old to come in the recruiting forum to peruse posts about recent success to come across yet another Petrino dig... especially the weak ones. 

BP was an offensive genius but It would be hard to say he was able to recruit top flight QBs with such a small sample size. I would also argue that his offensive scheme maximized players potential but I am not sure that he was a great developer of talent, especially compared to what we have seen out of Bielema's staff. Just look at our offensive lines on those teams, they had a great four game stretch in 2010 but other than that they couldn't open a hole or pass protect very well at all. Petrinos last season TW was hit about every time he dropped back.

SEdrhawg

Yeah, to say Petrino could not recruit top quality talent is just stupid....Brandon allen was 4*, Tyler Wilson was 4*, rafe peavey originally committed to CBP.   Bruggman was 4* and likely headed here..... there is no basis or fact to that argument

Trm123

Petrino hell of a offensive mind, mediocre recruiter and even more mediocre person. I'll agree to disagree because calling BA a top talent after all this board has said about him is a little hypocritical (not saying you said anything bad about him). Moral of my thinking is Petrino is a great offensive mind but over the years besides instate guys (rafe is basically instate) only top talent would visit in two and half classes here CBB hasn't missrd much instate and on top of that he went and got an Alex Collins, a Brian Wallace, a Hjalte a frank Ragnow, a denever Kirkland, and 9/9 instate this year. And I believe it has to do with personality. If Petrino had the personality CBB does to get top coordinators and top recruits he would be on Saben level type coach.