Started by mbd1475, September 23, 2014, 10:16:30 am

Previous topic - Next topic

mbd1475

up 8 spots with Gragg commit.  And #21 on Rivals.  #WPS  :razorback:

EastMemphisHog

immahog

No lions No tigers No bears.....ImmaHog

RazorBassin

That makes 6 of the 7 SEC-W teams inside the top 20.  This league is going to be brutal for years!

EastMemphisHog

And we are only going to go up. Only 13 commitments. Miami is sitting at 11 with just as many 4 stars as us. They just have 8 more 3 stars.

secneahog

Recruits around the nation are noticing us rising. Pettway and Graham...C'mon down!!
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

mbd1475

Mine shows 19 now but it was definitely 18 on my screen when I posted it.  Strange. 

ldfergu

Not to take anything away from our punter commit but...without counting him would our rank be higher?

LJHOG

Quote from: StoneTemplePiglets on September 23, 2014, 12:19:59 pm
Not to take anything away from our punter commit but...without counting him would our rank be higher?
3* punters are rare.

Hawgzinbowlz

Quote from: secneahog on September 23, 2014, 10:40:19 am
Recruits around the nation are noticing us rising. Pettway and Graham...C'mon down!!
Don't forget Barnett... Coach Pittman hasn't.

" GO HOGS "

31to6

No. Each player is worth some amount of points on 247. He is contributing 3.37 points (out of 199ish) to our score on 247. Now once your class gets bigger, the lowest few players either don't count at all or count very little.

Rivals only calculates based on the best 20 players in a class. The 21st and subsequent players do not count at all toward class ranking

On 247 the contribution tapers off so much on the bottom few players that they might as well not count. Look at South Carolina's highly ranked class, for example, 28 total players but the bottom 7 contribute less than 1 point each toward the total. Their 20th best player has a .8569 composite score and contributes 1.33 points toward their total whereas Deon Stewart actually has a lower rating (.8545) but contributes 6.35 points toward our team ranking score.

Music City Hog

Quote from: LJHOG on September 23, 2014, 12:57:14 pm
3* punters are rare.

No, it would be lower.

hawgsmellgud

"I've never been a numbers guy," Mallett said. "If you play the game for yourself, don't play. I don't want you on the team. There's one goal we've got here. If you're not trying to reach that goal, don't come to Arkansas."

Cale

Interesting thing I saw over on rivals. Typically class rankings are ranked by compiled how many points total. If you filter and sort by star average, the hogs are 13th overall @3.5 star average.
Quote from: jst01 on January 06, 2018, 06:00:42 pm<br />Maybe we are a baseball school <br />

redeye

Quote from: Cale on September 26, 2014, 11:57:14 pm
Interesting thing I saw over on rivals. Typically class rankings are ranked by compiled how many points total. If you filter and sort by star average, the hogs are 13th overall @3.5 star average.

I'm going off memory here, but if you go back through the years, I believe our highest was in 2009, when it was 3.26.  Unfortunately, our current average will likely drop, as we've likely added most of our biggest recruits already.

Cale

Quote from: redeye on September 27, 2014, 12:13:24 am
I'm going off memory here, but if you go back through the years, I believe our highest was in 2009, when it was 3.26.  Unfortunately, our current average will likely drop, as we've likely added most of our biggest recruits already.
you may be right, but I think it'll depend a lot on our finish this year
Quote from: jst01 on January 06, 2018, 06:00:42 pm<br />Maybe we are a baseball school <br />

redeye

Quote from: Cale on September 27, 2014, 12:17:40 am
you may be right, but I think it'll depend a lot on our finish this year

Oh, definitely!

I only say that because we already have commitments from our highest rated instate players and they always make up the majority of our highest rated recruits.  If we we're somehow able to maintain the average you posted, it would be the best class in modern history, at least on paper, without any doubt.  Historically, I think our class has averaged around 2.9 - 3.0.

intelligence

Quote from: 31to6 on September 23, 2014, 04:33:27 pm
No. Each player is worth some amount of points on 247. He is contributing 3.37 points (out of 199ish) to our score on 247. Now once your class gets bigger, the lowest few players either don't count at all or count very little.

Rivals only calculates based on the best 20 players in a class. The 21st and subsequent players do not count at all toward class ranking

On 247 the contribution tapers off so much on the bottom few players that they might as well not count. Look at South Carolina's highly ranked class, for example, 28 total players but the bottom 7 contribute less than 1 point each toward the total. Their 20th best player has a .8569 composite score and contributes 1.33 points toward their total whereas Deon Stewart actually has a lower rating (.8545) but contributes 6.35 points toward our team ranking score.

sounds like a flawed metric to me

31to6

Quote from: intelligence on September 27, 2014, 12:36:48 am
sounds like a flawed metric to me
Of course it is flawed. But is a class with 35 3* players better than a class with 2 5*s, 10 4*'s and 8 3*'s?

They have to do something to balance quality vs quantity.

*shrug*

Dominicanhog

Quote from: 31to6 on September 28, 2014, 10:30:36 pm
Of course it is flawed. But is a class with 35 3* players better than a class with 2 5*s, 10 4*'s and 8 3*'s?

They have to do something to balance quality vs quantity.

*shrug*

only 17 of either class ever graduate and truly help the team, solid recruiting and coaching are as big\ bigger than the accumulation of stars/talent. Got to have all 3...