Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

National recruiting guy Jeremy Crabtree on coach B and his recruiting

Started by forrest city joe, September 23, 2014, 11:41:41 am

Previous topic - Next topic

forrest city joe

Jeremy Crabtree @jeremycrabtree  ·  1h

We knew coming in '15 class was critical for @BretBielema, and I think it's safe to say he and his coaches have delivered so far. #WPS #Hogs

If we can close this class strong. it could be the best class in a very long time. i am loving this.

Poker_hog

This class would have to totally fall apart for it not to be the best class in 25 years.
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

Tim Harris

IMO the only thing left for them to prove is can they land a couple difference makers on the defensive side of the ball.  They definitely know how to recruit RB, OL, and TE.

Now I want to see us land a back 7 defensive player that is the same type of recruit as a Alex Collins, KJ Hill, etc...

immahog

No lions No tigers No bears.....ImmaHog

ldfergu

Quote from: Tim Harris on September 23, 2014, 11:49:02 am
IMO the only thing left for them to prove is can they land a couple difference makers on the defensive side of the ball.  They definitely know how to recruit RB, OL, and TE.

Now I want to see us land a back 7 defensive player that is the same type of recruit as a Alex Collins, KJ Hill, etc...

I think we all agree there.  Would love to see more DB's and LB's start adding to the list

Cale

I'd absolutely love to see a difference maker on defense. I think we recruit the line well, but I want a defensive field general out there.
Quote from: jst01 on January 06, 2018, 06:00:42 pm<br />Maybe we are a baseball school <br />

forrest city joe

Bret Bielema @BretBielema  ·  2h

Calling the Hogs all the way from Dumas, Arkansas! Building it one Hog at a time. #WoooPig #BeUncommon

Bubba's Bruisers

I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

navyhog24

If they can somehow pull Raymond away from LSU territory, that'll be really impressive. I can see us landing landing Walker and Graham with no worries really. If they could also somehow get that big-time LB from Utah, that would just be icing on the cake, even though I think we no shot at all for him.

East TN HAWG

Tim you nailed it.  If we could get a Pittman on that side of the ball, it would be awesome. 

Pork Twain

"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Huds_HawgTide

I think we have a long shot at tevon coney...was reported over the summer he would visit us...he had put in twitter one time he and hilliard the lb out of ohio might play together...kj is going to OSU to visit...maybe the hill gragg connections at the opening run deep
"you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bulls ass, but id rather just take the butchers word for it" tom callahan
tommy boy

"Don't leave and be FROM Arkansas, stay and BE Arkansas" --coach jimmy dykes

"Going to mcd's for a salad is like going to a brothel for a hug"

WriterWrong

Quote from: East TN HAWG on September 23, 2014, 12:07:45 pm
Tim you nailed it.  If we could get a Pittman on that side of the ball, it would be awesome.

We've got Randy Shannon on that side of the ball, and he's pretty darn good. I've got faith the defensive coaches, along with Bielema, will pull in the defensive players we need.

Maximus Tusk

From what I've seen so far, Tolliver and Lidell look to be difference makers. I know it's early but those two have impressed the heck out of me. I understand what you mean with getting higher ranked recruits though.

Chief Mac

"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

Paul

Quote from: Maximus Tusk on September 23, 2014, 12:47:25 pm
From what I've seen so far, Tolliver and Lidell look to be difference makers. I know it's early but those two have impressed the heck out of me. I understand what you mean with getting higher ranked recruits though.
Ramsey may be too

rljjr

All of our young guys have been impressive so far. They will learn and grow. Very exciting time to be a Hog fan! Keep bringing them in and building one man at a time. WPS!

The Hogfather

mhuff

Quote from: rljjr on September 23, 2014, 02:02:49 pm
All of our young guys have been impressive so far. They will learn and grow. Very exciting time to be a Hog fan! Keep bringing them in and building one man at a time. WPS!

Oklahawg

The recruits from 2014 are exceeding expectations so far. We may have an Alex Collins-type in that class for the back seven (as mentioned above).

Part of Shannon's genius is seeing the talent within the recruit. We don't need to elevate as much as we think as long as the "hit" rate continues at the 2014 pace.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

alwaysnextyear

Can't really call Ramsey, Liddell and Brown hits yet. Toliver yes. He should be starting.

MissippHog

Quote from: alwaysnextyear on September 23, 2014, 02:48:18 pm
Can't really call Ramsey, Liddell and Brown hits yet. Toliver yes. He should be starting.
You can definitely see the potential in those 3 though and they should continue to see more snaps as the season progresses.  Toliver is going to be really, really good.

East TN HAWG

Quote from: WriterWrong on September 23, 2014, 12:21:42 pm
We've got Randy Shannon on that side of the ball, and he's pretty darn good. I've got faith the defensive coaches, along with Bielema, will pull in the defensive players we need.
Nolan made the comment about Ron Mercer after his recruitment.  Nolan said something along the lines that Mercer was so talented a blind man could see him play.  I want some of those type players on defense.  I just believe Pittman is signing higher caliber players. 

OneTuskOverTheLine™

We are getting pretty salty with a few hidden gems and great coaching. Defense had a helluva hole to dig out of. Players will soon see they're needed and recognize that Arkansas' new head hog has not forgotten about defense...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

jgphillips3

7 of 14 kids committed are four star.  That's astounding for Arkansas recruiting.  Even if all the remainder are high character, quality men only rated 3*, we can compete with classes like this.  Big time.  I can't wait to see who this staff lands on the defensive side of the ball.  I think this class may be our coming out party.  WPS!!!

GalaHawg

Quote from: jgphillips3 on September 23, 2014, 03:31:55 pm
7 of 14 kids committed are four star.  That's astounding for Arkansas recruiting.  Even if all the remainder are high character, quality men only rated 3*, we can compete with classes like this.  Big time.  I can't wait to see who this staff lands on the defensive side of the ball.  I think this class may be our coming out party.  WPS!!!

+1 for the nice group of Belgians in your avatar. Not in your pic but my favorites are Hop Ruiter for hot, sunny summer days and Rochefort 10 for rainy, cold days... and everything in between.

WriterWrong

Quote from: East TN HAWG on September 23, 2014, 03:14:48 pm
Nolan made the comment about Ron Mercer after his recruitment.  Nolan said something along the lines that Mercer was so talented a blind man could see him play.  I want some of those type players on defense.  I just believe Pittman is signing higher caliber players.

I don't disagree. Pittman is doing an outstanding job recruiting guys to the offensive side of the ball. But, Randy Shannon is an excellent recruiter in his own right. When plucking guys out of south Florida, not many guys have the pull Shannon does. In time, we'll be getting elite players on both sides of the ball. Hopefully, that starts with this class.

Hollywood_HOGan45

The motorcycle accident may be the best thing to ever happen to our football program.

No one here has recruited like this.

tampahog

I'm hoping that having a critical mass of 4*s this early will lead other 4*s who may not be on our radar yet to jump on board (the Ole Miss effect of last year).  We've got to get it done on defense. 

titanhawg

Froholdt is certainly a difference maker recruit on the DL (Top 100 player)...but totally agree on needing to find some back 7 difference makers.

TMc

Quote from: forrest city joe on September 23, 2014, 11:56:24 am
Bret Bielema @BretBielema  ·  2h

Calling the Hogs all the way from Dumas, Arkansas! Building it one Hog at a time. #WoooPig #BeUncommon

TX HOG

Thought the new db coach from TCU was gonna be a fantastic recruiter. Maybe he'll eventually turn out to be one.

Pudgepork

Just win a few games against SEC competition and it should get much easier to convince
players that success is on the way and this team looks to be having fun.  The FUN factor can't be anything but a bonus

FATHAWG08

If you think about what this staff has had to overcome in the last 2 recruiting classes do not sell them short on this upcoming class. I look for this class to close strong. If we can give this staff anything positive on the field to sell to recruits this year we will have a 10-15 ranked class. I think this staff is going to blow away the theory you can't recruit to NWA. Which I've always called BS.I always thought Nolan blew that theory up during the Golden Years of our BB program
I love off season Football!!

moses_007

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on September 23, 2014, 04:09:04 pm
The motorcycle accident may be the best thing to ever happen to our football program.

I don't think anyone has recruited this well since the Lou Holtz days.

forrest city joe

Quote from: moses_007 on September 23, 2014, 07:33:59 pm
Holtz was not a good recruiter. that's one of the things that got him fired. this is the best staff at recruiting since Frank Broyles was the coach.

moses_007

Quote from: forrest city joe on September 23, 2014, 07:40:19 pm
Holtz was not a good recruiter. that's one of the things that got him fired. this is the best staff at recruiting since Frank Broyles was the coach.
It very well may be the best since Broyles.

Lou got himself fired because he went over to South Carolina and made a TV commercial supporting Jesse Helms without Broyles' approval.

I heard Lou Holtz talk about his dismissal from Arkansas within the last year.  He said Broyles called him in his office and just told him he wanted to go in another direction, and dismissed him.  Lou said Broyles never told him the reason for his dismissal.

Pigsear

Quote from: forrest city joe on September 23, 2014, 07:40:19 pm

Your 100% correct Joe, when Holtz had to start depending on his recruits, he was barely average.

imtad16

Do you remember when Woody Womack (Rivals writer) got mad at CBB for his comments about recruiting services not being the end all be all and said this...

@RivalsWoody: @RecruitingAJC Had a five-star recruit tell me yesterday that he forgot Arkansas had a team.

I still can't believe how unprofessional that was and for something so small. Anyways, at this point we don't have any 5-stars in this class, but his heavy handed dis on the Arkansas program is looking a little ignorant right now. There is quite a while until signing day so I'm not celebrating yet, but our class is looking pretty good. It's hilariously far from prospects forgetting Arkansas has a football team.

greenie

Holtz certainly struggled to recruit at Ark. At the time of his firing, it was widely accepted that this played a role in his dismissal. Regardless, this staff, and CBB in particular, is second to none in the last 35 years at least in terms of recruiting. His leadership is pretty impressive as well.

1highhog

Quote from: moses_007 on September 23, 2014, 07:33:59 pm

???  Lou Holtz?  Ole Lou couldn't recruit, that was his biggest flaw and the one big reason he needed a place like Notre Dame, where he wouldn't really have to recruit but land good players simply because of the Schools status, which has really went downhill these days.  But Lou was great here at Arkansas while he had the players left over that Broyles and his staff had recruited, but he went down fast when his recruits started coming in, or the lack there of.

Chief Mac

Quote from: moses_007 on September 23, 2014, 07:41:21 pm
It very well may be the best since Broyles.

Lou got himself fired because he went over to South Carolina and made a TV commercial supporting Jesse Helms without Broyles' approval.

I heard Lou Holtz talk about his dismissal from Arkansas within the last year.  He said Broyles called him in his office and just told him he wanted to go in another direction, and dismissed him.  Lou said Broyles never told him the reason for his dismissal.

not to further derail but granny Lou was losing top instate recruits (keith Jackson being of note) and alienating state HS coaches....that provided the fuel to fire him.  The Helms incident was the flame that finished the job
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

fakebobholt

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on September 23, 2014, 04:09:04 pm

yeah because we all hated 10 win seasons and top 5 seasons

alwaysnextyear

Quote from: fakebobholt on September 24, 2014, 08:28:47 am

If you couldn't see the writing on the wall then there's little hope for you. We weren't sniffing 10 wins in '12 or '13. Bobby's going to lose 4 games this year with a talented team handed to him.

lc480

BP was a just smart a-- I can't understand why anyone would even want to play for him.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Oklahawg on September 23, 2014, 02:45:17 pm
The recruits from 2014 are exceeding expectations so far. We may have an Alex Collins-type in that class for the back seven (as mentioned above).

Part of Shannon's genius is seeing the talent within the recruit. We don't need to elevate as much as we think as long as the "hit" rate continues at the 2014 pace.
That is one thing that is standing out to me so far with CBB, an exceptionally low miss-rate/washout-rate.  I guess after so many years of HDN and CBP, I had just gotten used to seing many of our mid/upper recruits fall through the cracks after they were signed.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

Pork Twain

Quote from: fakebobholt on September 24, 2014, 08:28:47 am

And what did we have to show for the in our trophy case or in recruiting?

Paul

Quote from: TX HOG on September 23, 2014, 05:23:10 pm
Thought the new db coach from TCU was gonna be a fantastic recruiter. Maybe he'll eventually turn out to be one.
Jennings seems to have great relationships with recruits.  I think he'll do well, sooner rather than later

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Paul on September 24, 2014, 12:41:50 pm
Jennings seems to have great relationships with recruits.  I think he'll do well, sooner rather than later
I agree. While Jennings obviously already had established contacts in Texas when you change schools it's still going to take a year or two to change over the perception of who you're NOT working for any longer. I think is particularly relevant when one considers how long it's been since the U of A made such major recruiting efforts (at least equal to or more than what we have now) down in the Lone Star State.