Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

10 of the 14

Started by immahog, September 23, 2014, 10:25:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Pork Twain

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 23, 2014, 01:43:58 pm
Well that is certainly what every coaching staff from HDN though JLS has told everyone, isn't it? Yeah, and as you point out, this staff is getting it done. Just might have been that we had some coaching staffs that were full of it and just didn't want to have to work that hard.
Sadly this is starting to look more and more true and we are starting to see how teams like Nebraska and Oklahomo are able to do this.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Pork Twain

Quote from: LXXIII on September 23, 2014, 01:56:21 pm
Go look at Rivals archives!  By their rankings, this recruiting class is the second best class Arkansas has pulled in since their rankings started back in 2002, and we are only a 4* and a 5* away from tying the 2009 class.  That is pretty amazing considering that it is only September.
Sometimes a person has to look past the rankings though and 2009 and 2010 are great examples of that.  The best thing CBB has shown me is a VERY low miss rate on recruits and that is what a coach MUST do when recruiting to a team like Arkansas.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

Hawgzinbowlz

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on September 23, 2014, 05:41:57 pm
I think people have believed the lie that it is hard to recruit to Fayetteville.  HdN kept repeating that to cover his short comings.

Bielema has mentioned that kids and parents from bigger cities like the fact that they don't hear police sirens every other minute.

We have a great college culture here.  This isn't a back water town anymore.

I don't think it is as tough to recruit here as it has been made out to be in the past.

I agree 100%. We can offer some things that many other universities wish they had. Beautiful campus, reasonably safe living environment, good people in the community, excellent education, coaches that care, a program on the rise in the SEC, a team that fosters a " family " environment, excellent facilities, an opportunity to progress into the NFL if good enough and a fan base that is as supportive and engaged as almost anywhere in the country.
With the 85 limit we can find enough excellent recruits to come to Fayetteville, if we have success. Look at how the '15 class is developing. Combine success with great recruiting effort and we'll see a program that will contend in the SEC West.
Parents like the coaches, players and university and so do the recruits. We have coaches that are developing relationships and we are on track to have, maybe, the best class I've ever seen at Arkansas...after 4-8 and 3-9. Parents are comfortable leaving their son with this staff and here in Fayetteville.
The proof is in the pudding and we don't seem to be having a difficult time recruiting excellent, top 25+, classes. Good, winning coaches that genuinely care will attract high level recruits and winning will take care of itself with these recruits.
We've got the right guy to build something and it is happening right now...and he won't have any problem getting an excellent and winning roster to Fayetteville, of 105 guys.
CBB won't have a problem getting the players he wants to achieve his goals.

" GO HOGS "

hoofer

Quote from: Deep Shoat on September 23, 2014, 04:15:51 pm
http://www.bishoplynch.org/Football

It usually helps if you know what the hell you are talking about.

So far this season, DBL has played Dallas Carter (yes, THAT Dallas Carter), Chicago Fenwick (yes, THAT Chicago), 6A Garland Sasche, and 4A #2 Celina.

RWIII is as real as it gets.  I guarantee you, his competition has been excellent through 4 games.

THAT Dallas Carter?? THE Dallas Carter that is 1-4 this year? THE Dallas Carter that has lost 55-8, 48-7, and 35-7 this year? Oh, THAT Dallas Carter.

Sasche is a very good team. Celina is 4A in Texas is about like a Bauxite size school in Arkansas. They are typically good for their level but it's not big time football relative to big competition in Texas.

But yes, THE Dallas Carter. They are awful.

hoofer

Quote from: COCHISE on September 23, 2014, 04:25:56 pm
Even the 10 of 14 figure is a little misleading because we have a top 5 kicker and they never get ranked over a three star.

Maybe there is a good reason kickers are not ranked that high. We signed a top 5 kicker last year and by all accounts, we don't have a fg kicking weapon outside 40 yards this year.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: hoofer on September 23, 2014, 10:37:41 pm
Maybe there is a good reason kickers are not ranked that high. We signed a top 5 kicker last year and by all accounts, we don't have a fg kicking weapon outside 40 yards this year.

I thought we are redshirting that kid this year, trying to get by with adequate to have 4 full years with the kid, and hopefully 4 years of better teams.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

Deep Shoat

Quote from: hoofer on September 23, 2014, 10:35:00 pm
THAT Dallas Carter?? THE Dallas Carter that is 1-4 this year? THE Dallas Carter that has lost 55-8, 48-7, and 35-7 this year? Oh, THAT Dallas Carter.

Sasche is a very good team. Celina is 4A in Texas is about like a Bauxite size school in Arkansas. They are typically good for their level but it's not big time football relative to big competition in Texas.

But yes, THE Dallas Carter. They are awful.
Your ignorance is showing.  It doesn't matter what Carter's record is, there are athletes on the field.  As for Celina, they were number 2 last week before DBL beat them.  The number 1 team was busy beating the hell out of Rogers Heritage at the same time.

I grew up in Texas.  I know exactly how good Celina is.  There likely aren't ten teams in Arkansas that can beat them this season.

RWIII is legit.  His numbers came against talented football teams.  Not some half assed private schools like you tried to portray it.
All Gas, No Brakes!

flippinhogmana

+1 Go for it Deep Shoat!  I like your passion.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

redeye

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 23, 2014, 04:06:47 pm
Everybody chooses and picks recruits carefully. With an 85 scholarship limit and the average attrition rates that you see with recruits from the time they step foot on campus, everyone is careful about who they sign. It's just that teams like Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Tennessee and Texas A&M have been fishing in higher grade waters for years, than we have. They have been fishing for Marlin while we fished for small mouth bass and occasionally hooked a Marlin.

Our attrition rates with some classes over the last 4-5 years has been atrocious, so I would have to say that we weren't all that careful about who we chose to sign and then that is a problem that is compounded by a staff that didn't work as hard at recruiting as this staff appears to be working.

But I don't think it is merely a matter of working harder at recruiting. I think that as you pointed out, our "pitch' to recruits is different than it has been in the past and recruits are buying in.

Additionally though, I don't think that this staff is hesitant to go after any big time recruit at any level, in any state, no matter who is already recruiting them, provided that in pre-qualifying them as a prospect for our program, we find that they are the kind of kids that we want in our program.

Character and program chemistry seem to be bigger factors than they have been in the past.

It's easier when those high grade waters are in your backyard.  You can still catch big fish on a weekend trip, but the locals still know the best spots to fish.  I'm not being pessimistic, because I do believe we can recruit well, but it'll never be as easy as it is for those more familiar with those high grade waters.

I completely agree that our attrition rates are going down and that will be huge for us.  I also think the bottom of each class is getting stronger.  In the past, we've talked about having fewer 2-stars and our heralded punter is the only one in this class, so far.  Even more impressive, every other commit is at least a high 3-star.  I may be alone, but the bottom of this class may be more impressive then the top, imo.  Of course, that all ties in to what you were saying about coaches recruiting harder.

Listening to Sumlin's press conference yesterday, I was surprised by how often he mentioned a players high school ranking.  He's certainly a great recruiter and A&M certainly has a lot of great talent, but I prefer a coach that doesn't need others to evaluate talent for him.  I'm sure Bielema uses recruiting services to gain an advantage, but I doubt he pays much attention to how many stars they award players.  He seems to prefer the old-fashioned method of watching them in person and getting to know the player.

fakebobholt

We have offense covered. Everyone is now bladting BP for his poor defense recruiting. The weakest part of our team is the defense, we are going to have to recruit better on that side of the ball. We have enough TE's and WR's, we need better players on defense to really compete at the highest level. We have improved recruiting but we may still be 10th or so in the SEC and in the bottom 2 or 3 in the west. Just shows how freaking tough our division is.

Deep Shoat

Quote from: fakebobholt on September 24, 2014, 08:25:12 am
We have offense covered. Everyone is now bladting BP for his poor defense recruiting. The weakest part of our team is the defense, we are going to have to recruit better on that side of the ball. We have enough TE's and WR's, we need better players on defense to really compete at the highest level. We have improved recruiting but we may still be 10th or so in the SEC and in the bottom 2 or 3 in the west. Just shows how freaking tough our division is.
The defenders we are bringing in look pretty legit.  I expect that trend to continue and improve.
All Gas, No Brakes!

Pork Twain

I am one of the guys that has been worried about DB/LB recruiting but the improvement on the field tells me that they are getting the job done.  We continue to improve with each and every game.

jjdlc

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on September 23, 2014, 10:49:14 pm
I thought we are redshirting that kid this year, trying to get by with adequate to have 4 full years with the kid, and hopefully 4 years of better teams.

I don't think anyone has come out and said it, but I get the feeling that is exactly what they are doing, getting the kid a year of preparation so we have him for 4 years as we get better.

KeithStone

Quote from: Pork Twain on September 24, 2014, 09:39:08 am
I am one of the guys that has been worried about DB/LB recruiting but the improvement on the field tells me that they are getting the job done.  We continue to improve with each and every game.

I completely agree, here are some random stats for the CBB lovers:

In 7 seasons as Wisconsin's HC, CBB either recruited or developed 16 current NFL Defenders.  Of those 16 only 1 was a 4*, 8 3 stars, 5 2 stars, and 2 guys that didn't even show up on Rivals as ever being a prospect.  The 2 stars and unrated players combined for 48 appearances in NFL games last year and have accumulated 385 tackles, 40.5 sacks, and 8 forced fumbles cumulative for their NFL careers.

16 NFL defenders in 7 years isn't bad, just over 2.25 a year, so what about the other 8.75 players on the field.

In 2005, CBB's first or second year as DC, Wisconsin ranked 92 in total defense.
In 2006, CBB's first year as HC, Wisconsin jumped up to 5th in total defense, 2nd against the pass, and 2nd in scoring defense.
If you go check the stats you'll see I chose the best two years to make my example, but this is still factual, their D was transformed from among the worst to among the best in 1 year.

That's what he was able to do with all these kids many of you are so eager to throw away over highlight videos.  It's difficult to discern the level of a kid's character, desire, and leadership from a video.

HogMantheIntruder

Quote from: KeithStone on September 24, 2014, 01:40:21 pm
I completely agree, here are some random stats for the CBB lovers:

In 7 seasons as Wisconsin's HC, CBB either recruited or developed 16 current NFL Defenders.  Of those 16 only 1 was a 4*, 8 3 stars, 5 2 stars, and 2 guys that didn't even show up on Rivals as ever being a prospect.  The 2 stars and unrated players combined for 48 appearances in NFL games last year and have accumulated 385 tackles, 40.5 sacks, and 8 forced fumbles cumulative for their NFL careers.

16 NFL defenders in 7 years isn't bad, just over 2.25 a year, so what about the other 8.75 players on the field.

In 2005, CBB's first or second year as DC, Wisconsin ranked 92 in total defense.
In 2006, CBB's first year as HC, Wisconsin jumped up to 5th in total defense, 2nd against the pass, and 2nd in scoring defense.
If you go check the stats you'll see I chose the best two years to make my example, but this is still factual, their D was transformed from among the worst to among the best in 1 year.

That's what he was able to do with all these kids many of you are so eager to throw away over highlight videos.  It's difficult to discern the level of a kid's character, desire, and leadership from a video.
I think this is my favorite post of the week!  I have been truly amazed at how much of a turn around we have made in one year on offense, but I think I'm more impressed with the progress on defense.  I honestly can't remember the last time I saw significant improvement in our D.  I know it was when Nutt was here, though.  Since then, we've been waiting and hearing every year that this year they'll be better, but it never comes to fruition.  Equally impressive is that he has been able to make tremendous strides with only the players he was left with and one recruiting class.  I can't imagine what our O-line and defense is going to be like when we have Junior and Senior CBB recruits coached by this staff.  It's gonna be NASTY!
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

Been10Hog

Quote from: hoofer on September 23, 2014, 02:47:42 pm
Do you even know what you are talking about? Elite Texas High schools? Dallas Bishop is a small private school in Dallas. They play the equivalent to a bunch of Episcopal Collegiate (LR) schools. Rich private schools with a bunch of small, slow white kids. It's not that competitive at all. He looks good on film but I have some serious concerns about the level of competition he is facing. I don't see the burst of speed everyone else claims when you factor in the competition.

Here is their schedule:

Midland Christian
Argyle Liberty Christian
John Paul II
Ft Worth Nolan
Bishop Dunne
Trinity Christian
Prestonwood Christian
Dallas Morning News seemed to think enough of him to give him offensive player of the week!

pignparadise

Quote from: immahog on September 23, 2014, 10:25:56 am
commits are a 4* on at least one service .....That is a Hell of a job by this staff  WE HOGS Wooo Damn Pig
Josh Allen is a 4* on scout. That makes 11 out of 15
"The race is long.. and in the end it's only with yourself.....", Baz Luhrman "Sunscreen"

HogMantheIntruder

Quote from: secneahog on September 23, 2014, 10:37:57 am
Rb Rawleigh should be a four star. The season he is having is amazing. Watch his video of the couple games he's been dominate in so far, vs elite Texas high schools.
Link please.
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

MP24

January 01, 2019, 08:53:32 am »
I love me some Chelsea Dungee.

immahog

No lions No tigers No bears.....ImmaHog

COCHISE

Quote from: pignparadise on September 25, 2014, 10:38:49 am
Josh Allen is a 4* on scout. That makes 11 out of 15
Link? I'm seeing 3*, #31 OG.

MP24

Quote from: immahog on September 25, 2014, 01:48:55 pm

those a from this year right ???

I believe the Celina, Fenwick and Dallas Carter games are from this year.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1795303/highlights
January 01, 2019, 08:53:32 am »
I love me some Chelsea Dungee.